Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Mistake:Revised

Glimpse into the Past

by Chshre 1 review

Remus finds a surprise at Grimmauld Place and learns something new along the way.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Ginny,Harry,Hermione,Ron - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2010-06-10 - Updated: 2010-06-10 - 1731 words

5Moving
Chapter 3

Remus entered the quiet sanctum of Grimmauld Place, grimacing at the layer of dust that covered everything. He thanked his lucky stars he no longer had to live here, just stop by every once in a while to renew the charms on everything. He made his way to the kitchen intending to fix himself a cup of tea, when he heard a shuffling upstairs, instantly on alert – no one should be here right now. Creeping upstairs he followed the source of the sound to the maser bedroom. Flinging the door open, he raised his wand a stunner on his lips.

“Whoever you are, you are currently trespassing on private property step away from the dresser with your arms up,” he yelled.

The figure turned, chuckling at the ferocious sight of Remus ready to attack.

“Relax Remus, it’s just me – Harry. I just came back because I forgot some things here last time I camped out here. I didn’t realize you would be here, since you always come during the weekends. I didn’t mean to startle you,” Harry said with a rueful grin.

Remus relaxed his posture and lowered his wand to his side, the adrenaline wearing off once again as he identified his godson in the gloom of the room.

“Harry! Don’t do that, I think you just took about 10 years off my life in creeping up here. I thought someone had broken in to rob the house of what’s left of its treasures,” said Remus.

Harry shook his head before shouldering his pack, “I said I was sorry, how many times do I have to say it? Besides you’ve been getting complacent in the last few years, you need a shock every once in a while to get you back into circulation.”

Remus just shook his head before waving him on, “I was just about to make myself a cup of tea, humor your old godfather by joining him. There is a bit of news I think you should hear.”

Harry shrugged before following the older man down the stairs; he had time to kill before the portkey was scheduled to take off anyways, just to make up for the time difference. Settling his bag on a dust covered armchair, he headed towards the kitchen, where Remus was pouring the boiling water into two cups. Sitting down he waited for Remus to start.

“Harry, I know you’ve had your differences with Ron and Hermione, but leaving in secret like that? It’s not going to help you…”began Remus.

Harry snorted, “Remus, I’m tired of fighting a losing battle against my friends, my family and Hermione,” he broke off speaking to regain his composure, “Before this whole debacle began, my life was finally beginning to look up. I had a lovely wife, my best mate, and a family who cared for me. All that went up in smoke the instant Hermione saw me out with that woman. She took one look and drew her own conclusions and didn’t even hear me out. When I got home that night, she was waiting for me on the couch with a suitcase…”


“Honey, I’m home,” smile Harry as he was reminded of that old sitcom he watched many years ago. Walking through the quiet house he was struck by the sight of his wife seated on the couch with a suitcase by her feet.

“What’s going on?” he asked puzzled.

Hermione looked, no, glared at him, “You are leaving this house, I don’t care how. I never want to see you ever again,” she said calmly.

“What happened? What did I do?” asked Harry, still confused.

“Like you didn’t know, I trusted you! I trusted you when you told me in front of our friends and family that you love me and only me till the rest of our lives, and this is how you repay me?” asked Hermione with her voice slowly rising.

“I don’t understand, I do love you, with all my heart and soul. I haven’t done anything,” he proclaimed as a sudden chill clamped his heart.

“Oh stop lying, you don’t have to fool me anymore,” screamed Hermione.

Harry reached out to comfort her as tears rolled down her face, but even as he reached out she flinched and shrunk away from his touch. He jerked his hand back as though burned, never before had Hermione recoiled from his touch before.

“I’m not lying, just tell me what you think I did,” he said tentatively.

“I was in Diagon Alley today and was window shopping, when I looked inside the windows of the new café. Who should I see sitting across a beautiful woman but my very own husband, who told me himself he was going to be working late? It didn’t seem like business to me, they way you had your hand over hers and the violin playing by your table and the dozen roses lying on the table,” she said.

“Hermione, that was for you. No, actually that was my assistant; Jillian…”started Harry before he was cut off.

“Really, Harry if you’re trying to lie at least get your story straight,” remarked Hermione condescendingly.

“Hermione, listen to me. That was my assistant, Jillian; I was trying to help her figure out a way to tell her boyfriend she’s a witch. The flowers, her boyfriend sent her by courier since he’s off in the States for work. The violinist came over to the table because she thought we were a couple,” pleaded Harry.

Hermione smirked triumphantly, “See if even that violinist thought you were a couple, you must have done something to make her believe you two were together.”

“Don’t be ridiculous Hermione, I love you and Jillian loves her boyfriend. It really wasn’t anything; I’m not cheating on you. I promise,” said Harry.

Then the fireplace flashed and Ginny’s head appeared in the flames, “Hermione, have you seen the latest Prophet headline? It has Harry kissing some girl,” yelled Ginny.

That was the last straw for Hermione, she got up and threw the suitcase at Harry and shoved him towards the door. No matter what he said, she tuned him out intent on getting him out the door. With a slam of the door she locked it and drew the deadbolt, then changed the wards so Harry could no longer apparated, or floo into the apartment.


Remus said not a single word; the only sound in the house was the old grandfather clock that ticked down the seconds

“Did you talk to her after that?” he asked.

“I tried every single method possible to get into contact with her, leaving messages at work, at home, at her parent’s house. I sent her owls, I sent Dobby with messages, even regular old snail mail. I received nothing back, and the next time I saw her she was with Ron and Molly. Ron punched me in the face and Molly screamed about what a despicable person I was,” he said in a strained voice as he tried to keep his composure.

Remus reached over and placed a firm hand over his, even if no one else believed his godson, he would always stand by him.

“After the Weasley’s did an expose, a tell all into the personal life of me, painting a picture of me as a delinquent and a terrible husband to Hermione. I think something snapped in me. I went to go see Hermione, but she wouldn’t let me in. It was after the four hours I spent outside her door I realized that she was never going to believe me. She had made her own conclusions instead of listening to me or opening of the letters I sent her, she listened to everyone else. I had enough of my personal life on display, so I asked Moody for the transfer, got it approved and got everything ready. There’s nothing left for me here except bad memories, better to go somewhere else to start afresh,” Harry said.

“You’ve never tried to get your side of the story out there?” asked Remus.

Harry gave a bitter laugh, “That would be a good idea, but I didn’t want to do anything to hurt Jillian’s relationship. Besides so much of my personal life was already open to the public, I wanted to keep something for myself.”

“I understand, although I don’t agree with you running away across the pond, I understand why you felt like you had to go. Despite it all you will always have a home here with me, wherever that might be,” said Remus.

Harry stood up quickly, almost knocking over his teacup, “Thanks Remus I appreciate your understanding. There was one thing I came over here to do, you now have a vault in Gringotts that will be paid every two weeks because I’m hiring you to keep an eye on Hermione and ---”

He looked around suspiciously before running towards the entryway, yelling his goodbye to Remus. Grabbing his pack he apparated out seconds before two simultaneous pops signaled the arrival of two people.

“I’m in the kitchen,” Remus yelled out.

Two people burst in the door, “Where is he? We followed his magical trace here,” screamed Hermione.

“It’s very important that we see him right now,” yelled Ron as he followed Hermione into the kitchen.

Remus shook his head, “I’m sorry, both of you. Harry popped out seconds before the both of you arrived.”

Ron looked around before spying the tilted teacup, “He’s avoiding us isn’t he?” he asked.

“I’m not sure, but I think he has some way of figuring out when the two of you are about to catch up to him. He left rather hurriedly,” said Remus.

Hermione sank down to sit in the formerly occupied chair, stroking the teacup, she glanced at Remus and Ron but they both looked preoccupied. Quickly she sipped the cup Harry used, it wasn’t the same but she could say she indirectly kissed him. Placing the cup back in place, she pulled Ron to sit down next to her. There was no sense rushing anymore, he had slipped out of their reach.
Sign up to rate and review this story