Categories > Anime/Manga > Gundam Wing > Darkening of the Light

six

by Sybil_Rowan 0 reviews

Category: Gundam Wing - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Trowa - Warnings: [R] - Published: 2010-09-04 - Updated: 2010-09-05 - 3244 words - Complete

0Unrated
Part 6

“I had no idea,” Lady Une said, looking across her desk at detective Kazanski while the ‘Chinese delivery’ girl flitted around her office.

“He clearly has designs on you,” Kulfe said.

She poured herself a drink and steadied her hand. She had seen Cathrine when the Japanese friend of Trowa’s had brought her in with the pair of Alliance detectives. It had stunned her even worse when Wing Li told her that her top aide had done this to get rid of Trowa out of jealousy.

“We would like to know if you would be willing to help us catch Mister Nikol. We believe he won’t just up and leave you or Miss Bloom alone. Since Miss Bloom is safe, we believe he will try for you next,” Li said, playing with a book on the corner of Lady Une's desk.

“Of coarse. Anything to catch him. What do you need me to do?”

“Where would he hide?” Wing asked.

“He might go to Kiev. He’s from there. He has a few relatives. I’ve had Duavaulle get you the key to his personal locker.” She slid the key towards the man who covered it with his massive, wrinkled hand.

“Good. Stay hidden for three days and call us,” he said, rising and turning towards the door.

“We recommend you stay out in the country and not let anyone know,” the girl said, walking towards her partner’s retreating figure. She almost bumped into a handsome man in a gray, silk suit at the door. “So sorry, Sir. May we inquire who you are?”

“I’m Treize Khushrenada, Miss. Who do I having the pleasure of speaking to?”

“Wing Li. A detective for the Earth Sphere Alliance. One of the men under Colonel Une’s Command is being charged with several things. The Bloom disappearance?” Treize nodded. “Oh! Good. I’ll let her fill you in on the rest. Please be cautious alongside the Lady, because we haven’t caught Nikol yet. He did make a mention in his journal about you as well.”

“Miss Wing,” a low bellow from the hallway brought a giggle from the girl.

“I’m coming, Mister Kazanski,” she called back. “Good night. Please call if you see him.” She trotted towards the door. “A new thought, Mister Kazanski! We should book a flight...”

Treize shut the door and turned to Lady Une. He walked towards the window as she prepared him a drink. She shook so hard, now, it was spilling over the rim. He scowled at the clumsy gesture and took the drink without glancing at her face.

“I don’t need to tell you how disappointed I am with your Command lately.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Those mobile suits cost more than money. Their destruction also demoralizes your troops. I need to know that this won’t happen at this strategic base again.”

“Nikol will be found. I promise,” she said, coming to stiff attention. She knew in her heart what was going to happen next. She couldn’t blame him.

“When the news comes out tomorrow that Miss Bloom was found in his basement how do you think people will perceive OZ? Do you think that it will reflect well on you that a perverted stalker was right at your elbow and you couldn’t ferret him out?”

“It will look like incompetence in the highest form,” she answered.

“I’m glad you agree. As of now, you are relieved of your command. Zechs will be here within the hour. Pack your things for the Moccadeju fortress. You now are in charge of overseeing the Noventa cannon reconstruction. Miss Noin’s students made quite a mess down there. Africa is beautiful in this season. Maybe you’ll reflect on the importance of choosing your subordinates with more care. I know I will.” Treize turned to leave, putting his drained glass on the table. “Your last orders are to send Miss Bloom six dozen roses from my personal garden with this.” Treize tossed an envelope on the desk. It had the Lion’s head logo. “It’s a personal apology from me on behalf of OZ. Pick one man to take with you to Africa and report to the maintenance detail by the start of next week.”

She melted into her chair the minute he left and the door clicked shut. Tears fell from her eyes as she put her head on her desk.

Lady Une had failed him. The one who she loved most in this world had cast her away from him because she was blind. Why hadn’t she seen Nikol for what he was! This time she would choose someone Treize could be proud of. Someone who could be devoted to OZ: Trowa Barton.

*

“Thank you, Colonel Une,” Cathrine said, pushing her over-sized sunglasses up on her nose. “I’ve never see so many roses. The note was very nice too.” Lady Une was glad to see the girl was sitting up in her hospital bed this morning. She looked over to where Trowa lay on his own bed. “I don’t know what to say.”

“Mister Treize has taken a personal interest in this matter,” Lady Une said, watching Trowa put aside his book. “I’ve been reassigned to Moccadeju to rebuild the Noventa cannon.” Trowa shook his head and looked away.

“What does that mean?” Cathrine asked, worrying if Trowa would have to go all the way to Africa.

“Lady Une is a mobile suit pilot and not in maintenance. Mister Treize was mad enough to punish her with one of the worst assignments,” Trowa explained. “I’m sorry to hear that.”

“I was wondering about you coming with me as my attaché. Mister Treize doesn’t forgive things easily, so I need someone outstanding on my staff. Please consider it.”

“I was going to ask if I could take a leave of absence for Cathy,” Trowa said. “I can’t go to Moccadeju right away, but I could join you in a couple of weeks.” Lady Une nodded and breathed out a sigh of relief.

“Thank you, Trowa. It means the world to me. Good day, Miss Bloom.” After Lady Une left he turned to see Cathy scowl at him.

“What?” Trowa asked.

“Why don’t you quit? The longer you play spy games, the more dangerous it becomes. She’ll find you out,” Cathrine whispered.

“I’m needed. Besides, the Noventa cannon? There is no need to reconstruct that base. If three mobile suits wiped it out, it’s useless. Why bother sinking money into something that weak? Not just to punish the Colonel, I’m sure,” Trowa mused more to himself then to Cathrine.

“Who cares? You know if you weren’t so close to all this mess maybe things wouldn’t happen,” Cathrine hissed out viciously. “Instead you just invited all these terrible things. You’re so stingy and I hate that about you.”

“Stingy? How is it that I’m stingy? I’m sorry. I do take the blame for what happened, but if I don’t continue to neutralize Lady Une the colonies could come under Romefeller control. My job is to see that it doesn’t happen. Millions of lives are at stake....”

“Cram it, Trowa! You’re just making excuses to facilitate your death wish, and you still don’t give a damn about anyone who might get hurt!” she yelled at him.

“Cathrine, I never asked you to insert yourself into my life! You just did, even though you knew what I was and what could come with it,” Trowa said. He watched her face fall from tight and angry to hurt. The implication of what he had said came ringing back into his ears as he bit his bottom lip in regret. “I didn’t mean it. I’m so sorry. It wasn’t your fault at all. I didn’t mean it, I swear. Please forgive me.” She nodded and lay in her bed with her back to him; he then said, “I do want you in my life. You cheer me up a lot and I need that. Let me return the favor and take care of you for a little while.”

“Thanks, Trowa. I didn’t mean to accuse you of causing this either. Just... I’ve never been so mad in my life and it comes spilling out all over,” she said softly. “I just want that bastard dead because I’m frightened he’ll come and punish me for escaping. He used to shock me if I didn’t do as he told. It hurt so bad and I couldn’t make him stop so it frustrated me.”

“I know how you feel, Cathy,” Trowa said, laying back. “Lets take a nap before lunch. It’s not often we get this kind of luxurious treatment.”

“What if I can’t sleep without dreaming about it?”

“You’ll always dream about. That’s going to be the bad part. Coming to terms and restructuring your life,” Trowa said, pulling his blankets up. She turned around to face him again.

“How do you know?” she asked. He turned his back on her this time.

“Try to relax. Okay?” He listened to her settle in as he repressed his own dark memories. “I know exactly how you feel, Cathy,” he whispered into his stiff pillow.

*

Where was his Lady Une-Deity going? Nikol was in the airport watching Lady Une. He pulled his fedora low and watched her board the plane to Cairo, Egypt. There was only a layover there. He figured she must be headed for Moccadeju or New Heaven’s Port.

Surely she hadn’t been banished to Moccadeju! It was probably New Heaven’s Port, where a mobile suit base was. At least that dreaded Barton-warlock wasn’t with her. He had read the papers to find out Barton had survived.

He would just have to abandon his business here in Prague with Cathrine-angel. Naughty girl. One day she would pay dearly for her choice to defy him. He wanted to tie her and Trowa down and screw her raw. Afterwards, he would chop Trowa up into small pieces and force her to watch. Then he would have to punish her further until she apologized.

Yes! He would do it! Then afterwards he would go to his Lady Une-goddess and finally be worthy enough to possess her. The idea of touching Lady Une made him shiver. He picked up the newspaper and turned to the metro section. The circus was staying for two additional weeks. It would resume shows in three days. He chuckled to himself as he watched his goddess’s plane take off.

“Soon,” he said smiling.

*

Trowa removed the macaroni and cheese pie from the oven and smiled at his triumph. He removed the Jell-O from the refrigerator and made three plates. Heero came out from the small bedroom and sniffed the food with a wrinkled nose.

“You are the most pathetic cook I’ve ever seen. Your food makes Quatre’s edible.”

“I’ve worked very had. It’s better than yesterday. We won’t have to throw it to the lions.”

“Lucky animals,” Heero quipped to get a mock glare from Trowa. “I’ll have to leave. Quatre needs backup. I figured you would want to stay with Cathy, so I’ll go.” Trowa stared down at the food with a frown for several long minutes before putting up one of the plates.

“I'll be working the other side of the Moccadeju mission. In two weeks I'll be able to pass you reconnaissance,” Trowa said.

“I hope we can destroy it before then,” Heero said, putting on his black duster.

“Good luck, but Lady Une is going to be very hard to beat now that she has to work on impressing Mister Treize again,” Trowa said. Heero nodded and left the trailer. Trowa went over to the small window. He watched Heero get in his semi with a covered Wing Zero on the back as the sun was setting low. He pulled off towards the South.

He quickly prepared two plates and walked them into the back bedroom where Cathy was shuffling her tarot cards on her bed. She raised her eyebrow at his cooking attempt and poked at the macaroni with her fork.

“You’re getting better. Heero asked me to read his tarot cards of all the strange things. He’s in love with some girl who hates him while another girl he despises is imprisoning him,” Cathrine said. Trowa’s eyes grew wide, which got Cathrine to giggle. “Was I right?”

“That’s spooky. Yes he is.”

“I told you! The cards never lie. When are you going to let me do a reading for you?”

“Cut it out, Cathy. I don’t buy that stuff,” Trowa said from the foot of her bed and started to pick at his food. “What else did it say?”

“You big fat liar! It said that he’s destined to be alone. His primary card was the Hanged Man, which means he’s always going have to sacrifice himself for others,” Cathy said solemnly. “I got some real insight into Heero. He’s really a great kid. I can’t believe all he did for us.”

“He’s really kind underneath it all. He’s pitiful in a way,” Trowa said, putting aside the nasty food.

“Are you going to Africa?” she asked softly, looking down at her plate. Trowa nodded. “I’m so afraid. What if they don’t catch him by then?”

“Wufei offered to travel alongside the circus for the next month, because his assignments follow about the same route. After that I should visit you for a while, and then, hopefully, Quatre will be freed up by the time the circus heads for Jerusalem. I’m planning it all out so that you won’t be alone until that maniac is caught,” Trowa said, getting up and stretching. “Why not get some rest?”

“All I’ve been doing is resting. Let’s go for a walk,” Cathrine pleaded.

Trowa got her robe and slippers and helped her into them. He took the safety off his gun and tucked it in the waistband of his jeans. They left arm in arm. She slowly made her way with him around the empty fairway that only had one of two people servicing the rides and tending the animals.

“I want to get back to things as soon as possible, Trowa. Every minute I sit around makes me crazy. I’m afraid I might have gotten rusty.”

“I bet you're fine,” Trowa stopped her. “See that poster over there with us on it?” She squinted into the distance as Trowa pulled his gun and handed it over to her. “Go for it.” Cathrine nodded and took the gun.

She took careful aim and fired, nailing Trowa’s likeness in the head. She gasped and tried to run off. She stumbled and fell to her knees on the hay covered mud. Trowa knelt beside her and put an arm around her shoulder.

“You just need to practice a little. I have every faith in you. Come on. It’s getting cold,” he said, helping her up.

“Everything is ruined because of that bastard. I want my life back,” she sobbed, leaning against him.

“It’s hard to put something like this behind you, but believe me you have to continue to fight for your life, even though it feels as though he’s destroyed it all. You can do it.” Trowa opened their trailer door and helped her out of her robe. “Would you like to talk to someone about it? A professional? Mister Treize sent you a considerable sum of money for it, along with extending my OZ benefits.”

“No! I just want to forget it ever happened. How can I when all I would be doing is talking about it?”

“You’ll regret it. Keeping it bottled inside is worse. I wish I hadn’t of...,” Trowa bit his lip suddenly and turned to the kitchen. He started to make a protracted ordeal out of the dishes. He felt her hand on his elbow. He turned to look down into her gray eyes.

“What happened to make you this way?” He jerked his hands from the scalding water suddenly and slapped the water off. He held his burnt hands to his stomach and backed away from her. She made an ice pack out of a kitchen towel and sat on the floor where Trowa had sunk into a corner.

“If I tell you, you won’t feel safe with me any longer. You need me to be strong for you,” Trowa said, letting her cool his reddened flesh.

“I need you to be strong enough to tell me so that I know that I’m not alone and that I can live through this just like you.” They only sound was the distant animal noises and a calliope playing softly.

“It was when Heavyarms was being built. I wasn’t the real pilot for the Gundam. A man by the name of Trowa Barton was. I only took his name because I don’t remember my own. You told me it was Triton Bloom, but I just can't remember it. Anyway... I felt something wasn’t quite right about the man so I stayed away from him as much as I could. It wasn't long before he started following me around. Things got out of hand with him.”

“What did you do?” Catharine asked.

“What could I do? I was indentured to Doctor S so I couldn’t run away. I tried to avoid him, but he was everywhere. He kept trying to convince me it was my fault for leading him on. I took on his name so I wouldn't forget to be leery of people,” Trowa finished and got up on shaky legs.

“I’m so sorry, Trowa. Thank you for telling me. I need your support right now,” Cathrine said. “You can send back all that money, by the way. I want nothing from OZ.” Her eyes looked up directly at him with a vengeful hate. “I hope you do go to Africa and destroy OZ little by little. How dare they buy me off.”

“OZ will be gone even if I have to die doing it,” Trowa said, hugging her battered body to him gently. He put Cathy to bed and finished cleaning up the trailer, in spite of his stiff, burnt skin. As he settled into his own bed, he realized his own soul felt lighter after releasing that terrible burden. It was nice to have a sister. He wished she still couldn’t understand him, though.


*

“I'll call you once I get there,” Trowa promised, settling into the jeep Wufei had driven.

“Good, please call all the time, Okay?” Cathrine asked. Trowa nodded. “Goodbye.”

“Goodbye,” Trowa said.

He turned over the engine and took off in the early dawn light. He cast a look in the rear-view mirror at Cathrine. She had a determined expression that inspired confidence in Trowa. It didn't alleviate his worry for her, but it gave him hope for her recovery. He looked away and concentrated on the road ahead as guilt started to nag at him.

End.
Sign up to rate and review this story