Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Simple, The Beautiful, and The Valiant

Before the War

by shamefullyyours 0 reviews

A brief introduction to Duran and Opera's character, as well as a slight insight into their behaviors and opinions about their companions.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2006-05-14 - Updated: 2006-05-14 - 624 words

0Unrated
The rain picked up. The city's nightlife seemed absent, driven away by the heavy torrents of rain that assaulted the City of Tears. The moon and its entourage of stars where also nowhere to be seen, hidden behind a field of oppressive clouds, causing the sky look like a dark cavern ceiling. Standing in the rain was one shady figure, and sitting on the porch of an abandoned building was an equally suspicious character.
Duran stood with his back to the wall, facing the aesthetic, three-story manor across the street before him. The bone chilling rain water had long seeped through his sleeves and frozen over his arms that lay lax and folded across his broad chest. His trusty, almost ridiculously large axe rested against the wall beside him, challenging him in height. He was silent, grimfaced, and placid.
Opera, on the other hand, was impatiently toying with the viciously barbed scourge resting on her lap that she had always so stubbornly refused to replace. Her silky scarlet hair still masked the right portion of her face, ending just over her shoulder blades. Her thin eyebrows were kept raised and her violet-inked eyelids low, with her lips slightly puckered. Opera was rarely found entertained for long periods of time.
Sensing his gaze without actually looking at him, she exhaled a dramatic sigh from the bottom of her lungs. Duran wordlessly returned his watch to the building before him. Opera, also sensing that her goad evicted no response, decided to complain.
"She can handle herself, you know." Her alluringly liquid voice was a stark contrast to the hypnotic drumming of the rain. Duran glanced in her direction without moving his head for only a moment before dismissing her comment. "She's probably already gone." She insisted with her feminine guile.
"She should be done by now." He growled with a short huff, speaking more to himself than his sister. "Something is not right."
"She isn't as much of a child as she appears." It almost sounded like a compliment, until the thought was finished; her cool voice was laced with an acidic tone. "But I'm sure she's helped you figure that out by now." Duran turned to give her a dismissive scowl, but she had already returned to picking at her coiled whip.
Giving a short sigh, Duran looked back to the jeweler's house. All of the windows were covered and there were no sentries posted outside. They had been waiting a solid hour; that was far too long for someone with such a reputation to pull off an amateur job.
He shoved himself off of the stonework wall with an elbow. "I'm going inside to get her."
"Why? You'll probably just mess up what little planning she has." Opera did not bother to look at her brother when speaking. "I'm not going with you." It sounded like a threat. When the massive barbarian picked up his axe and took a step further into the rain without hesitation, Opera abandoned her fascination with her scourge to shout through the rain at her brother's back. Despite the context, she managed to sound completely void of concern. "You can't just go in there alone! We were supposed to wait here for her."
He turned to shout back at her but did not pause in his steps.
"You can stay behind if you want. I'm going inside."
Opera scoffed, as if offended. She threw a glare at him as he effortlessly smashed through the shoulder-high gate surrounding the jeweler's estate. She let out a curse under her breath and began to toy with her hair in an attempt to appear uninterested. Looking at the hair in her manicured fingers, she let out another curse before hurrying into the rain.
Sign up to rate and review this story