Categories > Anime/Manga > Matantei Loki Ragnarok

The Best-Laid Plans

by feliciter-audax 0 reviews

The best-laid plans of gods and monsters often go awry.

Category: Matantei Loki Ragnarok - Rating: G - Genres: Crossover, Humor - Characters: Freyr, Heimdall, Loki, Other - Published: 2006-05-07 - Updated: 2006-05-07 - 582 words - Complete

1Funny
"For the last time, Freyr, St. Nicholas was not crucified - wait, did you say a church? During an exorcism?"

"Freyr solemnly swears that it was so."

Had Freyr been more alert, he would have noticed the gears turning in Heimdall's brain. As it is, his attention is diverted by the small green creature investigating Heimdall's hawk with a predatory demeanour.

The hawk regards it with what would have been trepidation in a less majestic bird.

"Bad Muu! Haven't you eaten enough today? You'll spoil your appetite, and just when Freyr managed to get all this ramen at 90% off too!"

Heimdall feels his temples beginning to throb, which he is not sure is entirely due to Freyr's usual effect on him, and raises his voice above the din:

"Let me get this straight: you went to the Church of the Holy Innocents to look for Santa Claus-"

"St. Nicholas-"

"-and saw this...thing there absorbing the demons, with the priest thinking it was all his doing?"

"Her name is Muu."

"How do you tell - never mind, I don't want to know."

"Freyr is very good at these things."

Heimdall barely represses a shudder, but does not allow this to distract him from the most important issue.

"So it can devour evil spirits...interesting; that might be useful."

Muu-chan regards him curiously, then decides that the noodles on the counter would be a perfect hat, and spends the rest of dinner pirouetting around showing it off, to Freyr's delight and Heimdall's disgust.

He almost chokes fatally when Freyr, having polished off much of the meal, snatches Muu-chan up and declares,

"Come, Freyr will take Muu to bed!"


The next morning sees Heimdall futilely trying to pick the magically-warded lock on Loki's front door while Freyr and Muu-chan look on with interest. When he finally abandons the attempt in frustration, Muu-chan taps her head lightly against the knob, and the door swings open.

" Freyr is grateful for your help. After you, Muu."

Once Heimdall has recovered from his shock, he persuades Freyr to get Muu-chan to similarly dispel all the wards shielding his ultimate target.

"The basement? Why would Heimdall want to go to such a dirty, dank place when the rest of Loki's house is so nice?"

Heimdall speaks as slowly and clearly as he has the patience to.

"Because that's where Loki keeps his collection of evil spirits: when he has enough, he will be able to return to his original form. If Muu can absorb all of them, it will delay his awakening. "

For once, everything seems to be going according to plan: they reach the basement with minimal effort and no interference, since Loki and his entourage appear to be out of the house.

Muu-chan needs no encouragement: her eyes narrow with determination as she takes up her position and draws all the demons into herself with breathtaking efficiency and remarkable speed.

Even Heimdall has to admit that he is impressed, surveying the empty holders with triumphant satisfaction as Muu-chan sits in a corner of the room recovering from her heroic efforts while Freyr fusses over her.

"A-hem."

Loki is leaning against the door with an amused expression on his face.

"Hello, Muu-chan, aren't you going to greet me?"

Heimdall and Freyr stare incredulously as Muu-chan leaps into Loki's arms, and they are temporarily blinded by a brilliant flash of light.

When their vision clears, Loki is standing before them in his kakusei form.

"I see you've found my little helper."
Sign up to rate and review this story