Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and the Summer of Truth

Life In Hell AKA Privet Drive

by DeeZeno 2 reviews

Same as first Chapter

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry,Hermione,Lupin - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2010-10-25 - Updated: 2010-10-25 - 634 words

2Original



Chapter 2: Life in Hell AKA Privet Drive




Over the next few days, life seemed routine at Privet Drive. Harry got up at 5:15AM every morning and took a shower. Then he went downstairs and cooked breakfast. Harry actually thought he was cooking a feast; between the three Dursley's he cooked 11 eggs, 7 sausage patties, 15 strips of bacon, and 8 pieces of toast. If he cooked well, he was allowed breakfast. According to the Dursley's breakfast was never good, but they ate every bite. Harry could not wait till he left!

After breakfast, he was handed his list of chores. Today was June 30th. His list was:

Weed Garden
Fully Clean Downstairs AND Upstairs Bathrooms
Paint Shed (paint is labeled in the garage)
Clean out the Boot of Aunt Petunia's Car


Harry groaned. Aunt Petunia's car was loaded with dirt and leaves from her Charity meeting; they cleaned off the primary school's playground.

Vacuum Upstairs Hall
Clean Dudley's Room


Harry looked over the list, groaning again for good measure, before heading to his room for suitable clothes to paint in. As he pulled on his work clothes, he thought about his friends, Ron and Hermione. He had written to them both acouple of times, but only received replies from Ron. Maybe he should write Moony later asking about Hermione. No sense in worrying now, he thought,/painting awaits!/

Some hours later, after finishing everything but cleaning Dudley's bedroom, Harry went downstairs to use the bathroom (the upstairs one still smelled like cleaner). Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon, and Dudley were tucking away into aroast. Harry grimaced as his stomach rumbled and went to his bedroom. It seemed he wouldn't eat a real meal today. He reached into his trunk and dug out some Chocolate Frogs, saved from a Hogsmeade trip, and ate a couple. As he munched he looked at his cards. I got Dumbledore again? He thought. It seemed he always got Dumbledore. Actually, the only ones I have that aren't Dumbledore are ones I've traded for. He stood up and threw the cards and wrappers in his trunk. Walking over to his desk, he decided to write a letter.

Moony,

I had a thought a few minutes ago that I was hoping to get your advice on. I was eating a couple Chocolate Frogs, when I realized the only card I've ever opened is Dumbledore. I must have 40 or so cards of his by now. I don't really think that's coincidental. Do you think he planted them to spy or something? I know he uses the portraits to tell him what's going on in the castle.

Sorry if this bothers you, I just thought it worth mentioning.

Thanks,
Harry.


PS. Have you any idea where Hermione is? She's not answering my owls.

Harry rolled up the parchment and called Hedwig over. After watching her fly out the window, he turned to his bed. Sleep was not being very kind to him this summer, and he was starting to dread trying to sleep. He was either stuck in anightmare, or feeling Voldemort's pleasure. Thankfully he didn't see anything, but he still felt it all.

After changing and turning off the light, Harry lay down and closed his eyes.

When Harry awoke, daylight was streaming in his window, and Hedwig was glaring at him with a reply letter for him.

Harry,

Just wanted to let you know I'll be by at 11:30AM to pick you up. Make sure you are in the back garden with all your things.

See you soon,
Remus.


Harry was confused; surely a note about Dumbledore's Chocolate Frog Cards wasn't enough reason to pick him up early. Harry glanced over the note once more, wondering if something was hidden, when his eyes widened. The date on the letter was 5 July. He slept for 4 days.

Sign up to rate and review this story