Categories > Games > Final Fantasy 5 > Boys Don't Cry

Smiling Again

by eowynjedi 0 reviews

Chapter 2

Category: Final Fantasy 5 - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Published: 2006-05-04 - Updated: 2006-05-04 - 838 words

0Unrated
Tule's bar was bustling with activity as usual. It was the unofficial port-of-call for the crews of pirate ships. Nobody knew just when it had been established -- some said twenty years ago, some fifty, and once Arcil had heard one hundred and two from some wizened, peg-legged old seadog. How it managed to never run out of ale, rum, or beer was another mystery, and Brandy wouldn't tell anyone -- not even Arcil. Speakin' o' which... Yes, there she was, behind the counter. The prettiest face he ever did see, but only the greenest sailor would take Brandy for a bubblehead. Under those auburn curls was a shrewd mind and a quick wit that could see through any manipulation and defuse heated arguments before they degenerated into brawls... usually. No husband either, and no children, at least not anymore.

Arcil broke into a broad grin as she noticed at him, the first time he had done so in a long time. Brandy, however, did not reciprocate. Her eyes darted from him to the little child clutching his hand and covered completely by his heavy coat -- it reached the floor on her small frame. Looking tense and curious, Brandy waved him over, directed a young woman to tend the bar, and disappeared into a back room.

As soon as Arcil had come in and shut the door, Brandy nodded to the child. "What's this, Arcil?"

"Well, er," he began uncertainly, not sure how to phrase it. "I found 'er on the beach."

"Did you now."

"Who are you?" interrputed a voice from several feet below: the girl, looking up at Brandy. Her face was curious, not afraid.

"My name is Brandy, dear," the businesswoman said with a kindly grin. "Are you tired?"

"No," the girl insisted stubbornly, glaring up. Brandy raised her eyebrows and kept on watching her, as though entering into a staring contest. The girl glared, blinked, glared, yawned, fidgeted, then swayed and clung to Arcil's leg. Looking satisfied, Brandy picked the girl up and carried her out, heading upstairs to her own room. Arcil smiled again as he heard the girl protest mumblingly.

A minute later, Brandy rushed back into the room and shut the door with a loud snap. Arcil jerked in surprise at the look of fury on her face -- he had never seen her looking so thunderous. "All right, Arcil. Where's she from, who are her parents, and what in hell do you mean by bringing her here?!" she demanded.

"I found 'er on the beach is all. There weren't any'un there with 'er. Whadjer want me ter do, leave 'er alone ter die?" he retorted hotly. "I'm tellin' the truth, woman!" he added when he saw the skeptical glare that Brandy now fixed him with. "D'you think I stole her, for goddsakes?"

"I think you'd do just about anything to get Denley back--"

"Of course I would! He was my son! An' he was your son too, Brandy! Have yeh forgotten?!" the pirate shouted. Instantly, he realized he'd made a mistake. He had thought Brandy was looking thunderous before -- now she seemed like nothing less than a full-force hurricane. Her open palm connected sharply and painfully with the side of his face, nearly knocking him into the wall.

"Don't you ever say anything like that again," she hissed as Arcil straightened, rubbing his stinging cheek. "How dare you! Just because I haven't been wallowing in grief doesn't mean I've forgotten my own child!" She scrubbed angry fingers across her eyes, wiping away threatening tears before they could spill. "I don't have the luxury of dropping everything to stew in guilt and self-pity." She stopped, pulling in a deep breath.

"Now tell me plain, Arcil Scherwiz. Did you really find her all alone on the beach like you said, or are you hiding something from me?"

Arcil shook his head, subdued. "I'm not 'idin' anythin', Brandy. 'Tis the truth I'm tellin' yer."

Brandy looked at him hard, searchingly. Arcil met her gaze squarely.

"All right," Brandy sighed finally. "Stay here tonight. We can talk about it tomorrow." She wiped her eyes again and pushed open the door. "I gotta get back to the bar."

"How is she?" Arcil asked as she turned to go. "The girl, I mean."

"Sleeping like a rock. I gave her a clean shirt of mine for a nightdress." She paused, then added, "You should probably stay with her, just in case she wakes up. Third room on the left." Brandy handed him a key and disappeared back into the chaotic noise of Tule's bar.

Arcil didn't waste any time in going up. He unlocked the door, opening it as quietly as possible. The little girl was as Brandy said, deep in slumber, her striking violet hair vivid in the chink of light from the door. With a smile, Arcil locked the room and pulled off his boots, pulling a chair over to watch her. His own eyelids began to sag, and soon both of them were gone to dreams.
Sign up to rate and review this story