Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > Untitled

A Time For Talking

by nalakitty01 0 reviews

The good doctor pays a surprisingly informative visit to Blight.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Sci-fi - Published: 2010-01-11 - Updated: 2010-01-12 - 1233 words

0Unrated
Before entering the next airlock, she and her guards adorned protective masks, no different from the ones utilized at hospitals.

"Not sure I'll need you on this one," The doctor said, looking back at the guards. "Maybe just one of you."

They nodded in tandem and she wondered vaguely if they practiced, but they did as she instructed.

When she walked inside the room, there was no one there. After a moment of confusion, a door to her right hissed quietly and slide open. A boy, identical to the last she'd seen, looked at them in surprise. After a brief pause, he nodded once and walked over to the table where a green-tinted mask sat. He slipped it on in a practiced motion and fixed it into place. She almost held her breath, but she realized that was exactly what he had been doing since he had seen them.

He turned around again and looked at them, eyes gliding over their own masks. "Will I not need this? It might get in the way."

She took a few seconds to regain her composure and shook her head. "Keep it for now. I'll probably have you take it off later."

He nodded once and took a seat at the table. "I'm not used to this. You tell me what you want me to do."

She walked closer, feeling more confident after observing his calm, unthreatening demeanor. "I'll be sure to do that, but you won't have to do much." She set her bag down and pulled out her stethoscope. "Stay still and quiet."

He nodded, but said nothing. When she checked his lungs, she heard a strange, crackling sound. Concerned, she moved around behind him, pushing him forward just a little, and placed the stethoscope against his back.

"Breath slowly and deeply." She instructed.

"Something wrong?" He asked after he had done so.

"Something doesn't sound right. Your lungs . . . they crackle quite loudly when you breathe."

She expected him to be worried or nervous, but the response she received was completely unexpected. He laughed. The laugh sent him into a small coughing fit, making her concern worsen.

He shook his head, a hand on his throat. "That poison you all love so much . . . has to be produced somewhere, doesn't it? That's where I suspect it comes from, seeing as how I exhale it."

"Does it cause problems for you?" She asked as she continued to listen to his lungs. "Any pain or discomfort?"

"Some discomfort at times. Mostly at night, but it's more of a slight, irritating pressure than anything else. I've gotten used to it. It doesn't bother my sleep patterns much. But, if you've been listening to my actual voice," He glanced back at her a little, "You would've noticed the way it sounds. If I laugh or get too out of breath, I start to cough. It doesn't feel like anything's stuck or stopping me from breathing, but it just . . . I get that impossible to ignore . . ."

"Tickle?" She suggested.

He nodded. "Yeah, that's about right."

"Well," She straightened up, pulling the stethoscope off, "I don't see that's it been interfering with your health, but I'll have to keep an eye on it."

"You're sticking around, then?" He asked, looking up at her.

"Is that so surprising?"

He nodded again. "Not too many faces here are familiar. I think they switch out personnel on purpose."

She shrugged. "I wouldn't know." The guard behind her cleared his throat and she turned back to the task at hand. When the normal check-up was over, she pulled a small device out of her bag and handed it to him. "Please breathe into this."

Blight took it from her, looking confused, but reached up and disconnected his mask anyway. "Don't you already have enough?" His eyes flicked towards the device he'd just removed as he set it on the table next to him.

"This is for my own, personal studies."

He accepted the answer and after a couple minutes, pulled the device away from his mouth, capping it quickly. "For your own, personal studies," He said, cleaning off the top, "Let that hit air and it'll be gone within a few minutes."

She took the device back a little hesitantly. She hadn't known that.

"Can I know your name?" Blight asked when she had packed her bag and stood.

She paused for a short moment. "Natalie. . . Natalie Parker. Do you have a name?"

He smiled a little. "The boys call me Blight. Not sure where they picked that up, but it stuck. You can call me that if you want."

She nodded and moved towards the exit. "I just might."

He leaned back in his chair, fixing his mask back into place. "Would you like a few pointers with the others?"

She stopped once more, paused and turned to look at him. "I'm listening."

"First of all, the boy in that direction," He pointed back to the room she had been in before, "Is called Solace. He's not allowed to touch anyone, even though I know he'll never hurt anyone. Just a small gesture will promise you complete compliance." He shrugged. "Even just holding his hand, or if you're too uncomfortable for that, putting a hand on his shoulder."

She nodded slowly, taking it in, and moved to sit down across from him.

He looked to the guard warily.

She waved the guard away and after a moment, he left reluctantly. "And the others?" She was too nervous and desperate to pass up the chance at information.

Blight smiled knowingly and pointed in the opposite direction of Solace's room. "The next room over is Vex. He won't cause you any trouble, but whatever you do, don't tell him to turn his music down. If it's too loud, keep repeating that you can't hear him. He'll eventually do it and as long as he turns it down on his own, he's fine. Just don't tell him to.

"After that is Havoc. He's just bitter. A couple of tips. Don't give him advice on what he should or shouldn't eat. He'll only get angry and do what he wants, anyway. Don't even hint at anything being dangerous to us. It doesn't matter if it doesn't sound like a threat to you, if it's even remotely threatening, he'll flip." His gaze flicked towards the door, as if he could see the guards beyond. "There should be at least three of you in there, just in case. . . If you feel the need to talk to him," He continued, "Talk to him about Solace. If it's nothing bad, he'll stay as calm and distracted as you'll ever see him.

"And afterwards . . . is Chaos. . ." His tone was no longer joking or good-spirited. He was all calm and sobriety. "Say as little as possible. Get out as soon as possible. And do not make eye contact. Not even your reflection in the glass. . ." He looked away, towards the floor. "Don't try to talk to him. . . Don't try to understand him. . . It's impossible. What he doesn't want you to know, you won't find out. So just . . ." He shook his head, "Get in and get out." He stood up and held a hand out towards the door. "You should be going, Dr. Parker. I assume you have a timetable to keep."

She stood up and moved to leave, but stopped at the door. "Thank you."
Sign up to rate and review this story