Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Portals, Steam and Magic

Finding family and differences.

by bloodylord 3 reviews

First meetings take place and both Harry and Hermione make their first decisions.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry,Hermione - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2010-02-13 - Updated: 2010-02-14 - 4067 words

5Original
Portals Steam and Magic

By Bloodylord aka Deathblade2584

Disclaimer: See Chapter One.

Rating: PG-13 or Teen

Title: Finding family and differences.


Steam World

Lord Harold Potter stood at the door to the medical ward waiting for Hermione Granger. She was the young woman who had appeared through a portal in front of Kings Cross Station. He had turned the information that he had collected to the Department of Magic Studies at Oxford. He was not sure what the portal was, it looked like a blood portal, but it was silver not the light blue color of a fully formed blood portal. Based on her interview he knew that she had jump though it to escape a Death Eater attack. He did not how she had got here, but he did have some of his best scientist looking over the portal data. The portal itself had slowly over the course of an hour shrunk and had at the end of the hour vanished with a pop. He would have to rely on those scientists to get her home.

He looked at the door and saw the young woman, who he no choice but to accept was an alternate version of his wife. He reminded himself of his wife’s favorite saying knowledge was gained by questioning what you know. It was that basis that had the physicist of the British Empire talking and redefining there theories on how the world worked and was created. There was more then one reality as they had proof of its existence, now the question became how to get one little girl back home.

Break Break Break

Hermione was shocked at how fast these people moved and at how kind they were. She had jumped through the portal the day before. Now she was being released and arrangements had been made to provide her with both clothes and lodgings.

As she walked though the door she saw two men and a young woman. One was a tall muscular man in a green uniform of a rifle officer. She thought she knew him, but could not place his face. She could not remember where she had seen him before he had a face like she should know him, but she could not think of a name. The second man was dressed in a black suit with a top hat and carrying a black cane, he had a pair of pistols in holsters on his belt. She remembered his face, Harold Potter, the Royal Wizard, the man that had insulted her. The women reminded her of her mother, but she could not think of who it could be.

She stepped forward and was about to speak when the man in the rifle uniform spoke.

“Miss Granger, I am Lieutenant Neville Longbottom, I would like to formally apologize for attacking you in such a vicious manner. In my defense, you had a wand, and my unit had been deployed to prevent a raid by wander rebels. I ask for your forgiveness and offer my services in restitution for my offense.”

Hermione was shocked this man was Neville Longbottom, he was old, at least twenty five. He was also more confident then she remembered and a maybe a little arrogant. She needed say something after that apology and took a moment to compose her response to him and spoke.

“Lieutenant Longbottem, I accept you apology and understand you reasoning, but I ask that you think before reacting next time. You remind me of a friend of mind and I would hate for you to die because of a rash action on you part.”

After hearing her response Neville took his leave and boarded a steam tricycle and left. When Neville was out of sight Harold Potter spoke.

“That was kind of you to forgive him such an attack. You and my wife must not be that different after all. Then again, you may share many of the same experiences.”

At that point an elbow from the woman made him pause. Hermione took a good look at her and finally realized that the women had to be her, but here she was Hermione Potter nee Granger, Lord Potter’s wife. An older version of her own face looked back at her that was why she had though of her mother when she had seen her face. As she identified the woman Harold resumed speaking.

“Where are my manners, I am Lord Harold Jamison Evans Potter, and this is my beautiful wife Hermione. My father, James Potter, Duke of Griffins Hollow, asked that I retrieve you and take you to his house in London and to see that you are comfortable. Please, come with me.”

He led the party to a car waiting at the curb. A man in black, red and green livery opened the door to a car of the likes which she had never seen. It was long, with an exposed driver at the front, right over the wheels, like an old carriage. Next, there was a passenger compartment, which also looked like it belonged to a carriage then a car with two rows of seats opposing each other, each covered in dark red velvet. Then the car continued with the same roof line, and was an enclosed space that seemed to contain the boiler and a feeding mechanism. Behind the boiler was a pair of exposed seats that remind her of the foot mans seats on a carriage. The driver was also dress in the livery and waited patiently as Hermione and Lord and Lady Potter boarded the car. The other man closed the door and walked out of sigh, most likely heading for the seats at the rear. The two troll like men from yesterday were also present as were the two women, all for were waiting besides a tricycle, with a large front wheel, the drivers seat, and then a boiler mounted over the rear wheels with a chain drive leading to the wheels form some type of motor.

First the tricycles moved and then the car started to move and quickly gathered speed, she looked out the window and saw that there were few cars in the street and most had coat of arms on there doors. She soon turned back and looked at the couple in the opposing seat. As she did so lady Potter spoke.

“Please forgive my husband. He still suffers form the inability to think before opening his mouth. Does your Harold similar have a similar problem of failing to think before speaking?”

“Actually, Harry, he does not use Harold. I am not sure what his proper name. Is hard to get to speak, he prefers to hid in the background.” Hermione Granger answered Hermione Potter nee Granger.

“I am shocked Harold hates to be called Harry and only allows myself and his mother to use the shortened from of his name. So what is he like? How can someone who was raised in the Royal Court not be used to attention even if they are not outspoken.”

“Harry was not raised in the Royal Court, far from it. He was raised by his aunt and uncle, in Surrey, outside of London. I believe that he was abused, verbally if not physically. I think that he was conditioned to hide in the background as he was not allowed to out do their son.”

Harold Potter, looked at Hermione and asked the question on his mind “Why would He be raised by those bigoted fools, who have gone out of there way to offend my parents at ever turn?”

“Most likely it is because Dumbledore left Harry with his relatives and prevented everyone else form looking in on him.”

“I think that I dislike your Dumbledore more then I dislike our own. But how would Dumbledore get him away form his parents. He did not kill them, did he?”

“No, Voldemort killed Lily and James Potter on October 31 of 1981.”

“Well that answers that question, damn Voldemort to hell, again. But enough about your Harry Potter for moment we can do nothing for him now. However we need to discuss more personal matters, specifically how you came to be here and what you with to do now. You need to know that you have appeared to have traveled between realities. The portal that you have came to this world has closed and we do not at this time know of how to create a portal to return you home.”

“So what are my options?” Hermione Granger asked, with a look of concern on her face.

“Well, you are going to be staying at Potter House, the Potter family’s London Estate. You could go out to the country and visit Griffins Hollow in Wales. If you select to stay at Potter House in London, you have the option of attending the Royal Academy of Magic, where you can learn about this world and its magic, and maybe next time you meet these Death Eaters of your will not have to run.” Harold Potter said, speaking as Lord Harold Potter, the heir of James Potter, Duke of Griffins Hollow and as the Royal Wizard, who was charged with increasing the number of mages and improving their knowledge and abilities.

Break Break Break

Home reality

Cus was a house imp, though many wizards would merely believe that he was a tall, well developed house elf. The house imps and house elves were related, the elves were the descendants of enslave house imps, the result of the use of various potions and spells to control them. They had been enslaved as wizards whose servants fled when they were abused. More importantly he was a young house imp, he was a mere 30 years old, and was tired of waiting for the elders imps and the others to act and find the young Duke.

He concentrated on the young Duke and prepared to teleport to his positions, but first he looked into the area that the young Duke was in. He was making sure that there were no wards to stop him form reaching the young Duke.

Break break break
In the ally Behind the Leaky Cauldron, Immediately after leaving Dumbledore’s Residents.

Harry Potter was pissed, but still in control. He knew it was easy to say that he would destroy the pure blood movement, and he was willing to do so but he needed a plan. He had no idea how to destroy the purebloods and was smart enough to know that he needed to plan. He was thinking while he waited for the majority of the shops to go on their lunch breaks, hoping that most people would leave the alley for lunch.

“POP”

The sudden noise startled Harry, leading him to draw the wand that he had stolen from Dumbledore and point it at the source of the noise. He was surprised to see that he was pointing his wand into the air above a head of a tall house elf that was facing away form him. He quickly lowered his aim so that the wand was pointed right at the elf’s head, he was unwilling to take chances, not after all the damage that Dobby had done in his second year.

The house elf turned and Harry noticed that opposed to the normal pillow case or other covering, the house elf was wearing a uniform of some sort. Harry looked closer at the elf and saw that on its right breast was a family’s coat of arms, which matched the colors of the uniform. The elf was also much healthier looking then Dobby and the other elves that he had seen, it was taller and bulkier.

“Young Duke Harold, I have found you.” Cus said in a high picked voice. “You can now come home.”

The statement was shocking, and actually froze Harry’s mind for a moment. Cus however was a smart house imp and did not move, knowing that when shocked a wizard could accidently react before thinking. Cus was sure that drawing a reaction from the young Duke would be very dangerous, after all he was pointing a wand at Cus’ head.

“What did you say!” Harry exclaimed.

“I said that I had found you, Harold Potter, Duke of Griffins Hollow and that you can please come home now. England is not safe, you are not amongst your own people but these nasty Normans and Saxons.” Cus replied to the Young Lord’s question.

“Who are you? What are you?” Harry asked remembering the summer before his second year when he first met Dobby.

“I am Cus, a house imp loyal to House Potter.” Cus said as if the last question’s answer was obvious.

“House Potter? Duke?” Harry said as his mind started to close down, there were too many shocks, Hermione’s death, Dumbledore’s failure to protect her, and this conversation with this creature.

“My Duke, I feel that it is best to speak to Master Bunizi, I will lead you to him, I Believe that there are questions that you need to ask some one who knows the answers better then I, plus he can arrange transport to home.”

Harry carefully considered his options, he did not have much of a plan and the creature was acting as if it wanted to be helpful more importantly it was willing to lead him to someone who could answer questions. Besides voldemort did not use creatures like house elves, imps what ever. He doubted that learning about this House Potter could hurt, and it might even help. Finally he replied, “Lead the way Cus.”

Cus lead him in to the ally but only when as far as one of the blank walls across from Gringotts, the wizarding worlds only bank. It was strange that not even death eaters would dare risk a confrontation with goblins in their own bank. Part of the reason was that the bank would take all the assets that it could form those who attacked. Those assets had funded many goblin rebellions. Harry was not wizard raised but he had learned from the Dursley’s to keep his mouth closed and his eyes and ears open to blend in and that meant pretending to sleep in history class, which was one of his favorites. It was also the reason that he had chosen his electives, easy classes to convince people that he was not a threat, that may have been a mistake, but he had allowed Ron to convince to be lazy in spite of his intention to actually learn runes, languages had always interested him.

Cus walked to the wall and tapped several bricks in a pattern, the same one needed to open the ally. The wall opened into a stone archway and revealed a court lined with stone buildings, with slate roofs. A sign proudly proclaimed that this was Venture Court. Cus lead him to one of the buildings, which said P&T Investments and Trust. He opened the door and lead harry to the desk, and loudly stated, “Duke Harold Potter is here to speak with Bunizi.”

A dwarf stood and said, “right this way Duke Potter”, leading the around a counter, through a door and up to flights of stairs, form there he lead Harry and Cus into an outer office with a set of chairs and a pale young woman seated at desk immediately stood and opened the door to the inner office and said “Duke Potter Please go right in, Bunizi has been waiting for this day for a long time.”

“Young Duke Potter it is an honor to meet you at last. I am Bunisi, the manager of Potters English investments and trust accounts and collector of taxes for the alleys and ways accounts. I have had this honor since the 1934, thanks to your grandfather, who convinced your great grandfather to offer me the possistion. Where are my manners, please sit.”

“My grandfather, Master Bunisi, You knew him?”

“Yes, I met him for the first time as a young warrior. We met on the field of battle outside of Griffin Hollow, the seat of the Potter Duchery. This was during the 1929 Goblin War, the last of the true Goblin Wars. Your great grandfather was then Duke Potter and had refused to fight for the ministry. This was seen as a sign of weakness, and my tribe was often at war with the dwarfs that your family ruled. We believed that we could gain the famed riches of the Potters and more importantly disorganize the Potter holdings long enough to attack and conquer those dwarfs. Therefore we attacked the Potter Hall, your family’s castle and more importantly its major seat of power, the attack was a failure. Many Goblin warders died fighting the protective wards of Potter Hall, and then your grandfather led an attack form the flank, he lead the armed wizards loyal to the Potter family and a large number of muggles attacked and pinned us between the wards and the attacking force. I faced your grandfather axe to sword, and lost. Only my helmet saved my life. After the war ended, your grandfather came looking for me and asked me to manage his personal trust accounts and investments. When he became Duke Potter I took over all of the Potter London investments and accounts, we later opened this business. A partnership that was intended to make investments, gaining shares of the business in question in return for money and handling trust accounts designed to do what ever the trust were formed to do. For example, I can tell you that one trust that we handle was established to provide for the education of the Weasley family.”

Harry though, remembering the key to dealing with Goblins, make clear agreements and stick to them. “What is the agreement you came to with my grandfather, Sir?”

“I receive five percent of the profit from the deals and manage the accounts to the best of my ability. In return the Potter family does not join in the Goblin rebellions on the side of the ministry. This lead to the 1946 the Horde was able to force the Ministry to write a new treaty. There was no actual fighting so the wizarding world does not refer to it as a goblin rebellion. This is thanks to a study of the goblin-wizard wars was since 1500 and it was determined that we normally won or fought to a draw, as long as the Potters do not get involved.”

“Your pardon, I am long and seem to be wandering down memory lane more and more. But to business, you are here for a reason, and I need to know what that reason is so that I may assist you. But first I would like to know why you have never responded to my letters concerning the partnership? I may be the manager but it is not my name that draws in the business.”

“What letters? How many have you sent and when?”

“One every month since your 13 birthday? One the fifth of the month. They were to be sent with your account statements, as part of your secure mailings sent by Gringotts using there secure owls.”

“I have not seen them, another thing that I am sure Dumbledore had a hand in I will have to speak to him about this and other issues when he wakes up.”

“Wakes up Duke Potter? You stunned him?”

“No, I punched him several times.”

“Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, you are definitely a potter, resulting to physical means to fight you enemies. I take it then that you are not here with his permission?”

Harry decided that the answer to this question would determine whether the goblin was on his side or another one of Dumbledore’s fools. “No, I don’t have his permission.”

“Then I suggest that we move this conversation to Potter Hall before we continue, once behind those walls and wards Dumbledore will not be able to remove you. Besides you should return home to you family’s seat of power it is far better protected then anywhere in the British Isles or anywhere else. If I may I will take the time to talk to the Hooks tribe and see what has become of those bank statements and the accountings.” That answer makes it clear that Bunizi is on my side and not Dumbledore though Harry.

“It sounds like just the place I need. Yes, please do look into this manner, I do not want to make more enemies right know by acting on assumptions. I need a place and time to plan how I will kill Voldemort and his Death Eaters and anyone else who gets in the way of my vengeance. I will avenge Hermoines death. I will make those fools pay.”

“Hermoine, Duke Potter? May I ask whom you are referring?”

“One of my oldest friends, and the one of the only two that has not betrayed me was killed by Death Eaters, this very after noon. Hermione Granger’s death Has convinved me that this war will only end when voldemort and every one of his death eaters and supporters are dead. I am done with being on the defensive. I plan to take the war to them.”

“Then may I make several suggestions?”

“Please do, you are a trained, blooded warrior, I am a school boy who spent his school years focusing on surviving; I will welcome suggestions.”

“First, economic warfare put out a bounty on death eaters. Second consider who is loyal to you, the Weasley twins for example. Finally, consider allies who have reason to oppose the death eaters. Also look at the people of Griffin’s Hollow it holds many secrets and has for centuries and finally remember to look into how the ministry was created.”

“Thank you, that is good advice, I need to think about what you have said, can you get me an over view of what you and your friend have done since the last review and bring it so that we can go over the accounts. I do not really know what I would be looking at and I do need to learn. If you find out what happened to the account statements and the reviews then it would be a plus.”

“That is acceptable, will tomorrow at noon work for you?”

“Yes, it will. I guess it is time that I go and see Griffin’s Hollow. Thank you for your help.” Harry.

“I will get the portkey, please don’t forget you house imp.” Bunizi said as he walked in to the next room, returning quickly with a key in hand. Holding it out Bunizi said “the activation phrase is home is where the heart is.”

Harry took the portkey, accepted Cus’ hand and activated the Portkey. After the ride he landed in front of a pair of black iron gates.

What Harry did not know was that the intercom had been open and that his story and plan were even now spreading to those the wizarding world had forgotten about, and soon the world would feel this power.

Break. Break. Break.

Steam World
Potter House London’s East End

Hermione Granger looked at the building called Potter House. She was shocked by both the size and the location. It was a large house four stories from the ground to the start of the roof line, with what looked like double high floors. Two wings came out of the central building at ninety-degree angles. The area between them walled off and gated, forming a private street and plaza.

There were several men standing by the main entrance, which must have been twelve feet tall. The men were dressed in black, red and green livery. Harold smiled at her and said

“Welcome to my home.”

To be continued.


AN: Griffin’s Hollow and Godric’s Hollow are different places. Griffins Hollow is the seat of the Potter Barony in Wales, where the Potter family is from, and it is the location of Potter Hall. Godrics Hollow is a small non-magical town in England where James and Lily Potter hide with Harry. It is where James and Lily made there home, it is not part of the traditional Potter family holdings.
Sign up to rate and review this story