Categories > Original > Fantasy

Last of the 'Travelers'

by fishey 0 reviews

Then I spotted them. Standing in front of the burning wreck that used to be my home, were three men dressed from head to toe in black. Upon there faces there were masks with what looked like feathe...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2010-03-06 - Updated: 2010-03-07 - 822 words

0Unrated
I stood motionless on the edge of a field of wheat blazing under the scorching mid-summer sun. Flames danced around village on the other side leaping in the air. I started to run toward the village...My village. I had heard stories about the raiders and thieves that pillaged the land, but I had never thought that those threats would come here. We were so far away from the capital where all the wars were; then I spotted them. Standing in front of the burning wreck that used to be my home, were three men dressed from head to toe in black. Upon there faces there were masks with what looked like feathers protruding from every angle and these men were staring straight at me, chills ran down my spine, I felt an emotion that I had not felt in a long time, fear. I turned and ran toward the forest somehow knowing they were here for me, I could hear the men catching up to me as I ran through the wheat. The flames from my village had descended upon the field, the fire was scorching the land and devouring every thing it came in contact to. Giant flames leaped up in front of me. I could not run forward anymore, quickly I spun around and saw that there were only two masked men perusing me. I turned and saw the third coming from above, as though he had jumped over the flames. It looked as though these men possessed wings, but I couldn't see clearly from all the smoke, I could barely see my hand in front of my face. Now pushing me toward the fire, the men came closer and closer and in doing so they reveled what they truly were they were not wearing masks but had terrible bird like faces with feathers coming from everywhere, sharp beaks that could break an arm in to pieces if it got the chance. The bird men were now less than five feet from me, the tallest one reached out his hand...no his claw to grab me but I dogged it quickly and jumped to the side. I started to run again toward the forest. I could hear the bird men shrieking in defiance there wail piercing the air. I was close to the forest; there I might have a chance of escape. As I ran my foot caught a root and I fell forward landing on the ground cutting my palms open upon the rocks. I got up as quickly and I could and immediately felt a searing pain shoot through my shoulder. I fell back on to my knees the pain was excruciating. I reached up and laid my hand upon my right shoulder. Blood trickled down my arm. There were three deep claw marks gouging my shoulder where the birds had caught me...wait why weren't they tearing me apart? I then noticed my surroundings I was in the forest but not just in the outer edge, deep in the forest, but the trees here were taller than any I had ever seen, much taller than the ones inhabiting the forest on the outskirts of my village. They were also dripping in moss that hung over every inch. Mist filled the air, just like after the rain. It took me a moment to get over the shock. How did I get here? I was in the field just a moment ago. Shocked and confused, I slowly climbed to my feet, dizzy from the loss of blood. I noticed that the sun was setting and I quickly remembered my priorities, I needed to find somewhere to hide in case those bird men came and found me. I turned to leave when I saw one of the bird men was standing at the edge of the small clearing I was in. terror washed over me, I waited for him to pounce. But instead of killing me, a weak and injured girl, he stood there, he looked confused like he didn't know how he got here. The look vanished as soon as he saw me. I also noticed that his claws were dripping with my blood and glowing dark red” I am not going to die here," I said to myself quietly. Not without trying. I turned and ran into the trees. I knew I didn't have a chance. It was hard to run every step sent waves of pain into my shoulder. But I had to keep going, I wasn't going to give up that easily. If only there was someone who could help me. I broke through the dense trees to find a gigantic wall with a massive gate at the entrance. I ran towards the doors, "Please let me in!" I cried. No one answered. “Please! I'll be killed!" still no one answered. I couldn't wait much longer so I wrenched open the doors and slipped inside.
Sign up to rate and review this story