Categories > Games > Final Fantasy 8 > Thy Forsaken Soul: Disturbance it the Peaceful Era

Weakness

by Morbid333 0 reviews

Category: Final Fantasy 8 - Rating: R - Genres:  - Published: 2010-04-17 - Updated: 2010-04-17 - 1590 words

0Unrated
Disturbance in the Peaceful Era:



Disclaimer:

I don't own Final Fantasy VIII. Original characters and names belong to me. All names and characters relating to Final fantasy belong to Square-Enix.

Chapter VI – Weakness

Peaceful Era 16, July 22, 1200

Rinoa awoke alone in the dark. There were no clocks and no light, this place was like a prison in that there was no way to tell how much time had passed, she had no idea what time it was. All that she knew; she was in no way rested. She felt sure her sleep had been long, calm and undisturbed... yet she felt anything but revitalized.

She was tired, restless, hungry yet full. Her throat was hoarse. Her mouth was dry. The headphones she had worn through the night were discarded. Angelo; it seemed, had left her sleeping partner, perhaps in seek of nourishment or some other fulfillment.

Rinoa found it hard to get up. After some time, she approached the table on the other side of the room. In the dim light, her eye was able to spy three small bowls upon the varnished wooden tabletop. In the middle bowl was rice, the other two were empty.

Unsure of her next action, she began to eat the cold white rice. On the opposite end of the table, she saw one more bowl, this one large and filled to the top with various citrus fruits.

She sat down on the floor and was joined by Angelo. The dog lay down on the floor next to her newfound friend. Rinoa began running her hand through Angelo's fur and as she did, thoughts came pouring in through the open window of her mind.

She had so much going through her mind that Angelo's bark startled her. It was enough to make her jump. Angelo stood up and ran towards the door. She let out three more high pitched barks and the door swung open.

The door opened, swinging forward into the room and with it, entered the light, invading the darkness, the dark much darker than the night. In limped a body; a weary frame, overcome with hunger and thirst. Whose was this body, Rinoa couldn't see. The light was intense, it burned her delicate eyes. She couldn't see. "Who is it, what do you want? She was able to say.

"Relax" was the response. "It's me. It's only me, just me. I have the only key." The figure walked forward into the aesthetically darkened room and Rinoa Saw the true identity of the man. She saw he was Kane.

He looked like Kane, but something about his appearance was off. He appeared weak. He was not the man she had met. He limped into the room and slowly hobbled over to the table. He swept his arm over the table, knocking off the three small bowls.

Rinoa approached him, unsure of the situation. "Kane...? What're you... what's wrong? Can I... Can..."

"Shut up!" his gurgled response boomed everywhere, radiating like a bad smell. "Leave me... just back off, Okay!" He hobbled over to the old timber cabinet on the wall beside the table and opened it with so much force that Rinoa thought it might have come off its hinges.

He took out an old liquor bottle with no label, removed the top and drained the remaining contents down his throat, swallowing the whole lot in one gulp. He lowered the bottle down away from his face and lost his grip on it. The bottle fell from his grasp and shards of glass scattered all over the floor, the resulting clash of glass on floor tile created a sound that broke the solemnity of the grave silence that seemed to suffocate the room.

Kane took a few steps toward Rinoa and placed one hand on each of her shoulders. He tried to speak, but the words wouldn't come. He was able to produce a slight grimace before passing out.

His limp body fell forward and Rinoa's body buckled under the weight, she knew she would never be able to support it. She just managed to hold his unconscious body off her own long enough to back away. As soon as she was out of the way, her arms gave way and his body, free from her support, collapsed in an ungraceful heap on the floor.

Rinoa had been to quite a few parties in her few years and knew a little bit about first aid. She didn't know too much on the subject, she did know what to do when a friend passed out.

She knelt down and rolled Kane towards her, over on his side and put him in the recovery position to stop him from choking on his own vomit. After this, there was nothing she could do. Now, she could only wait for him to awake. Only time could help Kane now. She had done all that she could.

Angelo approached her master... no, Kane wasn't Angelo's master. Rinoa told herself this. She knew this; it is what Kane told her when she first met Angelo. Angelo wasn't Kane's pet. She was his partner, his friend. He held no dominion over her and likewise she held none. They were equals. The fact that she was of a different species had no effect, it had no meaning whatsoever to him.

Kane was the kind of person who is good to his friends. As long as you are smart enough to stay on his good side, you will stay safe, you will not get hurt but if you betray him, if you get on his wrong side, if you are that stupid; you don't deserve to live anyway. This is the kind of impression that Kane gave.

This is how Rinoa felt. This is how he appeared before her. As long as she remained pure in his eyes, as long as she continued to be good to him, he would return the favor. He would protect her and help her out of sticky situations.

If she gave off any impure vibes however, she'd be lost in the jungle, she'd have no way out. She'd have to be careful of what she said to him. She'd already had a few close calls with him. Fortunately, Kane had been able to find the will to resist any temptations. If ever there was a situation with the two of them involving heavy drinking; Kane might just loose control of himself, then she'd be...

Not that she could blame him though; of course he'd feel drawn to her as if manipulated by a large magnetic force. She was after all deeply desirable and quite attractive to the opposite sex... quite attractive for the immaturity of her young body. She was only sixteen and looked better than some women look whilst in their prime, except she was not quite so mature.

Rinoa's teenage vanity often got in the way of her judgment. It got her in many situations. Situations that her father would give her trouble about, situations that he considered trouble to begin with. She simply called it living.

Kane once told her that he owned her. In a way, this was the truth. She had no idea where she was, she had no food, no money, no way of transport and no where to go. No one even knew were she was.

Even if Kane was keeping her against her will, she would have to keep him alive. If he were to die, so then would she share his fate. If Kane died right now, what would Rinoa do? There was nothing she could do.

Kane, for now at least; was breathing and it was his breath that revealed his reason, the obsession that had caused him to pass out in the first place. Stale breath was exhaled from between his parted lips and carried with it, the pungent stink of a night's drunkenness.

Angelo stood over Kane, evidently worried about her friend. She looked up at Rinoa with her dark round eyes, staring through her, as if communicating telepathically. Rinoa knew exactly what Angelo wanted and she was right. It was the least she could do.

Kane would be facing one hell of a hangover when he awoke. For the time being, he was resting, he was calm and he was on a cold hard ground. The least she could do was to make him comfortable. His skin was cold to the touch. Angelo whined.

Rinoa knew she could never move him, so she picked up a bundle of old blankets she remembered seeing in the corner and made up a make-shift bed for him right there on the floor. Angelo lay down, right beside Kane.

Rinoa walked over and closed the door, then walked back and joined the other two. Together they lay in this brief time of peace in the middle of a field of chaos. Together the rested, together they lay, the three of them sharing their body heat.

Some may call Kane weak for drinking so much, But Rinoa had done the same in her life. She had drunk too much at parties. Seeing Kane unconscious, lying there, alone; it was hers, her weakness; it was her own moment of weakness.

Allright, so that's one long chapter and two more short ones. If anyone is really reading this, I hope it keeps you happy. Next month is my birthday, and I hope to have the next chapter up around about then. Until I do, enjoy the story so far.
thanks,
Michael
Sign up to rate and review this story