Categories > TV > Smallville > Dragonfly Wishes and Butterfly Kisses

7

by Scorch 0 reviews

Donations come in all forms.

Category: Smallville - Rating: R - Genres:  - Published: 2010-09-12 - Updated: 2010-09-12 - 4465 words

0Unrated
Title: Dragonfly Wishes and Butterfly Kisses
Author: Sunscorched
Email: Miss_Incognito4@live.co.uk
Rating: Rated for language and implied sexual situations.
Category: AU
Content: Chlollie
Summary: Donations come in all forms.
Disclaimer: I own nothing.
Distribution: Anyplace.
Notes: Dedicated to Slytherinpunk. Big, giant THANK YOU to Al, Solo, and Strom for helping me and reading it over.


Seeing Oliver sat behind his desk and in his chair was a bit of a surprise for Robert, especially since it was before 9 in the morning and was focused on the computer screen while jotting down the occasional note.

"Ahem," Robert coughed, gesturing to his occupied chair.

"Oh, hey, dad," Oliver half greeted, then looked properly at the man who was stood watching him and grimaced with realisation. "Tax time again, huh?"

The elder Queen went to look at the screen, but his son mimised the window and wrote down the site. He narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "It's not porn, is it?"

What?

Oliver shook his head. "No, dad, it's not," and lowered his voice to a whisper. "Porn."

Robert may have nodded, but still looked suspicious. He knew what young men got upto these days. "Of course it isn't, son," he smiled. "So what are you looking at?"

"Just a couple of stuff for Molly," and the admission made the elder man's eyebrows touch his hairline.

So that was both his wife and son with visitation rights. "Last I heard, Miss. Sullivan and yourself weren't on the best of terms."

Oliver gave a little shrug. "We got off on the wrong foot is all. Bygones. Did I tell you what Molly's been doing when Chloe goes out?" He chuckled. "She's such a sneak, dad."

Robert's smile was tight. "That's nice you've made up."

"No, seriously," his son said, still laughing quietly. "Molly's been sneaking out to watch horror movies, so I'm just looking for stuff for her." That and reading up on ALL, but he wasn't quite ready to say that just yet.

He wanted some time to absorb just what it was and what Chloe wanted from him, and he wanted to make the decision himself without any interference from anyone. Oliver had always rolled his eyes when women said it was their body and they'd do what they wanted to it, but he was beginning to understand.

It was his body and bone marrow, and no-one was going to tell him what to do or not to do with it. Yeah, he'd only skimmed the surface when it came to leukemia and the transplant itself, but what he'd learned clearly said it was not a decision to take lightly. There was so much to it, so much to consider, so many questions that required answers.

Oliver knew Chloe would be willing to answer those questions, but she hadn't been able to take the easy route, so why should he? Besides, he wanted to do it himself and though it hadn't really sunk in yet, Molly was his daughter, too.

"When did you go see Molly?" Robert asked, his tone light. It didn't seem very fair that he hadn't been invited.

"Yesterday and the day before," his son answered before grinning. "She's a pretty cool for a kid. You have to hear about the sandy shoes. When Chloe told me..."

"I've heard all about the sandy shoes from your mother."

Oliver's grin faded a little at his father's slightly raised voice. "What's wrong, dad?"

"Nothing, son. I'm glad you're taking an interest in your daughter," and my granddaughter. "Only do it if you're sure."

His son fidgeted with the pen in his hands for a moment, not wanting to confess just yet, but knowing his dad was looking out for him. Much the same way Chloe was looking out for Molly. "I'm reading up on ALL," he got out and looked at his father. "I can't just... I can't, dad. Not yet. I need to know first."

Robert bit back the urge to ask for an invitation. His son's welfare was foremost at the moment. "That's good and you should always get your facts before you make a decision like this. I'm proud of you, Oliver Jonas."

Oliver straightened up at hearing those words. "Yeah? I know I haven't been son of the year, but..."

His father waved that off. "You'll get there, son," he said and sat in front of his desk. "So, you saw Molly?"

"Yeah. I went after work yesterday. Didn't stay long because she was tired. Tried to stay awake, but..." Oliver gave a shrug. "She was out like a light in under ten minutes. Chloe looked tired herself, so I made myself scarce."

Robert watched as deep thought caused his son to frown. "Molly didn't seem to eat much, either. Wikipedia said children with ALL have decreased appetites, but nibbling on toast is more than a decreased appetite, right?"

"I wouldn't know, Oliver."

Oliver tapped his fingers on the desk. "You think she'd be allowed a burger? From McDonald's, I mean. No kid can resist the Golden Arches, right? Course she'd have everything on it and going large for 40 cents won't break the bank, so Chloe can't complain I'm spending too much."

Robert took a deep breath and counted to ten before smiling pleasently. "Molly must quite a little character. When did you get the invitation to go see her?"

"I didn't. I just... Turned up..." Oliver paused long enough to chuckle again. "At either the wrong or right time. Her mom caught Molly making me promise not to tell about the movies. We're not allowed TV for a week."

Seeing his father arch a brow, "It's either no TV for a week or no trip to the aquarium... Which, as it turns out, might not actually be possible. Something that sucks ass cos I promised and she was real excited about the sharks. I'll talk to Arthur about the place, see if he can do something on his side." He frowned again. "I just don't wanna disappoint her, you know?"

"To be honest, son. No, I wouldn't know." Robert grumbled almost petulantly. "I don't actually know anything because I haven't been invited to see her."

Oliver opened his mouth to say something, but then he noticed his father's lower lip was slightly extended. He took a closer look, "Dad, are you pouting?"

Robert quickly rearranged his expression. "No, I'm just a little annoyed that Miss. Sullivan hasn't seen fit to invite her daughter's grandfather."

He was a little taken aback by his father's easy use of the familial term. "Have you asked if you can go see her?"

"Well, no." Robert shifted uncomfortably, "But that's no excuse! Miss. Sullivan could have told your mother or yourself that I was allowed to go visit. I bet Miss. Sullivan's father gets to go see her."

Oliver bit back the urge to laugh.

His father was jealous and he wanted to see how much.

"I don't know much about Molly's grandpa..." He stopped to laugh. "Comes out grampa, but I go off topic. Of course he's been to see her, don't think it's often because he's a plant manager at Lexcorp. Early mornings and late evenings in a fertiliser plant? Not great for an Oncology ward, given the rules."

Robert's pout turned into a scowl and Oliver pretended not to notice as he kept talking. "They're really strict on that stuff, you know? Especially since the swine flu epidemic. A green sticker means you can take the mask off. Or at least that's what Molly says."

"Well, isn't that nice for grampa?"

Oliver couln't help it.

He laughed loudly and grinned. "Just go see her, dad. She doesn't get many visitors, so she'll be so happy to have someone else see her."

"I haven't been invited," Robert pointed out.

"I wasn't, either," Oliver confessed through his grin. "I just turned up two days ago and got myself banned from watching TV for a week. It was either that or no..."

"Or no trip to the aquarium?" Robert had to smile despite the rather childish jealousy he felt. "I can't just turn up out of the blue."

"Why not? Visitors are always welcome and the aren't any set hours." Oliver couldn't help the tightness in his chest. "Because of the type of illness the kids have, the open hours make it easier for family and friends to visit."

Being a father, the meaning behind Oliver's word hit him where it hurt and he winced. "I'd still feel rude, son."

"Want me to talk to Chloe?"

"No, no," Robert offered a smile. "I want to be invited because I'm wanted to be seen."

Oliver rolled his eyes and stood up. His dad could be such a moron at times. "Okay," he patted his dad on the shoulder. "I better get going if I wanna beat the traffic. That road sucks."

"So I can have my desk back?"

"Only until the porn starts downloading. Later, dad."

Robert Queen didn't know how fast to move and make sure his son was not using the business line for porn.

XOXOXO

The drive to the hospital was quiet for Oliver as he thought about what he'd learned about Molly's illness and what it meant, and the one thing that stood out was the lack of appetite. She wasn't just a small kid, but she was thin and he guessed it wasn't only because of her leukemia.

He'd been there for a solid four hours yesterday and she hadn't even nibbled on a snack or asked for a cookie or anything and that wasn't right for a four year old. At four, he remembered asking every ten minutes for cookies or some cake or ice cream and when he was told no, he'd go sneak some.

Oliver chuckled as he recalled getting caught eating his mom's apple pie with his hands. He wasn't sure what had his mom more horrified. The fact a five year managed to climb up onto a kitchen counter or the lack of cutlery.

Then his chuckle started to fade as he also recalled his mom putting the blame onto Arthur's influence. It had been down to him and no-one else, yet he'd stood there and kept quiet.

Guilt irrationally crept up and he winced.

God, he'd been such a jackass of a kid and not much better as an adult, if he was honest with himself.

A sign known the world over caught his eye and Oliver thought for all of two seconds, before flipping on the indicator lights and making a sharp turn. Angry drivers be damned, he was a man with a plan.

It took a short while until it was his turn at the drive-thru.

"What can I get you, sir?"

What did Molly like? The site said high calorie food was a good choice. "Um... I'll have three Big Macs, everything on em, three chocolate milkshakes, and one chocolate ice cream. Large em up for me, will ya? Thanks, dude," and handed over his credit card.

"Thank you for your order, sir. Have a nice day."

Oliver grinned and went to the collection point. He'd have to hurry to the hospital or the fries would get cold. He could easily get quarters from the hospital gift shop.

XOXOXO

"Knock, knock," Oliver popped his head into Molly's room and frowned. There was Chloe, but no Molly. "Aren't you missing something? Little kid, about yay tall?"

Chloe rolled her eyes and clicked 'save' before setting her laptop aside. "She's powdering her nose."

Ahh.

"Can I?"

"No, you can stand there and wait your turn." Her straight face only lasted until Oliver sneered and she laughed. She'd never thought for one second Oliver Queen would ever be a fan of sarcasm. "Sure and what is that I can smell?"

"Oh? You mean this?" He held up a large grocery bag. "This is lunch. I was hungry and since it'd be rude to eat when in company, I figured you gals wouldn't mind joining me. It's just a couple of things."

Green eyes looked from the McDonald's bag to his innocent face. "A couple of things, huh? What would those couple of things be?"

Oliver shrugged. "Just a couple of burgers and shakes and... Maybe an ice cream for Molly."

It wasn't that his explanation didn't sit right with her or that she wasn't grateful for the lunch, but... There was something in his voice that screamed out he was lying about something. "Maybe an ice cream for Molly?"

"Okay, so definitely an ice cream for Molly. Chocolate, of course. All little girls like chocolate ice cream."

"I didn't."

"Then it's a good thing I didn't buy it for you, isn't it?"

Oliver and Chloe smiled at each other, appreciating the easy banter and common ground they'd found.

She took the bag from him just as Molly came out of the lavatory, rubbing her eyes with the back her hand, then saw her friend. "Ollie! Did you remember to bring the pictures?"

He had to laugh at her excitement. "I did remember the pictures, but a little bird told me you haven't been eating properly."

"That's cos I'm not hungry."

Chloe forced herself to keep quiet as she watched them interract. She might get to find out what Oliver was upto and why he was lying.

He gave the girl a simple smile that said more than any word ever could and Chloe got a feeling she was going to see her daughter get conned by a professional. "Then you won't want a McDonald's," and sighed before glancing at Molly's mom. "I guess that's more for us."

Intrigued, Chloe played along. "I guess so... We split the third milkshake and half the ice cream and Big Mac?"

"Yep! Coming to the family room?"

Both pretended not to see Molly's widening eyes as she began to plead. "But I like McDonalds and milkshakes! I can have the third one!"

Oliver looked so damn innocent. "But if you're not hungry, then the burger will only go to waste..."

She shook her head rapidly. "It won't, Ollie. I swear. I'll eat it all. Promisepromisepromise."

He shot an amused Chloe a sly glance. "Think we can believe her?"

"I don't know..." she thought aloud, but seeing the begging on her daughter's face was just too much. "I think we can believe her."

"Just in case..." Oliver continued and slipped the small pile of pictures out of his back pocket, making sure the quarters clinked loudly. "For every bite you have, you get one photo and a quarter."

He ignored the look Chloe was now giving him and focused on Molly. "There's a jar in that bag so you can save your quarters to spend at the aquarium gift shop."

Okay, so ignoring Chloe was getting pretty difficult. He could freaking feel that death glare stripping the skin from his bones. He had to let her know he'd been reading and learning and that he wasn't entering into this with his eyes closed. "I've read lots of stuff about burgers and you know what? Burgers are best thing for a little girl like you to eat."

Chloe swallowed back the thick lump in her throat as she deciphered what he was telling her. He had listened to her, really listened, and he was still here and making an effort to know about Molly and ALL.

She blinked away the tears and the relief pushed the hell away from her heels.

Oliver was giving her hope and from here on out, she'd deny him nothing.

Molly nodded and was only too happy to agree. "Mommy, Ollie says burgers are good for little girls like me and he said yesterday that I'd be allowed to watch TV again if I ate it all."

He gaped.

He said no such thing, but if it got her to eat...

Oliver nodded and agreed. "I did."

Did they think she was stupid? "Of course you did," Chloe said with a knowing smirk. She'd teach her child not to lie one way or another. "Molly, sweetheart? Get yourself into bed. You've got one whole, large Big Mac to eat."

"Okay!"

Oliver rubbed his hands together. "Lunch time for Ollie."

Molly giggled as she got herself comfortable and pulled the sheets up over her legs. "Lunch time for Molly."

Chloe shook her head and began to get the stuff out out of the bag, the smell of fast food making her stomach rumble.

Oliver arched a brow as he sat in the seat on the left side of the bed and propped his feet up. "Hungry, Chloe?"

"I sometimes forget to eat when I work," she explained as she passed a burger to her daughter. "Give that to Ollie, please sweetheart. Good girl."

Oliver took it graciously. "Thank you," and she smiled shyly. "You said you're a writer."

Chloe gave Molly her own burger and fries, and took enjoyment at the expression on her little face. "TV if you eat it all, remember?"

Victory for mothers everywhere, she wanted to shout and sat in the seat on the right side of the bed. "I am," she replied to Oliver's question. "No, you're not getting any clues."

"She writes bad people who do bad things and go to jail," Molly supplied helpfully as she unwrapped her burger.

"You little snitch!" Chloe hissed to the kid would not be getting any trust fund or inheritance.

Oliver chuckled. "Crime's good. My dad reads a lot of crime novels."

Chloe was chewing and therefore unable to stop Molly from talking. With her mouth full, no less. "My mommy writes the best ones, Ollie."

"Bite number one, so one picture and one quarter for your jar," he said to keep Chloe from interrupting. "Do you know your mommy's name?"

Molly swallowed. "Um-hm, but am not s'posed to tell."

Oliver gave the little girl his biggest pout. "Please? I'll give you two extra quarters for your next bite...?"

Chloe choked on a piece of lettuce. "You're bribing my daughter?"

He simply shrugged. "Just using my resources. Whaddya say, kiddo? Two extra quarters and two extra photos if you tell me your mommy's name."

Molly looked unsure, so he stepped up a notch. "You've already had one bite, so that's one quarter and one photo. You give me your mommy's name, then you'll have three photos and three quarters to spend at the gift shop. They sell goldfish there, you know? A few more bites and you would be able to buy a goldfish of your very own..."

"Can I call it after mommy's name?"

Oliver grinned winningly at Chloe, who seemed to be planning his untimely death. "Only if you tell me her name..."

Molly giggled. "Rumplestiltskin!"

"What?" He exclaimed and Chloe laughed heartily when he shot her a dirty look.

Her daughter was so getting a trust fund and inheritance.

"You don't know the story?" Molly asked, her brown eyes wide. "Rumplestiltskin says the Queen can keep her daughter if she guesses his name in three days and she doesn't get it right and then she does and Rumplestiltskin is never seen again."

Oliver pretended not to hear Chloe's constant chuckling. He needed to save face with his daughter. "So I have to get your mommy's name in three days?"

Molly frowned. "What about my two extra quarters and pictures?"

Chloe patted her chest and wiped her eyes, the occasional chuckle still sounding out. "I'm sorry," she tried and failed to be apologetic. "You got yourself into this, Oliver. You can get yourself out."

He pulled a face that made Molly giggle. "Okay," he stated, still trying not to look like he'd been conned by a kid, much less his own. "Instead of three days, how about three guesses and I get clues."

"Do I still get my extra quarters?"

"Molly," Oliver held Chloe's gaze. "For this, you get two whole dollars."

The little girl gasped. "Two whole dollars? Mommy, mommy, can we play the Name Game? If he gets it right, I get two dollars."

"What's the Name Game?"

XOXOXO

"Molly, is he peeking?"

"Are you peeking, Ollie?"

He wanted to laugh, but managed not too. "No, I'm not peeking."

"No, mommy. He's not peeking."

"Are you sure?"

Molly waved her hand at the back of Oliver's head and when he didn't react, "Yes, mommy."

Oliver coughed to cover up his laughter when he felt two pairs of eyes watching him. "Can't see anything, girls. Cross my heart," then he heard some paper rustle and the uncapping of a pen, closely followed by the sound of said pen moving on top of a solid surface.

"He can look now, sweetheart."

Having the most important job, Molly took it seriously and tapped Oliver on the shoulder, and spoke with the voice of a girl double her age. "You can turn around now, Ollie."

"Thank you," and he turned around only to find a Post-It attached to his forehead.

Molly nodded in satisfaction. "You get twenty questions and three guesses, but if you don't get it right, can I still have the two dollars?"

Despite having a piece of yellow paper partially in his line of sight, Oliver smiled. "Course you can, Fishcake."

Two dollars was a small price to pay for being part of this.

Chloe was sat right on the other side of him, her arms folded and a gleam in her eye. "First question, Mr. Queen..."

Oh, he recognised a challenge when he saw one.

Oliver winked at his daughter before deciding what to ask. "Am I a boy?"

Molly shook her head. "No, Ollie. 19 questions left and 3 guesses."

Well, didn't that narrow it down?

"Do I have books published?"

His daughter nodded. "Yes, 18 questions left and three guesses."

Chloe's smile was beautiful, Oliver noticed. All teeth and rounded cheeks and genuine. She was trying to silently tell him something, but what? "Am I well known?"

Not fully understanding, Molly looked to her mom. "Mommy, are you well-known?"

He kicked himself and vowed to phrase his questions in an easier way.

"Well-known means being very famous and having a lot of people know who you are," Chloe explained. "The answer is no, but I do have a small cult following who appreciate the details."

Molly nodded. "No, Ollie. 17 questions left and three guesses."

Now, he was really starting to think.

Chloe was definitely trying to tell him something and for the life of him, he honestly couldn't work out what it was. A female crime novelist with a cult following who appreciate the details? "I wish my dad was here," Oliver muttered, his brain ticking over. "Do I have more than 10 books published?"

Molly shook her head. "No. 16 questions left and three guesses."

Damn!

He scratched his head, then noticed Chloe mouthing something to him.

Eeee-orrr Ohlwed? "Eyore Ohlwed?"

Chloe's expression would have had made him laugh, except it was directed at him and clearly said dumbass.

Molly shook her head. "No. 15 questions left and two guesses."

All he'd have to do is reach up and take the Post-It off his head, and he'd know, but he couldn't do it. It'd be cheating and it was plain to see Chloe was bringing their daughter up proper, so no. He wasn't gonna cheat at all.

Oliver concentrated on what Chloe had said and not what she tried to mime. He went over that information, this time taking out the unnecessary. Female crime novelist, less than ten books, cult following, details.

There was something, but he couldn't put his finger on it, and so he chose his next question carefully. "Do I..." He began, the saw how both Chloe and Molly leaned forward at the same time.

The kid might have the Queen looks and his mannerisms, but she was all Sullivan with her actions.

Oliver kept his humour to himself. "Do I..." and they both wore the same expression and he couldn't do it to them anymore. "Do I have a special line that I use in all of my books?"

Chloe did a weird gesture with her eyes that he figured was meant to say he was on the right track.

Molly giggled. "Yes. 14 questions left and two guesses."

Oliver started snapping his fingers. It was on the tip of his tongue and damn if he could remember the damn name. "Aw, man! I know it! I swear it's on the tip of my tongue!"

Chloe started to laugh. "I always am!"

He was too busy to appreciate the double entendre. "I know you, dude. Man, I do know you, Chlo! I swear I do!"

"C'mon, Ollie," Chloe encouraged, a grin the size of Texas on her face.

"Aw...!" Oliver kept snapping his fingers as though it would help. "Do I have a book called Death By Chocolate?"

"I helped my mommy write that," Molly grinned proudly, then slapped a hand over her mouth and spoke with a muffled voice. "Yes. 13 questions left and two guesses."

Chloe and Oliver looked at each other and burst out laughing.

"Just a shot in the dark here," Oliver wheezed through his laughter. "But am I Esther Allred?"

Molly lowered her hand. "Yes. Sorry, mommy. I snitched."

Chloe wiped her eyes for the second time that day. "Sweetheart, you're going to get four dollars for that. Two from Ollie and two from me."

Brown eyes turned saucer wide. "Four dollars?" She asked in awe and turned to Oliver. "How many goldfish can I get for four dollars?"

He knew right then and there he didn't have a hope in hell of denying her anything.

"Fishcake," Oliver said to his daughter while looking at her mom. "You can have as many goldfish as you want."

Chloe saw the slippery slope Ollie was on and stepped in. "No, you can have as many goldfish as four dollars will buy you and no more."

Molly pouted. "But Ollie said..."

Oliver knew what she was doing and remembered having it done to him when he was a kid. "You buy as many goldfish that four dollars will allow and your mom and I will buy the food and the bowl." He looked at Chloe and hoped she'd accept the compromise.

Chloe didn't see any compromise.

All she saw were two sets of big brown eyes looking at her hopefully, and she didn't have the heart to give in. "Okay, okay," and held her hands up in defeat. "You can buy your goldfish and Ollie and I will buy the bowl and food."

Oliver watched Molly reach over to give her mom a hug and he realised that if he was going to give his bone marrow, then he wanted Molly to know he was her dad.
Sign up to rate and review this story