Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance

Mikey's 30th Birthday

by TheGiinger 2 reviews

Mikey has birthday blues... (fluff)[one-shot]

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Mikey Way - Published: 2010-09-09 - Updated: 2010-09-09 - 1444 words

1Original
"Happy Birthday Mikey!" Alicia cried, surrounded by the band looking ridiculous with pointy hats and party whistles. That's quite a scary sight. Trust me.

"Yay! Thanks guys..." I forced a smile and blew out the candles on my chocolate cake.

"Aww, my 'lil brother is growing up," Gerard fake-sniffed, and wiped a pretend tear from his eye. "30 already! Gosh, the years just fly by, don't they? Doesn't seem that long ago we were fighting over comic books and giving each other wedgies, does it?"

"Gerard. You still do that now" Alicia giggled. I laughed along with the other guys, but my heart wasn't in it. "Okay, scram! Birthday Boy has to change!"

*

Even though Smells Like Teen Spirit was playing, and everyone I loved was dancing away at my 'Surprise' birthday party that Alicia had gone through so much effort to organise- I needed to escape. I needed to think, and something told me a room full of 100's of people, was not that place.

I slung out, the back door, tip-toed around the side of the house to the front (saying 'hello' to the randomers hanging around) and set off to the local park about 3 blocks away. It should've been empty at that time of night. As I approached I realised that I was right- there was not a soul in sight. I saw a rather large Oak tree, and as this was one of my last times to be childish, naturally, I climbed up it and settled on one of the lower branches.

I turned 30 today, a whole new stage of my life. And what've I achieved? Well, I'm married, I have my own house- oh, and I'm part of an internationally recognised rock band. But I can't help but yearn for more- surely I should have small children now, 2 or 3 of them, take a break from work to raise them, and then start recording and touring again when there a little bit older. Then I think that I've left it too long- what kind of world would it be to raise them in now? Look at the Wentz's, always in the media for something- surely it can't be healthy for them to grow up in the public eye, always judged and expected to be great musicians and future rock stars. I mea-

"Are you okay?" A young female voice questioned.

"FUCK!!" I yelled, in complete and utter shock- where the hell had she come from?

She shrieked and jumped back in surprise. Falling out of the tree at the same time. A sickening 'thud' echoed through the other-wise silent park.

"Shitshitshit!" I muttered, racing back down the great Oak tree, after the falling adolescent.

Her short ginger hair splayed around her head and in her face, I reached out and gently shook her bright green hoodie-clad shoulder.

"Can you hear me?" I asked softly, praying like shit that she wasn't dead.

She groaned, and shifted a little, before opening her eyes and whispering-
"Ow."

She sat up with my assistance and leaned against the tree trunk. I slumped down next to her.

"So," She hesitantly began after a very awkward pause. "What was wrong earlier, Mr-?"

"Way. Erm, Mikey." I stuttered.

She smiled. "You okay Mikey? You looked...depressed."

"I'm fine, thanks." I just wanted to be with my thoughts.

"Sure you don't want to talk about it? Remember a problem shared..."

"Is a problem halved?" I finished, and then cracked my first genuine smile of the day. "You read the advice columns too then?"

"Yep, so... Are you gonna tell me what's up?"

I sighed, and then began. "Well, today I turned 30."

"I wish I was 30."

"What? Why?"

"Well, I should have everything sorted by the time I'm 30! Know what I'm doing and where I'm going with my life!"

"How old are you exactly?"

"I'm 15, nearly 16."

"Christ, 15. That seems so long ago..."

She laughed shallowly. "It sucks."

"What?! Being 15 is so carefree- the only thing you have to worry about is if your hair looks good, and what your friends will think of your new shoes!"

"Not anymore Mikey! We have our futures thrust at us by school, labels stamped across our heads by society and constant pressure from our friends and peers! Do you know how hard it is to just be yourself nowadays? It's always 'Do this', 'Do that', 'Say this' and 'Say that'. Oh, and 'Don't do that because you will never get into College with that on your record!' It's really irritating! Maybe I don't wanna go to College! Maybe I wanna, I don't know, like start a band and tour the world or be a film star, fresh faced from high school!"

"I...I didn't realise." There was a slightly awkward pause. "So...you play?"

"Yeah. Bass."

"Cool, me too!"

"Look, forget about my problems- I wanna know what was wrong! Seriously dude, just let it out!"

I considered it for a moment, then decided I had nothing to lose.
"Well, turning 30 made me almost assess my life." I began. "Thinking about things I've done and all I've achieved, and then finally making it round to children. Yes, I'm an Uncle now- but I'm not a father, and I'm 30! Surely I should be! I should have a few little toddlers by now, running around and just being general tyrants!"

"But Mikey! Don't you see? You've achieved more by the time you're 30, than I will in my entire life! Just think- you're in a internationally re-noun rock band, have chart #1's in a few different countries, won several Kerrang! and MTV awards, and have sold well over 2 million albums worldwide! Holy shit dude! All before you were 30! Don't worry! You still have plenty of time for kiddies!

But remember- when that ship sails, there ain't no turning back..."

"But can you imagine trying to raise a child in the thirsty eyes of the media! I would be hell! ..Wait, what? You know who I am?!"

"Uh-huh."

"Then why didn't you say so?! We didn't have to do that awkward and slightly dangerous introduction!"

"Well, how else would I break the ice?! 'Oh hi, Mikey. I can see you're upset but, you're the guy who inspired me to play bass. Why don't you tell me what's wrong?' I don't think so."

"So you fell out of a tree?!"

She shook her head. "That was an accident! Look Mikey, you've got nothing to worry about- anybody says anything, the MCRmy would rip them to shreds, and you've got a pretty good head on your shoulders, so I doubt they would need too! Gerard's managing fine, and I'm sure Frank will be just the same! So calm down, and you really need to talk to Alicia about this- okay?"

"...thanks. Thanks a lot-" I suddenly realised I never leant her name. "And are you sure you're okay, and can walk fine?"

"Rachael. You’re very welcome Mikey. And yes, I've had worse- trust me." We shook hands, and only then did I start to take in her appearance. She was wearing plain blue bootleg jeans, black converses, and the bright green hoodie. Her head was adorned with wild ginger locks, not terribly bright, but ginger all the same. She had light brown eyes, and her cheeks were crowded with freckles- just an average teenager. "Just calm down, and remember you've still got plenty of time for children. Now get back to your bloody party, stick on Teenagers and rock the fuck out.

Afterall, you're only 30 once, my friend!"

We both stood, and she wrapped her arms around me in an innocent embrace, and as we broke apart, I kissed her on her forehead, as a 'thank-you' of sorts, before parting in seperate directions.

*
"They said all Teenagers scare the living shit outta me,
They could care less, as long as someone will bleed,
So darken your clothes, or strike a violent pose,
Maybe they'll leave you alone but not me!"


The night turned into one drunken haze of alcohol, music and dancing bodies, and finally Alicia and I had an empty house, and collapsed into bed.

"Goodnight Mikey. Happy 30th Birthday." She sighed in content, snuggling into my warm embrace.

"It sure is." I whispered under my breath, vaguely remembering an impressive Oak tree and a flame-haired girl, before collapsing into a dreamless sleep.


A/N- Okay, that was just a cute little one-shot about what Mikey might be thinking on his birthday (let's hope not!) So, Happy Birthday Mikey Way! Hope you have a fantastic day, and I can't wait for the new album!
It would be nice if you R+R :D
Love Rae xo
Sign up to rate and review this story