Categories > Anime/Manga > Rurouni Kenshin > Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Ch. 34: The Treacherous Climb on Orodruin

by John_the_visionary 0 reviews

Frodo and the others begin climbing Mt. Doom, but Frodo, seemingly worn out, was carried by Sam, Kaoru, and Yahiko, in order to reach the top...

Category: Rurouni Kenshin - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Drama,Fantasy - Characters: Aoshi,Kaoru,Kenshin,Saitou,Sanosuke,Yahiko - Published: 2010-05-02 - Updated: 2010-05-02 - 4931 words

0Unrated


A/n: we're almost there, folks. Just one more chapter before the final battle begins. I hope you people plan to see King Kong this weekend, also directed by Jackson himself, because I sure plan to. By the way, my review count now reaches from 570 to near 580 on FF.net. I hope it will quickly move up to 600 before the year is done. I'd like that very much. Please read and review.









Chapter 34: We can carry you, Mr. Frodo, the treacherous climb on Orodruin







Frodo continued to lie on the ground, even as the light from Sauron's dark eye had left him, passing towards the Black Gate. Kaoru, Yahiko and Sam lifted themselves off the ground as they headed toward Frodo.





"It's gone, Mr. Frodo," said Sam as he was crawling towards Frodo, "the light's passed on, away towards the north. Something's drawn its gaze."

Sam and Yahiko both went to help up Frodo, who still looked very groggy. As they did... Kaoru turned her head in the opposite direction, where the Eye of Sauron went to... the Black Gate, where she suspected Kenshin and the others were...



'.../Kenshin,/' thought an uncertain Kaoru.

As moments passed... Kaoru turned away from the gate, and followed her friends, up the slopes of Mt. Doom.









Aragorn, Kenshin, Gandalf, and the riders made it back to their army. The Heir of Isildur instantly noticed that the soldiers were shifting nervously, as they were beginning to lose their heart and courage for this fight...



"Hold your ground...! Hold your ground!" Aragorn told the frightened soldiers of the West, who stared at him, showing their fear and uncertainty, "...sons of Gondor! Of Rohan...!"

Aragorn turned to Kenshin and his associates and added proudly, "...and Japan! All my brothers!"







The Men of Kyoto... consisting of the Police, the Army, and the Samurai, including the Oniwaban group and Megumi with the children, heard Aragorn say the name of their nation, as if... he knew somehow, that they were listening and watching this struggle that was near its climax.

Aragorn then began, riding back and forth in front of the men...







"...I see in your eyes... the same fear that would take the heart of me...!





"...A day may come... when the courage of man fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of Fellowship...!





"...But it is not this day...!





"...An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down...!





"...But it is not this day...!





"...This day, we FIGHT!"







The men of both worlds hardened their expressions at the destined king, knowing that this was their day of fighting, no matter what the outcome...







"By all that you hold dear, on this good earth," Aragorn proclaimed to his brethren, with Andúril raised, "I bid you, stand...! Men of the West!"

The Men of Rohan and Gondor drew their weapons, following the wishes of their commander...



"Stand, men of Japan!" Aragorn cried out, to the spectators in Kyoto, who began to harden their expressions before the courageous descendant of Elendil, "...stand with all your courage! Stand for whatever you believe to be right and just in your world...

"...FOR THE HOUR OF DARKNESS, IS UPON US NOW!" ended Aragorn proudly as he turned his horse to face the incoming onslaught of Mordor.





Ayame, Suzume, and Megumi hardened their expressions, standing courageously as Aragorn had wanted them. So did the many of the observers in Kyoto, as some of them knew... that Aragorn was acquainted with Kenshin.









Frodo, Kaoru, Yahiko, and Sam were now climbing the steep slopes of Orodruin, as they proceeded to struggle upon the rocks beneath their feet, bending their weariness and failing wills only to the task of going on. From where they were standing and staggering, the mountain of fire had looked taller than it was, though it stood ominous and alone in the heart of Mordor.

However, they all found that the crag was less lofty than Ephel Dúath was when they had scaled it upon the steep staircase delved into it. The mountain rose for maybe three thousand feet above the plain, and above them was reared half as high again its tall central cone, like a vast chimney capped with a jagged crater.

Suddenly...



A tremor was felt within Orodruin and they all heard or sensed a deep remote rumble as of thunder imprisoned under the earth. Frodo and the others slipped and fell, stumbling to a halt, as Frodo was stooped under the ring's weight, continuing to hold him down. Yahiko, though weary as his companions, was more strong-willed than any of them and persisted himself to stand up and went towards Frodo.



"Come on, Frodo!" cried Yahiko, trying to pull the Hobbit to his feet, "don't give up now, we've almost made it!"



But alas, the mountain slept uneasily as another rumble of thunder overtook the rock... making the younger fighter stumble forward, and fall down on his face, knocking the wind out of him...









The Orcs proceeded further from the Black Gate, flowing endlessly and began to surround the men upon the mounds. Aragorn, Gandalf, Kenshin, and the others who rode upon their horses dismounted and sent them away from the battle, taking the clothing with them back to Minas Tirith...





With the iron doors fully opened, the people in Kyoto could see in the background... a view of the Black Land of Mordor, looking upon the tower of Barad-dûr... and the raging, red-hot fires and smoke coming from Mt. Doom. As everyone in Kyoto observed the unfolding battle from where they were. Many of them became worried, and others, were firm in their courage, as Aragorn had told them.



"I don't like this," said Kawaji, "there's got to be something we can do."

"I'm afraid that would be impossible," said Radagast, as he gestured to the fiery eye, "with the presence of that abomination, I'm sure that he would stop any of us from trying to go there to help out."



"And besides, don't you see what's happening?" Omasu broke in, observing, "it looks like Sauron has drawn all his soldiers, and his attention to the entrance of his land."

"Yes," said Kuro, seeing the same thing his friend observed, "I think I see what you're getting at, Omasu."

"It looks like he's cleared his land," added Shiro, "they must be planning this battle so that Frodo will have the time he needs without the Orcs getting in the way."



Radagast nodded firmly in agreement, sensing this was the true objective that Gandalf, Kenshin, and Aragorn had in mind. And it was the last and only plan they had in order to help Frodo complete his task.



"Well, to tell the truth," commented Hiko firmly in an arrogant tone, with eyes closed, "I figured out that this was the intent all along. How else would my idiot apprentice try to help Frodo if he felt that there wasn't any other alternative."

"This is a very clever, yet desperate last attempt of strategy on their part," said Elladan, with a proud expression, "the deeds of Men will outlast that of the Elves."

"But its like they don't stand a chance, this is madness," Kawaji objected still.

The Red Samurai then said, "...I thought the same of Custer, who sent his army of 500 men against 2000 Red Indians, and died trying to fight them. However, there was an even greater battle long ago, that in Thermopylae where 300 brave Greeks fought against a battalion of 1,000,000 Persian soldiers."

"One million, you say?" asked Glorfindel in a foreboding tone, to which the Red Samurai nodded in reply.

"How much is a million?" asked Ayame.

"Lots and lots of soldiers, child," answered Megumi, gesturing up to the image, adding, "...perhaps 100 times worse than what Sir Ken is about to face."



Ayame and Suzume watched the image, with widened eyes, realizing what the view of soldiers against Kenshin would be like if there were many, many more.



"What happened then?" asked Okina.

"The battle went on for a few days," the Red Samurai answered, "the Greeks fought so bravely against the Persians... that they lost their taste for battle, and were defeated in the end by the Greeks."

After hearing this explanation, Radagast commented, "well, there is an old saying that numbers do not matter when it comes to battle. It all depends on the ardor of either side involved."

"Perhaps so," interjected Yamagata, "Himura has always had the greatest ardor of any of us. I would've gladly joined him in this fight."

"In a manner of speaking, we are... by giving him our support," said Radagast, as he went further, "not only the direct route can always get to where one is going. There are many roads that lead there. Kenshin, Aragorn, and Gandalf have let Frodo with his selected company go on the direct route, while they have been going on another, while helping out the nation of Rohan. We too have been on a road of our own, here in Japan. Two worlds, different roads and directions... all leading to the same goal and destination..."

Radagast pointed at the image, finishing, "...into Mordor, where the greatest threat to our worlds has to be destroyed. It is providence and fate that we are to stand here in our respective worlds to witness the final fate of us all."

"...My friend did ask me one time about fate," said the Red Samurai to Radagast, "he asked whether I believed that a man could change his destiny or not. I told him I believed that a man does what he can... until his destiny is revealed to him."



Radagast smiled and nodded at him, feeling that the Red Samurai was the one who spoke with great wisdom this time.



"In any case," resolved Ochika, "we've already done our part in this fight. The rest now is up to Frodo, along with Himura and the others. Like Omasu said before, all we can do now... is wait."

"I concur," agreed Elrohir, "Elladan and I came to this world with the purpose to help only in this world under the wishes of Elrond, our father. We will also have faith in them and watch this battle, so that Frodo will finally rid us of this evil."

"And as much as I loathe the fact that Sir Ken is involving himself in this battle," interjected Megumi, "...I too must believe that he will triumph, whether it is his fate or not."

'I know that Kaoru went along with this Frodo character,' thought Megumi, a little bitterly, 'but she'd better find her way back to Sir Ken... or I'll never forgive her.'

"Uncle Ken can do it!" cried Ayame.

"He always wins!" cried Suzume, "no matter what!"









Frodo, after lying on the ground for a few moments... looked up at the fiery peak above him, looking utterly defeated. Continuing to hold his gaze... he remembered Yahiko's words to him, while trying to pull him up...





Don't give up now... we've almost made it!



With those words engraved in his mind...





Frodo began to pull himself forward slowly and painfully up the mountainside with his bare fingers, summoning what little strength he had left to complete the quest...



The Hobbit's teeth gritted with the effort as he crawled inch by inch, on the rocky, gritty ground underneath him...



Sam, Kaoru, and Yahiko saw Frodo's minute determination, trying to reach the heart of Mt. Doom. Frodo recalled the events of this painstaking journey as he continued to climb...





From when he first met Kaoru and Yahiko, along with bringing Sam when Gandalf sent them all to Bree...





To the meeting with Aragorn who, was first known as Strider at the time...





Then there was the night at Weathertop when the Witch-King of Angmar stabbed him...





Next, the meeting at Rivendell, where Frodo met Kenshin and the rest of his company...





The Council of Elrond's decision to go to Mt. Doom to destroy the ring, and Frodo's choice to take the ring himself, joined by Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Kenshin, Merry, Pippin, Kaoru, Yahiko, Boromir, Gandalf, Misao, Aoshi, Saito, and Sam...





The fatal fall of Gandalf within Moria...





The separation at Amon Hen, to the meeting with Gollum at Emyn Muil...





The journey through Ithilien and the meeting of Boromir's brother, Faramir, while being taken to Osgiliath...





The climbing of the stairs upon Ephel Dúath and the horror of Shelob...





To where they all were now, at Mt. Doom, with Frodo struggling to reach the fires of the mountain. Frodo continued climbing, with all these memories, both good and ill as he endured to crawl up along Mt. Doom. For the purpose of gathering more strength... he even remembered what Sam once said at Osgiliath...





It's like in the great stories that really mattered, Mr. Frodo...



Folk in those stories had many chances of turning back, only they didn't...


They kept going, because they were holding onto something...



That there's some good in this world, like any other, Mr. Frodo...



...And its worth fighting for!





Frodo's mind became even hardened thanks to the remembrance of those words that Sam said, so compassionately. He also remembered a time before the quest even began... when he had a private conversation with his Uncle Bilbo, on the night his birthday...





I'm very selfish, you know, said Bilbo, yes, I am... very selfish. I don't know why I took you in after you father and mother died... but it wasn't out of charity. I think it was... because of all my numerous relationships...you were the one Baggins that showed real... spirit...



Bilbo, have you been at the Gaffer's home brew?
Frodo asked Bilbo in confusion...



No, Bilbo quickly answered, before he changed, well, yes. But that's... that's... not the point. The point is Frodo.

Moments passed as Bilbo paused with uncertainty what to say next...





You'll be all right, ended Bilbo suddenly, not willing to discuss further.



However...







Frodo gave out... and collapsed onto the ground, even after being encouraged by the many memories that he had in order to press on. He was not all right as Bilbo once thought he would be. The many hurts Frodo received throughout the journey had taken their toil upon the weary Hobbit, as he lay there, out of breath... out of encouragement.











Merry and Pippin drew their swords, ready to take on the ever-increasing number of Orcs that were continuing to surround the Men... enclosing them in a tight circle that they would never be able to break through. Éomer and the rest of the soldiers looked on vigilantly as the Orcs entrapped them...





Megumi, Okina, and the rest of the people in Kyoto, willingly and unwillingly accepting their roles as observers of the final battle... stood firmly, giving their best support and wishes to the soldiers in Middle-Earth who were fighting for them...



Misao's eyes narrowed as her expression was firm and hardened, wearing Éowyn's armor, believing that she was with her in spirit as she said she would keeping their bond sacred and strong. Aoshi did the same, wearing Faramir's armor in this deciding fight, even though it was used as a diversion.

"Misao," Aoshi called to Misao, "...you've changed so much since I left you with Okina."



Misao gasped brightly to hear Aoshi say that to her.



Aoshi went on, "you were but a child when I left you... and you've grown up very excellently for your age. I see it even now, in the armor of your friend Éowyn, that you wear, so proudly upon your chest."

Even though his comments were not what she wanted the most out of Aoshi, Misao felt greatly relieved to hear his praise of her.



"Lord Aoshi," said Misao, "you may not admit it... but you've changed too."

"Have I?" asked Aoshi, with a hint of confusion

"Mm-hmm," nodded Misao, "though I can't explain how. And not to mention... you have much in common with Faramir as you both wanted to prove something and were willing to die for it."



Aoshi thought a moment... then nodded to himself, realizing that Misao was right about his and Faramir's connection, as he remembered how Denethor was the first to speak of it. It was the same way of how Aoshi sensed the similarities between Misao and Éowyn.



"But you know what I would really want," added Misao, "...is to see your smile, Lord Aoshi."

"Misao," said Aoshi, "not everyone has the courage to do is, as you do."

"I know that," returned Misao softly, "it's just... that I would like to see you smile, at least."

Aoshi paused before replying gracefully, "...of course."





Sanosuke and Saito stood nearly next to each other in all the time that the Orcs have been marching from the Black Gate, slowly encircling them and the soldiers.





"You got any last words to say, Saito?" asked Sanosuke.

"Why should I waste words with a moron?"

"I said it before, you're asking for it," Sanosuke replied a little agitated.

"Hmm, well if you really wish to know... I really don't plan on dying here until the enemy is defeated. I told the same thing to Shishio, if you remember."

"...Yeah," said Sanosuke, "I remember."

"Do you have any last words to say then?" inquired Saito.

"Not many," answered Sanosuke, "just that we always seem to be fighting on the same side, even though we don't like each other that much."



Saito paused a moment, contemplating Sanosuke's thoughts about being in the same situation time and time again...



"...The feeling's mutual," Saito concurred, before adding, mockingly, "...but I hope we don't make a habit out of it."

"Don't intend to," replied Sanosuke, agreeing with Saito.





Pippin continued to look on at the incoming hordes of Mordor with his sword raised. As he did...





"Pippin," Aoshi called out, standing a little ways beside Pippin, lending the Hobbit one of his kodachi swords, "...you might need this."

"...But Aoshi," replied Pippin, "I don't think I deserve it."

"You'll find your courage," said Aoshi, "...I believe that Lady Galadriel told you the same."



Pippin gasped realizing that Aoshi was right... Galadriel told him that when she gave him and Merry one of the Noldorin daggers. The Hobbit then took the Kodachi from his ice-eyed companion in bewildered honor.

"...Thanks Aoshi," said Pippin in a bemused, yet grateful expression.



As Misao saw Aoshi give Pippin one of his Kodachis, Misao pulled out some of her Kunais... to give to Merry.



"Hey, Merry," said Misao, giving Merry her weapons, "you can have these with you."

Merry turned to her and said, "I've never practiced before. I don't think I can throw them as good as you can."

"Don't worry," assured Misao, "you'll get plenty of practice in this fight."

"...Well then... thanks for the gift, Misao," said Merry.

"No problem," replied Misao, with a smile.





Legolas and Gimli also had last words to share...





"I never thought I'd die fighting side by side with an Elf," said Gimli grimly.

"What about side by side with a friend?" Legolas suggested to Gimli, with a smile.



Gimli paused as he glanced at the Elf... carefully contemplating his words.

"...Aye," the Dwarf softly and happily replied, "...I could do that."





Kenshin had observed the last moments of sharing that took place as he and the others were being surrounded by the Orcs, before the battle was about to commence. The cross-shaped scarred wanderer began musing to himself...





'Its hard to believe... that we've all come here to where we stand now. We've had our share of triumphs, as well as the great losses that we've suffered...

'Sir Boromir... Sir Denethor... Sir Théodred... King Théoden... Sir Haldir... and others I do not know. And many others back in Kyoto have lost their lives, that they have. I do hope that none of my friends were among the casualties.

Sir Gandalf himself was once among the losses we've suffered, but was brought back to complete his task of defeating Sauron and his machinations. In a way, Sano was right about this battle being similar to Shishio, because it did decide the future of Japan... just like how this battle will decide the fate of Japan, as well as this world.

'I remember when Sir Elrond told Aragorn about the Paths of the Dead being his test... about how every path he had traveled had led him there. Now I wonder myself... was the battle against Shishio a test? I accepted the fact that it was an unavoidable battle, between two manslayers that fought in the Revolution, but had opposite visions of the Meiji Era in the end. Perhaps it was yet another part of my preparation for the journey to Mordor to fight Sauron. My journey may have begun the moment I met Sir Radagast many years ago, that it did. It was very convenient how this battle had come, not that long, after Shishio was defeated.

'I first went on my own to fight Shishio, not involving anyone else, but my friends followed me anyhow. It somehow reminds me of what Aragorn mentioned about what Miss Éowyn said to him about how his companions fought beside him because they would not be parted from him... because they loved him. Maybe that was the reason they came to follow me, despite my warnings to them. Now, I have a new dilemma to face...that of the future of Kaoru that I saw into the Palantir.

'By seeing Miss Kaoru killed the way she was... makes me greatly fear that I'll fail to protect another woman that I deeply care about, that it does. However, I cannot concern myself with that at the moment, when all our hopes are riding on this one fight while Sir Frodo reaches the top of Mt. Doom and destroys the ring. If he fails... there may be no future ahead, whether it is good or bad.

'But despite all that, we're all here, together. We've all come here despite our differences. Some have reconciled with each other... some still hold on to their grudges... some even began to admit how deeply they really feel about each other. We are all united in one purpose. And I do feel, somehow... that my friends in Kyoto are watching this battle, that they're giving me great support as they did when I fought against Shishio. Perhaps it was fate that chose me, as well as my friends, to come to Middle-Earth, and fight against Sauron as it was with Shishio.

'I may not have enjoyed the fighting, as I never have... but I do feel relieved to be fighting alongside both old and new friends, in this battle that's truly worth fighting for... unlike the Revolution.
'





Kenshin, after he had finished musing... lightened a small smile to himself, as he gazed on, staring at the Orcs with a relieved sense of being with friends in this deciding battle...











Sam, Kaoru, and Yahiko crawled up to Frodo, who just gave out on climbing up Mt. Doom, despite the strength that drove him earlier. Sam slowly cradled Frodo in his arms, rocking back and forth, while Yahiko was right next to Sam, and Kaoru sat right near Frodo's feet. Orodruin kept rumbling and chunks of fire continued spitting out from its top. Sam's eyes began to shed a few tears as he held Frodo in his arms.



"Frodo," Kaoru spoke to Frodo, "...I know that you're tired. We all are. I know that we've suffered many hurts in this journey, and it's mostly because of the ring.

"...But that doesn't mean," Kaoru went on, firmly, "we have to give up trying to save what's most important to us. There'll always be many hurts as we move on in our lives... but there are also things that fill our hearts with joy and happiness.

"Sam said something like that before, remember?" ended Kaoru, with a question.

Yahiko then interjected, "yeah. And do you want to know what makes my world good... is all the blossoming of the cherry trees in spring. And also these very delicious beef pots from the Akabecko, served by Miss Tae. I'd like to have one of those again.

"So we can't just give up when we're so near to the end... you hear, Frodo?"



A pause of silence came from the group, enduring to watch Frodo's torment under the ring...



Sam then broke the silence, "they're right, Mr. Frodo. We so near that we can't give in to this doom. There are some things to think about, even in this darkness... like the Shire."

Frodo slowly began opening his eyes at the mention of the Shire, staring out, with a blind-like unseeing expression on his face. Kaoru and Yahiko stood in silence as Sam sadly, with tears streaming down his face, began to remind Frodo of the Shire...







"...Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo...?





"...It'll be spring soon...





"...And the orchards will be in blossom...





"... And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket...





"...And they'll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields...





"...And eating the first... of the strawberries with cream...





"...Do you remember the taste of strawberries?" Sam ended, asking Frodo, through his unseeing face.

"...No Sam," replied Frodo, rasping weakly, stuttering in his suffering as Sam wept more tears, and Kaoru and Yahiko looked on, with grave expressions on their faces...





"...I can't recall the taste of food...





"...Nor the--the sound of water...





"...Nor--the touch of grass...





"...I-I'm--I'm...





"...Naked in the dark...





"...There's--there's nothing...





"...No veil, between me, and the wheel of fire...!





"...I can see him... with my waking eyes!" Frodo concluded as he cried hoarsely, yet frighteningly, with his eyes opening wider staring and gasping at something only he could see.

After hearing this, Kaoru, Sam and Yahiko grimaced fiercely, as they've had enough of this dark, horrid shadow that loomed over them for too long...





"Then let us be rid of it... once and for all!" gritted Sam angrily in tears, snarling with new determination, "come on, Mr. Frodo! We can't carry it for you...

"BUT WE CAN CARRY YOU!" declared Sam proudly as he turned to Kaoru and Yahiko, "isn't that right?"

"Yeah!" Yahiko cried out, hardened and determined as Sam, "I'm with you, Sam!"

"Then let's do it," agreed Kaoru firmly, "let's all carry Frodo up this rotten mountain and save our worlds!"

"You heard Miss Kaoru right, Mr. Frodo," Sam gritted fiercely once more at Frodo, preparing to carry him up, "come on! Altogether now...!"





Kaoru grabbed Frodo's feet as she helped Sam to lift him from the ground. Yahiko took Frodo's arm, hanging it around his neck, while Sam carried Frodo with his other arm and Kaoru brought up the rear, carrying Frodo's feet. They were all expecting to feel the dreadful dragging weight of the accursed ring as Frodo did, but were amazed to find that the burden was light...



Sam, Kaoru, and Yahiko handled Frodo with no more difficulty as if they were giving him a piggyback ride. The fiery light of Mt. Doom shone full upon the courageous travelers as they all truly shared Frodo's burden... slowly carrying him and the ring forward, up the mountain slope... one step at a time...











Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.



A/n: What do you think, guys? I just hope you all will have faith in my judgment as some of my fans do.



2nd A/n: I probably should've done this on one of the earlier chapters I posted this month, but I'd like to dedicate this chapter to one of Tolkien's old friends lost in World War I...G. B. Smith, who died this month in December, of 1916. This was something I came across while watching the special features again. But seeing as I would be posting a lot this month, I thought it would be a prudent time, since it was not known what day in December Mr. Smith was lost. The special features also recited, rather eloquently, a letter that Smith wrote to Tolkien in February of 1916:





'My chief consolation is, that if I am scuppered tonight... there will still be left a member of the great TCBS (Tea Club and Barrovian Society) to voice what I dreamed and what we all agreed upon...

'May God bless you my dear John Ronald, and may you say the things I have tried to say long after I am not there to say them, if such be my lot.'



G. B. Smith

3 February, 1916





I thought it was quite poetic, as if Smith somehow foresaw that he would not return from the war. Tolkien lost all but one of his old friends in WWI, which I'm sure that Grey Wolf4 knows, as he was telling me of Tolkien's experiences in that war. But Tolkien and his friends shared the same vision of what he saw to be Middle-Earth, and it was as if the burden of sharing that great vision with the world was laid upon his shoulders, the moment his friends died. It's very sad.



Anyway, Please read and review, and just remember that I'd like the review count to go up to 600 very soon. And don't forget to watch King Kong, if you can.





Sign up to rate and review this story