Categories > TV > Law & Order: SVU > Control

Chapter 2

by AmyR 0 reviews

Category: Law & Order: SVU - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Elliot Stabler,Huang,John Munch,Odafin Tutuola,Olivia Benson - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2010-06-17 - Updated: 2010-06-18 - 3218 words

0Unrated

Liv

Yeah?

Meet me?

Yeah.

Olivia pulled on a sweatshirt and headed out to her stoop. She stepped out and Elliot was waiting for her with a piping hot cup of green tea. Two sugars, no cream. He silently handed it to her as she took a seat next to him. This had become a habit over the past few months. Usually if one of them couldn’t sleep they were both having problems. To pass the time and get through the night they often ended up on his stoop or hers, talking the night and the nightmares away.

“What’s up El?”

“Nothing, I was just checking on you,” he replied quietly. “After today I wanted to make sure you were okay.”

“Me?” she replied. “I’m not the one who got shot.”

“Shot because of my own stupidity,” Elliot replied looking at her in regret. “I’m sorry about…”

“Elliot, don’t,” she scolded. “It’s not a big deal and you are ok. That’s all that matters to me.”

“Yeah well I should have seen him coming,” Elliot said in a final bout of self loathing that she chose to ignore. “But we got him.”

“Yeah,” Olivia replied thoughtfully. Her heart aching as she allowed herself to relive the event. “He won’t be able to hurt anyone else.”

“Hey,” Elliot said gently as he nudged her in the shoulder with his. “You did everything you could.”

She looked away from him knowing that he was trying to be supportive. She loved him for that, but the image of the little face and how she’d failed was burned into her memory.

“Talk to me, Liv,” he said quietly into her ear. “What’s going on?”

“He clung to me,” she started, unable to keep her voice from breaking as she bit back the emotions welling in her chest. “His tiny little hand clung to me for life. He thought I was going to save him and I didn’t.”

“Liv,” Elliott replied as his chest tightened.

“I don’t know if I’m strong enough, El. I don’t know if I can handle another face in my head.”

“You’ve saved more than you’ve lost,” he replied sympathetically. “There are children living happy normal lives because of you. Don’t let the ones we lost drown the ones we saved.”

“I know, “she replied leaning against his shoulder. “It just isn’t as easy as it used to be.”

Elliot silently put his arm around her shoulder giving her a consoling squeeze. She was thankful for the hug, she felt better with his arm around her. Life was better when Elliot was around.

*

The alarm went off at 5 am and Olivia rolled herself out of bed. It wasn’t too difficult, considering she’d been lying awake since 3 am. It seemed to be a regular occurrence even if she had seen Elliot. Her eyes would open, and she would stare at the ceiling. She would try to push away the nightmares that had woken her. The sun would rise and she would give up.

She headed out the door at 6 am. In the mood for some strong coffee, Olivia stopped into the coffee house across from the House, i.e. the station. Their home away from home. She ordered coffee for two. She stepped aside and waited patiently for them to call her name.

It’d been a busy month, f collars’, and four convictions. ADA Norris was starting to get cocky, and she missed Alex. Olivia wondered what was waiting in the wings for them today. Somewhere in the back of her mind crept the darkness of her nightmares. Olivia tried to shake it off, refusing to go down that road. She’d allowed herself to do it too much lately. The darkness was stubborn and hung there until she heard her name called.

She made her way to the counter reaching for her drinks when she heard a clatter and then a smash. She turned to see a little boy in the crowd just behind her. He’d apparently knocked over a coffee cup display. The child looked terrified and Olivia quickly knelt to assist him.

“Hey, it was an accident,” Olivia said as she approached the child. “Here I’ll help you.” They made quick work of the clean up. The child’s mother appeared, and shot a scolding look at the child for the accident.

“Thanks for helping him,” the mother offered as the child cowered.

“It is fine, it was an accident really. I think I might have bumped him. “

This seemed to ease the mother’s aggravation. Olivia saw her only give him a look of warning. The pair left the cafe, and she looked for her order. She searched for her name. She found her two cups of coffee on the other side of the counter and headed out of the shop.

She walked into the squad room seeing Elliot wasn’t at his desk. She set his cup down aside his computer, and then settled into her own desk. She began sifting through the piles of paperwork and about an hour later Elliot arrived.

“Morning,” he greeted as he walked to his desk.

“Morning.”

“Blah.”

“What?”

“Cold coffee,” he replied looking at the cup in disdain.

“Sorry, I thought you would be here earlier,” she offered. “Why don’t you nuke it?”

“Nah, I’ve already had two cups this morning,” he replied tossing the coffee in the trash. “And what do you mean earlier, I told you I had to take Eli to daycare today.”

“Whoops, it’s the thought that counts right?”

“Yeah well keep thinking.”

“Good morning people,” Captain Don Cragen said as he stepped out of his office and into the bullpen. “Victim’s name is Angela Baxter. Benson & Stabler get to Mercy and get her statement. Much and Fin meet CSU on 52nd and Wake. I want status at eleven am.”

*

“Well that went well,” Elliot said as they headed down the hall away from the victims room.

“It was her bachelorette party, El. She goes out for a night of fun with her girl friends and wakes up in a scummy hotel room with no memory of what happened. That would freak anyone out.”

“Granted, but you’d think that given the situation she’d be a little more cooperative. She didn’t really give us a lot to go on.”

“What part of she doesn’t remember anything did you not get,” Olivia snapped taking Elliot aback. “I need to sign out a rape kit?”

“Name?” the nurse asked.

“Angela Baxter.”

So we have a strip joint, a list of party guests, and a hotel room?” Elliot recounted, noticing her incessant finger tapping against the counter.

“Fin and Munch are already at the hotel,” Olivia said as the nurse handed her a clip board to sign and then handed her the kit.

“So we drop the kit and start with the friends.”

Three hours later, they’d eight statements and one lead, a male stripper who was being very attentive.

“Fin interviewed the night clerk at the hotel. The bride checked in at 3 am alone,” Elliot reported before as he hung up the phone. He pulled into the parking lot of the male strip club in question. “Used her credit card. Clerk didn’t say that she was acting strange or drunk. Just walked in and rented the room. He didn’t have any complaints from other guest during the night. Nothing unusual until she called 911 to report the rape.”

“So the perp picks her up and threatens her. She rents the room under her own name. No one hears anything and then she wakes up and cries rape,” Olivia recapped with a look. “Okay either we are missing some thing or miss Baxter is crying rape to cover up a little pre marital roll in the hay.”

“I am betting on the latter. I’ll visit Melinda and see about the kit.”

“I’ll interview these guys and meet you at the House,” Olivia replied motioning to the strip club.

Elliot checked in with Melinda and the rape kit came back with little to no information. While the Vic definitely had a lot of sex, some of it perhaps being a little rough, there was no sign of vaginal bruising or tearing. Elliot called Liv with the results, and they decided to re visit the victim. Perhaps she wanted to revise her statement or give them more details about what happened.

*

“Angela, I know it must be unsettling, but can you remember anything about what happened last night?” Liv asked her with a calm sensitive tone.

Elliot was bored. He knew she was the victim and he should understand, but this was a waste of time. Unfortunately this happened. Every once in a while it was a wild goose chase.

“What do you mean,” she said nervously ringing her hands as she looked anywhere but at them.

“Angela, we’re taking your report very seriously. However we’re struggling to obtain any evidence to support your statement,” Olivia explained as Elliot began the stare down.

“I…I don’t know what else to tell you,” Angela replied as she immediately stood and turned her back on them. She was running. It was over.

“Okay Angela look…” Olivia started and then stopped.

Elliot waited for her to continue and when she didn’t he looked over to her. Her eyes glazed over and her face drained of all its color. He barely had time to react before her knees buckled from beneath her.

“Liv,” he said as he leapt to catch her before she hit the floor.

“Oh my god, is she okay?” Angela asked as she turned seeing Olivia fall.

“Liv,” Elliot said ignoring Angela.

He was on his knees cradling her limp body. His hand went to her face gently trying to bring her back. “Liv, can you hear me?”

Her eyelids began to flutter, and she looked up at him in confusion.

“El,” she said weakly, her eyes still drowsy as she struggled to focus on him.

“Hey,” he replied softly with a smile as Angela arrived with a glass of water. He took it nodding thanks. He lifted her into a sitting position and handed her the water. She took it, her hands shaking and he steadied the glass as she took a sip. “Take it slow.”

She coughed and immediately realized where she was as her cheeks flushed pink.

“What happened?” she asked as she struggled to get to her feet.

“You fainted. How are you feeling now?” He asked steadying her slight sway as she became fully upright.

“I’m so sorry,” Angela suddenly burst out.

“No, I’m sorry I don’t know…”

“No, I mean I’m sorry about all of this,” she continued as Elliot kept his position angled against Olivia, a steady hand on her back. “I… I panicked. I didn’t know what to do.”

“Angela there was no rape was there?” Olivia said evenly with no malice or judgment.

Elliot listened to the girl’s confession of panic and mistakes. He kept a watchful eye on Olivia. She seemed to have recovered. Her face had begun to regain its natural olive glow and the slight sway of lost equilibrium had stopped about half way into Angela’s confession. He thought back on the day so far. He wondered what had caused her spell. That discussion would unfortunately have to wait for another couple of minutes.

Once out in the fresh air Elliot stayed beside her as they headed to the car.

“Are you okay?” he asked as they got in. She shook her head in annoyance at herself. hated showing any kind of weakness, especially on the job so this had to be killing her.

“Besides completely mortified?” she commented. “Yeah, I’m okay. I think I’m just dehydrated.”

“We’re going to Mercy and have you checked out.”

“Elliot I’m fine, really,” she said a pleading look in her eyes. “I’m just dehydrated. All I need is a bottle of water and I’ll be good to go.”

Elliot studied her for a moment. Her once clouded eyes were now clear and bright. He nodded and put the car in gear. “Water it is.”

They got water, she drank it, and they headed back to the House. A few hours later another case came in. She showed no signs of a repeat spell, and with Olivia’s assurances, they headed out.

*

“Looks like her neck was broken,” Melinda stated, as the body was loaded on the gurney and rolled away. “From the position of the body it doesn’t look like she was moved. This is where it happened.”

“Time of death,” Elliot asked as he glanced around the area. They stood under one of the many bridges in the city. The area was usually inhabited by the homeless of New York was currently deserted. Elliot’s eyes fell on Olivia, who was also scanning the area but looked anxious, which bothered him.

“I’m going to say only about two hours, but I’ll know more when I get back to the lab,” she replied and then followed the gurney to the ME bus.

Elliot made his notes and then joined Olivia as she walked the area. “CSU’s ETA is about ten.”

“Why here?” Olivia asked no one in particular. “It’s usually pretty populated, and exposed. It seems like a blatant attempt to get caught, right?”

“There--” Elliot started, but Olivia continued without a breath.

“There had to be some kind of witness. If it wasn’t one of the locals maybe someone saw or heard something from over there,” she said seeing one of the patrolmen approaching. “I’m going to poke around. Are you going to stay and wait for CSU?”

“Liv…” Elliot began to object his mind flashing back to the Baxter house.

“Yeah?” Olivia asked turning back to him.

“Nothing, I’ll catch up later,” Elliot replied deciding to change his mind and let her go without a fight. If she said she was fine, than she’s fine.

He held her gaze, wordlessly telling her to be careful. She nodded before she walked away from him. Elliot’s stomach clenched as the space between them increased. Her pale face was stuck in his head. He knew that she hated it when he was “controlling”. His gut was screaming at him to rein her in. He could also be overreacting to the situation.

His phone buzzed.

“Stabler”

“What have we got?” Cragen asked.

“Thirty two year old victim. Name unknown. Raped and then had her neck broken. Melinda left about ten minutes ago and CSU is just arriving.”

“Witnesses?”

“None so far but we are canvassing the local neighborhood,” Elliot replied as his thoughts again went to Liv in the field with the patrolman.

“Talk to CSU and get back here.”

“Yes, sir.”

The CSU team arrived and he consulted with them briefly. He then went to track down Olivia.

Elliot turned down the street, the flashing lights of police cars lit the way. He wondered how far they’d gotten. Elliot abruptly heard the crashing of glass. In the next moment a man bolted through a yard on his left side and then across the street in front of him. Within seconds, Olivia followed behind on foot. Elliot hit the gas while calling it in for backup.

He struggled to keep the pair in sight as they weaved in and out of houses. He found a break. He turned down an alley and stopped, blocking the street. Elliot got out of the car and heard running footsteps. The suspect ran toward him and Elliot moved forward. Abruptly, the suspect saw him and turned back in Olivia’s direction. Elliot picked up the pace.

The distance between his position and theirs was too far. He couldn’t see beyond the shadows. The suspect came within sight as he attacked Olivia. She defended against the blows before she knocked him off balance. He crashed onto the street beneath him. The suspect recovered and rolled toward Elliot. He got to his feet in an attempt to run.

“Stop, police!” Olivia shouted, her gun raised.

Elliot’s gun raised also, stopping the man in his tracks. Olivia moved up behind the suspect. She handcuffed his hands behind his back while reading him his rights.

Elliot waited as he tempered is anger. She secured the suspect in the nearest squad car. She walked back to him, and he looked to her in confusion. “What the hell was that?”

“What?”

“Where was your back up?”

“Didn’t need it,” Olivia replied with a smirk, until she saw his annoyed expression. “We caught the suspect what’s your problem?”

“Nothing.”

“My back up was finishing with the previous interview. I moved on. I got lucky, he ran, I handled it!”

“You handled it.”

“It's better than standing on my hands waiting for something to happen.”

“Yeah…” Elliot replied slightly confused and thoroughly frustrated. He decided it wasn’t worth pursuing and walked to the car. Out of the corner of his eye, he watched Olivia follow and within moments, they were on the way back to the House.

Olivia was silent and Elliot’s mind buzzed. She caught the suspect. It was a good collar. He should be proud of her. He was proud of her.

He glanced at her as she sat silently. Her elbow leaned against the door, while her forehead rested in her hand. He then noticed her knee shaking, rattling up and down in a nervous anxious way.

“You need to go back to tea.”

“I know, right?” Olivia replied with a grin, while rubbing the tops of her legs. “Between that and the adrenaline I feel like I am going to jump out of my skin. What did Melinda find?”

Elliot thought back and remembered that she was standing with him when Melinda described the scene. “Vic is thirty-two, raped…”

“And then her neck was snapped…right I remember now,” she replied, her knees still shaking against the seat.

“So how did you identify the perp,” Elliot asked his thoughts swirling.

“Knocked on the door,” Olivia replied scratching her head visually trying to remember. “A woman answered. I explained who I was. Explained what happened and asked if she had noticed anything suspicious going on in the area. She…she looked nervous, anxious…and then suspect walked out of the back of the house. He was wiping his hands and she looked at him. I introduced myself and I could tell he was trying to play it cool but he spooked and ran.”

“Munch and Fin are going through the house now so we’ll see what they find.”

“You think this guy is not our perp?”

“Didn’t say that,” Elliot replied his head swimming again but before she had a chance to answer Olivia’s phone rang.

“Cap…yeah…okay we’re on our way,” she said ending the call in frustration. “So much for our perp.”

“What’s up?”

“Another victim.”

*
Sign up to rate and review this story