Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > Deaf Heaven

Deaf Heaven

by chem_x 1 review

After a car-crash Jared is left to heal in the hospital and for nine days a girl comes to read Shakespeare to him, a story about finding love when the world seems dark and empty.

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2010-09-04 - Updated: 2010-09-04 - 1544 words - Complete

1Moving
Disclaimer:
This story contains the work of William Shakespeare and 30 Seconds to Mars. I wish I owned them but I don't. Any other characters than Jared and Shannon Leto and Tomo Milicevic are of my own creation... Also there's swearing and I'm considering making it a more mature story!

My first longer story to be put up, this first piece here is just a (badly-written) prologue to get you in the jist of things, it will be followed by much longer parts that I put more time into!
Hope you enjoy it!
Ratings and Reviews are wildly loved :D :D



Shannon’s Point of View

Day One:
Jared can’t speak because the accident but he’s awake, I’m sitting with him. He looks tense and sore. I can almost see his pulse where the glass hit his face but the doctor said he should be fine, i just hope that I can trust this boring mans diagnosis. My brother had a hard time.
He doesn’t like the food here, you can see it in his eyes, the doctor said he should be starting to regain memories and speech within a few weeks, apparently that car knocked them all out of his head briefly but they'll come back. He promised me that they'll come back.

Her Point of View

Day Three:
I think he recognised me, I think he knew who I was, but I couldn’t be sure! The nurse said that it would be a while before we could hold conversations or even hold hands, she thinks I'm his girlfriend! I wish...
His whole body is beaten and purple from the accident. I can't help but blame myself.
I read him some Shakespeare sonnets today- my obsession even now! I don’t know if he was interested but it stopped me from crying my eyes out over his bedside. I don’t think he’ll ever remember. He looks at me with the emptiest eyes I’ve ever seen.
Fans are being allowed in to see him, part of the 30 Seconds to Mars campaign for safer driving, donate enough or run events and you get to put a card by his beside. I feel uncomfortable when they walk in bawling their eyes out; it’s embarrassing that I used to be exactly like them before the night of his crash.
It’s hard to be here when Tomo and Shannon aren’t, the only signal is the cheers you get from outside but that’s it, after that you just look at the floor and disappear, they’d think I’m some freak… I’m just in love.


Shannon’s Point of View

Day Seven:
Jared spoke! It was strange though; he kept looking at the door, and wheezing out words. I don’t mind though, he’s my brother and he’s finally getting better!
The nurses keep asking me how Jared’s girlfriend is, telling me she looked tired and worn, she's been in with him as often as possible! Ha! How come I've never seen her?
Which bloody fan is messing with their heads?! Just hope they don’t mess up him getting ready to come home!
Tomo is here with me this time, showing Jared his new guitar solo and hoping that it sinks in; so far he just about knows who we are! We aren't aiming on making him the lead singer again yet, we just want him to be himself again.
The food here keeps getting worse and worse- todays smelt like a roasted boot! I swear if the nurses weren’t so sweet I would throw a fight at them!

Her Point of View

Day Nine:
It was my last day to visit, a visit everyday so far was too much. I was in tears, he kept wheezing at me and sighing dramatically. A nurse came in and sat with me as I said my good-bye to him, I was in over my head, and I had to get out, he would never even remember who I was.
Jared had grown more responsive, not saying much but he knew when you were there. I read him one last piece of Shakespeare before I went to leave, sonnet twenty-nine, my favourite one.
“When in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featur’d like him, like him with friends possess’d,
Desiring this man’s art, and that man’s scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee,—and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven’s gate;
For thy sweet love remember’d such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.”
I kissed his forehead as he lay on the pillow, leaving my sonnet book beside his bed, he was asleep now. Resting, healing, becoming himself again.


Shannon’s Point of View

Day Nine:
I found a Shakespeare book left on Jared’s side-table; it had a nice bookmark and a dark little flower drawn in the corner of the page. I began to read some of it to Jared, it helped both of us. I could see when he looked down that something was wrong but I couldn’t be sure. He didn’t speak today, he only looked at the doorway over and over again.

Day Eleven:
Still nothing, Tomo’s been encouraging him as much as he could. He even put on Jared’s favourite jam but he’s still looking depressed. I don’t know what the fans did to him but I won’t let anymore in! His room was showered in cards and flowers! A nice rainbow of colours but it looked too much for my battered and beaten brother.

Day Twenty-Five:
Things are looking positive, the doctors are certain that the memories and speech will come soon! We’d be pushing our luck if we asked for anymore than that! I’m so happy! Jared doesn't look as pleased though, I think he's just pissed off that he's still in the hospital attached to a power supply!

Day Thirty-One:
Sonnet eight-
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy:
Why lov'st thou that which thou receiv'st not gladly,
Or else receiv'st with pleasure thine annoy?
If the true concord of well-tuned sounds,
By unions married, do offend thine ear,
They do but sweetly chide thee, who confounds
In singleness the parts that thou shouldst bear.
Mark how one string, sweet husband to another,
Strikes each in each by mutual ordering;
Resembling sire and child and happy mother,
Who, all in one, one pleasing note do sing:
Whose speechless song being many, seeming one,
Sings this to thee: 'Thou single wilt prove none.'

Why the hell haven’t I read this before? That stuff is b-e-a-utiful!
Jared is finally looking a little more upbeat, I’m going to keep reading this stuff to him; it makes me feel better never mind him! The nurses are asking how Jared’s girlfriend has been. They say that Jared light up every time she went to visit. But that was a few weeks ago. Maybe that’s why he’s so depressed? I can't be sure though, he never mentioned a girl to me.

Day Forty-Three:
I held Jared’s shoulders tightly as he pulled himself across the floor, he hadn’t walked since the accident, he was talking more but not as much as he used to. He was stiff and weak, thin as hell too! I'm considering sneaking him in some Chinese food for him.
The doctor told him he’ll never be exactly the same man as he was before but Jared nodded at him. It’s like he already knew it, I found this kind of weird...

Day Seventy-Seven:
Yes!! Speech!! Movement!!
Recovery is in progress! Full speed ahead!

Day Eighty:
A minor downfall.
Jared fell when he was trying to walk, but its okay; he has all the time in the world. Although… His fans are not that please with me. They no longer cheer when Tomo and I walk in and out, only a few remain, its sickening to think my brother is old news to them. No recent hearings about Jared's girl either, its been months now, she sure sounds like a true love anyway...

Day Ninety-Nine:
Jared tried checking himself out! The nurses are all flattered by him! He walks around slowly smiling at them and quoting the sonnets to them! It’s a laugh watching it.
Two days; the doctors said he only has to wait two more days!
Home is where his heart lies, I can tell it! He can't wait to get out! He turned to me today and said, "Shannon, if I'm ever stuck in a hospital this long again just wheel me down a mountain!" Yep, he's my brother again.

Day One-Hundred and One:
Finally homecoming!
Sign up to rate and review this story