Categories > Anime/Manga > Death Note > To Save Your Life

Note 6

by Mikari 0 reviews

Part 6

Category: Death Note - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: L,Misa,Yagami Raito - Published: 2010-02-23 - Updated: 2010-02-24 - 9157 words - Complete

0Unrated
To Save Your Life: Note VI

Page 26: In a Place Seen by Few

"I can't believe that all this time the answer was right in front of me but I didn't know. I can't believe I thought it was just a normal part of the Shinigami World, at most I thought it had a connection to the human world, but not like this. I want to talk to mom, I want to ask her what she wants to do, because I know what needs to be done, but I don't want to. But if she wants me to go through with it, even if I don't want to, then..." It was hard to figure out what Persy was talking about, since you didn't catch the conversation from the beginning, but it was obvious it was something important.

As the scene progressed, Watari occasionally looked over his shoulder. He paused for a moment and asked. "Have you ever felt like you're being watched?" The question made you think.

Countless times you had felt like you were being watched when no one was around and everything was quiet and still. When there was nothing that could occupy your mind and distract you, you felt like there was someone there. You shrugged it off as nothing, just a trick of the human mind when it wasn't occupied. Then later you realized it must have been Traizo all along.

Could it be that Watari's odd feeling was because you were watching? You've heard people say that humans have an extra sense. Maybe that feeling really was because he knew deep in his subconscious that someone was watching. Weather it was that or not, the point was that you would continue to listen and get whatever message they needed to communicate.

"I guess so, everyone feels like that sometimes," Persy admitted.

"The flow of light from the sky, invisible in the human world but visible in the Shinigami World at night. The life of the Shinigami World, connected with the life of queen Persephone the first, originally Nymda. The key to reaching the queen is to enter from the Shinigami World. Reaching her from Earth is impossible. The castle appeared visible only because those who saw it had seen shinigami before. Any human who had not seen a shinigami, could walk straight across the area and find nothing."

Persy nodded as Watari finished his explanation. "Right, that's pretty much the recap and you think L has that figured out? Well he is a genius so let's hope he does."

That was it! There was a connection between the queen and the tower in the center of the Shinigami Palace, the place where the line of light was coming from reaching for the skies. L said it was the life of that world, it was like Watari said. It was what kept the queen alive; that must be it, she was a human. Persy had said it before, her mother could be olden than a human lifetime, it was the Shinigami World itself that was keeping her alive. Was L planning to enter that tower? One thing was for sure, the king wouldn't like that.

"Traizo, I want to go to the place they're talking about!"

"That's impossible, I can't take you there" It came as a surprise since Traizo always seemed ready to do even what he thought was impossible for you.

"Why is it impossible? I saw the tower, I saw the line of light, it was in the center of the palace and we were there earlier. Let's go, please!"

To say it was hard for Traizo to say 'no' to you would be an understatement. The shinigami nodded. "Alright I'll take you there, but the tower is locked. No shinigami has even been able to open it and those who tried too hard didn't come back. They say that if that towers falls, the Shinigami World will collapse and if it is unlocked, it will fall after a short time." It seemed that this was something Traizo had heard many times, it was probably something they told shinigami ever since they were young.

"I don't think that will happen. You trust me right?" You asked.

"Of course! I trust you with everything, with my very life and heart and soul if shinigami even have one. I trust you more than Nu!"

You wondered what 'Nu' was, but that might take some time to explain. Maybe it was something that was part of the shinigami civilization. Just because their world seemed to be falling apart didn't mean they didn't have their own culture, their own history and their own stories to tell. "Fly me there?"

Without a second to waste, Traizo picked you up and flew back to the palace. He spent the entire night searching for interesting places in the Shinigami World, but it's not like he found many, so it was good that you came up with ideas of where you wanted to go. Although he didn't like that this seemed to be turning into a mission rather than a date, as long as L wasn't involved, Traizo was happy.

xoxox xox xoxox

After landing in the palace and entering the old building, as Traizo led the way, your curiosity finally became too much. Besides it would be nice to have something to talk about on the way. You knew the palace's structure didn't exactly follow the laws of physics, so the way to the tower might be a little different and longer than it looked. "Traizo, what's Nu?"

"Everything begins with Nu and ends with Nu!" Traizo explained as if it was the most obvious thing.

You nodded and left it at that, somehow sure that even if he elaborated you wouldn't get it.

The statue in front of Traizo didn't appear to be different from the others in that room. It looked like a cross between an angel and a vampire, unnatural yet handsome looking eyes, fangs, long messy hair, majestic feathery wings, bits and pieces missing just like the other statues. The same as the other, this one extended its hand as if waiting to shake, Traizo did just that. After the hand shake, a noise was heard but nothing happened. "It's kind of inconvenient that the lock is at the opposite side as the door."

"Then the real door is in the other side of the palace?"

Traizo confirmed your guess. "That's right."

You thought about the shinigami world, about their lives and their history as you walked. "Traizo, do you know who built this palace?"

"I don't know. It's been here for a long time, since before I existed," Traizo replied. "Sorry I'm not a better tour guide."

"It's okay; I'm guessing writing down historical events for future generations to learn about isn't something that they do here." At least the young shinigami wouldn't have to memorize a bunch of names and dates. Then again it didn't look like they had schools, and children were not abundant either, you were yet to see one, but guessed that even shinigami were children at some point.

"Not really. It's all about what is happening and what will happen. Shinigami don't worry about the past because it doesn't really affect us as much as humans. I've been watching the humans, to survive they need to improve and the past information helps them avoid mistakes; that's what I've seen. They look to the future a lot too; I don't understand that they pay little attention to the present though. Getting information from the past is understandable and looking to the future could be serve to make it better, but why not live the present? They should, especially with their... life span... Humans are confusing." It was clear the part about life spans made Traizo feel uncomfortable, because deep down he knew that one day you would die like any other human and he would still be alive. Unless he saved your life before then and therefore gave his own; but that aside, he had already written enough in his Death Note to live well beyond a human lifetime.

"I guess humans can be a little confusing sometimes, even for other humans. We do enjoy the present a little; less than we should, but I guess we're always looking forward to that 'something' better that is to come. Shinigami don't really worry about the future, right? I guess it's because they have such a long time to do things," you reasoned.

"Even if there's not much to do here..." Traizo added.

Sure the Shinigami World was falling apart now but you wondered if it was always like that or if that palace was once majestic and new instead of in ruins.

"Here we are," Traizo announced.

You had gone through countless passages, up and down stairs, to the point where you had no idea where you were anymore, but even if you did, it probably wouldn't be right since the palace's dimensions were not fitting of what it looked like. Such a structure could only exist in another world different from Earth and it's laws of logical size, shape and physics.

The room the two of you had entered looked like an indoor yard. The grass was a coppery brown color as if it had dried up long ago. Dry trees of rotten wood and somehow partially made of stone, circled the dry well in the middle, made of pale gray stones. Traizo approached the well. "This is the entrance, the door is through here, the well is opened by the statue and closed the same way, but we don't have the key to the lock. Are you sure you want to go on?"

"Yes I want to take a look at it. If many have tried and they haven't been able to open the door, then I don't think we'll be able to do it without the key, but I want to take a look. Is it far?" You asked.

"Not really; but only if you know the way. I used to spend a lot of time playing here. I got lost a lot, but then I figured it out. The way is two left turns, then straight ahead past the fork and a turn to the right on the next fork." If Traizo played there, then the king must have been confident on the tower's lock if he didn't bother keeping other shinigami out.

"Left, left, straight, right, got it." You memorized the directions and allowed Traizo to carry you deep into the dark well. "I can't see a thing."

"I'll show you the way. There will be light when we get to the last door," Traizo explained.

Page 27: Together We'll Stay

After walking around in the dark, you arrived at the door. To your surprise it was made of glass, it looked fragile but you knew it was strong. A large silver lock hung from the glass double doors, the lock no one had been able to open. They were rather plain, but the lack of design made it easier to see what was behind them. It was like a box in the middle of the room and in that glass box was another well. The well seemed to emit a strange aura and a line of light was visible in the room's darkness. That was the light Traizo mentioned. The lights were even more beautiful up close than in the sky and surprisingly gentle, but that wasn't all there was in the room. Resting against the glass doors, there was a very small shinigami, a shinigami child you assumed. "Do you know him?"

"I've never seen him before," Traizo replied.

You wondered what a child would be doing there, maybe he went there to play like Traizo had in the past, the light were pretty to look at. The boy had three knife-like claws where toes would be. The rest of him was hard to see hidden under a ragged gray blanket. "Hey kid!" Curiosity killed the cat. "Wake up!" But you weren't a cat.

The little boy woke up and looked at you and Traizo curiously. "People!" He said pointing with his tiny paw-like hands. The top half of his body was white, gray in the middle and black on the legs. The fur faded smoothly from white, to gray, to black. His eyes were the purest blue where a human's eyes would be white and the pupils were silver.

His left ear was cat like and his right ear was more like a rabbit's ear. His face looked like a combination of a bunny and kitten, his triangular nose was silver and appeared metallic. He had a metallic silver wire spiraling through his right rabbit ear for a total of seven piercings on that ear.

On his left cat-like ear, he had a silver earring with a shiny blue orb hanging at the end of a short silver chain. His tail started as a gray cat like tail, the fur faded into metal and it ended as a chain that he could move just as easily as a feline moved its tail. It had a blue sphere at the end as well, larger than the one on the earring.

The tiny claws in his little hands were quite different from the ones on his feet; they seemed to be rounded instead of sharp. His knuckles were slightly big and also silver. The kid could probably deliver a killer hook and deadly kicks, though that was not easy to imagine, since he was so small and cute.

"Hello, what's your name? What are you doing here all alone?" You couldn't help it but to take an instant liking to the mysterious child.

"I don't have a name and I live here in this world." The little boy replied. "Mama and papa used to talk to me a lot, they say the world was boring so they forgot how to write but they didn't explain what 'write' is. I know what drawing means. The world is big but it's all the same except this part, it's pretty. You're pretty too, shinigami lady. Do you have a name?"

Shinigami lady? That was the first time anyone had cofused you for one, which hinted at how little the boy knew about Shinigami. "I'm not a shinigami, I'm a human and I'm called (Name)."

The little boy looked puzzled. "What's a human?" How did he know what humans were? Didn't shinigami need to know that to survive?

"This kid's like me," Traizo observed.

"Who are you, are you a human too?" The little boy asked. He was so adorable!

"No, I'm a shinigami like you. I was born here too," Traizo explained.

"Born here?" Well of course, he was a shinigami so he had to be born in the Shinigami World but 'here' must refer to some place more specific than that. "Here as in the palace? In this section of the palace?"

"Yes, that's right..." Traizo confirmed. "Listen kid, this place isn't the world; it's just a small part of it. The world is a lot bigger than this, it's not just a bunch of rooms that are the same and one is different. It's a lot more than that. Oh yeah and my name is Traizo."

It was clear that the nameless boy was eager to hear more and so were you. You sat down beside the child to listen. "Will you tell us your story?"

"You want to hear about me? Yes, yes! I'll tell you!" Traizo was quite happy that you had taken so much interest in what he had to say and began to tell the story of his past. You already knew the story of his bother, but this was the story of his childhood. "I was born in this area of the palace, the labyrinth or maze as some call it. The way in and the way out are different that's why people get confused, but I've made it out many times so I know. In the past, my brother and I used to think that this was the world. A bunch of dark rooms that looked the same and one that looked different and had light. There was no light in the rest of the 'world' so we liked this room the best. Our parents got lost here; they haven't written a single name in a long time. A lot of shinigami are like that. They get so bored of their world that they lose the will to live and sometimes even forget how to write. It seems the same thing must have happened to your parents. Instead of writing names my parents drew on their Death Notes for entertainment until their time came. The Death Notes were full by then and unusable. My bother and I were still small at the time. We didn't know how to read or write, just doodle. We got rid of those pages later when we became real shinigami; shinigami that could read and write. Not all shinigami can do this; some just copy the symbols they see floating above a person's head, even if they can't read those letters. That's enough as long as their face in is their minds. Anyway, my brother and I wondered out of here one day while exploring the 'world' and realized that the world was more than this. An older shinigami taught us how to use our Death Notes. You have one too. right?"

"Yes!" The boy retrieved his Death note which he had left in a corner of the room. "Look!" It was full of drawings of the well, the door, two shinigami, apparently his parents, drawings of him, by the look of it based of the light reflections on the glass, since he didn't have a mirror. It was full, completely full without a single name written on it.

"You're very talented," you smiled.

"Thanku!" You guessed the boy meant 'thank you'.

"You're welcome," you smiled at the boy then asked Traizo, "what happens in these cases?"

"Normally, we can ask the king for a second Death Note when the first is full and hand in that first Death Note as proof. We can only have one at a time, but shinigami have been lazy lately, so the king stopped making them. Now days, shinigami don't even fill up the Death Note they're born with," Traizo explained.

It all translated to the boy being in trouble, but at least he wouldn't go around killing people. "How long will he live and shinigami are born with a Death Note?"

"About the same as a human and yes, we are born with Death Notes in the eggs," Traizo explained. Eggs, huh? So they came from eggs. Unusual eggs you were sure, nothing like any other egg from Earth. As if anticipating your question Traizo continued. "The eggs can be different and not all of them hatch. Some are soft, others are hard. Metal eggs are the worse. There's little chance for them to be broken. Most of the time the shinigami just stays in there until its lifespan runs out. I guess they sleep all the time or something, but to them that's the entire world so they don't know what they're missing."

You shivered as a cold chill went down your spine from the mere thought of it. It felt so cruel. It was true that shinigami took human lives to add to their own lifespan, but when seen in a certain way, they were just trying to survive, yet it was so sad that many didn't seem to have a reason to live. There was just no way to win. Still you couldn't leave that child there. "Come with us chibi, we'll show you the way out, so you can see the rest of the Shinigami World."

"Chibi? Is that my name?" The adorable shinigami boy asked.

"Chibi means small in Japanese," you explained.

"I'm small... or you're big... Anyway, I like it. Can I have a name? I always wanted one, but there was no one to give me one because mama and papa didn't." The little shinigami was barely two feet tall; he had big eyes and was super cute so the name fit.

"Okay, then I'll call you Chibi. Let's go out and see the world. Traizo lead the way." Chibi took your hand and you took Traizo's.

"Right but it'll be a little longer this time." To say it was a little longer was definitely an understatement. The way in and the way out were different, which was illogical but true. You could tell it wasn't only an excuse to hold your hand for a longer time. After walking for twenty minutes and being reassured several times by Traizo that he knew where he was going, the three f you finally made it back up the dry well that marked the exit.

"This is different, Chibi observed. It was also the first time he saw dry grass. "What is it?" On the floor?" He pointed.

"That's grass but it's dry," you explained.

"What's that?"

"A tree," you replied.

"And that?"

"A rock."

"You're smart!" Chibi was adorable and very curious.

As the three of you walked around the palace, you heard a familiar voice. "That's why I need to stop Light. Why continue with a plan that didn't work? It would be uselessly throwing away human lives!" That was L. Hades was walking down the halls looking annoyed, with L following him and complaining in defense of the human race.

"Just shut up!" Hades yelled.

"More people!" Chibi pointed at them. Mello and Near were also following, Near lagging a little behind and using the wall for support. He had not walked that much in a long time and he wasn't sure his legs would last much longer before he collapsed to his knees and was unable to get up, yet he pretended it wasn't happening.

Page 28: As the Hourglass Runs Out of Sand

"Go out and play child, don't get in the way." Hades continued walking with L following after him.

"You know it's the right thing to do, it's what Nymda would have done. Take Light's powers away and free her." L insisted, clearly taking the case directly to the point. It's like he was no longer fearing for his life, because he knew how far Persy could go for revenge if need be.

"Leave me be humans, or I will kill you regardless of what my daughter may do afterwards." Hades slammed the doors to his throne room shut and ended the argument.

"Was that wise?" Mello asked.

"It's alright; he knows Persy would go as far as suicide when she realizes that her orders were not followed. She can be rash and act in the heat of the moment without thinking, but we'll make sure she doesn't need to go that far." L explained surprisingly calm.

"Sounds like someone I know," Near commented obviously referring to Mello and receiving a glare from the blond.

"A new friend?" L observed the small shinigami.

"Hello, I'm Chibi, what's your name and what's a friend?" Chibi asked.

L smiled, no one could resist that shinigami boy's cuteness. "I'm L." He found it a little odd that the boy didn't know right away what his name was by reading it, but then he realized the child must not know how to read. "A friend is, someone pleasant to be around, there's trust and loyalty, mutual help when needed, friends are... something I didn't have until recently, though I've had two brothers for a long time... Where are your parents?"

"They melted into sand and never came back." Chibi spoke with sadness but also as he had accepted it. In his simple life and innocence, he only knew how to accept things.

"I'm an orphan too..." L patted the boy's head and gave you a quick glance that seemed to say 'I need to talk to you later'. It seemed that Traizo didn't catch it and he was quite pleased that L was finally following the rules and not even talking you to. You caught the look and immediately started to think of a way to go to L by yourself, so Traizo wouldn't be upset and possibly affect L's plan.

Chibi watched L walk away while Mello and Near stayed, they knew of L's plan. With the most innocent and cute look he asked. "What's an orphan?"

Mello and Near couldn't resist his cuteness either. "Someone whose parents are not around anymore. But you have us." Mello extended his arms and Chibi got the message happily accepting the hug.

"Aw, Mello you're such a softie," Near teased.

"Shut up!" Mello growled in annoyance, though Near only smiled.

"I think he's cute too, my turn," Near joined and the next few minutes passed as everyone petted, hugged and cuddled Chibi.

xoxox xox xoxox

After a while, you were able to get everyone to play with Chibi and with a little help from Mello and Near, Traizo got distracted. The little shinigami's timing was really lucky for this. 'Sorry Traizo but I really need to help L with his plan, I'll see you later' you thought as you sneaked away to meet L. You weren't sure where you had to meet him, but your guess would be the room with the dry well.

You were right. There was L sitting on the dry grass in his peculiar way, waiting for you, certain that you would come. "You knew where to find me." He had instructed Mello and Near not to tell you, but rather let you figure it out. If his theory was correct, then you must have already been to the source of the light in the sky.

L meant to ask you to request from Traizo to tell you about that tower, since he wouldn't tell L even if he asked. Even so he had a feeling that you would somehow figure out what was going on and obtain the needed information. Though you might not have known from the beginning, now you were now pretty sure about what L needed to know, how to get to the well were the light originated.

"I thought you would be here and you want to know how to get to the source of the light?" You asked.

"Yes, I trust you have this information?" L was smiling, as if his plan was going how he wanted.

"Of course," you smiled back. "And there's more, when Traizo was showing me around, I saw the device shinigami use to watch the human world from this world. I saw Watari and Persy was with him. They have it all figured out. Watari explained his theory almost as if he knew I was watching."

"His sixth sense has always been good. It's about the line of light right? Reaching the queen is only possible from here." L explained.

"Right, but maybe the king feared we would find another way and kept us away from the castle in the human world," you shared a theory.

L agreed. "He probably was concerned about that, but he is very confident in the methods he used here in the Shinigami World and he believes there is no way to open a certain lock. Have you seen anything like that?"

"Yes, there's a lock on the doors of a glass box. Inside there is a well and that's where the light is coming from," you explained. "How do you know all of this? Traizo showed me the way, but how did you figure it out?"

"This room is different from the others; it has grass so it must be the entrance. Some of the life of this world filters out through here and causes grass to grow. It doesn't reach other parts of the palace so there is no grass there, even if the floor tiles are missing. That light is life, the life of the world itself being infused with the queen's human body to extend her life but she, if my theory is correct, must remain asleep. She must wish for rest even in her subconscious slumber. Even if it was arranged so that she has pleasant dreams, her human soul must be exhausted after so many years. She longs to be mortal, opposite of that which she wanted before, to be young and beautiful forever, never fearing death." L explained.

"Is that why she married death? To avoid dying? The life of this world... is that why it's in such bad conditions?" You asked.

"Yes and no, this world never had a lot of life to begin with. It will always be a little barren and desert, but it has deteriorated far beyond what it used to be like. For the good of this world, for the peace of the queen and to restore natural order, Persephone the first, also know in the past as Nymda, must be freed. If Persy and Watari are already aware of this, they will be waiting. When the seal is broken from this world, the castle will finally become accessible from Earth and they can join us there." L gave you the details.

You took a deep breath and tried to let it all sink it. It was all amazing and L was amazing. "How did you know about the lock?"

"Because I have the key and I knew this key had an important purpose. I'm 99.9% sure, that the first Death Note a shinigami uses is one that they are born with. Persy was born with a golden Death Note, one that hides a secret in its hard cover." L took a golden key out of his pocket. "I believe not even the king nor the princess herself knew about this. Nymda's later wish was to be granted and her daughter was born with the key."

When you saw the golden key you knew right away it could open that silver lock. You weren't sure how, but you knew. Maybe you were finally developing a detective's instinct. "I know how to get in but the way out is complicated, that's no problem right? Because we'll end up on Earth."

"Right," L replied.

"What about everyone else?" you asked.

"When we open the way, everyone will know. Mello and Near will follow us. Remember when Traizo carried Near to make you happy? His real problem seems to be with me. I'm confident they can get Traizo to help; then they'll meet up with us, Persy and Watari in the castle on Earth, after the seal is broken. Persy will finally meet her mother," L was confident in his theory.

It was happening, it was truly happening, you would finally find the queen. "Let's go." The well was still unlocked, since no one went back to shake hands with that same statue and L was prepared with a flashlight.

"It's a good thing Higure and Hakumei didn't ask any questions and just brought the supplies." L was rather amused seeing the shinigami twins faces when he told them that he needed a flashlight and a rope and hook to take care of some 'natural human needs', they looked as if they had no idea what he was talking about and no intentions to find out. L wasn't sure if he wanted to know what was going on in their imaginations, what ever it was, it had to be strange. He placed the metal hook on the edge of the well and tested the rope going down while you held the flashlight. "Toss me the flashlight." You did and he caught it then he waited.

It was so much easier to go in with someone to carry you, but L couldn't fly. He set the flashlight on the ground, pointing up, lighting up the way, and extended his arms as if to reassure you that he would catch you if you fell. Luckily you managed to get down without falling.

L handed you the flashlight. "Lead the way."

"Right, this place doesn't really follow normal logic, so we can get lost." It was an excellent excuse to take his hand, so you wouldn't be accidentally separated and you didn't waste that chance.

Even if it sounded like a contradiction, the well seemed creepier in the light than in the darkness. You didn't see all those statues before or the ghostly mist that filled each room. It was all darkness the first time you came and somehow you found out that there were creepier things than pure darkness.

Page 29: We're Back Home in a Blink

"First it's left," you recalled, there were three passages. One of them was straight ahead, one on the left and one on the right. While the first passage was narrow, the room after that first turn was big. At the end, it had five tunnels, the one from which you came, one on the right wall, two on the opposite wall and there had to be another on the left wall which was were you were going, but the left side of the room seemed to extend endlessly as the light grew dim. The two of you made your way to the far left wall. The flashlight still had some light left in, it but it was very dim all of a sudden. "Another left, then straight ahead, and finally, we'll go right," you recited.

"The batteries were supposed to be new." L had one hand in yours and the other with his thumb in his mouth. "Try pointing it that way." He stopped chewing his thumb and pointed to the right side of the room. Somehow the light could easily reach the right wall, even if it was dim against the left wall, which was now a lot closer.

"I guess this place defies logic in more ways than one..." You concluded.

L nodded. "It seems to have a natural darkness to it, but a little light should be enough to find our way." He gave you a sense of security, the feeling that everything would work out somehow.

"Right, it's not too far, we'll get there," you remained optimistic too. Even if the place looked like it came right out of a horror movie, there was no real danger; unless Hades found out, but he didn't even know about the key. By the time he found out, you would have already found the queen and things would somehow work out on Earth.

As you crossed the next dark room, heading for a door straight ahead, barely visible in the dim light, you remembered that time L tried to run off on his own. "L, about that time you tried to go off on your own and Persy was really upset..."

"I should apologize to her... My plan was to get Hades' attention. He would try to bring me to his side and to the Shinigami World thinking that I would betray Persy to protect people from Light. I actually wanted to do both, protect people and help Persy, but tricking her was the only way. Hades sent spies, if he saw Persy upset, that would motivate him to hastily make a move and we could use that. It seems he caught on a little, but not completely. He must have suspected we were planning something, but didn't know what. He thought that we could get in the way only from Earth, since he didn't know about Persy being born with the key in her Death Note's cover. He was confident in the lock in this world. He couldn't kill us because of Persy's possible revenge, so in the end, Hades thought it was best to keep us in this world, where he thinks we can't do anything." L explained.

You knew he had to have a reason. "But if that worked, you have ended up coming here alone."

"I didn't want to put you in danger, but I've realized that you're not one to give up." L admitted.

"Right, I would eventually figure it out and find a way to follow you. We're in this together."

"I wasn't used to working with someone like this. I work with Watari all the time and I've worked with Mello and Near before, but that was different," L admitted.

"Do you think I have what it takes to be a detective?" The last room was very dark but you knew you only needed to turn right. It was odd that the well room had so much light, yet somehow it didn't leave that room.

"I think you've been doing a great job," L was truthful.

The two of you arrived at the well room where the light came from. L had the key and the lock was right in front of him. He placed the small golden key into the relatively large silver lock. It opened effortlessly as if by magic when it came into contact with the key. Both the key and the lock dissolved into metallic sand and on Earth, Persy felt something, she didn't know what, but she felt something.

For a moment everything was calm and peaceful. Light and warmth eradiated from the well and you could feel the energy now that the glass doors were open. "This tunnel of light is the way to Earth. It is made of life, so we will not be endangered by it. Do you want me to go first or would you prefer to go first?"

"Can't we go at the same time?" It seemed better if you both went together; it was safer, wasn't it?

"It's possible but," before L could explain, there was an earthquake and the tower began to crumble. "Go in name, hurry! This will take you back to Earth!"

"I'm not leaving you behind, we'll both go together." L could see that you had decided and would not change your mind. You held your hand for him to take and firmly stood your ground. You saw no reason why the two of you couldn't jump into the well of light together, it was certainly big enough.

L bit his lip and shook his head, but you didn't move. He had learned to read you fairly well and knew you wouldn't leave. There was no time for this, he took your hand and the two of you jumped into the light together.

At first you fell, but then you floated higher and higher as if you were completely weightless, made of pure energy. The light surrounded your body and you flew towards the Shinigami World skies. You saw the tower falling apart, but between the rubble and the clouds of dust, the light was still there, the way back to Earth was still open for Mello, Near and Traizo to follow you and L into the queen's castle.

Thoughts and feelings could be felt more intensely than ever, but it was confusing. Theories and information that you were certain you didn't know before, rushed into your mind. That feeling, you liked someone but didn't want to. You blocked it all out, all attachments; save for a few whom you treasured. You didn't want to add another to that list because it might not end well. You had to be there for everyone, no distractions.

What? Those weren't your thoughts. You weren't going to deny yourself liking someone out of fear of not having it work out. Leaving? This person was leaving? Who was it? "L, I..."

"Don't think right now..." He almost begged.

"L..."

"You'll be back to normal soon, just don't think right now, please."

You didn't understand at first, but soon the answer came to you. L's thoughts were flowing into your head. That's why two people shouldn't travel this way at once. Maybe he didn't know for sure, but he had a theory and it was correct. He was really good at figuring out what could happen and his detective instinct was amazing. Yet those feelings; did that mean he was starting to like you but stopping himself?

Did L think you would leave as soon as this was over and never even bother talking to him again? Was it best that way? Safer? No, no, no, that's not right. You had to tell him, but then you wondered if your thoughts were flowing into his mind as well. If that was the case, then he already knew. Then maybe he would change his mind when he was ready.

xoxox xox xoxox

"I'm going to kill Lawliet, I'm tired of waiting!" You heard a voice, it sounded like Traizo.

"Wait just a little longer, we both see her lifespan. (Name) isn't dead, she's just sleeping." The next voice sounded like Persy.

"Unconscious is more like it, in a coma." That was Mello's voice. You could hear them all around you but you were too tired to open your eyes.

"Coma? Her position is not curved like a coma." Good old Traizo taking things literally. At least there were no beans involved this time.

"That's not what a coma is!" Mello tried to explain.

Traizo didn't believe him. "I know how to write, I know what a coma is!"

"I think we should leave it as is it, Mello." Near was there too. Mello probably didn't realize that if he explained what kind of coma he was talking about, he would be giving Traizo another reason to kill L. The shinigami was already very angry that the two of you were found unconscious in Queen Persephone's castle hand in hand.

For two people to travel into the castle at the same time was possible, but you and L were both thinking too much, the pressure and emotion eventually knocked out both out. You weren't really in a coma as Mello said, you were just tired.

"Why?" Was that L's voice just now?

"She will be fine, her vital signs are normal and she's not injured." Watari? They were all there, everyone together.

"Then why?" L sounded frustrated, but it was only a small hint that you could detect in his choice of words, rather than his tone of voice. You imagined what his expression would look like, probably calm or unreadable.

"Because not everyone sleeps as little as you do." L didn't insist on his question anymore after that, so it seemed that Watari's answer was accepted.

L only asked 'why' when directing the question at the only person who could possibly answer it and even then he had a theory before hearing the answer. To ask Watari like that, seeking reassurance instead of a logical answer, he had to be worried. But L was L and he would go back to his normal calm self in no time. You surprised yourself thinking that way. It seemed you had become pretty good at understanding him. L was more than a little unusual, but now you couldn't think of ever saying goodbye.

You slowly opened your eyes, you were still tired but, this was no time to sleep. Everyone was there; they all looked at you relived as you sat up. It was then you noticed you had been moved into a soft bed, in an elegant room. The walls were covered with jewels, bases with rare flowers decorated the room, sending a soft sweet aroma to the atmosphere and the furniture looked shiny, soft and new even, though you knew it was ancient. Everyone was there, L, Mello, Near, Watari, Persy, Traizo, Hades... "Hades?!"

Page 30: With a Challenge to Slay

Traizo looked shocked. He must have seen Hades standing there before, but he still looked surprised. "Why did she say the king's name first?" It seemed that Watari had the answers so Traizo asked him.

"Because she's surprised," Watari tried to explain.

Though Traizo didn't say it loud enough for the king to hear, he muttered something about Hades ruining the moment because he wanted you to wake up and recognize him first, or at least before L. Yet it seemed that your attention was with the king and princess.

"Now that you're all here and conscious, I will be waiting with my queen. If you make it to where she is, you may wake her up and she will decide what will be done," Hades spoke bitterly. He appeared to have given up after Persy made it as far as inside the real castle of her mother.

"What's going on?" You asked.

"Daddy is still being stubborn, but he knows I'm right. I had a long talk with him and made him realize he shouldn't be so selfish. Days ago I felt something and I had the need to find my Death Note but I waited. Later when I went to take a look at it, I realized why I thought I should look at it, someone messed up the cover. I went to ask Watari about it and it all fell into place. Since it was for mother I'll forgive Lawliet," Persy explained.

"No, don't forgive him! I'll write his name in my Death Note since you didn't reclaim yours!" Traizo complained. "He messed up your Death Note and worse, he won't stay away from (Name) so he deserves it."

Persy shook her head. "No, if L didn't have this plan from the beginning, then he wouldn't have taken the key. If I knew I might have accidentally blown his cover but..." Persy quietly paused, her skull side remained expressionless and her human-looking side changed from angelic to angry. "I'm still mad at L for tricking me! Lawliet if you want my forgiveness, you must make a promise!" There was a dramatic silence as Persy froze in her pose. "Just a moment..." She searched for something in her robe and found a little book. "Promise... promise..." She turned the pages until she found what she was looking for. "That even if it's just by one day... no wait..." She turned the pages again and looked over the quote before stating her request. "Promise that you will never make (Name) cry!"

Everyone stared at Persy as she hid the little book in her black robe again. "Why? When did he?" Traizo lifted L and shook him harshly. "When did you make (Name) cry?"

"I didn't," L replied and still remained calm. He was getting used to Traizo's constant threats by now, but he would never actually provoke him on purpose.

"Well if you didn't, then keep up the good work." Persy nodded and gave two thumbs up.

"Have you been reading cheesy romance novels this entire time?" You asked Persy.

"Cheesy? There was no cheese involved, only romance, and reading is not all that I've been doing. I've been helping Watari with the investigation and watching soup operas on TV!" Persy proudly revealed.

"Soap operas?" You corrected while trying to get Traizo to put L down.

"Yeah that, and I'm in a good mood because I'll finally get to see mom! Nothing can go wrong! All you have to do is find her. I made a deal with daddy. When L finds mom, she will be woken up. As part of the deal, us shinigami can't help. This is your quest L, but I know you won't mess up!" Persy certainly had a lot of confidence. She had no idea what she had gotten L into. "You may only choose one human helper in this quest but don't worry about it because I chose for you. (Name) will be your helper!"

"No!" L and Traizo spoke at the same time, though at different tones far more calm for L.

"I don't want do endanger (Name)" L explained.

"It's not dangerous, you'll be with her and nothing can beat true love!" It seemed that the happiness of finally meeting her mother, combined with the many romance stories she was exposed to, made Persy a little too optimistic.

"But they're not in love!" Traizo half whined and half ordered. L, or any other man, was not allowed to have such thoughts and feelings about you, as far as Traizo was concerned.

"Sure they are! Just like you and me, you just haven't realized it yet" Persy had studied shoujo manga and she now had a long list of plans to try out to win Traizo's heart and help L win yours. With her new tactics and the elimination of competition by pairing you up with L, Persy could win Traizo over for sure; at least that was her plan.

So it was decided, you and L would venture further into the unknown castle to find the queen. This was definitely a trap, no doubt Hades would have everything set up to make you and L fail. You wondered what dangers lay ahead and how you would face them, but after coming so far, you weren't about to give up and neither was L.

xoxox xox xoxox

You were given a day to recover and the next day the new adventure began. It all started after breakfast, with a door leading to a slightly dark corridor. L of course had cheese cake for breakfast that morning.

"I don't want (Name) to go!" Traizo was still against it.

"It can't be helped," Near acknowledged.

"It's okay Traizo, I'll be fine. I'll return soon," you assured him. He didn't look happy with the situation, he was quite upset but he had no choice if you were willing to go.

Mello was quietly talking to L and judging by the dark haired detective's expression, he was probably giving him couple advice. You were surprised you could read L's expression at all, as it didn't truly change beyond a few barely noticeable details. It seemed you had learned to catch even the smallest details in him.

Soon, you and L were on your way and the door was closed behind the two of you, leaving you in a dimly lit long hall that extended beyond what the eye could see in the darkness. You sighed. Why was it that you always ended up walking in creepy places with L? It would be so much more enjoyable if it was a nice place.

"(Name)" L woke you up from your daydream.

You smiled as sincerely as you could. "I guess we should get going."

L nodded. "We'll get through this." He was, as always, confident, but you know he was worried about you.

"We definitely will," you reassured him and yourself.

After walking for a few minutes you came to a door. Though the hallway was dark, judging by the light that could be seen under the door, the next room was quite bright. For once it made logical sense as you and L entered. The room was very large, the floor was made of glass and there was a big pool under it creating the illusion that you were walking on water. Indoor waterfalls adorned the walls, it was truly amazing. Maybe your walk with L would turn out to be nice after all. At least that's what you thought until a door at the opposite end of the room opened and a shinigami stepped forward.

The shinigami was a female, a bit short but imposing. She had long golden hair in pigtails and her red eyes shone brightly. Her skin was ghostly pale and her ragged dark red outfit was rather revealing. She had long sharp fingernails and toenails in a glossy black color to match her eye shadow and lipstick. She wore long earrings with black jewels hanging from golden chains that went to her shoulders. She wore similar decorations in bracelets, anklets, a choker and belt. She also had a longer chain wrapped around her entire body. "Don't worry, I'm only here to watch."

"Who are you?" You asked. L appeared to be in deep thought, it was almost as if he recognized her but couldn't quite figure it out. She looked familiar, but who was she?

"A messenger; that is all you need to know." She was rather cheerful and appeared carefree with a hint of childishness.

"You won't interfere?" L knew, you could tell by the look in his eyes that he had already figured out who this shinigami was. He had that certain special look he got when he figured out a mystery, when all the pieces to the puzzle fell into place.

"I promise; I'm only here to watch, just as he asked me to follow what the king said. I won't get in the way but I won't help you," the shinigami girl replied.

"Very well," L agreed. "We should continue."

You followed L out of the room. The shinigami girl followed too, but made sure to stay several feet behind. As you walked, the scenery began to change with each room. The windowless tunnel like passages connecting each room, were dark but elegant with many jewels decorating the walls, large bases with unknown flowers and a sweet scent in the air.

The red plush carpets were soft and easy to walk on, and a gentle melody was heard in the distance. Each large room was different. There was a very large room which held a river with a glass bridge that simulated ice, the river magically flowing from wall to distant wall. Another had a forest with trees that were so perfectly alike it was hard to believe they were real. Such an amazing architecture was beyond what a normal human could construct.

Another room held a tower of gold. High above you saw a bridge connecting to the top of the wall. The golden tower was filled with only spiral steps of pure gold. At the top you could see the blue skies beyond the room's glass ceiling. After crossing the bridge you would reach the next door. The shinigami girl was still on the lower floor; apparently she was going to fly instead of taking the stairs. "Who is she?" You took the opportunity to ask L.

"She could be a problem, but she isn't the real enemy, it's the one who sent her." L replied as ambiguous as he could possibly be. You blinked in confusion and he smiled. "Justice will prevail."

You nodded. So that's what he was playing at. If it became vital that you knew he would tell you, but for now he would give you the opportunity to figure it out on your own. You would, you were determined to do it.

End of Note VI

Disclaimer, I don't own Death Note. Using a well to travel between worlds is from Inuyasha. Page 26 has references to Chrono Trigger (about the Nu at Zeal) and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (the directions to get to the Forest Maze treasures). Chibi is an OC.
Sign up to rate and review this story