Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto

Behind the Mask

by Saicha6744 0 reviews

Kakashi visits the memorial and gets a surprize

Category: Naruto - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Kakashi - Published: 2010-11-05 - Updated: 2010-11-05 - 2074 words - Complete

2Moving
All right! On to fic no 5!!!

I know it is anoying that I count the amount of fics that I write.

This will be a shortish oneshot (and yes oneshots counts as fanfictions) about Kakashi and...a mystery person!!!

This is also my first attempt at Naruto.

I don't own Naruto.

Not at all.

Characters: Kakashi x MC (mystery character)
Rating: All
Catagory: Naruto
Genre: Drama



Behind the Mask


The silver-haired ninja woke up that morning feeling sore and tired. Sure, Kakashi had a rough night fighting the Sound Ninja and getting back the scroll that they stole from Tsunade. But that was not the main reason why Kakashi felt so tired.

Kakashi was tired of being tired. Everyday he woke up with a heavy feeling in his heart and a heavy conscience. A guilty conscience.
Every time he looked in the mirror he was reminded of that fateful day. The day he lost his friend. The fight they had before...it all weighed heavily on the copy nin's soul. His mind would drift back every time he looked in the mirror. Every time he looked at his one red eye.

Slowly he rose from his bed. Today was going to be one of those days. Those exceptionally hard days. The days that thoughts of Obito and Rin tortured him most.
Kakashi sighed and ran a hand through his wild silver hair. Hiding in his apartment won't make the day go away, right?

Dressing in no particular haste and donning his trade-mark mask Kakashi made his way to the monument. His heart grew heavy once again when he saw all the people gathered around the monument. Another ninja passed away. Another wasted life.
Kakashi tried to get his dark thoughts out of his mind by looking at the people who had come to pay their respects. There was Tsunade, Iruka and Gai to one side. Iruka looked particularly stricken by the death of the ninja. Then again Iruka was a pretty nice guy with a soft heart.
His uncovered eye scanned the rest of the visitors quickly until his vision settled on a familiar shock of blonde hair.
He looks so much like Minato-sensei, Kakashi thought. He closed his eyes and smiled ruefully behind his mask. Of course Naruto would look like Minato! Too bad Naruto would never know...
His gaze now shifted to Sasuke. The dark haired ninja was always serious-faced and was seemingly oblivious to Sakura's affections.
So much like we used to be...Kakashi thought and felt the familiar surge of pain, guilt and longing well up in his heart. Maybe that was why he took them under his wing. So that he could be back with his old team in a way.

"Kakashi-sensei, what took you so long to get here?" Sakura's bright and nagging voice said. The copy nin was so wrapped up in guilt and remorse that he did not notice the pink-haired ninja walk over to him.

"Oh, there was an eagle falling..."

"Spare me!" Sakura snapped and rolled her eyes.

"Hey! Kakashi-sensei finally showed up! Believe it!" That was none other that Naruto.

"Idiot." Sasuke responded and whacked Naruto upside of his head.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"Urgh! Will you guys stop it?!" Sakura chipped in and balled her fists in frustration. "I swear, a person can take you two nowhere!"

"Aww, Sakura-chan!" Naruto pouted and folded his arms over his chest.

Kakashi smiled behind his mask and shook his head. Being with them was just like being with his old team. This knowledge filled him with more sadness and guilt. And in a way he hoped to make up for his past mistakes with this team.

"I'm hungry."

"You're always hungry," Sakura snapped. She was clearly mad at Naruto for goodness knows what reason.

"Kakashi-sensei..." Naruto began. He made big puppy-dog eyes and even his whisker marks managed to add to the sorrowful effect.

"Ask Iruka," Kakashi replied. He knew what Naruto wanted. There was no way in Konoha that he would buy Naruto ramen! The boy ate like a pack of ravenous wolves! Besides, Ayame was practically throwing herself at him lately.

Before Naruto could argue, Kakashi vanished in a puff of smoke. He was in no mood to bicker with the kids today.

"You know your puppy-dog look only works on Iruka."

"Huh? Oh yeah, that's right Sakura-chan! Hehe." Naruto grinned foolishly and scratched the back of his head.

"Idiot," Sasuke replied and shook his head. Why did he have to put up with these two?

"Next time I'll use Sexy-Jutsu! He won't say no to that!"

Sakura face-palmed before she and Naruto argued all the way to Iruka-sensei. Sasuke grumbled a few feet behind.

Kakashi shook his head as he watched his team torment poor Iruka. He watched them from a tree high above the monument. Slowly the people drifted away until the square was empty. Kakashi sighed for what felt like the millionth time that day. He did not have the strength to hide his guilt and sorrow today. It was after all the day Obito died.

"Now anoher joins you," Kakashi mumbled and leapt from the tree.

He stood before the monument, his head inclined respectfully. His gazed fixed on one name only.
Obito.
He removed his forehead protector and opened his Sharingan eye.
"I'm sorry Obito. It's my fault you are gone. I'm sorry I could not keep my promise to you about Rin..." Kakashi whispered, but stopped. He sniffed the air and snapped his head up straight.

"You can come out now. I know you're there."

For long minutes there was no reply. No sound. Kakashi felt himself tense up, but he stared straight at the spot where he knew the other person was.

Just as he was about to call out again some twigs snapped and a lean figure limped out from the surrounding woods.
Kakashi immediately recognised the black cloak with flying red clouds. He gazed the other ninja's face only to see a swirl pattern mask. Only one eye hole peeked at him.

"Tobi."

"Kakashi," the other replied and limped towards the monument, stopping dangerously close to Kakashi.

Kakashi remained silent, his lazy stance never betrayed the aprehension he felt. It this guy was here...

"I came to pay my respects too," Tobi said. "Sorry for the scare," he sheephishly scratched the back of his head.

That guesture seemed so eerily familiar to Kakashi, but he just could not place it.

"Are you mourning someone?"

"What's it to you?" Kakashi taunted and immediately felt his guilt treble. Tobi's shoulders slouched and his head dropped.

"A friend," Kakashi replied as he dropped his guard. He sensed no ill intentions from the limping ninja.

"Oh...how did it happen?" Tobi prodded gently.

Kakashi returned his gaze to the monument. He felt there was no harm in answering Tobi's questions. It's not like the guy was asking for a rare scroll. He just wanted to know how Obito died. Well, talking about Obito will keep his memory alive, right?

"The team leader was a selfish idiot. It was his stupidity that caused my friend's death."

"Was he a good friend?" Tobi asked.

"Better than I deserve."

"Do you hate him? The team leader?" Tobi asked upon hearing the bitter tone in Kakashi's voice.

"Perhaps. What's with the twenty-questions?"

"Just making conversation."

Kakashi nodded and remained silent. There was something very peculiar about all of this. His skin crawled.

"I see you've used my gift well." Tobi suddenly said.

"What?" Kakashi yelped, feeling more freaked than anything else. "What are you talking about?"

"The Sharingan." Tobi replied evenly.

Kakashi reached up and touched his scar. He had forgotten that his Sharingan eye was uncovered.

"You're nuts." Kakashi said as he schooled his expression into blankness.

Tobi's shoulders shook as he laughed. Kakashi was certain the man was crazy. Completely crazy.

"Same old Kakashi," Tobi said as he calmed down, shaking his head sadly from side to side. "Still beating yourself up over something that happened so long ago? Rin would not be happy about it."

Kakashi could not hide his confusion. Before he realized what he was saying he blurted out: "How do you know Rin?"

"I loved her."

"Who are you?" Kakashi glared angrily at Tobi as the latter laughed again.

"It's been a long time...but maybe this will help," Tobi said as he yanked the mask from his face.

Kakashi's jaw dropped and his eyes grew wide. The face he saw was much older than it had been back then...but there was no mistaking it.

"O-Obito?" Kakashi gasped as he rubbed at his eyes. This must be some kind of trick! Obito is dead!

Tobi/Obito grinned sheepishly.

Kakashi gulped. All those years he thought Obito was dead! But now he was standing in front of him, a grown man. Still the same sheepish grin and kind eye. The other socket was empty, a patch covered the space where his eye once was.
The only thing missing was his orange goggles, the ones that Kakashi kept in his drawer.

"H-how?" Kakashi stuttered and hated it. He was losing his cool and becoming a nervous wreck. He was happy and relieved and incredibly guilty all at the same time. He never knew a person could feel so many contradicting things at once.

"Long story."

Kakashi nodded. He was too shocked to speak. His mind was at war with his heart, telling him not to believe what his eyes were seeing.

"I'm not mad at you, Kakashi. You don't have to feel so guilty. Hehe, at least we both now know you were an ass back then," Obito teased. Kakashi shook head as his mind lost the war. It too was telling him that this was Obito. Finally everything became too much for him to hide or keep in control. A single tear slid out of his grey eye.

"Wow, so you're not the iceblock you pretend to be, huh?" Obito teased gently as he placed a warm hand on Kakashi's shoulder.

Kakashi screwed his eyes shut and bowed his head in shame. After all these years Obito was back! He held no grudge, no anger against Kakashi. Not even after all the crap he had too put up with. All those times he used to make Obito cry...and his stupidity on that mission...still, he held no grudge. He was standing here, resting a hand on Kakashi's shoulder and smiling that goofy smile of his.

"I'm so sorry," Kakashi's voice was barely a whisper.

"Don't worry about it. It's in the past. And I know that you've visited the monument for me everyday. I can see that you really are sorry about that day, but stop beating yourself up over it. I'm alive. I don't hate you."

Kakashi nodded again. Unable to speak or to face Obito.

"Oh, and don't worry about Rin or your promise. I looked after her," Obito grinned.

Kakashi shot him a confused look.

"Look behind you," Obito instructed. Kakashi raised a brow, but obeyed. He was not going to make Obito cry again by being mean. Not today anyway.

"Hello Kakashi."

Kakashi did not know how many more surprizes his poor heart could take. For what felt like the hundreth time that day his heart leapt up into his throat and he could not speak. His jaw dropped in shock.
Before him stood Rin.
Her dark chocolate hair was longer.
Her purple stipes remained the same.
Her eyes was still the same deep and warm brown. So kind and gentle.
It was Rin.
Sweet little Rin. All grown up.
Now she was breathtaking.

Before Kakashi's stunned mind could regiseter anything she flung herself at him and hugged him fiercely.

"I missed you so much," Rin whispered in his ear.

"This must be a dream," Kakashi said shaking his head as if to wake himself up.

"It's not," Obito replied.

Kakashi turned to him, Rin still clinging to his form, and reached an arm out towards Obito. Obito smiled and took Kakashi's hand, giving it a firm shake. Kakashi pulled him close, enveloping Obito in a crushing group-hug. For the first time in years a genuine smile graced Kakashi's lips.


*******

First of all this is not a gay fic. The ending was a bit fluffy, but give the man a break!
Second of all: RRR
And lastly:

MWAH

Saicha6744 out!
Sign up to rate and review this story