Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Summer of Secrets

Chapter Five

by godessoftrees 0 reviews

Ginny begins to fear her feelings for Harry.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Ginny,Harry,Hermione,Ron - Warnings: [!!!] [V] - Published: 2010-11-24 - Updated: 2010-11-25 - 2936 words

-1MarySue
A/N: This chapter is very emotional and was very hard for me to write. I had always planned on this chapter being written just not so soon, but as with the events of the previous chapter it seemed like the right time. Please don't let this discourage you from reading this story. Ipromise it'll get better. The song in the beginning is by Evanescence and entitled /Away From Me/. Ifelt that it fit this chapter and how Ginny is feeling at the moment very well. I encourage you to read the lyrics because of how the song and the plot in this chapter fit together.




Warnings For This Chapter: cutting




Disclaimer: I own nothing. The song Away From Me belongs to Amy Lee and the rest of Evanescence.







/Away From Me/by Evanescence

I hold my breath as this life starts to take its toll

I hide behind a smile as this perfect plan unfolds

But oh, God, I feel I've been lied to

Lost all faith in the things I have achieved

And I




I've woken now to find myself

In the shadows of all I have created

I'm longing to be lost in you

(Away from this place I have made)

Won't you take me away from me




Crawling through this world as disease flows through my veins

I look into myself, but my own heart has been changed

I can't go on like this

I loathe all I've become




I've woken now to find myself

In the shadows of all I have created

I'm longing to be lost in you

(Away from this place I have made)

Won't you take me away from me




Lost in a dying world I reach for something more

I have grown so weary of this lie I live




I've woken now to find myself

In the shadows of all I have created

I'm longing to be lost in you




I have woken now to find myself

I'm lost in the shadows of my own

I'm longing to be lost in you




Away from me




Chapter Five




“Yousilly girl! Did you really think he could ever love you?” ayoung Tom Riddle sneered at Ginny. This dream was different. She was in the Chamber of Secrets as always, but she wasn't the eleven-year-old girl who had set a giant basilisk on the Muggleborn population of Hogwarts. Ginny looked like she did now and was the same age. This dream was more current.




“Harry . . . Harry loves me!” Ginny looked up at Tom with pure hatred in her eyes.




Tom chuckled. “You seem so sure. What would Harry Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived, ever see in poor little Ginny Weasley, his best friend's little sister?”




“Harry loves me,” Ginny whispered. “He loves me. I know he loves me!”




Ginny awoke with tears streaming down her cheeks. She had been at Hogwarts for two months now and the nightmares were only progressing. Lately, they revolved around Harry, which only made Ginny more dependent on him.




Climbing out of bed, Ginny wiped the tears from her eyes. She made sure her curtains were in place around her four-poster bed before she reached under her bed for the small box hidden there. Ginny put the box in her lap and opened it. Inside were an assortment of bandages, concealment cream, a paste to prevent infection, two vials of unopened dreamless sleep potion, and a razor.




Ginny picked up one of the vials, eying it not for the first time. Harry had gone to Madam Pomfrey against Ginny's wishes during their first week at Hogwarts and asked her for the potion. Assuming Harry was having nightmares again, which wasn't completely untrue, Madame Pomfrey obliged without too much inquiry. Ginny had taken the potions, but had yet to use them. She put the potion back in the box and grabbed the razor.




The metal shined in the moonlight, causing a ghostly glow. A tear fell down Ginny's cheek and onto the razor. As she willed the pain to leave, she dragged the blade across her skin. Soon the pain was gone, replaced with a throbbing in Ginny's left wrist. Ginny put the blade back in the box and hardly conscious of what she was doing, pushed it under the bed. Resting her head against the box springs, Ginny sighed in relief, finally finding peace in sleep.




H/G




Ginnyawoke with a start the next morning. One of her roommates had slammed the door to the dormitory, probably in a hurry to meet her boyfriend for breakfast. With that thought, Ginny jumped to her feet. As she got dressed, a stinging in her wrist reminded her that she had fallen asleep before wrapping her wrist the night before. Ginny took out her box and quickly bandaged her arm. She put the box back in its hiding place and pulled the sleeve of her robes down to cover her secret.




Harry was sitting in his favourite armchair in the common room, waiting for Ginny. His DADA book lay open in his lap. A piece of parchment covered a page of his textbook, while aquill was grasped in his right hand. Ginny smiled at the sight.




“Taking notes for the DA already?” Ginny came up behind him.




Harry jumped, spilling ink down his front. He scowled. “Way to scare a bloke.”




Ginny smirked. “Oh, don't be so moody.” She waved her wand and with a simple “Scourgify”Harry's robes were clean of all ink stains.




Harry put his things away and smiled. “Thank you.” He took Ginny by the arm and pulled her down into his lap. She grimaced, and, realizing her mistake, tried to cover it up. Harry noticed this though. He frowned at Ginny.




“Ginny?” Harry asked softly.




Ginny bit her lip and turned her face away from Harry. She could feel tears falling down her cheeks. Harry put a finger under her chin and turned Ginny to face him. He kissed the tears from her eyes and sighed.




“Why?”




“He said you didn't love me,” Ginny whispered.




Harry sighed. “You know that isn't true. I love you with all my heart. You know that, Ginny.”




“I know.” Ginny sobbed.




“Then why?” Harry asked.




“It was just so real.” Ginny buried her head in his chest.




“Shh, it's all right.” Harry rubbed her back. “You know you could have come to me.”




Ginny shook her head. “I didn't want to wake you. It was the middle of the night.”




Harry looked down at Ginny. “If you need me, I don't care what time it is. Two, three, four o'clock you come get me, all right?” Her eyes wouldn't meet his. Harry tightened his arms around Ginny.“Okay?”




Ginny nodded. “Okay.”




“Good. Now, let's go down to breakfast.” Harry set Ginny on her feet and offered her his arm. She managed a small smile before she took it and let him lead her out of the common room.




H/G




“Harry could have any girl of his choosing. Why would he choose you? Little, Ginny Weasley. Weak, Ginny Weasley.” Tom circled around her.




“Harry loves me. This is just a dream. It isn't real,” Ginny whispered to herself.




“A dream is it?Then why does everything I say bother you? If this is just a dream, you wouldn't be bothered by what I say.” Tom laughed.




“A dream. That's all it is. This is a dream.” Ginny shook her head.




“Stupid girl!” Tom struck her.




Ginny sat up, sobbing. For the fourth time this week, she had had the same dream. Twice, Ginny had cut herself. Twice, Harry had discovered her wounds. Once, Ginny dug her nails into her skin until she bled. Once, Harry found the scratches. She couldn't do that to him again. Finally, Ginny resigned herself to go to Harry for comfort. She slipped her dressing gown on and crept up the stairs to the boy's dormitory.




The door opened with a creak. Ginny carefully closed it behind her. She would never live it down if she was discovered in her boyfriend's dorm, in the middle of the night. Thankfully, no one woke. Neville Longbottom continued to snore and Ron continued to murmur in his sleep.




Ginny made her way slowly towards Harry's bed. She pulled the curtains back and took in a deep breath before she gently shook his arm. “Harry, Harry,” Ginny whispered.




“Go away, Ron,” Harry mumbled, rolling over.




Ginny bit back a laugh. “It's not Ron. Come on, wake up.”




Harry rolled back over and smiled. He reached for his glasses before pulling Ginny down beside him and drawing the curtains closed. “Gin, what're you doing here?”




She bit her lip. “I had a bad dream.”




Harry nodded knowingly. “D'you want to talk about it?”




Ginny shook her head. “No. Just hold me please?”




He wrapped his arms around her. “Of course.”




Ginny buried her head in Harry's chest. She hated how dependent she was on him. What if Harry went away? Where would Ginny be then? She knew she couldn't allow herself to lean on him any further. The thought of depending on Harry fully frightened Ginny. The last time she had been so dependent on someone or something had been in her first year. Ginny allowed herself to relax into his hold for the moment, knowing what she must do tomorrow.




H/G




The[**]spot beside Ginny was empty the next morning. She sat up straight, her pulse quickened. Harry had left, just like Ginny knew he would. Tears began to roll down her cheeks. Ginny pulled her knees up to her chest and rocked back and forth in the feeble position.




“Ginny?What's wrong?” Harry sat down beside her, pulling her into his embrace. Ginny flung herself at him, gasping for breath, “Ginny, calm down before you hyperventilate. Here.” Harry disappeared into the adjoining washroom and returned with a glass of water. She gratefully took the glass and gulped down the water.




“I woke up and you weren't there,” Ginny whispered after Harry took the glass back from her.




“Oh, Gin. I'm sorry. I wanted to get a shower before the others woke up,” Harry apologized.




“It's all right. I was just being stupid,” she muttered to herself. Looking up now, Ginny noticed Harry's hair was wet and he smelled like soap.




“No, you weren't. You were scared. That's completely understandable. But we should get out of here before your brother finds us.” Harry pulled Ginny to her feet.




They were among the first ones to appear at breakfast. Ginny took a piece of toast while Harry piled his own plate high with food. She was quiet throughout the meal and as soon as she was finished eating she left for class. Ginny wasn't acting like herself, but Harry wrote this off as a result of the recurring nightmares. He didn't know just how right he was.




H/G




Thatnight, Harry and Ginny sat beside each other, concentrating on their homework assignments. She was sitting further away from him than usual, though it was hardly enough to be noticed by anyone else. Harry was concerned about Ginny, but didn't want to push her away by asking too many questions. She was thankful for this but knew that she still had to follow through with her plans.




Around eleven o'clock, Ginny scooped up her books and said goodnight to Harry, disappearing into her dormitory before he could say anything. He frowned to himself, but expected for her to appear at his bedside later that night.




H/G




Thenext morning, Harry waited for Ginny to come down. At nine o'clock, he gave up and went down to the Great Hall. Ginny was there finishing her breakfast. She looked up when she saw Harry and quickly ate the last bite of porridge. As soon as he sat down beside her, Ginny excused herself and hurried off for class. Ron and Hermione frowned at him from across the table.




“Don't ask me. She's been like this ever since last night.” Harry shrugged his shoulders.




“Did you do anything to make her mad?” Hermione asked gently.




“No. I don't know what I did. I can't think of anything.” Harry spread some marmalade over a piece of toast.




“That's a witch for you,” Ron nodded, “getting mad at you and then not telling you why or what you did. Ow!”




Hermione glared at him. “I'm sure she's just stressed with schoolwork is all.”




Ron nursed his leg under the table. “Yeah. I'm sure that's all it is.”




Harry finished his meal quietly and left before Ron had finished his second helping.




H/G




“Ginny,will you talk to me?” Harry asked. The common room had long emptied out, but Ginny still sat working on her Potions essay.




Ginny didn't look up. “I'm busy, Harry. I have six more inches to write before I can go to bed.”




Harry sighed. “At least tell me what I did.”




Ginny closed her book and looked up at him. “This isn't going to work out, Harry.”




“What do you mean?” Harry gaped at her.




“We're not working out, Harry. I'm sorry.” Ginny picked up her books and hurried out of the room, leaving Harry in a state of shock.




H/G




“Whathappened?” Ron sat beside Harry while Hermione was cross-legged on the floor in front of Harry's bed.




“I don't know. I just don't know.” Harry took his glasses off and pinched the bridge of his nose.




“Well, I'm sure Ginny just needs some space is all.” Hermione played with a string on the end of her robes.




“Just like you were so sure she was overstressed?” Ron asked.




“Ron, this is hardly the time or the place!” Hermione glared at him.




“Well, where is the right place?” Ron protested.




“I'm just trying to help Harry.” Hermione frowned.




“Maybe Harry doesn't want your help,” Ron argued.




“And what is that supposed to mean?” Hermione stood up.




“Just what I said!” Ron jumped to his feet.




“Neither one of you are helping!” Harry got off the bed and stormed out of the dormitory.




“Now see what you did!” Hermione shouted.




“What I did? What about you?” Ron yelled back.




The door slammed shut, leaving Ron and Hermione to fight on their own.




H/G




“Whatshould I do, Hedwig?” Harry sighed.




Hedwig hooted in reply, nipping at his ear.




The door to the Owlery clicked closed, causing Harry to look up.




“Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't think anyone else would be here,” Cho Chang apologised.




“It's okay. I was just leaving.” Harry got to his feet. Hedwig left his shoulder and flew up to her roost.




“You don't have to leave . . . if you don't want to.” Cho took astep towards Harry.




“Look, Cho, I'm not interested.” Harry raised his hands up to stop her.




“I heard you and the Weasley girl broke up. I thought maybe you would need someone to help you get over her.” Cho smiled at him.




“I don't need any help getting over Ginny. And if I did you would be the last person on the earth I would choose.” Harry tried to get past her but Cho blocked his way. Before Harry knew what was happening, her lips were on his. A startled gasp from the doorway made Cho break away from him.




Ginny stood clutching a letter to her chest, tears forming in her eyes. As Harry watched her, one tear rolled down her cheek. Before he could do anything, Ginny bolted from the room.




“Ginny, wait!” Harry ran after her. He rounded a corner but found she was gone. Sighing in resignation, Harry decided to go down to dinner before Ron and Hermione came to look for him.




H/G




“Haveyou seen Ginny?” Ron shoveled his mouth full of food.




“Not since breakfast. And don't speak with your mouth full, Ronald, it's disgusting.” Hermione scowled at him.




Harry's heart rate quickened at this news. Ginny hadn't shown up at lunch, and now dinner? He excused himself before he raced out of the Great Hall and up to his dormitory. Harry dug through his trunk for the Marauder's Map.




“I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good.” Harry scanned the map until he found Ginny in the Room of Requirement. “Mischief managed.” He ran out of the Gryffindor common room and up to where the map had said he would find her.




Harry burst into the room and let out a cry when he saw Ginny. She was lying on the floor in a pool of blood. “Ginny? Ginny!” Harry rushed forwards and felt for a pulse. It was weak.




“Come on, Ginny. Come on. Don't do this to me. Don't do this!” Harry cradled her in his arms. “Please, don't do this. Don't leave me.”




H/G




“Mr.Potter, what happened?” Madam Pomfrey rushed over to the bed Harry had laid Ginny on.




“I found her in the Room of Requirement. Please, Madam Pomfrey, help her.” Harry fought back tears.




“I will but you need to leave, Mr. Potter. You may wait outside. I will come and get you when I am finished working on Miss Weasley. Now out.” Madam Pomfrey hurried Harry out the door.




Harry slumped against the wall outside the Hospital Wing. How could things have gotten this bad? First, Ginny had broken up with him without giving a reason, and now she had almost killed herself. What would happen to her next? How much more could Ginny go through? With these thoughts rushing through his mind, Harry laid his head on his knees and finally allowed himself to cry.
Sign up to rate and review this story