Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Serpent Souls, Merged as One

Chapter One: A New Legacy Dawns

by quilla04 8 reviews

Harry is ten years old and has no knowledge of the Wizarding World. What will happen, then, when he starts dreaming of a black-haired girl with azure eyes?

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy,Humor,Romance - Characters: Harry,Hermione - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2010-07-20 - Updated: 2010-07-31 - 2767 words

5Original
Disclaimer: I own nothing related to the Harry Potter universe. Nothing. Nope, zip, nada. If I did, I wouldn’t be writing this however, so maybe it’s good I don’t. Anyway, it all belongs to J.K. Rowling.

Chapter One: A New Legacy Dawns

(A/N: Hey all, Leonineus here! I just want to say that this is a little idea that bit my behind while I was trawling through Harry Potter/Daphne Greengrass fics on FanFiction.Net. I noticed that while there are a very large number of soul bond fics, and more than a few HarryxDaphne fics, no-one seems to have thought to combine the two yet. This is my take on the idea. Enjoy!)

While Harry Potter lay asleep in his bed in #4 Privet Drive, he neither had nor could have any idea that fate was about to swoop down on him and turn his life upside down.

It began with a dream drifting to the forefront of his mind; a dream of a dark-haired girl with azure eyes. The girl was smiling at Harry with a kindness that made his heart ache with longing where he lay in his cupboard. He had never known anyone to look upon him with this level of kindness and love; never known anyone to care for him as this girl seemed to be promising to with just her beautiful azure eyes. Unbeknownst to Harry, a single tear trickled down his face from one lidded emerald eye.

Harry’s dream lingered for a while before evaporating, and that was when it all began to happen. Harry suddenly sat bolt upright, narrowly missing cracking his head on the low ceiling of the cupboard. He could feel the measly dinner he had been served starting to rise. He pushed hopelessly against the locked cupboard door, which was as usual locked. He pushed harder and harder, his panic rising along with his bile, until there was a sudden glow and suddenly the door sprang open. Harry didn’t care for what had just happened at that moment; he simply bolted up the stairs to the bathroom as quietly as he could. Shutting the bathroom door, he bent over the toilet bowl and threw up. He stared there over the toilet for a long time, before finally he coughed twice and straightened up. His limbs were shuddering and he had to brace himself against the edge of the sink. As soon as he was able, he flushed the toilet and staggered back downstairs. He quietly closed the door of his cupboard and lay down, quickly falling back into his dreams of the girl with azure eyes.

Elizabeth Greengrass was woken in the middle of the night by a loud sound. She opened her eyes and listened. She could hear somebody running along the corridor outside her rooms. She climbed out of bed and walked towards the bedroom door. Opening it, she looked out just in time to see the bathroom door along the hall close. A second later, she heard somebody vomiting. Padding quickly along the corridor, she opened the bathroom door and saw her young ten-year-old daughter Daphne bent over the toilet throwing up. She walked slowly to her daughter and laid a hand on her back. Daphne looked up, her face pale. As sickly as she appeared, the paleness actually set off her eyes somewhat. “Are you alright, Daphne?” asked Elizabeth concernedly.

Daphne looked up at her mother with her eyes full of tears, “I had a dream. I saw a boy with messy black hair and emerald green eyes. I woke up with an odd feeling in my heart, and then I started feeling sick.”

Elizabeth looked at her daughter for a minute, before taking a seat beside her daughter and comforting her as she turned back to the toilet bowl. As she patted her daughter’s back, Elizabeth considered her options. The next day, she would look in the family library for any mention of this curious instance. A great-aunt on her mother’s side had been a Seer, and Elizabeth seemed to have partially inherited the gift. She could see, though she could not tell what made it, some kind of great happiness in her daughter’s future. She also saw death and pain however, but it was muted by the light and happiness. She promised herself there and then that she would help her daughter no matter what happened.

For both Harry and Daphne, the next two weeks passed in very different ways. Each suffered from random bouts of extreme nausea, sometimes in very inconvenient locations. Harry was frequently beaten by the Dursleys because he could not stop throwing up.

Daphne, on the other hand, was looked at by Elizabeth’s younger sister Melissa, whom was the Greengrass family’s private Healer. She told them that Daphne appeared to be suffering withdrawal from something. At the expressions on her parents’ faces, Melissa explained that it wasn’t an addiction withdrawal per se; it was more of a withdrawal from a specific person. By this, she explained, she meant that Daphne was starting to manifest the initial signs of a forming soul bond. That, understandably, shocked both Elizabeth and her husband Christopher.

Harry lay in his cupboard bruised and beaten. He was miserable, besides the dreams were still happening. He still didn’t know the girl’s name. He was still throwing up, and still unable to stop it. Suddenly, he felt the sudden stomach contraction that heralded another bout of nausea. He gagged, doubled over and threw up. A second later, he heard thundering footfalls, then the door of the cupboard was wrenched open. Harry was seized by the back of his shirt and dragged out. His last conscious thought before he passed into unconsciousness was of the girl with azure eyes, and he thought, “Help me…”

Vernon Dursley was just beginning to kick his nephew when there was a flash of light and the boy disappeared. His kick continued unhindered and he tumbled over backwards with a thunderous crash, “PETUNIA!!!” he roared, unable to stand up.

Christopher and Elizabeth Greengrass had just put Daphne to bed and were having a quiet conversation with Melissa when there was a blinding flash from upstairs. All three sprinted upstairs to find Daphne’s door blasted off its hinges and lying on the floor. Smoke was curling out of the opening. All three looked inside. Daphne lay on the bed, which was evidently the epicentre of the explosion. She looked happy and contented, for some reason. That was startling to the other three, whom had seen nothing but extreme sadness and grief on her face for the past two weeks. They slowly moved towards the bed. At that moment, Daphne rolled over, revealing another figure at her side; a boy, with black hair and emerald green eyes.

“Unbelievable!” gasped Christopher, “My daughter is soul bonded to the Boy-Who-Lived!”

The boy woke up, saw them all standing in the doorway, and instantly freaked out. He vaulted off the bed and shot into a corner, where he cowered with his arms over his head. “Whoa… what’s his problem?” said Christopher curiously.

Melissa suddenly grabbed Christopher’s arm and pointed at the small boy’s arms. It was painfully obvious that he was underfed; his arms were too skinny for a boy of the same age as Daphne. The skin was also mottled with bruises, cuts, welts, and any manner of other wounds.

The boy gazed up at them with his eyes full of utter terror. “Get away!” he whimpered, “I’m sorry! I-it won’t happen again, I’m sorry!”

Christopher went to take a step forwards, but Elizabeth laid a hand on his arm and stepped forward herself. She crouched down and gazed at the boy, holding out a hand. He peered through his arms towards her. After a pause, he lowered his arms and shifted over onto his knees. Slowly, carefully, he shuffled forwards towards Elizabeth. She smiled comfortingly at him as he came forward. Harry tentatively put out his hand towards Elizabeth’s, but suddenly his eyes rolled up into his head and he fell against Elizabeth. When she looked down at him, she found that he had fallen asleep. Smiling, she lifted him in her arms, and laid him beside Daphne on the bed. The two ten-year-olds immediately moved together and hugged unconsciously. The three adults smiled at them for a moment, repaired the room as quietly as they could, and left, closing the door silently behind them.

Harry woke up to find a curtain of black hair in front of his eyes. Shifting slightly, he rolled away from the girl. It felt as though half of his mind was still fast asleep, at least it did until it seemed to start waking up. He suddenly became aware of someone else’s mind, brushing against his own. The mystery person rolled over to face him, revealing a girl’s face with fair skin and azure eyes. Harry instantly recognized her as the girl in his dream, though he still could not name her.

Daphne gazed in shock at her unknown companion. She was shocked that there was a boy in her bed, but no more shocked than she was at his unmistakeable familiarity to her. He was, without a doubt, the boy she had dreamed of for the past fortnight. What was more, her eyes were drawn to a mark on the boy’s forehead. A scar in the shape of a lightning bolt. “Unbelievable…” she murmured, “I’ve been dreaming of the Boy-Who-Lived…”

The boy eyed her warily, “What’s your name?”

Daphne cocked her head to one side, “Daphne Greengrass. And you are Harry Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived, correct?”

Harry nodded, “Yes, except the Boy-Who-Lived bit. I don’t know what you mean there.”

Daphne stared at him. Evidently she found true confusion in his eyes because her jaw dropped. “You really don’t know why you are called the Boy-Who-Lived?”

Harry shook his head in bewilderment, “No. I didn’t even know anyone called me that!”

Daphne blinked her azure eyes at him for a moment, before grabbing his hand and pulling him off the bed and out of the room.

Elizabeth, Melissa and Christopher were having a peaceful conversation in the dining room when the door from the hall opened and Daphne came in, pulling Harry behind her. He shied away when he saw the three adults, but Daphne tugged gently on his arm to comfort him and pulled him forwards.

“What is it, Daphne?” asked Elizabeth.

Daphne looked up at her mother, “Mummy, could you tell me and Harry the story of the Boy-Who-Lived? He says he doesn’t know it.”

Christopher stared at Harry and Daphne, whom still stood hand-in-hand before them, before taking a deep breath. “Very well,” he said, “I’d better start from the beginning.”

Over the next hour and a half, Christopher explained the story of the Boy-Who-Lived to Harry and Daphne, making sure to explain the concept of magic and wizardry as well for Harry’s benefit. Finally, Harry sat back and stared at Daphne’s father. “Let me get this straight. I’m famous because some evil wizard used a spell on me that didn’t do what it should have done, but rebounded and did to him what it should have done to me?” At Christopher’s nod, he gave a sigh and ran his hand through his hair as Daphne took his other hand.

Daphne didn’t know why; but she had some overwhelming urge to stay close to Harry and maintain skin contact as much as possible.

Christopher smiled sadly at the boy for a second where he sat, stricken, on his chair, then he got up. “Well, I’d better be going. I have paperwork to file at the Ministry.”

Elizabeth looked up, “What paperwork?”

Christopher took his wife’s arm and led her out of the dining room. Melissa followed. “If Harry and Daphne are soul bonded, they have to be kept together at all times. The easiest way for us to do that is to adopt him; it’s easiest. Also, by his injuries that we saw last night, I think whoever he stays with abuse him. He’s safer here than he is with them; wouldn’t you agree?”

Elizabeth nodded, looking through to the dining room where Harry and Daphne were talking quietly. “You know…” she said pensively, “They say that soul bonds give those they bind special powers. I wonder what theirs will be…”

Melissa gazed through the door at Daphne and Harry, whom were laughing at some joke or other. “Should we tell them? They’re bound to find out eventually and personally I’d rather make sure they do know what’s going on as soon as I can.”

Elizabeth nodded, “Ok. You and I can tell them in a little while. Dear, shouldn’t you be going? The sooner Harry is adopted, the better.”

Christopher nodded and left the room.

Meanwhile, Harry and Daphne had realized something. They could sense each other’s thoughts. The resulting conversation became rather interesting for both of them.

“So we can speak into each other’s minds?”
“Seems like it. I wonder why…?”
“Well, earlier I felt like my head was half asleep while you were still asleep. That could be a part of it.”
“Maybe. What else did you feel?”
“Well… some feeling for you. I can’t describe it…”
“Nor can I… we’ll ask my daddy. He’ll know what it is. My daddy knows everything.”


They were interrupted by Elizabeth and Melissa, whom walked back into the room at that moment. “Daphne, Harry, we have good news. We are going to adopt Harry. Also, we need you to listen for a minute.”

Both children sat up, looking attentive. Or as attentive as two ten-year-olds that, though they did not know it yet, are deeply in love with each other; can be.

“Ok, Harry, Daphne, I will need you to concentrate. You two have something known as a soul bond. You might be a little too young for us to be telling you this, but a soul bond is something like a match made in heaven. You two will be able to speak into each other’s minds; you’ll be more powerful together than apart…”

Harry tilted his head to one side, surveying the two women before him. “So me and Daphne are… bonded, yes?”

At Elizabeth’s nod, he gave a gap-toothed grin and said, “And you guys are really going to adopt me???”

Elizabeth nodded and smiled, “Yes. Come this evening, you’ll be as good as our son.”

Harry smiled again, “Well, you’ll be a lot better than my relatives. They…” His smile faded and he looked troubled.

Daphne glanced sideways at him and, apparently realizing that her bondmate was unhappy, took his hand. Harry smiled weakly at her.

Harry started when Melissa moved towards him and rolled up his sleeves. As his forearms were bared, Elizabeth gasped and Daphne gave a soft sob.

Harry’s arms were blackened and covered in angry reddish welts. Melissa shifted the shirt upwards over his head and pulled it off. The bruising continued up Harry’s upper arms and covered his entire chest and back. Daphne was now shaking with barely-controllable anger at the treatment her bonded had undergone in his relatives’ house. Though she was too young to understand the full reality of Harry’s recent plight, the bond was making her protective of her bonded.

Harry stared at his feet in shame, and all three Greengrass females were immediately distressed at the sight of tears in his eyes.

In her heart, Elizabeth Greengrass silently swore to make these brutes pay for the damage they had wreaked on Harry Potter. It would undoubtedly take a long time to undo the damage, but by the time they managed it, Harry would be much better off.

(A/N: Well I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I know I enjoyed writing it. By the way, TCML is officially at a standstill because my Muse for that story is M.I.A. It’s very annoying, I know, but my Muse is fickle and I can only wait until she returns. Sorry for all of you who are fans of TCML, but I have to oblige my Muse, and when she gets uppity at me, there’s nothing I can do about it.)
Sign up to rate and review this story