Categories > TV > Buffy the Vampire Slayer > BUFFY Meets STAR TREK

Lost To Darkness

by johnnysnowball 0 reviews

Category: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2010-05-30 - Updated: 2010-05-31 - 4090 words - Complete

0Unrated
- Lost To Darkness -

8

The observation lounge was in uproar. People were asking questions; wanting answers. Answers that simply weren't all that clear as yet. Tempers were beginning to fray among the assemblage. Worf and Martok were in a heated argument with Giles and Buffy; blaming them for the strife that had been brought upon them, whilst Troi was refereeing between Riker, Spike and Willow. Amongst the fuss, Picard felt he might be coming down with a rare and unusual headache.

The room fell deadly silent, however, when the doors slid apart for Doctor Crusher and...

"Oh, my God! Xander!" cried Willow in shock.

He came into the lounge looking worn; his hair pasted with clotting blood. Dark crusted stains peppered his Dodgers' shirt.

Xander realised Willow's concern. "Oh, it's not mine. I... there was... it..." He seemed too upset to get the words out.

The doctor continued for him: "We were stretched a little thin during the attack. Mr. Harris here helped us move some of our more severe patients. I need to get back to sickbay as soon as I can, Captain. Things are still rather frantic there."

Picard nodded in acknowledgement.

"It was...intense," added Xander.

Buffy noted that, blood aside, Xander was looking scruffier than usual.

Xander himself was aware that the Klingons were giving him a bitter look, but at this point he didn't really give a hoot.

"There's a few rumours flying around the ship," Xander pointed out to the group. "What happened?"

"We're not sure," answered the captain, taking the opportunity to address them all. "But Commander La Forge is due here any moment with the last recorded information from our sensors. What we have been able to ascertain is that... It would appear that... It was Commander Data who destroyed the observatory."

The impact of this hit Willow hard. "Why would he do that?"

"To kill /us/," Buffy said sourly, referring to the Scoobies.

Giles took Buffy's lead to expand on her statement. "We are the only individuals in this universe who understand the nature of what this 'Spirit' is. I believe, Captain, that your Commander Data has been possessed by the evil one."

"/Possessed/?!" Riker boomed in his usual stern manner. "You didn't mention possession! You said it was harmless!"

Giles flustered. "Well, I...I didn't know."

From the far side of the room, Spike let out a humoured huff. "So...Robo-Dork's gone AWOL and turned nasty, then?"

Their lack of response confirmed this. He turned to Buffy. "You didn't happen to shag him did ya, Slayer?"

Enraged, Buffy made a move for him but composed herself quickly when Giles put a hand on her shoulder. He wasn't worth it.

"Remind me again why you're even here," Giles fumed.

The vampire backed off.

Xander got them back on track: "But then he tried to kill us all, right? Himself along-with. What's that about?"

"The Spirit would still survive if the host-body died," said Giles. "Or, in Data's case, was destroyed. By destroying this ship, he would kill all who know of his existence and free his power."

"Killing two birds with one android," said Buffy.

The doors parted again, this time for La Forge. His eyes around the optical implants were worn with stress and worry. He confirmed their fears. "When security cornered Data he used the cargo transporters to beam onto the Klingon ship while their shields were down. And there are two containers of Venoxide missing from the bay."

"Venoxide?" asked Buffy.

"Exxodine-Venoxide. It's a lethal liquid gas. We picked it up a few days ago. We...just hadn't got around to disposing of it. The co-ordinates of Data's transport took him right to their primary environmental processor."

By now it was clear to them all what he would want with the Venoxide.

"So, he took over their ship and tried to nuke us again," Buffy said.

Giles nodded. "To free his Mastery and command our souls."

"His last resort," said Xander. "Take us all to Hell and wait for another host to come sailing by in a shiny new ship."

"But he ran away," Willow murmured. "I mean...flew away."

"I was about to disable his ship," Riker informed them.

"And he already had what he needed," said Buffy.

They paused to let things sink in a little.

"Okay," Xander said at last. "The thing I'm wondering is ... where does an entity of pure evil wanna be so badly that it's willing to leave without killing the only ones who could stop it?"

They thought about that briefly. Where would it go?

Buffy remembered something. "You said the box came from a...a hole in space?"

"I still don't understand how that portal opened," Giles mentioned.

Riker recalled a Federation communiqué he had read. "Wasn't the science team at Sal Fusia-Six using an experimental sensor system?"

His captain nodded, also remembering. "Yes, that's right Number One. They're using some kind of high-level particle field."

"Could that have caused the rift to open?" Troi asked.

In the absence of Data, they all turn to La Forge.

He looked a little surprised. "I...I don't know... maybe."

"Data would have known about this," said Picard.

"And I'm guessing whatever Data knows - IT knows," Buffy surmised.

Xander made the final Scooby statement: "It's going to open the gate to the demon realm it came from!"

However, Giles added to it, "And summon its army."

"Not if we get there first!" Buffy declared, suddenly spurred into action.

At last! Something she could fight. "Captain Picard - set course for Sal Foo... thingy. Giles - I know you don't have your books, but I need you and Willow to put your heads together and give us some options - work some of that magic. Xander-" She stopped. Picard and his crew were looking at her oddly. "What?"

Geordi gave her a defeated shrug. "We're not going anywhere anytime soon. We're in pretty bad shape. There's no way we can catch up to Data before he reaches the Sal Fusia System."

Xander sighed. "That'd explain why he left us here not dead."

Geordi gave a basic repair estimate of eleven hours. Fifteen if they wanted to be battle-ready -which he hoped to reduce to seven.

Picard decided to take the time to give Starfleet a full update of the situation.

As the conference was adjourned, Worf asked one last, personal, question: "What of the crew onboard the J'KTAH RIJ?"

Giles felt it only fair to be honest. "I'm afraid they may now be the beginnings of what could become a terrible army."

"Then they are lost!" Angered, Worf and the Chancellor took leave.

It wasn't long before only Picard, Troi and Riker remained in the observation lounge.

"I'm still not convinced they can be trusted," Riker remarked. "How can we be sure they're not keeping anything from us?"

"They're telling the truth, Captain," Troi responded. "And they're almost as uncertain as we are. In fact, I'm sensing that most of them are annoyed by the fact that they don't know more."

"What about the 'vampire'?" Riker asked her, emphasising the absurdity of what Spike claimed to be. "You said yourself that you can't read him."

"Yes," she answered. "But he doesn't seem to be part of their group. They shun him. From the outside, it's clear there's a dislike between Spike and the others. Obviously there would be if he represents the very thing they are opposed to. But beneath this, I feel a bond between them - on the side of the living, at least. Almost an affection. It's quite strange."

"Very touching," commented Riker. "But it doesn't change the fact that we have no proof to support their claims."

Picard took in a deep and considering breath. "I can certainly understand your misgivings, Number One. And I'm not ignorant to the possibility that they are not what they appear. However, I like to think of myself as a fairly proficient judge of character, and although the younger members of their group confound me..."

Troi smiled at this. Buffy and her friends were certainly from a world of their own.

"...I have found Mr. Giles to be a man of principle and integrity. I do trust him, Will. And along with the counsellor's observations, I see no reason not to at this point. More importantly; the time may come when we need their help."

It was clear to Riker he wasn't going to win any arguments here. His captain's decisions were final and he would stand by them. Nevertheless, there was still a dangerously out of control Bird of Prey heading for a peaceful science station. In addition, if Data was onboard and really was working against them, they wouldn't know what hit them until it was too late. "Understood, Captain. About the station at Sal Fusia-Six?"

"Yes, of course. If Data is on his way there, they won't be expecting an attack. I'll request that Starfleet send someone to hold him off until we can reach them."

"What if they can't get to him in time?" asked Troi. "There are over a hundred crewmen on that station. Nearly thirty families."

Riker had a sudden flash of recollection. "I got a message from an old friend just last week - a lieutenant on the /Vasco da Gama/. He said they were populating a new colony in one of the outlying Federation systems in sector one-one-three-eight before making their way back to Earth. They should have at least reached the D'varri nebula by now."

That was between the two systems closest to Sal Fusia.

"Contact the Vasco da Gama, Number One. If they are close enough, they might help us."

Picard ended their meeting and left for his readyroom.

When the captain had gone, Riker saw that his Imzadi was giving him a sore expression. "What?"

"You're not even willing to entertain the possibility of there being supernatural forces out there, are you?"

He laughed. "No. No I'm not. It's not scientifically possible, Deanna."

"Not even in another reality?"

He looked at her as if to stand by his statement.

She smiled a bitter and humourless smile. "You know, Will, sometimes you can be the most stubborn and pig-headed person I've ever met. And that kind of attitude won't help the mission any. Don't you think things are hard enough without you adding friction? ...For an explorer, you're not very open-minded, Commander." She got up and stepped out of the room without another word.

'Where the hell did that come from?' Riker stayed there a while, thinking about what she had said. Then he remembered the Vasco da Gama. He left the empty conference room and went to make a call.

*

Balance. Clarity. Circulation. Focus. Discipline.

She quietened her mind and held it there; empty of thought, fear, worry, anger. But always alert. Yin.

'Calmness /in the heart of movement is the secret of all power/'

She remained mindful at all times of her tan tien - her life breath, the straightness of her spine, and the flow of Chi through her very being. Buffy brought her arm up in a graceful, precise movement that was charged with symbolism, feeling the texture of the air she moved through.

The 'doorbell' rang.

Losing all concentration, she cursed and faced the doorway. "It's open."

The doors to Buffy's quarters parted to reveal a 'blushing' Spike. "Um..." He indicated the boundary that held him back.

"Get out."

"You've not even invited me in yet."

She tapped the wall control and the door slid shut and locked.

Spike rang the bell a few times, so she gave in with a puff and opened them again.

"Look, Buffy, about what I said back there..."

"What you said, Spike, was humiliating! It was low even for you! And you had no right to air my personal life in front of anyone, let alone a group of people we hardly know! How are they ever going take us seriously when every time they see us we're fighting between ourselves? But why would I expect anything else from /you/?!"

Spike was nodding in agreement. He began to speak, but she cut in: "...And I swear if you don't get out of here right now, I'm gonna ram a stake so far up your ass; you'll be crapping splinters for a /month/!"

"Ah! You don't have a stake!"

"I'll replicate one!"

"You're upset. I get that. But it's not like I meant it! I'm just on edge - I haven't had a smoke since we got here. That's nearly two days...and I can't even kill anyone to take my mind off it...It's bloody killin' me."

The Slayer seemed to stop and consider that a moment. "You know what I like about you, Spike?"

He tried to think what it could be...

"Nothing," she said flatly, returning to her T'ai Chi. She was through talking.

Spike, sullen, turned away. "...Just wanted to say sorry is all." He left and the door slid shut behind him.

Buffy found her focus was gone. She looked back at the door. Maybe Spike still had some trace of humanity in that cold shell of a body.

"Yeah, right!"

*

When Spike got back to his room, he decided to take some aggression out on a few of the unsecured fittings. Why the hell did he want to apologies to the Slayer, anyway?

He made sure the specially fitted dark curtains were drawn properly and sat down in submission.

There was a fairly large screen he hadn't noticed before set into a wall by the couch, so he asked the computer to 'Whack some telly on'.

It surprised him when, in reply, it asked him to specify a programme and the date at which it was aired.

'A-ha!'

"Passions! From...oh, I don't friggin'-well know...November, two thousand!"

"Please specify the day."

"Just play the first one of the bloody month! Damn fussy Bint! Wouldn't have this bother if you were a man," he said to the female voice of the Enterprise.

It began the episode, but he'd already seen it, so he asked it to play the next one.

And, so, Spike ordered himself up a cup of steaming blood, a couple of slices of bread to dip, and settled down into the couch to watch the long-awaited wedding of Chad and Mary Jane.

'/Wonder if Chad's evil twin's gonna turn up and ruin the reception/,' he thought absently.

*

It was late and Ten-Forward was relatively unoccupied. Other than a pair of ensigns taking in a night-cap and a young Vulcan having a late supper, Giles and Willow were the only patrons in the lounge.

"I'm not entirely sure what our best options are here," Giles said, inspecting the PADD before them, "Every time I look at our choices it becomes all the more perplexing."

"I know," Willow agreed, studying the little screen. "I mean, what is Trixian bubble juice anyway? And who'd order Klingon bloodwine? 'Cept maybe Spike. I think we might wanna give that one a wide berth. I've seen what happens to the people who drink that stuff. Not pretty." She let her fingers flutter over her forehead. "You think they do root beer?"

Giles barely heard her. "Cardassian red leaf tea, Terran tea, Vulcan spice tea, Takana root tea. Where's the regular Tea tea?"

An elderly waiter approached their table. "Are you ready to order?"

"Um, yes, ... so many teas... Is there the possibility of getting an Earth-based tea?"

"That would be Terran tea - right there." The man said, pointing at the PADD.

"Terran tea? Ah, of course. Terran - Terra Firma - Earth. Yes, I shall have that then; preferably British."

"Okay." He entered the order onto a smaller PADD of his own and looked at Willow.

"Can I get a root beer?"

"Sure. Tea and a root beer. I'll be right back."

The waiter took the larger PADD from them and went to deal with their drinks.

Giles picked up from where he had left off: "As I said on the way here; we don't have enough information to act on at the moment. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing."

"Surely it's better than not having any information at all?"

"Absolutely not! The details surrounding the First Sorcerers' spell were never fully recorded. Without knowing the nature of the original binding, and why it worked, we could make matters worse by casting one designed for another purpose. Not that we know many spells from memory."

"I've been thinking about that," said Willow, leaning in and lowering her tone ominously, "Maybe I could try contacting the Wiccan Gods themselves. Not the measly little Gods, mind, but the big potato. The Mother Goddess. She has the power to create a spell for us."

"Willow!" Giles' expression became troubled and he too moved forward and whispered, "Accessing the Gods' Earthly power is one thing," he said sternly. "Spells exist to harness that power... but 'To disturb their eternal rest is to incur their wrath'. Let's not be hasty."

She leant back and her voice returned to a normal volume. "So, what do you suggest we do, Giles? Sit here and drink 'bubble juice' 'till the cows come home? People are dying. We have to try /something/. You said yourself that mortal man was no match for its army. Magic could be our only hope."

"Rather than do anything utterly rash and foolhardy, I suggest we get some rest and draw up a list of all possible avenues of action available to us. From that, we can all decide upon the preferred course to take."

The drinks arrived and they both sat quietly, each deep in their own thoughts. When they had finished, they handed the cups in at the bar and left for bed.

Giles went from Ten-Forward hoping he could find a less reckless and less dangerous solution.

Willow left as a determined witch with aspirations above her station.

*

Xander carefully rested his empty glass of champagne on the nightstand, rolled back to Anya and held her gently in their bed. He ran his fingers over her now fully healed arm and kissed her naked shoulder.

She was staring off into the stars out the huge and, to Xander, annoying windows.

She let out a small sigh. "You think there could be anyone out there watching us?"

"Maybe," he answered. "If they own a really big pair of binoculars."

"Xander?"

"Yeah?"

"What do you think's going to happen?"

"I dunno, Hon. I guess we'll do what we always do - find this thing's weak-spot and make it eat crow."

"What if we can't find a weakness, or there isn't one? Or there is, but we can't do anything about it?"

"We'll figure something out. That's what we do. What's with the big fret, anywho? You're not usually this freaked."

"It's nothing. I just... I wish none of this ever happened...with the box...and the evil...and all the people dying. Which is amusing in a not-very-funny kind of way, seeing as a couple of years ago I wouldn't have had any trouble granting that one. ...I just want to go back to our world."

"I know, Baby. We all do. But today someone helped me realise that we kind of have a responsibility here. We've got a Scooby-job to do before we can think about going home."

"Why? It's not our fault this evil genie's all mad and homicidal. We didn't set it loose. What exactly are we going to do? Will you bore it to death with your detailed knowledge of Babylon Five while it sucks out my soul and turns me into a hellish minion?"

"Ah, I see. A curse upon my man-ignorance. This is about what happened this morning... when that thing tried to kill you."

"You weren't there."

"I couldn't have...the others were there. Buffy was-"

"I needed /you/, Xander. I was going to die and I needed you to hold me and tell me we'd get through it and you weren't there."

"And I've always been there before."

"I could really have died. Alone."

"It wasn't that long ago you first realised what it means to be mortal. Which is a big thing to come to terms with. ...Now, maybe those fifty or so years you think you have left could end tomorrow. I guess people just take that for granted. We have our whole childhood to prepare for it. But to have the reality of that just dumped on you... I never thought about how hard it must be for you."

He held her, not sure whether he was trying to comfort her or himself.

Squeezing him tightly, Anya said: "It... it's not so bad... when you're not staring it in the face... And when you're with me it doesn't seem so frightening. Just don't leave me again, okay?"

'But you left me'..."Okay."

"Promise?"

"Cross my heart and hope to..."...'or possibly not'..."I promise."

And there he held her until the world fell away and sleep crept upon them.

*

This was not a spell. She required no locks of hair, eye of newt or tongue of toad. No fancy crystals or objects designed to make an offering or harness power... Or, at least, not that she was aware.

Willow lowered herself to the floor of her room and knelt there, lights dimmed to near blackness. She outlined a symbol around herself with a finger; so her calling would be heard on the other side. The shape she made of a semicircle flanked by a smooth line represented the Creatress in Wiccan theology, standing alone from her consort - the Horned God.

"Mother Goddess; Goddess of the Craft, hear me...

E pluribus unum

Ubicumque stes

Deus...

Deus, verbera, sed audi

Nos raptus regaliter.

Bring your knowledge upon me..."

For the briefest of moments, it seemed that nothing would happen. Then the temperature of the room rose suddenly and the air filled with a kind of static charge that penetrated her body and touched her soul.

A form came into being before her of a female figure. Standing majestic - a gown of radiant white gently drifting about her on a non-existent breeze and an aura that surrounded her like a protective bubble.

As the image became more crisp, it was clear to Willow that this figure was not making contact with the floor. Instead she hovered like an angel about a foot from it.

The face of the Goddess formed, the hair impossibly long and flowing. Her face...

It was Tara.

"Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert," Willow chanted, bowing down as far as she could, and repeated: "Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert."

The apparition spoke: 'Whom dares to summon me here?' Though her lips never moved, Tara's voice rang in Willow's mind with a clarity that defied all sound. 'Whom has the audacity to disturb my slumber?'

Willow, somewhat unnerved, put a shaky hand up and squeaked: "...me."

'You dance with the Darkness'

"I...dance? I don't dance."

'Darkness is not my concern'

"But I need your guidance. I.../we/...are lost in a world apart from our own with no means to harness your Craft, or I would not have troubled you, my Goddess." She bowed again.

'The answers you seek rest with another

You are young and naïve

Yet your soul has strength enough to bear Anima

Do not trouble me again or my wrath shall be unyielding' With that, she began to fade away.

"But..."

'DECESSIO!'

'Oops'

The Goddess' arms cast forward and a force of burning air rippled forth, lifting Willow off her feet and shoving her against the far bulkhead. She hit the wall hard, smashing a Monet reproduction and fell into a heap on the floor.

'Do not call on me again!' With a dazzling flash, she was gone.

Willow coughed with the shock of being winded so unexpectedly and brought herself up onto her knees. That wasn't quite what she'd hoped for. She wouldn't have minded so much if she had understood anything of what the Goddess had said. But, then again, at least she wasn't really hurt.

'I guess that wasn't such a good idea after all'

Willow tried to sleep that night, but the words of the Creatress echoed like distant thunder in her memory.
Sign up to rate and review this story