Categories > Comics > X-Men > The Animal & The Hunter: Wolverine VS Predator

Wolverine vs Predator Chapter 2: Arrival

by warjournalist 0 reviews

Chapter two in this tale of Animal vs Hunter. PG-13 for language

Category: X-Men - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Horror,Sci-fi - Characters: Wolverine - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2010-02-09 - Updated: 2010-02-09 - 1132 words - Complete

1Exciting
The Animal & The Hunter
Wolverine VS Predator

by warjournalist

Chapter Two: Arrival

Logan had mixed feelings about Mexico. On one hand the people were nice and the government wasn’t too restrictive on mutants. But on the other hand it was so damn hot. He had lived in Canada all his life and had become one with the cold, and the heat pissed him off. But there was a lot of desert, which gave him a lot of time to himself.
After passing through Mexico he made it to Central America. The heat was replaced by humidity, which he didn’t mind as much. He wandered through the jungle with nothing but the clothes on his back and a duffel bag filled with personal items. He traveled at a leisurely pace, so he could see what the jungle had to offer. He found a panther hiding in the bushes at one point. Stupid animal didn’t know who it was messing with, so he let it go. A few others weren’t as lucky. By his third day he had accumulated a few tiger claws and several alligator teeth from a bit of trouble going down the river.
He passed a few primitive villages as he went. Each accepted him peacefully as just a passerby. When he told, or motioned rather, where he was going, each village became more superstitious. Telling him stories about mysterious jungle spirits. Until now he had paid them no mind. He had arrived in a village that offered him food, shelter, and some fresh clothing for a few simple services. They were even a bit modernized. There was a villager who had a satellite phone, and a few battery-powered appliances here and there.
Normally he liked the quiet, but the quiet in the village was an uneasy one. He could almost see the tension in the air and it made him nervous. And being nervous pissed him off. Every little chore people had asked of him dealt with going into the jungle. He finally snapped on someone who wanted some fresh firewood. She told him about disappearances that had been happening lately. People would go into the jungle on a simple errand and never come back. Twelve people had disappearing before everyone just stopped leaving. Logan was a loner, but he’d always had a soft spot for oppressed people. The thought of people being too scared to leave their homes made him angry.
When he left, he left his bag there, saying he’d be back for it. The woman didn’t believe him but agreed to keep it anyhow. Now here he was; on a ridge overlooking the jungle, not far from the little town. He was wearing a pair of brown steel-toed boots and a pair of light blue jeans. He hated the heat, but he hated shorts and sandals more. His torso sported a plain white tank top under a light brown leather jacket. Again, the heat pissed him off, but it was his favorite jacket. It was the only gift he’d ever received. The kids at Charles’s school had bought it for him. He pretended not to care at the time, but he always wore it whenever he went out. On his head he had a bright tan cowboy hat, which he had bartered from a villager for a jungle boar.
As he looked over the ridge into the large valley where everyone had disappeared, something primal took him over. He unleashed a long, loud howl, fitting of his animal namesake. The sound echoed over the valley, warning the creatures of his arrival. A lot of things in this world pissed him off, but very few things got him worked up the way he was. One was the killing of innocents. The other, the chance for a fight. As anxious as he was, he climbed down the ridge slowly. He wanted to give whatever-it-was plenty of time. He thought it would need it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He had been in the jungle for just over twenty solar cycles. His arrival had been perfect; no navigational malfunctions, no damage to the ship, and no witnesses. Since his arrival he had done much. He had discovered and destroyed his predecessor’s ship. It had been hidden in the jungle for twenty of the planets years, but their technology was such that its power supply never needed replenishing.
He had used the ships self-destruct system, setting it to implode, rather than draw attention with an explosion. He discovered the aftermath of his predecessor’s self-destruct bomb. He also carried one as standard equipment so as to leave no trace if he was defeated. He didn’t believe in using the devices; firstly because he believed in a preserving a good fight, rather than pretending it never happened. Secondly, it felt a sign of weakness to him. When he landed he usually took it off and stored it in his ship, but he had tried very hard to get to this planet and preferred to be prepared.
He had found files his predecessor had left. He described the inhabitants of this planet as violent and clever, but physically inferior. His lack of recent entries and the blast crater were enough evidence to assume that the previous warrior had been defeated. He had hunted, examined, and sampled the wildlife of the jungle, which had proven easy enough.
While he was hunting during the mid-time of the solar cycle, he had followed a large feline to a resting spot. As he was approaching, a feral cry echoed across the jungle valley, causing the feline to wake and escape his blades. He was furious. He recorded the strange cry and played it again and again until he had memorized it. He searched his predecessor’s audio files and found a similar sound, realizing that it signified a challenge by the planets dominant inhabitants. As he read this, he became excited. It would be his first real encounter with an inhabitant other than those it had recently been studying. Their physical make-up proved interesting, but a poor food source, and an even poorer trophy.
He was now heading toward the cry’s origin; the base of a cliff where he had captured other beings. He leaped through the trees at an incredible pace; excited to finally meet a challenge. He didn’t use the ground so as not to leave tracks. Being only a reconnaissance mission he brought only his spear, the least likely weapon to kill. He preferred to examine the adversary before engaging it. He also decided he may leave a trace of himself to inform the being of his existence if he felt it deserved it. It would need all the warning it could get either way.
Sign up to rate and review this story