Categories > Movies > High School Musical > Start of Something New

Chapter 12 - The Long Goodbye - Part II

by starlightmint 2 reviews

Original title, I know.... my very first fanfic, and it's a Zanessa behind the scenes! Read and review, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Category: High School Musical - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-04-27 - Updated: 2006-04-28 - 2168 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: It's probably obvious, but I don't own any of the HSM characters or the cast or their related stuff. Also, though this story involves the names of real people, it is a complete work of fiction in terms of characterization and plot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 12 - The Long Goodbye

Part II

"...That's the way we do it, let's get to it, come on everyone!"

Bouncing on his feet, the crowd chanting and cheering behind him, Zac reached beside him for Vanessa's hands, pulling her close. He wrapped an arm quickly around her waist, the adrenalin still pumping through his body as they bobbed through the last moments of the final dance of the day. On his right, Ashley drew close and linked her arm through his, grinning excitedly. Meeting her eyes briefly, he knew what she was thinking--what they were all thinking. This feeling. I never want this to end.

"Yeah!" he cried, unable to stop the smile on his face. Looking down at Vanessa, he nodded and pulled her away, sinking deep into middle of the crowd. Suddenly Ashley and Lucas were beside them, and then Corbin and Monique, all of them dancing together in the midst of the thrumming mass of actors. He looked at Vanessa beside him and grinned, dancing nearer to her. Nessa... you're amazing.

And suddenly Kenny's voice boomed out. "Cut! And... that's a wrap!"

A huge cheer went up throughout the gym. Around them, Zac saw the flags and streamers push into the air even more vigorously. Without thinking, he suddenly swept his arms around the red dress next to him and held Vanessa tight. She grinned and threw her arms around his neck. His heart suddenly felt as though it might burst from the thrill.

Then she let go and leaned back, looking him in the eye impishly, and he breathed out the first words he could think of. "That dress looks great on you," he said.

Efron, you idiot.

But in his arms, she was smiling. "You don't look so bad yourself, Wildcat," she said, tugging at his jacket collar playfully.

And then unexpectedly, it seemed she was leaning in toward him, her lips reaching toward his... but as he closed his eyes, he felt his arms being smoothly pulled away from behind. Vanessa disappeared from in front of him, and all of a sudden, Ashley had her arms around his neck.

"We did it," he heard her whisper in his ear. "I can't believe it!"

Nessa...

He felt his stomach drop slightly, but the look on Ashley's face was too happy to be questioned. Grinning at his friend with sincerity, he put his arms around her waist and squeezed her to him. "It was amazing, Ash. This has been incredible."

"And I can't wait to hang out tonight." She looked up at him, her eyes warm but serious. "Get your bag and come meet me by Sharpay's locker after you say your goodbyes, and we can get out of here." Her voice dropped to a whisper. "I stashed my stuff there. Didn't think Sharpay would mind."

He laughed. "OK." But as Ashley turned to leave him there, Zac's eyes began to wander, trying to find Vanessa in the ebbing crowd.

---------------------------------

Lucas caught Vanessa's hand and dragged her off near the bleachers, hugging her tightly. "Oh my God," he said. "I think I'm going to cry. I can't believe I'm wrapped. This shoot has been insane."

He pretended to wail and then rocked her back and forth wildly, shifting their weight from foot to foot like they were dancing together. Vanessa laughed, hugging him closer to her. "I know, it's crazy. I'm going to miss you so much, Luke. You better keep in touch."

But Lucas simply wailed again and Vanessa, laughing, chimed in with her own mock-wail. They rocked back and forth in increasingly unsteady waves until they broke up with laughter and split apart.

"Well, we've got to do something tonight---dinner or something," said Vanessa, grinning. "Something to really celebrate before you have to go tomorrow. Something special."

Lucas lit up. "OK! Let's hit the hotel restaurant and order steaks. And no complaining. I'm leaving, I get to pick."

She shrugged, smiling. "Well... actually I'm down with that. The restaurant's actually pretty good. Then after we've finished stuffing ourselves, we can just roll into the elevators and head back upstairs."

Lucas looked pleased. "No, you know what we should do?" He pointed a finger at her. "We should hit the downtown library after dinner. It's like two blocks away from the hotel. There's this huge roof garden on top with an amazing view of the city. It's supposed to be incredible."

"Yeah, climbing up to a roof garden is just what I want to do after a steak dinner." She rolled her eyes, but he let out a guffaw and hugged her again. Then suddenly, his arms seemed to stiffen slightly. She looked up and saw he was distracted, watching someone cross the gym floor to the exit. Ashley.

Then quickly, he broke free from the hug and grinned. "Hey, listen, I'll catch up with you at the van. Tell Monique about everything if you see her. I just have to do something before we leave."

And with that, he was racing across the gym floor toward the exit.

---------------------------------

As Lucas left her, Vanessa scanned the room for Monique. No luck. Suddenly she felt a wave of sadness fall gently over her, missing Lucas and Monique already.

Everything's happening so fast.

"Hey."

Suddenly Zac was in front of her, a smile on his face. She grinned back. "Hello Efron. What's up?"

"Oh, nothing, nothing much." He grinned, but she could tell that he seemed uncertain about his movements, as though he wanted to be closer to her.

She smiled. Feeling light in her high heels, she moved one step closer toward him and cocked her head teasingly. "What are you up to later tonight? We've got plans. Lucas wants to eat steak."

"And we're just going to watch?" He raised his eyebrows.

She laughed. "No. The rest of us might eat something else off the menu at the same time. And sit at the same table. And chew and all that. Maybe even talk a little bit."

"Sounds pretty good," he said, grinning. Then suddenly, his face fell. "Oh man. I can't. Ashley wanted to hang out tonight, just the two of us. I'm sorry, Ness." He looked conflicted. "It's just her last night in town and it's what she wanted." He paused, then broke out into a smile. "But I'll see if we can catch up with you guys later. For sure."

Smiling, she put her hands on his upper arms and then kissed him on the cheek. "OK."

Nessa. That was a bit forward.

But she couldn't seem to stop smiling. He blushed red suddenly, staring at her and smiling back. "OK," he repeated, still grinning. Then he tore his eyes away from her quickly, unexpectedly shy. "I... gotta go, Ness. I'll see you later."

Her eyes trailed after him, watching him walk easily away in his white tracksuit and grab his bag from the side of the gym. Near the exit, she saw him turn and look back at her.

Hey.

She put up a hand to wave, and he seemed to nod, smiling back. Then he hit the door and was gone.

---------------------------------

Lucas had peeled after Ashley and was almost to her at the gym doors when Olesya stepped in front of him.

"Lucas!" She grinned and put her arms around him. "I can't believe you're done. It's been such a great time."

Looking up, he saw Ashley gone and Zac suddenly making an exit at the gym doors instead. /Damn/. But he turned back to Olesya with a smile, hugging her tightly. "Aww. I'm going to miss you too." He grinned. "Playmaker."

She laughed. "Yeah, I'm never gonna get rid of that one." She hugged him again. "Oh man, Lucas, I can't believe I won't see you tomorrow on set like we always do!"

Lucas grinned. "Listen... what are you doing tonight?"

He told her the plans for the evening and she nodded in agreement, hugging him again and promising to exchange e-mails by the end of the night. Then suddenly, Ryne bounded up and swept Olesya into a hug. Grinning apologetically at Lucas, Olesya turned her attention to Ryne.

Inside he shrugged. Fine by me. He waved and left the gym, starting to look around again for Ashley.

---------------------------------

Her heart lifting in her chest, Vanessa turned to see Monique suddenly coming toward her. She swept Vanessa up in a hug immediately. "Nessa! I can't believe it's all over. Lucas can't be wrapped. I just want this to go on forever."

"Oh, Mo," said Vanessa, hugging her tightly. "It won't be over if we make an effort. Listen, Lucas and I talked about going out for dinner tonight. You better come."

"Of course." Monique laughed. "Where else would I be?"

But as she told Monique the plan, Vanessa's thoughts began to turn to Zac. The sight of him turning back at the door. His arms around her waist. The look of surprise on his face when she kissed his cheek.

I kind of... want to see him again.

A smile spread on her face as she grabbed Monique's arm impulsively. "Mo---I never told Zac about the library garden. Let's find him before he leaves. Just in case they do want to come later."

And before Monique could protest, Vanessa was skittering along the gym floor in her heels, heading toward the doors.

---------------------------------

"Hey."

Down the side hallway from the gym, Ashley approached the pink locker decorated for her character, snapping Zac out of his reverie. Waiting there for five minutes, he had been staring slightly into the distance, thinking about Vanessa.

She kissed me. A small grin started on his lips. I can't wait to see her again.

But Ashley cut into his thoughts. "Sorry about the wait. Had to hit the bathroom." She flipped the locker open and pulled out a messenger bag with her things in it. "But look, I'm ready to go." She laughed. "We've just got to hit wardrobe for the costumes and we're out of here. Ready?"

She put her hands out like a jazz dancer, smiling. He laughed, turning to go. Silly girl. "Yeah, of course. Let's get going."

They were halfway down the hallway when she spoke. "Hey, Zac?"

There was an uncertain quality in her voice that he had never heard before. He turned around, and suddenly found her arms around his neck, holding him tight.

Oh, Ash. He wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Hey," he said, soothing. "This shoot has been awesome. And we're going to hang out tonight, so don't even think about getting sad right now."

She leaned back slightly, looking into his eyes. A smile twisted at the corner of her mouth. Her voice was soft. "No...I'm not sad. Actually... I'm pretty happy to be here with you. This whole shoot. Everything."

"Me too." He smiled warmly. "It's been such a good time, Ash. I'm so glad we booked it together."

"You are?" Her eyes were shining.

"Of course." He grinned, pulling her close to him. "Like I said before... you're the best."

She leaned back again and stared into his eyes, a wistful look on her face. And then suddenly, before he could react, her lips were on his, her arms winding tightly around his neck as she tried to pull him further into the kiss.

His eyes flew open. Ashley. No.

He tried to pull away, but he could see her eyes were closed, moving more deeply into the embrace. Inadvertently, his arms had tightened around her waist in shock, and struggling, he lifted his hands up to her arms, trying to unwrap them from his neck.

Sensing his movements, her eyes snapped open and she retreated slowly. "Zac?"

But over her shoulder, he could suddenly see Lucas standing there frozen, a stunned expression on his face. And beside Lucas, he saw a red dress whirl quickly, and a familiar pair of heels clicked, running rapidly away down the hall. Inside he felt like screaming.

Nessa...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: Man, you won't believe how many times I had to watch the end of the movie to get both parts of this chapter done. I felt like my head was artificially hopped up on Disney-flavoured sweetener for hours afterward. I think the magic of Disney is such that after enough exposure, you kind of want to live permanently in the dreamy alternate reality they conjure up in their sitcoms and behind-the-scenes videos and things. Together, together, together, everyone...

Oh, and yeah, you guys. You didn't think it would be that easy to get these two together, did you? Sillies :) Now hold on to your hats... we're coming to the end of the story in a few more installments...
Sign up to rate and review this story