Categories > Original > Humor > So the Story Goes

All's Fair

by legacyforgotten 0 reviews

Lana volunteers at a booth at the Renaissance Fair. Kanan comes to visit her. (Challenge. Needed to include Renaissance Fair, game of Monopoly, a spoon, and a live chicken.)

Category: Humor - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Published: 2010-04-01 - Updated: 2010-04-02 - 607 words - Complete

0Unrated
"You're doing it wrong! Here! Let me," Vanessa, Lana's best friend nagged as she proceeded to help the blond-haired teenager into her corset. She laced the dress so quickly, Lana felt the breath whoosh out of her lungs in a rush.

"How did women wear these?" Lana gasped in agony. Thankfully, she'd only be wearing the dress only for about four hours at the Renaissance Fair at Boishington Academy. She patted herself down, feeling the tightness of the corset and dear lord, was she really supposed to wear something so constricting.

Vanessa looked her bff up and down with her usual critical eye to make sure the girl in front of her looked nothing but her best. "With vigor," she responded dryly as she fussed with the ribbon holding the entire garment together. Finally, she spun the other girl toward the mirror. "There. You look fabulous."

Lana smiled at the reflection of her friend. "Thank you," she spoke as she turned around and hugged Vanessa. "I couldn't have looked so great if it weren't for you."

"Damn straight." Vanessa snorted. "Now get going," she demanded. Without further ado she shoved Lana out her dormitory door.

"Thanks again! And remember to come buy some ice cream later!" Lana winked and shuffled out the door and to her volunteer job at the Renaissance Fair sponsored by Boishington Academy.

She arrived just as the other members of her crew were putting up the food booth. "Hey!" She yelled to them.

Several looked over to her as she approached, including a fine young man with thick, curly black hair and striking hazel eyes, who set down his leg of the easy-up and walked to her. The two hugged and a friendly smile was shared between the two of them. "Jean!" Lana exclaimed happily.

"Hey, ready to get to work?" He asked, a smirk playing on his lips.

"Ugh!" Lana groaned, throwing her head back in agitation. "I don't wanna. This dress is so stuffy. Renaissance women sucked!"

Jean laughed airily. "Can't be much worse than this." He motioned to his attire with a wide sweep of his hands. He wore a dark brown suit with pristine cuffs. "And this is the more casual stuff." The pair groaned together. Stupid Renaissance!

The two returned to their posts and soon the booth was up and running. Within the first hour, their booth had already sold out of ice cream. The others were now off to buy more at the local corner store, leaving Lana and another girl alone. Lana was told to organize the change in the cash register, as it had been thrown in haphazardly with the constant business and the struggle to keep up with demands in the hot weather. The other girl had left just after the others, claiming she was going to find something to eat, since she didn't have breakfast that morning.

A while into her work, Lana felt the tell-tale vibration of her phone in her dress corset where she had crammed her cell as a make-shift pocket. The blond girl fumbled with the top of her dress, struggling to remove her electronic desperately. She flipped open her phone to view the screen, which displayed an alert proclaiming, "1 New Message: Muffin." Grinning, Lana hit enter and read over his message.

'I see you.' Lana paused in her distribution of change into the register. She looked up and around the fair, searching the crowd for her boyfriend. Seeing no sign of the teenage boy among the many people milling about through the street, Lana pursed her lips and glared down at her phone.

'You do not! D:
Sign up to rate and review this story