Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Base/Line

Wasting Goodbye

by Monoshiri 1 review

What she says is not what she means. TayuJirou if you squint at it just right.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Characters: Other - Warnings: [!!!] [?] - Published: 2006-04-24 - Updated: 2006-04-24 - 489 words

3Moving
Tayuya's never been good at using words as anything but weapons. Her favourite target is Jiroubou; it bothers him like nothing else, hearing foul words come out of a pretty girl, while the others have long learned to yawn and ignore her. Jiroubou's slow to learn; he argues or lectures, she responds with barbs, and he falls silent, resentment clouding his narrow, dark eyes, before getting up to leave. Tayuya savours her hollow victory, ignores the accusing look from Kidoumaru, and goes off to practise her flute.

When they were kids of seven playing hide-and-seek, when Orochimaru-sama was still a kind of god/benevolant uncle figure, Jiroubou was always found first, always by Tayuya, who subsequently heaped abuse on him in the form of fat jibes, taking grim delight in making the big boy cry. He stopped crying eventually; Tayuya secretly took perverse pleasure in having toughened him up. Later, she would throw out the muddy flowers that had been deposited on her bed anonymously, and deliberately ignore Jiroubou's hurt eyes and hotly blushing cheeks.

She wouldn't have been doing him any favours, letting him stay a fat wimp crybaby.


= = = =

"So it's definite, then?"

"Yes," Sakon said gleefully. "We'll retrieve Uchiha Sasuke for Orochimaru-sama."

"Heh, could be fun," Kidoumaru enthused. Ukon and Tayuya both rolled their eyes in disgust: the spider-nin's strange sense of humour again. Then his dark brow furrowed. "But what happens if we're followed?"

"Depending on the strength of the enemy..." Jiroubou began.

"We could just throw you at 'em, fatass," Tayuya said casually, reaching over to prod Jiroubou's beefy arm with her flute. "That'd stop pretty much anything. Plus, you're weak and you'd slow us down anyway."

His eyes clouded, and for a moment she was reminded of how his chubby face used to crumple when she hurled meaningless (to her) words at him so long ago. But he stood up and his expression was hard. "Alright. But quit calling me fatass."

"Like hell I will, chickenshit," was all she said, when what she meant was, "I trust you."

= = = =

Tayuya lay on her back on the gurney, unable to move, staring up at the dank cement ceiling. Kabuto was saying things to her that hurt like no mere knife ever could: she might get the use of her legs back if he completely rebuilt her spinal chord, they hadn't found Sakon and Ukon yet and probably wouldn't because those Sand puppeteers were very thorough, Kidoumaru was in a coma and unlikely to come out, and Jiroubou was, well, have a look for yourself, Tayuya-kun.

She managed to turn her head, and stared at the big sheet-draped figure on the gurney beside her in silence. Such a waste, Kabuto tutted disapprovingly. I did think him stronger than some Leaf genin, but oh well.

Only after Kabuto had been out of the room a good ten minutes did Tayuya allow herself to cry.

= = = =

Challenge was: last chance
Sign up to rate and review this story