Categories > Anime/Manga > Rurouni Kenshin > Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Ch. 36: A Joyful Reunion

by John_the_visionary 0 reviews

The ring is destroyed, but Mt. Doom explodes, trapping Frodo, Kaoru, Yahiko, and Sam, who barely survive when the Eagles of the North rescue them, and are finally reunited with the other Fellowship...

Category: Rurouni Kenshin - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Fantasy - Characters: Kaoru,Kenshin,Megumi,Misao,Yahiko - Published: 2010-05-02 - Updated: 2010-05-02 - 6392 words

0Unrated
A/n: Happy New year everybody! Two chapters are being posted for this momentous occasion, as the fic is about to come to a close for all of you. Some of you feel sad that this fic is about to end, just as you felt sad when Lord of the Rings ended. Well, don't feel that way, as there'll be other great fics in the future, whether I write them or not...because these are the first days of 2006. And these chapters are a very good way to start the year, you know. So without further ado, here are chapters 36 and 37. Enjoy.











Chapter 36: The end of all things, a joyful reunion







At the now destroyed Black Gate... the Hosts of the West began celebrating, shouting their cries of joy when the great iron entrance of Mordor fell before them, with the ring destroyed once and for all. Misao jovially hugged Merry and Pippin as they hugged her back, enjoying their triumph over Mordor.



Saito walked over to the edge of the abyss... and flicked away his cigarette, which was in fact the very last one he had, in an unceremonious manner.

"Here's to Mordor," smirked Saito, pitilessly, "you won't be missed."



"Well Kenshin," Sanosuke said to him, laying a hand on him, "that squirt Frodo really did it... he saved us all."

"...No Sano," replied Kenshin, correcting him fervently, "...we all did it... together."

Sanosuke paused a moment as he nodded, thinking the same.

"Yeah," he said, smiling gladly, "...that's right."



Then... a thunderous rumble came from far away, as Kenshin and the others looked in front of them, towards Mt. Doom...







KRRAAAAKKKKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



And the mountain erupted in a great violent and fiery explosion. Merry, Misao, and Pippin recoiled upon seeing the eruption... remembering that their friends Frodo, Sam, Yahiko and Kaoru were still there amidst the explosion...







Fire belched from Orodruin's riven summit. The skies burst into thunder seared with lightning. The remaining Nazgûl had come to the exploded mountain... as chunks of the fiery ruin of the hill shot into them and their fell beasts, like flaming bolts. The wraiths crackled, withered, and went out, disappearing like apparitions... to be imprisoned forever with their master into the great blackness of death where they belonged...







Gimli, Saito, Aoshi, Aragorn, and Gandalf, with a tear running down his face, stood in dazed disbelief, as their eyes watched the violently exploding mountain.



'.../Miss Kaoru/... Sir Frodo,' Kenshin thought dreadfully, with widened eyes at the mountain that just blew, as the sight of the tremendous explosion seemed all-too familiar to him, Sanosuke and Aoshi.

Sanosuke, after looking upon Mt. Doom as it blew... fell down in defeat, as he muttered, " ...I-I, remember... I remember when Shishio's hideout at Mt. Hiei exploded, and when Aoshi and I rushed Kenshin out to escape. This is just like that--except this time... there's no hope of escape for the missie or Frodo. Dammit all..."





Sanosuke then slowly balled his fist... and slammed it against the ground...





"...DAMMIT ALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!" he roared out in anguish.

Misao began to cry, feeling that she'll never see Kaoru or Yahiko again. Pippin felt the same way when he wept as he mouthed out, 'Frodo.'











Everyone in Kyoto was unaware of what unfolded at Mt. Doom, as they cheered their salvation. The people that were stricken in fear of the great eye slowly came from under their hiding places with great merriment, knowing that the nightmare was finally over... for all of them. Yamagata and Kawaji gazed around the city with proud faces, as the evil of Sauron was vanquished from Japan. The soldiers' faces turned from despair to gladness in this hour, the moment the cries of triumph resounded through the city.



"It seems like we've won the day, Mr. Radagast," said Yamagata, "yet I feel... that this was a very dangerous business to begin with."

"It always is when it concerns the fate of the future of worlds," Radagast replied, as he gestured towards the cheering crowds, "...we've won this battle... together. And you all stand together, Samurai, Army and Police officer, as well as Elf-kind. If you had not set aside your differences... we would've suffered under Sauron's mighty hand."

"I can see it myself," interjected the Red Samurai, "a true example of a unified Japan... as the Emperor once said to me that he dreamed of."

Yamagata nodded, as he replied, "yes... we were able to work side by side, despite our differences... but others across Japan have not learned what we've learned. I fear that this is only temporary."

"Indeed," admitted Radagast, "nothing lasts forever, as much as we would want it too. Just like how Sauron wanted to be eternal... but even he learned the hard way that his time would end. All eras have their end, such as the Tokugawa government of Japan, and someday the Meiji Era will pass.

"Everything that has a beginning... has an end," finished the brown wizard, receiving a small, firm nod from Yamagata.

Suddenly...



A bright, shining light dawned upon the faces of Ayame and Suzume as they turned around...





And saw the sun rising, producing its pure, illuminating rays of comfort over the city. The people were filled with such contentment as they have felt the warmth of the sun in what seemed to be a long time for them, due to all the battles and attacks that occurred many months past. For some, the sun shone brighter than it has ever done before. It was surely a wonderful sight for their sore eyes...





"Look at that!" Suzume called, pointing at the sun that shone elegantly in their sights.

"...Beautiful," Megumi added wondrously, letting the beams of the sun cover her face and body, basking within its cleansing light, compared to the evil malicious fires of Mordor.

Radagast brightened also at the rising of the sun as he said, gladly, "...light has returned to this world, Yamagata. You've all been given a second chance. You must learn to use it, wisely. Though the Meiji Era may not last forever... I do believe that it will last as long as it can."



Yamagata nodded fervently.



"Mr. Yamagata," Kawaji called out, with Chou beside him, walking towards Yamagata from behind, "we're ready to start cleanup."

Yamagata turned to Kawaji and responded, "very well Kawaji. Mr. Radagast--"



Yamagata then turned around... to see that Radagast had left, as well as Okina and the Oniwaban group, Katsu, Hiko, the Red Samurai, Sojiro, and the rest of their friends, including most of the elves... have disappeared from sight...



"Well," said Kawaji, "it looks like they've left already, including that Sojiro kid. I just remembered now, that he's a wanted fugitive, being part of Shishio's men. He'll be on the run again."

'Slippery as ever, I see,' thought Chou, smiling, 'happy trails, Sojiro.'

Yamagata paused a moment, then answered, "...they're not important right now, Kawaji. We need get the cleanup started."

"Yes sir," replied Kawaji, agreeing to drop the subject, then turned to Chou, "Chou, get assist in the cleanup."

"Will do, sir," answered Chou, as he turned to Henya, "we better set everything in order Henya."

"Of course," nodded Henya, as he and Chou went off.





"It's finally the end, Mr. Yamagata," Kawaji said fervently to Yamagata, "it was good that the battle with the Dark Lord Sauron was drawn only to here."

"Indeed Kawaji," concurred Yamagata, as he looked to the air, "...and to think that it should fall here, where most of the fighting of the Revolution occurred after 10 long years. Among all my hopes and fears... at least I never expected it."

"Personally, I wouldn't call it over, until we've cleaned up the city," replied Kawaji, gloomily, "...though it will take a lot of time and work. And I don't mean the structural damage... but the mental damage. Clearing up internal matters may be easy... yet this experience was all over the city, not to mention seeing the impossible. We may never be able to cover this up entirely."

"We'll just have to say that Kyoto was overrun with wild beasts, controlled by men from an unknown, underground nation that was planning to invade Japan," suggested Yamagata.

"...Hmm... that could work Mr. Yamagata," pondered Kawaji, in agreement, "seeing as we were in fact under the threat of invasion in the first place. However there'll be more questions that we'll never have the answers to. Besides I don't think anyone would believe that some ancient evil master would come to take our world."

"...Of course Kawaji," answered Yamagata fatefully, as he stared up at the sky, adding, "Himura has done it again. He helped Japan in its greatest hour of need, ever since he went wandering after the Meiji Era began, taking his vow to not kill... helping and saving others freely, without being tied to the government. And he has accomplished it even now, in Middle-Earth, saving us from the threat of the evil Sauron."

Kawaji nodded affirmatively.

"And especially to you, Frodo Baggins, wherever you are now... thank you--thank you for saving us all," ended Yamagata, with eyes closed tightly.









Radagast and the others, especially the Red Samurai... went back to the Aoiya restaurant. They all left Yamagata, Kawaji and the others behind, as they did not want any recognition from the Meiji Government, especially Katsu.



"Mr. Radagast, is it really over now?" asked Suzume.

"Yes, child, everything's okay now," Radagast answered reassuringly, "...the very last end to the War of the Ring."



Suzume, as well as Ayame, smiled gaily, believing the wizard's word.



"Now, that the evil is finally vanquished, I as well as the other elves, can return... to Middle-Earth," added Radagast.

"In that case," interjected Megumi, "why don't we all go with you?"

"We wanna' go too, sir," added Ayame.

"We wanna' go," Suzume repeated her sister, as they were both eager to see Kenshin again."

"I think I'll go too," said Hiko, smirking, "I especially want to give my dumb apprentice a good torture."



Omasu and Ochika giggled with a sheepish blush, to Hiko's calm sense of arrogance, remembering how it had always appealed to them... then turned their eyes to the Elf twins Elladan and Elrohir, who blushed calmly the moment the women smiled at them. Shiro rolled his eyes in annoyance, seeing his friends' behavior with Hiko, as well as the twins, feeling that he'll never understand women.



"I guess you can count me in," said Katsu.

"I think I'll go myself," said Sojiro, smiling sheepishly.



Radagast smiled at the number of willing travelers, who want to see Middle-Earth... and especially Kenshin, whom some of them have missed greatly...



"Then, I guess it's settled," said Radagast.

"Hooray!" the children cried happily.

Radagast then turned to the Red Samurai and asked, "are you coming with us, also?"

"No," the masked samurai answered, "...I'm going back to Taka and the kids. I don't think I'm ready to see a mythic world. And I've had enough playing Wizards and Warriors for one day."

"Had enough of an experience fighting the Orcs here I see," said Okina.



The mystery Samurai nodded once more.



"Who could blame him," interjected Katsu, "I could certainly understand, after being weary of fighting. Isn't that right...?

"...Captain Nathan Algren," Katsu pronounced the Samurai's name, which received surprising gasps from the others, especially Radagast.


The revealed Red Samurai then went for his helmet... and took it off, finally unmasking himself before the others. He had shoulder-length black hair, with a mustache and small beard. The man was indeed foreign as he had no oriental features whatsoever.



"...Of course," said Okina, as he explained, "Captain Nathan Algren... from America. Was brought here to train the army and was captured by Minister Katsumoto Moritsugu. Later on, he and Katsumoto bonded in the time he was his prisoner. When he was released, Algren became dissatisfied with the Imperial Army and sided with Katsumoto to fight against them. All the Samurai were killed in the final battle, including Katsumoto, whom Algren helped to serve him his suicide, in which Katsumoto felt he deserved.

"I have read much about you," finished Okina to Algren.

"I'm flattered," responded Algren, "Taka said to me that wearing the armor that belonged to her husband, Hirotaro, would honor her and her children. And Katsumoto gave me this sword, that he said I would need."

Algren unsheathed his sword a bit, that revealed an inscription in Japanese, "it reads: I belong to the warrior, in whom, the old ways have joined the new." He translated.



Radagast nodded with wisdom, as he liked the way it sounded, as if, to him, it was a message of coexistence...of unity.



"There were many rumors about you, Mr. Algren," interjected Ochika, "that you probably died of your wounds, or that you've returned to your country."

"Well my dear," said Algren, "part of that is thanks that to my chronicler, Simon Graham."

"Indeed," a voice came out. The others turned around...



To see a broad man, with a face, beaming with education, standing proudly, handling a few bags that had notes in them. Algren looked at this man with a smile, in recognition...



"Mr. Simon Graham," said Algren, a little surprised to see him, "I thought I'd never see you here, of all times and places."

"Well, I've had some help from one of the Samurai, who brought me here," answered Graham, with a voice of fascination, "and I must say, what I've seen, is completely extraordinary. A true battle of good versus evil... with mythical people such as these Elves fighting alongside us."



Glorfindel, Rumil, Orophin, Elladan, and Elrohir were flattered to hear Graham's flattering comments about them and their race.



"And the fall of this Dark lord Sauron's land, was exclusively legendary," finished Graham.

"I know," said Algren, "it was like... as if Hell itself was thrown down."

"Indeed it must've been to you," interjected Radagast, "there were other great evils in my world before Sauron came about, such as Morgoth... or even the Dragons of old... all whom in Middle-Earth thought to be the incarnation of evil. But they were mere servants or emissaries of evil. Sauron was no different, for there are other evils that may come in the future."

"...Yes," Algren nodded affirmatively, "that is perfectly true, and we can't even tell anyone about what happened here. Nobody would believe it."

"...True," replied Graham dreadfully, then lightened with a smile saying, "however, it does give me an idea for a great tale of fantasy, one in which a brave nation like Japan, undergoing changes to fit modern society, is under attack from an ancient Dark Lord from another dimension."



Everyone smiled brightly, as they liked the idea that Graham was presenting.



"Well, I wouldn't want it published now," added Graham, "but someday when this dreadful business about Mordor has been long forgotten. After all, I had long been chronicling tales of the Samurai, and translated them."

"To be honest," interjected Katsu, "I'm a fellow chronicler myself, and have my own newspaper. I may have to write about what's happened here, since I've devoted my paper to expose the dirty deals of the Meiji Government. They may try and cover up this affair like they did with everything else. But somehow... I don't think this cover up will be as dirty as the others, so whatever they have to say, I'm going to write the same thing in my paper too.

"...Who would've ever thought that for once I'd agree with the Government," ended Katsu with irony.

"Well, we have to be on our way now," said Algren, biding his farewells.

"Goodbye Algren," said Katsu, "until we meet again."

"We just might, Mr. Tsukioka," replied Algren slyly, then turned to Radagast, "hey Radagast... this was a very good conversation we had with everyone. I'll miss our conversations, as I'll miss the ones I had with Katsumoto."

"And I'll miss them greatly as well... Nathan Algren," returned Radagast kindly.



Algren nodded in kind... as he and Graham turned away from the others, to go back to the wilderness.

"Goodbye!" cried the children, receiving a wave from Algren, as he continued to walk away.



"Well," said Elladan, "I guess we all are going to Middle-Earth now."

"Yes," said Radagast, "I'll contact Gandalf..."



'Gandalf, can you hear me?' Radagast tuned his thoughts to Gandalf... but then gasped as he wore a face of despair, like something had bothered him.



"Oh dear," spoke Radagast forebodingly in a small voice.

Megumi, Okina, and the others were bemused as to what was troubling him...



"Radagast," said Megumi, as she asked, "is there something wrong? Is Sir Ken okay?"

Radagast snapped out of his trance, and replied, "Kenshin is alright, but--after Sauron was defeated... Mt. Doom erupted violently, blowing up a great amount of lava from the top. And Frodo, along with his friends were there when it happened."



Everyone gasped in shock, remembering that Kaoru and Yahiko were there, trying to destroy the ring.



"Then that means," Megumi said, with despair filling her, "...Kaoru and Yahiko are trapped!"

Radagast nodded fearfully, as Ayame and Suzume became frightened for their friends once more...











The lava within Mt. Doom bubbled and sprayed up the moment the ring melted within it. Frodo, Sam, Kaoru and Yahiko raced quickly towards the exit, as the walkway collapsed from underneath them. They ran out of the entranceway just ahead of the river of lava that followed out of Sammath Naur... and jumped upon an outcropping of rock.

But they continued further, running away from the lava, as it flowed freely out of Mt. Doom. The travelers knew they could not run any further as they reached another outcropping of rock and settled upon it. Frodo stood pale and worn, his eyes filled with peace now... and there was neither strain of will... nor madness... nor any sign of lagging fear in him anymore--breathing with great relief... of the completion of the quest...






"...It's gone," Frodo quietly spoke out, with even more relief, as his burden... was finally taken away from him entirely, "...it's done."



"Yes Mr. Frodo," agreed Sam, wearily, "...its over now."

"And our worlds are safe," added Kaoru, with Yahiko nodding serenely.



Frodo smiled brightly, agreeing with his friends...





Then more eruptions occurred, rocking Frodo onto the ground, letting himself have a moment of well-deserved rest, that he can now finally have. The flowing lava now flowed around their rock, as they all rested there together.

Yahiko and Sam looked out upon Mordor, and the pooling lava, gazing at what they all have wrought together, and knew that there's no way for them to escape.


"Well," said Yahiko, in a low voice, "it doesn't look like we can escape now. I guess this means you were right about there not being a return journey, Sam."

"I don't know, Mr. Yahiko," said Sam, with a different, yet skeptical thought, "...we might make it out, somehow. You said so yourself, remember?"



Yahiko turned to Sam with a flattered, sighing expression, feeling that now, of all times, was Sam finally having the faith of going home alive... and together. Kaoru looked at Frodo's wounded hand, noticing that it was bleeding still.



"Frodo, you're still bleeding," said Kaoru, as she went to tear off a piece of her bottom garb, to wrap it around his finger, "here--"

But Frodo recoiled, as if he felt he didn't deserve her hospitality, after they were fighting to kill each other for the ring.



"Frodo, what is it?" Kaoru asked bemused.

"You would help me still, knowing that I tried to kill you?" responded Frodo, questioningly.

"I tried to kill you too, Frodo," mentioned Kaoru, "and the way I see it, we're both at fault. So there's no reason why I shouldn't help you."



Frodo paused before he nodded for Kaoru to wrap the torn piece from her garb over his finger. Kaoru herself then reeled in pain, from the massive bite Gollum took out of her.

"Oh my, Miss Kaoru!" gasped Sam, as he tried to rip off his other sleeve, "you've got yourself a nasty bite too. Here, I'll give you a bandage--"

"No Sam," Frodo said, stopping his gardener from tearing his sleeve off, "you'll need the rest of your clothes, for you have given enough on this journey. Now, it is I who must give something--to Miss Kaoru... as she said herself that we were both at fault, and it would be unreasonable not to help her."



Kaoru smiled appreciatively at Frodo as he willingly tore off his left sleeve... and wrapped it tightly around Kaoru's arm.

"Thank you, Frodo," said Kaoru... as she gently cupped her hand over Frodo's, that was binding the wound on her arm.





Frodo gasped in surprise, not expecting this treatment from Kaoru, as she smiled lovingly on the Hobbit, forgiving him for being corrupted by the ring, since it was now destroyed. Frodo, after staring at her a few moments... returned her smile with an even brighter smile of his own, liking the feel of her soft, warm loving hand on his, comforting his wound... as they both now have something else to connect them together.

Frodo then lay down against the rock, with Kaoru sitting beside him. Yahiko and Sam sat together, next to Frodo and Kaoru, with the fires erupting and crashing all around them still, waiting for the end to come... whether they were faithful of getting out alive or not.



As he lay... Frodo, with eyes closed, began saying, happily in exhaustion, aloud... and to himself, gazing inwardly...







"...I can see the Shire...





"...The Brandywine river...





"...Bag End...





"...Gandalf's fireworks...





"...The lights... in the party tree..."





"...Tokyo," Kaoru then started, saying aloud silently, yet happily as Frodo, "...the Kamiya dojo... the blooming, of Cherry blossoms..."

"...The delicious beef pots," added Yahiko, immensely relieved, "...at the Akabecko."

"...Rosie Cotton dancing," said Sam, dreamily, yet began to weep, "...she had ribbons in her hair."



Frodo, Yahiko, and Kaoru looked at Sam in surprise, as he said a fair lady's name, like it meant a lot to him.



"If ever I was to marry someone... it would've been her," Sam added sadly, weeping even greater than before, "...it would've been her!"

Frodo then sat up, and put his arm around Sam's shoulders, leaning his head against Sam's.



"...You know... I... always wanted to be with Kenshin... so that we could be married one day," Kaoru said, with a smile, as tears began to flow from her eyes.

"...And I guess," added Yahiko, almost to himself, "...I was always fond of Tsubame, in a way. Always being so kind and gentle ever since I met her at the Akabecko."



Kaoru smiled a little, upon seeing Yahiko start to admit how strongly he felt about a young waitress at their favorite beef-pot restaurant.



She then turned to Frodo and asked, "did you have anyone special like that Frodo?"

Frodo answered, sadly, "no... I've never had someone special like that in my whole life. Not like the special people I have here in front of me...

"...I'm glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee," Frodo said to Sam, then to the others, "...Kaoru Kamiya... and Yahiko Myojin."



Yahiko and Kaoru brightened, knowing that they now have a special place in Frodo's heart...



"I'm glad to be with all of you," Frodo repeated... his eyes taking in their hostile surroundings... as he finished, "...here at the end of all things."

Kaoru paused as she gazed upon Yahiko, who gave a nod of approval, accepting the inevitable death... that awaited them all...



"...So are we Frodo," Kaoru replied finally, as she laid her hand with Frodo's, that was around Sam, "...at the end of all things."

"...The end of all things," repeated Yahiko, laying his hand with Frodo and Kaoru's hands.

Sam, after a few moments... laid his other hand, to complete the circle of friendship that was ever with them as he ended, gravely, "...the end of all things."



Moments passed...





And Yahiko began to cry tears... as was Kaoru... and then Frodo... as all four of them embraced in a hearty group hug, believing that they'll all die together... upon the ruin of Mt. Doom...























...As time passed... even more...

















...In what seemed to be an eternity...

























The travelers lay upon the rock, worn out and choked from the fumes and heat... or stricken down by despair... from all the searing lava that flowed around them freely, like a lake of fire... while the land around them continued falling to pieces in fiery chaos...







AAUUUUUCCKKK!!!!!

Sounds of crowing came from the sky... and out of the shadows and ruin of the clouds...





A group of three great eagles, Gwaihir, Landroval, and Meneldor the swift, appeared suddenly as they spotted the heat exhausted wanderers. Gandalf and Kenshin rode upon Gwaihir once more, as the eagle had flown them out of Isengard together...





Gwaihir swooped low as he carefully grabbed Kaoru and Frodo with both his talons, and bore them away into the air...

Landroval alighted on the rock outcropping with one taloned foot as he gently picked up Sam with the other... and flew off...

Meneldor did the same, landing softly upon the rock, then used one of his claws to lift up Yahiko from the rock... to be carried away from Mt. Doom and Mordor...





Frodo, while being held by Gwaihir in his talons... was in a daze as his eyes opened, like he was in a dream, unknowingly what fate befell him and his friends... as they were all miraculously saved from the fires by the Great Eagles of the North...





The weary Frodo slowly... and silently closed his eyes... passing out once more...











Until he was laid upon a bed, with the sun's luster shining all around him. Frodo was dressed in white, as the bed he was in... was also covered in white, as was the pillow. It was like he was laid in a heavenly cradle of extreme warmth and radiance. The Hobbit groaned suddenly... as he could faintly hear the cawing of the small birds that were in the air...



"Frodo..." a soft, loving voice called to Frodo... as he began to open his eyes slowly...



"...Frodo..."



The voice called again, as he turned his head to the side, where he heard the voice, with his eyes open fully, and stared for long moments... like he was in a trance...







"...Miss Kaoru," gasped Frodo, with wide eyes, "...Kenshin..."



Frodo saw Kaoru and Kenshin together, though Kaoru was sitting in a chair, while Kenshin was standing...

"...Welcome to Minas Tirith, Sir Frodo," said Kenshin, welcoming him with a smile, "you are no longer within Mordor, that you most certainly aren't."

Frodo smiled a moment... then as a voice interjected, "well, I see that you're up now."



Frodo wondered to himself where the voice came from... as a tall, beautiful woman, with long dark green hair, and a sly look on her face, appeared in front of Frodo, walking around his bed. The Hobbit was mystified to see her, as she wore the same manner of dress as Kenshin...



"...You better watch yourself, because you're still in recovery," she added.

"Who are you?" asked Frodo.

"I'm a friend of Sir Ken's," the woman replied.

"Sir Ken?" inquired Frodo, "...you mean Kenshin?"

"Yes," she answered fondly.

"Miss Megumi is from our world, Sir Frodo," explained Kenshin, "as soon as she heard of the success of the quest, she and more of our friends from Kyoto came here immediately, that they did."

"...Kenshin," said Frodo, "the quest almost failed. The ring--"

"We know what happened at Mt. Doom," replied Kenshin, solemnly, "...Miss Kaoru told us everything. I'm sorry about your hand, Sir Frodo, that I am."



Frodo lifted his hand, which was bandaged on the missing finger, and looked at it... with the utmost sympathy.



"Miss Megumi was the one who bandaged your hand, that she was," said Kenshin.

Frodo turned to Megumi and said, "thank you, my lady."



Megumi nodded fervently.



"I cannot take most of the credit for destroying the One Ring," said Frodo, sadly, "it was mostly Gollum who did that. In the end... it was he who completed the quest, even though he intended to kill us. The ring took me...

"...And I lost one single finger because of that," ended Frodo, remorsefully, gazing at his bandaged missing finger.



"Well just be thankful, that's all you lost," said Megumi, then began smirking, "and who knows, you'll probably end up being a great legend as time goes by--the Grand epic tale of Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Destruction!"

Megumi laughed her usual fox-like face, as she finished saying her sly remarks about Frodo's quest, which received a rather embarrassed expression from the Hobbit.



"Still the same as ever," said Kaoru, sheepishly, "aren't you, Miss Megumi?"

Megumi nodded as she replied, "well, some things never change in the end, Kaoru."



"Gandalf told me," said Frodo, intoning, "...that Gollum would have a part to play before the end, whether it was for good or ill. Without his interference at the bitter end... the quest would've been in vain. So we should forgive him."

"Of course," agreed Kenshin.

"...I know that I already have," added Kaoru, softly, with her head lowered, "he's been a tortured soul for most of his life. My only hope now... is that he has found peace at last."

Frodo nodded in agreement as he said, gloomily, "...and throughout all this--my only great wish... is that I would see Gandalf once more if he hadn't fell in Moria."



Kenshin and Kaoru sympathized with the Hobbit... but rather smiled brightly instead of bearing sad, depressed looks upon their faces... like Frodo's...



"...Actually Frodo," said Kaoru brightly, "...Gandalf is..."

"...Right by your side, Frodo," an old man's voice finished for Kaoru... as Frodo's eyes suddenly widened with shock, feeling that he was hearing but a mere shadow... of his old wizard guide...





But Kenshin and Kaoru smiled still... as Kenshin gestured his head... towards the bottom of Frodo's bed...



Unprepared, and full of fear still... Frodo closed his eyes softly... hoping that his ears were not mistaken to what he heard...



Frodo then shifted from his bed... as he slowly sat up, with his eyes closed still. The frightened Hobbit slowly opened his eyes...



And gazed upon the familiar figure of Gandalf, dressed as white as snow, standing at the end of the bed that Frodo laid upon...





"...Gandalf?" Frodo gasped in brightened disbelief, with his eyes now full of surprise and rising with happiness, when he nodded slowly.

Frodo turned his head to Kenshin, Kaoru, and Megumi for a moment, before turning back to Gandalf... his gaze completely fixed on him...





As the wizard began laughing gaily... to which Frodo could not help but join in, laughing as loudly with much joy as Gandalf was. Kenshin and Kaoru looked upon the chortling reunited pair, with such contentment in their eyes... feeling the same way when they were reunited after the quest succeeded, with an inadvertent, yet tragic serendipity, courtesy of Gollum.

The door to Frodo's room opened suddenly...





Revealing Merry and Pippin behind it. But they were not alone... as two little girls accompanied them, who were also from Kenshin's world--Ayame and Suzume.



"...Frodo!" Merry cried gaily as he and Pippin brightened immensely to seeing Frodo again.

"Look, he's awake!" cried Ayame, happily.

"He's awake!" Suzume repeated her sister's glad cry...



Frodo looked upon the door, seeing the four guests run up to him... jumping cheerfully onto the bed, and hugged him jovially. Frodo was reunited with two more of his Hobbit brethren, and enjoyed the company of Ayame and Suzume, who hugged Frodo together...

Another arrival came from the door...



It was Sanosuke, standing proud with his bandanna on his head and white jacked branded with the symbol for 'bad' on the back.



Frodo turned to the new arrival and gasped, "Sanosuke?"

"So, you went off on your own eh?" said Sanosuke, as he ran over towards Frodo... and started nuzzling his fist on his head, with his arm holding Frodo on the neck, "...I guess I have to teach you a lesson about that."

"Hey Sanosuke, let me have a go!" Pippin exclaimed, wanting a chance to nuzzle Frodo on the head.

"I want my chance to nudge at him too, Pip," Merry said eagerly.

"Sorry guys," said Sanosuke, wanting to hog all the fun, "I've got all dibs on this one."

"Hey, you idiot," objected Megumi, "he's still in recovery."

"What's the point, fox lady?" question Sanosuke, continuing to nuzzle Frodo, "I did the same thing to Kenshin when he recovered from Shishio."

"Who are you calling a fox lady?" Megumi fumed... as Ayame and Suzume joined in, nudging their tiny fists into Frodo's stomach and chest.



Despite all of Megumi's continuous objections... Frodo seemed to enjoy being nudged and nuzzled, as he laughed loudly and joyfully. Frodo knew that Sanosuke was glad to see him, even through his playful fist maneuvers...



Katsu Tsukioka came in through the door next, seeing his friend Sanosuke nuzzling Frodo and arguing with Megumi at the same time.

'That idiot doesn't change one bit,' thought Katsu as he walked over to the bed...





Radagast then arrived next, as he joined alongside Gandalf at the end of Frodo's bed. Gandalf turned to his fellow wizard... and smiled as they stood together in great comradeship and brotherhood. The two wizards laughed as gaily as Frodo when he was still being nuzzled in the head, and in the chest and stomach...



Saito came through the door, but did not come beside Frodo... instead he stood against the wall, as he humphed bitterly at the people who really, really missed him a lot...

'Those morons,' thought Saito, mockingly.



Misao and Yahiko came in afterwards, smiling happily, that Frodo was now awake...



"Heh, heh, heh!" Yahiko chuckled brightly.

"Hey, Frodo!" exclaimed Misao as she and Yahiko ran over to his bed.



Following after Misao and Yahiko...



Were Okina, Omasu, Kuro, Shiro, and Ochika of the Oniwaban group... as they all stood around Frodo's bed, smiling warmly at the Hobbit, who was responsible for saving their city... as well as their whole world...



Sojiro Seta, with his innocent-like expression beaming across his face entered and stood by the wizards, on Gandalf's side. Though Frodo was with an increasing number of strangers... he welcomed them gladly, as he thought... or knew that they all were friends of Kenshin...





"HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!" a joyful shout came next. Frodo turned to the door...





"Gimli!" Frodo cried out as he saw the stouthearted dwarf Gimli, clapping his hands together in great excitement... and also went to join everyone at the bed...



Legolas... then Aoshi came through after Gimli, their faces hardened with a serene look. Legolas smiled brightly down on Frodo, while Aoshi nodded firmly at the Hobbit... as they went to take their places beside him...



A tall, muscular man, with black hair, wearing an extravagant white cape, stood in front of the door next. Frodo gazed in awe upon the man... as his presence smote the heart of the recovering Hobbit greatly--from the arrogant, yet superior look on his face... down to the boots he wore on his feet. Frodo became astonished at the Man's imposing appearance, as he nodded proudly at him. This man was none other than Kenshin's master--Seijuro Hiko 13th.

Then... as Hiko moved towards Frodo...





Aragorn walked through the door, dressed very kingly in Gondorian garb, with a grand smile at the awaken Hobbit.

"Aragorn," said Frodo, smiling at the ranger, who grinned down at him and walked to his bed.





For Frodo... it was like a Fellowship reunited with old--and new friends standing beside him... with Merry, Pippin, Ayame, and Suzume hopping, and bouncing down upon his bed having the greatest kind of fun ever. Everyone was accounted for... except for one other...





Samwise Gamgee... who came by last... but only stood in the doorway, also not taking a place around Frodo. Frodo, however, spotted his brave gardener... and the smile slipped as he met Sam's gaze, with a look of understanding, friendship... as well as love, which Sam returned fondly with his glad smile. Frodo was glad, as he especially knew that he couldn't have done it... without his most loyal, faithful Sam by his side. Suddenly... Yahiko noticed that Frodo had his gazed fixed towards the door.

The boy Samurai looked towards the door, and also spotted Sam, standing at the doorway. Sam instantly noticed Yahiko looking at him... and smiled even greater, as he nearly forgot to thank Yahiko for his stubborn encouragement to remind him of why he went on the quest with Frodo, among other things. Sam especially would not have gotten back up from his moment of despair at Cirith Ungol if Yahiko hadn't gone after him.



With that, Yahiko nodded firmly at Sam returning the gesture... as he smirked arrogantly, with an expression that stated the obvious.













Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.



Additional Disclaimer: The Last Samurai and all of its characters are property of Edward Zwick, Warner Bros. Pictures, etc.

A/n: well, I guess some of you are happy that I finally revealed the Red Samurai to be Nathan Algren. I guess seeing the movie, Last Samurai was a big giveaway, huh? The idea came from one of my reviewers, X-over (Luis).

I said to him that I was going to only mention him, but he insisted that putting him in would be a good idea. I finally gave in when I thought about the armor he wore, and how the original owner, Hirotaro, wore a helmet and a mask that covered all his features, save his eyes. That was how I agreed to put in Algren. But he, despite having a major presence in the fic, was only a minor character since this was strictly a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings.



Please read and review.

Sign up to rate and review this story