Categories > Movies > High School Musical > Start of Something New

Chapter 3 - A Battle Within

by starlightmint 2 reviews

The continuing adventures of Zanessa.

Category: High School Musical - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-04-21 - Updated: 2006-04-21 - 604 words

1Moving
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the HSM characters or anything. Also, though this story involves the names of real people, it is a complete work of fiction in terms of characterization and plot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 3 - A Battle Within

Swiping his hotel key against the card reader, Zac clicked his hotel door open and went inside. Alone, he suddenly let out a breath and sat down on the bed, putting his head in his hands. The adrenalin seemed to still be racing through his body, a heightened sense of awareness and excitement. I just spent the whole day alone with Vanessa. The most amazing girl he'd ever met.

She was the only girl he had ever known who could match him comeback for comeback. Who had ever sent him rolling on the floor with laughter. She was smart, talented, with that unbelievable singing voice. She could make anything seem like fun-even a dumb burger joint with fluorescent lighting and peeling wallpaper.

And she was gorgeous, of course. You couldn't forget that.

But...

All he could think about was what Ashley had told him, the day after the auditions, the day after fate-or the casting directors-had handed him a day paired up with the most incredible girl in the entire world. He'd told her all about Vanessa, asked if she knew anything about her.

Ashley's expression had turned sour.

"Yeah, we've met." She seemed annoyed. "I don't know. She doesn't seem like much to me. Pretty, though."

"Where did you meet her?" He tried to seem casual.

"You know, auditions. We are in the same age range, we were often up for the same parts." She sighed. "Like I said, I don't really know much. She seemed kind of flighty, a player type. I remember she had a string of boyfriends, a different one at every audition." She smirked. "Guess the pretty part does well for her."

What?

It didn't seem like the Vanessa he'd met. But he and Ashley had been friends for two years already, and she'd always been a friendly face in the Hollywood crowd. He'd been so proud of her when Suite Life panned out. She'd worked hard in so many pilots and picked up so many bit parts in a million different TV shows, but finally she had a steady gig which really showcased her talents. And through it all, she'd always been sweet, funny, sensible Ashley. Possibly the most reliable friend he'd had in the business. No, definitely.

And yet...

In spite of all of this, since they'd started filming, he couldn't get his mind off Vanessa. He couldn't stop finding excuses to be near her during the dance practices. Ways to talk to her, laugh wit
Sign up to rate and review this story