Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Quits

Harry Quits

by scruffy1 5 reviews

My take on the classic what happens if Harry gets fed up.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry,Hermione - Warnings: [!!] [X] [?] - Published: 2011-01-09 - Updated: 2011-01-09 - 11856 words - Complete

4Original
A tale of what would cause Harry and Hermione to leave the wizarding world and what happens afterwards.


This is JKR's ball park and I'm just playing with the characters. No insult or profit is intended. Story starts as fifth year ends.


The evening Hermione arrived home from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry after her fifth year. She was sitting in the family room one of her parent's medical texts open in front of her. While her parents relaxed in the living room oblivious to her quest for information. As she read her mind flashed thoughts of, 'No not that I don't have spots on my skin... Ew that's just gross, interesting but not what I have,' as she studied the text before she stopped at a description reading it through several times a shiver passing through her before she thought, 'that's easily eliminated. I'll do that tomorrow.' Hearing her mother call her she rapidly put the book back and her happy teen girl smile on as she went to greet her parents.

Hermione's friend Harry Potter was having a different homecoming experience. His Uncle Vernon had put on a proper stiff upper lip when a group from the Order of the Phoenix chastised him at the train station when he'd picked up his nephew at the end of his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Things changed once they were back at 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey. Safely ensconced in his home Uncle Vernon's demeanor changed. Harry had been watching his uncle getting increasingly upset but he still wasn't forewarned concerning the right cross that hit his jaw as Harry turned to face his uncle after shutting the front door. It wasn't the first time he'd been struck but it was the first time it had happened so soon. Harry wasn't the scrawny malnourished individual he'd been growing up here. He was staggered by the punch but rolled with the next one and was gathering his wits when his uncle said, "Dudley I think it's time you put your schooling to use," waiving his large son, current Public School Champion boxer in the unlimited weight division forward.

Harry's cousin smiled and followed his instructor's training, avoided Harry's attempts to protect himself while using Harry's body as a heavy bag for several minutes until he had to pull Harry up before hitting him again. Dudley then switched targets landing four good punches to Harry's head before letting Harry fall to the floor.

"Help me throw him into his cupboard." Vernon said motioning to Dudley to get Harry's feet.

"What about the freak's junk?" Vernon's wife Petunia asked waiving her hand at the pile Harry had placed in the entry hall.

"Bin the lot of it and make sure that owl doesn't escape." Vernon said bring a smile to both Petunia's and Dudley's faces.

Vernon took the time to search a unconscious Harry not concerned rather he was causing more damage or not. Finding Harry's wand along with several packages of food. He snapped the wand several times. Not trusting his son around the freak's food Vernon disposed of it himself. While Dudley actually did his first bit of voluntary cleaning as he carried Harry's stuff to the trash bins doing his best to break everything contained in the trunk.

Once Vernon was satisfied Harry's presence had been eliminated except for the still breathing body under the stairs he dusted his hands saying, "Pet, Dudders and I have worked up a bit of an appetite let's go out for dinner. Perhaps by the time we get back the problem under the stairs will have resolved itself.



The next morning Hermione talked her folks in to allowing her to go shopping in London while they worked at their dental practice. She rode in with them then took off going first to a chemist. Her second stop was a public restroom. Her third was a pub for a pint. It took her close to an hour to consume that pint and get her mind wrapped around this morning's revelations. She was then ready to leave the comfort of the pub heading back into the streets of London buying a few items to deflect any questions until she was ready to inform her parents.

Hermione looked at the phone in her hand for the second time in a row she'd been hung up on when she mentioned Harry Potter it seemed that his stories about his relatives were not that far from the truth. Albus Dumbledore her headmaster had basically ordered her well actually all of Harry's friends not to contact him this summer unless he directed them too saying Harry needed time to greave for the loss of his godfather. He also expressed concern their owls could be used to locate Harry.

She shook her head at the limited knowledge the top British wizard had of the world she was currently in. As if the pure bloods could actually trace a phone call. They had trouble with the math in Arithmancy and that was a breeze compared to algebra The more she compared the magical world to this world with an increasing critical eye... well she still had a few years of study left before making a firm decision. Hermione thought then feeling increasingly odd she went to relax. Her parents would be at their dental practice for a few more hours allowing her time to recover before she had to put on the happy teen girl persona they expected from their only daughter.

Dan Granger was off at his normal Sunday morning golf outing as Hermione and her mother sat drinking their morning tea and relaxing. Deciding to confront the issue head on Hermione said, "Mum, I'm pregnant," just as her mother took a sip.

Whatever Emma Granger had been expecting her daughter to say this was not it. After doing a classic spit take that she was sure her daughter had deliberately caused Emma took a deep breath forcing herself to take her time and not have a knee jerk response. A moment later after she'd gathered herself Emma said, "I take it you're sure of your facts."

"Yes, two positive pregnancy tests. One yesterday and one just now."

"I'll make an appointment with a doctor for you to confirm this. My main questions are how will this affect your schooling and what are your plans to deal with everything?" Emma asked knowing her daughter wouldn't have told her without have answers to those questions.

"First I plan to keep the baby. I'm not sure of my schooling. My guess is I'll need to drop out of Hogwarts. I've noticed every year a few of the older girls don't return, probably for the same reason. I'm hoping I'll find some normal classes I can take nearby. At least until the little one makes an appearance."

"What about the father have you notified him?" Emma asked praying there was only one person to notify.

This was the first obstacle Hermione had envisioned when she'd thought about this discussion. Ever since she'd known about her condition she'd alternated between telling or not telling her parents the answer. Right now she was in a telling mood. "Harry is unaware of this." At her mother's raised eyebrow she added, "I've tried to call him twice without success and owling is not possible until Hedwig shows up to carry my letter."

"So how did this happen I distinctly remember a discussion we had where you assured me this would never happen to you."

"It was a really bad year at school for all of us especially Harry. Close to the end of the year a group of us forced Harry to let us accompany him when he went to the Wizarding Ministry building to save his godfather. The short version is the whole thing turned out to be a trap. I along with everyone else was hurt. Harry's godfather was killed and two of the four other people that went with us turned on Harry and blamed him for their injuries despite the fact they forced Harry to take them with us. Combine all this with the knowledge that last year ended with Harry taking a fellow champion's dead body back to Hogwarts after he'd been killed just for being in the wrong place with Harry. All this drove Harry over the edge and he began to fall apart." Hermione stopped talking and looked at her mother who was watching her impassively. "Mum I knew there was a risk. I was on a potion to prevent this but I was also on a strong healing potion and I remembered your comments about drug interactions. But Harry needed me and to be honest I needed him."

"So you and Harry..." Emma said prompting.

"Yes"

"Was he..." Emma hesitated not wanting to say worth it choosing instead to continue with "concerned for you?"

A big smile lit Hermione's face as she replied, "Very, it hurt at first of course and I had a difficult time convincing him to continue. I actually thought he was thinking about heading to one of the towers and jumping off for having hurt me but I locked my ankles behind his back and... encouraged him. You were right things do get better with practice."

"I take it there was more than one occurrence."

Hermione's voice was almost dreamy when se replied, "Oh yes, definitely more that one."

Emma reminded herself that Hermione wasn't standing there holding a kitten, her daughter was on the way to becoming a mother. Deciding to get back to the current problem Emma said, "Let's talk about what we do now. I think you need to tell your father about this."

"Can't you do it for me?" Hermione asked not wanting to see the disappointment in her father's eyes.

"No it's time for you to be a woman Hermione. I'll be by your side but you need to do this."

"Alright, but it's not going to turn out well." Hermione said. While her mother couldn't help to add in her mind, 'How right you are.'

Four hours later after a nice lunch of fruits and vegetables Hermione waited until her father was seated in his living room chair before she broached the subject. He sat impassively as she went through everything she'd talked about with her mother this morning. When she finished Dan Granger sat looking off into space his eyes fixed on nothing for several minutes before he appeared to gather himself before saying, "I think a visit to the father is in order."

"Dad..."

"No Hermione, you said he was a caring and responsible. It's time to see how caring and responsible he really is. Do you know where he lives?"

Hermione wanted to protect Harry and reply no but her urge to see her lover overrode the rebellion her father's attitude brought out. "Harry lives with his aunt and uncle at 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey." Hermione replied.

Dan pulled out his ever-present atlas consulting it for a minute before saying, "Just as I thought it looks like a two hour trip if we start now. That will give us time to meet his family, take him out to dinner, allowing your mother and I to get a measure of him." His rising and heading upstairs was the signal for both Hermione and her mother to prepare for the two hour trip. Twenty minutes later Hermione sat in the back seat of her father's pride and joy a 1990 XJR-S V-12 Jaguar in British racing green. Her father assured his wife he loved her more that the Jaguar but on occasion both her and Hermione had their doubts about who was the apple of his eye. Hermione didn't understand the male fascination with cars but she did notice the instant respect her father received when they arrived anywhere in this car. Her mother's car, the one they normally used, was a Mercedes but it didn't garner the instant respect this one did.

Lost in her own thoughts about this car, Harry and their futures. Hermione missed several quiet discussions taking place in the front seats in the shorthand most married couples develop to keep sensitive topics from their children.

When the car stopped in front of a modest house identical to every other house on this street Hermione didn't have to asked if this was the right place. She could feel it. There was something really off but she couldn't put her finger on in and that irritated her. Hermione started to get out of the car but stopped as her mother said, "Let your father get him. He's going to invite Harry out to dinner with us. There is no way, given what you've said over the years, that we want his relatives in the middle of this discussion."

Dan Granger's knock was answered by a bone thin woman, "Mrs. Dursley?" Dan inquired.

"Yes," she answered hesitantly carefully noting the well-dressed man in front of her and a well polished obviously expensive car sitting at the curb.

"My daughter is a friend of your nephew and we would like to take him out to dinner." Dan knew something was wrong the instant he mentioned nephew. The woman before him took an obviously unintentional and quickly suppressed glance towards the stairs visible behind her. Her gritted teeth reply of, "He never showed up after school," betrayed the amount of stress in her at making that remark to the well-trained dentist.

Dan also knew that remark was a lie having personally witnessed Harry's uncle pick him up at the train station when he was picking up Hermione. "Mrs. Dursley do you have any idea where he might be?" Dan asked the glance towards the stairs was missing this time unless one caught the telltale twitching of her neck muscles.

"I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude but I must get back to my husband's dinner. He's due home shortly and likes to have his dinner on the table waiting." Petunia Dursley said shutting the door in Dan's face.

Back in the car Dan looked at Emma the question obvious. "Make the call I'd rather be embarrassed than sorry we didn't act." Emma said firmly watching her husband pull out the cell phone they kept in the car for emergencies.

A long 15 minutes later a police patrol car pulled up behind the Jaguar just as Vernon Dursley pulled his Rover 800 into the short driveway. Seeing the police behind the Jaguar and assuming it had been pulled over in front of his house Vernon walked over asking, "What's going on here this is a quiet neighborhood."

"This gentleman came to pick up your nephew." The officer said motioning towards Dan who had been bringing the officer up to day with what he knew.

"He's not here the fre... boy ran off after cleaning out my refrigerator and wallet." Vernon said firmly turning and heading for his front door.

"Interesting," the officer said to his partner then added, "Get him over by the car and keep him quiet. I'm going to see what story his wife tells me."

The second officer had a bit of trouble but he was experienced and soon had Vernon standing by his car. Watching his partner question the lady of the house. "I have a warrant allowing me to search this house if you'll join your husband over by the car I'm sure I can clear this up quickly."

"I have food on the stove that needs tending." Petunia announced turning to head back in.

"That's all right I'll just shut everything off." The officer said taking her elbow and escorting her over to join Vernon. Once there he passed Vernon the search warrant before turning and entering the house.

"Check the stairs. When I asked her about Harry she glanced in that direction." Dan Granger announced just as the officer entered getting a nod of acknowledgement in return.

Five minutes later sirens could be heard approaching Privet Drive causing Vernon and Petunia to make a break for their car. Shocked the officer watching them could only restrain Petunia as Vernon twisted out of his grasp. His call of stop had just passed his lips when Dan Granger hit Vernon in the gut with his right shoulder driving through him his feet still moving as Vernon folded around Dan's shoulder before falling to the ground gasping for air.

Noting Vernon was stationary in a fetal position the second officer looked at Dan asking, "Rugby?"

"All Conference in College," Dan replied his pride obvious.

"Thought so, thanks for the help." The officer replied before turning his attention to watching the ambulance pull up along with three more police cars.

Petunia was beside herself noticing the blinds and curtains of her various neighbors being moved subtly as they took note of the goings on. She'd be the talk of the neighborhood for weeks because of that freak.

The first officer appeared at the door of the house waiving the ambulance attendants inside the house. Prompting most of the newly arriving officers to follow. Two of them rapidly exited the home and within moments Vernon and Petunia were cuffed and sitting in the back of different police cars. Vernon after he finished dumping the contents of his stomach thanks to Dan's tackle.

Once those two were dealt with Petunia's whimpering could be heard as police tape was quickly placed over every entrance to the house including all windows securing it.

While all this was going on the ambulance attendants made several trips between their ambulance and the house finally emerging what felt like hours after they entered to Hermione but was closer to five minutes. One police officer held an intravenous bag in the air as the attendants wheeled the stretcher down the walk.

"Harry!" Hermione screamed breaking free of her father's hold she raced across the small lawn only to be stopped by one of the officers escorting the stretcher.

"Miss let the medics do their job," The officer said trying to calm the teen.

"I've got to see him." Hermione said noticing the only part of Harry visible was a bit of his hair as he was covered and braced very well.

The officer caught the shake of the medic's head as he helped his partner put the stretcher in the back of their ambulance causing him to say, "I understand Miss but wouldn't it be better to let them attend to your friend without you being in the way?"

By this time Hermione's parents had caught up with her. Dan took her by the elbow saying, "Come on princess they are getting ready to leave and if we're going to follow them to casualty we need to get into our car now."

Hermione spun from the Police officer to look up into her father's eyes. "Yes we'll stick with him until I know what his condition is." Dan said realizing his plans for the young man who'd gotten his little girl pregnant were undergoing a drastic revision. He'd intended to give him a rough time but from the reaction of the police and medics the young man had already endured more than he'd wanted to give him.

At the Greater Whinging hospital Dan's query's led to the three of them sitting in a room with a nurse and her clipboard. "I understand you know the John Doe we just received."

Hermione looked confused for a moment until her mother spoke up saying, "We just followed an ambulance carrying my daughter's boyfriend here. Hermione would you describe Harry for the nurse?"

"He's a bit taller than I am with black hair and the most gorgeous green eyes. He also has a lightning bolt shaped scar on his forehead."

"Sounds like our John Doe. You said his name was Harry?"

"Harry James Potter." Hermione said speaking up her confidence in her facts obvious.

"How well do you know Mr. Potter, Miss? Does he have any family?"

"I'm Hermione Granger and these are my parents Dan and Emma. I've been Harry's best friend since we started school together, we were both eleven at the time. His Aunt and Uncle were the ones who caused his injuries." Hermione said getting angry at the treatment of her Harry.

"Does he have any other family?"

"No his parents died when he was one and his godfather died this year just before school ended."

"Right I need to get an individual from child services here then. Can you stick around for a while incase we need more information?"

"We'll be here for a while my daughter is quite concerned about her friend." Emma said resting her hand on Hermione's arm.

As the nurse walked out they heard her mutter in reply, "As are we all."



Back in Little Whinging Mundungus Fletcher arrived back at 4 Privet Drive and took a quick look around not noticing the police tape across all the openings into the house before settling back into a niche overflowing with cushioning charms thinking, 'You pulled one off mate took a bit of time but given your double shifting here from noon to midnight no one should notice you disappearing for a few hours to tend to business.' None the wiser about all that had transpired in his absence.

It wasn't until Alastor Moody's shift at 6 am the following morning that anyone noticed the empty house with police tape covering all entrances. He didn't get a chance to investigate as a police van pulled up shortly after his arrival and the crime scene analysts unloaded their equipment and suited up remarking, "Heck of a way to start the day."

The reply of "At least it isn't a murder investigation yet." Had Alastor paying close attention knowing he'd be reviewing this memory in Dumbledore's pensive once he left. Half an hour later Alastor apparated to Hogsmeade, picked up the broom he kept stashed at the Hogshead pub and flew to the concealed outside entrance to the Headmasters office only he and a few select others knew of.

Entering Dumbledore's office the retired master Auror was greeted with, "Alastor are you not scheduled to be on watch at Harry's home?"

"Aye that I am. It seems there is no one there. I didn't figure I'd waste my time watching their grass grow."

"They went on vacation?"

"In a manner of speaking. If the conversation I overheard was true the Dursleys are in jail and Harry is in the hospital."

"What?" I need to see your memory of that conversation." Dumbledore said firmly.

"You know the rules Albus. You see one of mine I get to see one of yours." Alastor Moody countered.

Albus looked at his long time friend weighing the need before saying, "Agreed." Moody pulled the memory strand away from his head and dropped in Dumbledore's pensive. Minutes later Dumbledore emerged saying, "This is the worse news I've received in a while. Did you hear where Harry was taken? There was not a word about it in that memory."

"No, not a hint. Now one of your memories if you don't mind." Moody said.

"How about Harry's sorting?" Dumbledore offered.

"How about your defeat of Grindelwald?" Moody countered citing the memory he'd been after for years.

"As always no. How about the fight at the ministry this year, at least my portion of it?" Dumbledore offered in counter.

"That will do." Moody allowed his auror instincts coming to the fore. He knew any information about fighting was always useful even to one who was supposedly retired. He carefully watched Dumbledore extract that memory before entering the memory.



At the hospital Hermione sat holding Harry's left hand his right still bandaged along with most of his torso. The steady beep... beep of Harry monitors reflected the drip... drip of his intravenous fluid bags. She was thinking back to the events of this spring and how everything came about. It started after their return from the Ministry. After being treated by Healer Pomfrey on the school's hospital ward for a few days she'd been sent back to the dorm and observed the last barriers Harry had protecting his mind crumbling. Hermione was convinced someone needed to do something to help him so as he left to walk Hogwarts corridors, something he'd taken to doing for hours on end over the last few days. She rose and started to follow him only to be stopped by the three Gryffindor Quidditch chasers.

"Where are you going Hermione?" Katie Bell asked.

"Harry needs someone to look after him and I don't see anyone else doing it." Hermione said firmly.

"Not so fast Hermione, there's a reason no one's looking out for him. We want to make sure you understand and are ready for everything that will be involved in taking care of Harry." Angelina Johnson said looking at Hermione.

"What do you mean? I've taken care of Harry and Ron ever since Halloween of our first year here."

Alicia Spinnet sighed, "Hermione, Harry still feels responsible for Cedric dying last spring and now feels responsible for his godfather also. That young man is going to need more that just a patch job this time. He's going to need everything a woman can give him just to allow him to function. If it's the right witch he'll grow into the great wizard he can become. If it's the wrong witch Merlin help the wizarding world."

"Are you the right witch Hermione?" Katie asked.

Seeing the girl before them was confused Angelina decided to lay it on the line. With a wave of her wand she created a privacy shield around them then said, "Hermione you are close to two boys. Ron and Harry. If you go to Harry now you need to realize this is a life choice. Whoever goes to him now will need to be with him and only him forever. That's why none of us have approached Harry. We've talked it out and see three futures for Harry. The first future is no one goes to help him and he continues to crumble eventually committing suicide and if the rumors are true leaving us all with a Dark Lord as ruler subjecting us all to his every whim. The second future we see and the one we are working hard to avoid is should the woman that rescues Harry ever leave him for another. There is a very strong possibility in this future Harry will become a worse Dark Lord than the one we currently have. The third and final future we see is whoever rescues Harry becomes Mrs. Harry Potter standing by him for the rest of their lives with all that implies, life mate, mother to his children, etc.

"I don't know what your life goals are Hermione but you need to realize no matter how great a witch you become no matter what success in life you have if you choose to go to Harry now you will be know as either Mrs. Harry Potter, wife of the boy who live and hopefully the man who won, for the rest of your life or you will be know as the girl who created the Dark Lord Potter." Alicia said finishing up.

Sitting back down in the chair Hermione looked up at the three witches in front of her. "You're serious."

"Very."

"Alright I'll think this through." Hermione said rising and going up to her dorm room where she climbed on her bed and pulled the curtains closed. She recalled one of the things her mother had talked about doing when she was considering marriage. Pulling a piece of parchment out she first wrote Mrs. Ronald Weasley and thought hard on all that meant to her. Next she wrote Mrs. Harry Potter and thought on that name. she was amazed how different the two names made her feel. After the initial giddiness of writing Mrs. anyone Hermione realized Mrs. Weasley felt like a burden she'd endure but Mrs. Potter made her smile. Still she was sixteen did she really need to make a life long decision now? If the other girls were right to be Mrs. Potter she did. Hermione tried out a few other names, Mrs. Neville Longbottom, Mrs. Justin Finch-Fletchley among them just to see what they felt like but none affected her like the first two had. On a whim she wrote her own name, Miss Hermione Granger and suddenly she realized she didn't feel like that person either. Not knowing what to do she sat contemplating her future until she fell asleep. She awoke the next morning realizing she needed to start her homework for Transfiguration pulling a clean sheet of parchment out she wrote her name at the top like always and started in working. It wasn't until she was seated in the library copying her marked up draft to the final version that she realized she'd written Mrs. Harry Potter at the top of her draft.

That afternoon when she saw Harry leave the common room she rose and followed him giving a nod to the three chasers whose eyes were following her.

She caught Harry and dragged him to the room of requirement where after pacing back and forth the requisite three times thinking she needed a place to heal Harry she opened the door to find a warm actually cozy wood paneled living room setting with a fireplace, couch and a door to another room. Hermione sat him down on the couch asking, "Harry tell me what's bothering you and don't say your standard "Nothing" or "I'm fine," this is me you can talk to me I will keep your secrets."

Harry thought for a few moments before deciding Hermione was right he needed to talk this out. "You win, right after our trip to the ministry Dumbledore told me a prophecy."

"And?"

"The basic point is only I am able to kill Voldemort."

Hermione thought one of her father's often unvoiced comments when he looked into a patient's mouth, 'It sucks to be you.'

"I know what you're thinking I can see it on your face." Harry said.

"Why did he wait until then to tell you?"

"He said he wanted me to have a normal childhood. The thing is if he had told me first year when I asked I could have been preparing to fight him. Plus I wouldn't have taken the cup with Cedric or paid attention to the nightmares about Sirius."

"Oh, Harry." Hermione said tears welling up in her eyes.

"That bastard, if he'd only told me when I asked first year they would still be alive!" Harry screamed in pain.

She held him while he cried for Sirius and Cedric she watched him dry his tears then summon Dobby asking Dobby to bring them some food and drink. The house elf complied and Hermione realized she'd have to make house elf liberation a long-term project. When they were fed and Harry re-hydrated they talked about the future then Harry kissed her. They broke apart for mere seconds before they both dove back to each other Harry's hands sliding down her back until they cupped her bum and pulled her against him. The thought of 'Oh this is what they meant by needing everything a woman can give,' crossed her mind before another squeeze of her bum drove most thoughts from her mind other than, 'more please.'

When they took a break Hermione found the other door the room had created opened into a bedroom complete with a large comfortable looking bed. The two of them shifted their activities in there and found it far easier to remove the rest of their clothes once they were horizontal. This was followed by several occasions where either Harry or Hermione prayed the room had silencing charms on it as their partner was rather loud. They didn't fallen asleep until the waking hours of Friday morning. Hermione first realized the time when Dobby showed up with breakfast. She decided it would be useless to try and attend Friday's classes without any sleep and convinced Harry to join her in sleeping in and skipping a day of classes of course other fun things intervened during the day and they ended up spending the entire weekend in the room of requirement. Dobby brought their meals and assured Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall, head of Gryffindor house, that Harry and Hermione were well and Harry was feeling better every time they asked the diminutive elf.

Monday morning after a private breakfast served by Dobby Hermione and a smiling Harry emerged from the room of requirements dressed and ready for a day of classes. When transfiguration, their first class, ended Professor McGonagall said, "Mr. Potter, Miss Granger you will stay after class." They didn't bother replying it had been obvious when they missed Friday's classes that their head of house was not going to be happy with them. What was surprising was she waited this long to say something. "Mr. Potter you seem to be in a much better mood than the last time I saw you."

"Yes Professor."

"Care to share with me what happened?"

"Hermione helped me think things through. I've a better outlook now. May we go to our next class?" Harry said smiling at his head of house.

"Of course Mr. Potter." McGonagall said watching the two stand as they turned she added, "Miss Granger?"

Hermione turned and Harry stopped at the door to wait for her.

With a wave of her wand McGonagall cast a silence spell identical to the one the chasers used four days ago before saying, "Given your ability to help Mr. Potter perhaps you should consider a career as a healer Miss Granger."

The Gryffindor in Hermione came out as she replied, "Professor all I did was shag him senseless for three days. He's a teenage boy of course he feels better now," before she turned walked up to Harry and took his arm as they went to their next class.

Hermione smiled at the memory of her Head of House's expression dropped jaw when she'd explained herself. Of course when they showed up in the great hall hand in hand both of the younger Weasleys went off but her fears of Harry reverting because of Ron's reaction were unfounded as Harry told the git to sod off and leave if their closeness bothered him. The three chasers cornered Hermione that night taking her up to the sixth year girl's dorm room where she was questioned extensively about the time she and Harry were missing. Hermione smiled at most of the questions refusing to answer the ones seeking details but the story of being confronted by McGonagall and her reply had all the girls present laughing for quite a while. Just as they would calm down Hermione's description of what their head of house's face at Hermione's reply would send one of them off into another laughing fit and the rest would follow. As Hermione was walking to her dormitory room she heard a spell being cast behind her. She dropped, spun and fired a stunner back. A thump told her she'd hit something. With her wand out and another stunner on her lips she carefully approached the still form. Seeing the stunned form of Ginny Weasley Hermione made a quick decision and after gathering her things for tomorrow she left the girls tower and entered the boys where she gathered Harry. Together they returned to the room of requirement for the night.

Of course the next morning they were summoned to the headmaster's office where Dumbledore tried to guilt trip both of them into breaking up. It didn't work but they were forbidden to spend any more nights in the room of requirement despite both Harry's and Hermione's claim they were using the room for safety. That night as they went to bed in their dormitories both her and Harry cast alarm wards around their beds. It turned out to be good precautions by the time they went down for breakfast each had left a stunned and bound Weasley laying under their bed.

A pressure in her hand brought Hermione out of her recollections. Harry's hand had moved and squeezed hers. "Harry don't move and don't try to talk. I'm going to push the call button for a nurse. I had to promise I would call them if I noticed any movement before they'd let me sit with you." Hermione said reaching over and pressing the button attached to his bed sheet.

The nurse quickly entered and left with a doctor arriving several minutes later. "Mr. Potter welcome to Greater Whinging hospital I'm Doctor Roberts and you've had a rough few days. I can tell you have some questions so if the young lady will give us some privacy I'll try to answer any questions you have."

Hermione started to rise only to stop as Harry held her hand in a death grip. "Harry that's too tight." She said reaching down to free her hand.

"Stay." Harry croaked out the word his mouth not used to speech having not spoken since his uncle's attack.

"Harry what did I say about talking?" Hermione replied glaring at Harry who glared right back gesturing with his eyes to the chair she was attempting to leave.

After watching them for a moment Dr. Roberts said, "I believe he wants you to stay."

"He does but you wanted to talk to him alone."

Dr. Roberts smiled saying, "In this case I believe the patient's wishes come first. I believe if you stay you can do a better job of reading his reactions than I can."

Hermione nodded sitting back down.

"Mr. Potter all things considered you are actually in remarkable shape. You have very few soft tissue injuries."

Harry glanced downward at his body then at his arms before looking back at the doctor. "I did say soft tissue. Whoever beat you up cracked most of your ribs, broke both arms and cracked your skull. The police will be in here shortly to talk about just who did this. My concern is getting you back on your feet. Depending on how fast you heal and where you go after here you might be able to leave in a week or so. I'd thank this young lady if I were you. Her parents were your saviors. If you'd been left alone another day you might not have made it." The doctor said before turning and leaving the two teens alone.

Hermione waited until the next day when Harry was more alert and after checking they were alone she said, "Harry my folks and I were coming to tell you something when we found you." A deep breath later she added, "I'm pregnant you're going to be a daddy."

Harry had been watching her and using his one working hand tried to pull her close. Once Hermione figured out what he was trying to do she moved closer to hear him mumble, "Marry me?"

"Harry we don't have to get married just because I'm pregnant. You can get well and go back to Hogwarts."

"I love you. I was planning to ask you to wear my promise ring after my birthday." Harry replied his voice a bit stronger.

"Alright Harry I love you too." Hermione said wanting to wait for a proposal when Harry wasn't so drugged up. Catching him looking around at all the things attached to him Hermione added, "You're still at Greater Whinging hospital. Dumbledore showed up your first day here when you were still out. He intended to obliviate a few people and take you to Madam Pomfrey. My parents took him aside and had a long talk explaining just how the muggle medical system worked now. When Dumbledore realized he'd have to obliviate most of the hospital and clean out computer records that only a very few knew where they were kept. He gave up and decided to allow you to be treated muggle style."

"Guards?"

"Not that I am aware of. I suspect there is someone that checks in occasionally but other than seeing an odd looking nurse now and then..."

Harry and Hermione both looked at each other saying. "Tonks."

"It's possible I don't see the odd nurse do any actual nursing work, well other than check your chart." Hermione added.

"So tell me about how you found out you were pregnant." Harry said turning and listening as Hermione told her tale debating as she did before finally telling him they'd found Hedwig dead. Harry shed a few more tears at the loss of his familiar but the events of the last month had hardened him.

---

A few days later Dan Granger helped Harry into the living room of his family's home. "Mr. and Mrs. Granger I didn't mean to intrude and make you and your wife take care of me when I asked about leaving the hospital."

"Nonsense Harry, it was time for you to leave that hospital besides this way Hermione gets practice in taking care of someone." Emma said speaking up.

An embarrassed Harry Potter looked at his soon to be mother in law and opened his mouth only to stop when Hermione said, "Shut it Harry she's right. Besides she always said it takes two and I was a willing participant."

"Quite willing from what you've told us." Emma added in a sotto voice.

"Well yes." Hermione replied.

Their conversation was interrupted by Dumbledore's arrival with Madam Pomfrey. "I'm here with the School's healer to take Harry back to Hogwarts for treatment." Dumbledore said formally.

"I'm sorry you bothered but Harry will be unable to receive wizarding treatment. As I told you previously Harry's condition is too well documented in our medical system for him to be able to receive any miraculous healing without difficult questions being asked. He will have to stay with us for the remainder of the summer." Dan Granger said.

"But surely the boy deserves to be healed properly." Madam Pomfrey said.

"And he will but only by means known to our world. You and your... friends did a bang up job of protecting him." Emma said with a glance at Dumbledore when she mentioned friends that left no doubt in anyone's mind that was not the word she was thinking at the time. "Now I suggest you leave. My husband and I have been given emergency custody of Harry pending a court hearing and I believe your continued presence is not conducive to his recovery." She added finishing up standing at the front door, which she opened in case they didn't understand her hint.

Madam Pomfrey looked at Harry who nodded his agreement with Mrs. Granger causing the healer to mutter, "So be it, just don't come running to me when you arrive at Hogwarts asking me to fix something I could have taken care of here." as she followed Dumbledore out of Harry's hospital room.



"The doctor was pleased with the speed of your recovery and if it keeps up you might be in shape to have those casts removed around your birthday." Dan said.

"I'll be sixteen then..." Harry said trailing off as he thought about the wizarding age of adulthood being 17 and the English age being 18.

"Yes and eligible to marry in Scotland, France and a few other places." Dan added.

"Hermione do you want to? I know it's a bit quick but I'd love to if you're willing." Harry asked.

"Of course I'll get started and find out just what we need to do. Does Scotland work for you I'm sure if necessary we can claim residence as Hogwarts is in Scotland." Hermione replied smiling at the thought of her wedding.

Harry thought for a moment before asking, "I can get around now is it possible for me to visit Gringotts?"

"Why do you need to go there?" Hermione asked.

"I've asked the love of my life to marry me and I need to get her an engagement ring at the least. I also want to check out how much money we have to live on."

"Alright we'll go tomorrow but you'd better be ready for the stares you're going to get if anyone sees a ring on my finger," Hermione said.

The following afternoon the Grangers returned home after picking up the teens an obviously despondent Harry sitting in the back sea with Hermione holding him.

"That bad?" Emma asked from the front passenger's seat.

Looking and getting a nod of permission from Harry Hermione said, "Yes, Harry found out he had some family vaults and it turns out the people who were trusted with the keys to those vaults emptied them. The only things let in the family vaults were items they couldn't touch like the head of family rings Harry and I are wearing or stuff with no value. There was also evidence that a number of things had been destroyed rather than let Harry have them. Additional His godfather's, Sirius Black's will which left everything to Harry was declared invalid and all of the Black family's vaults, properties and any other holdings were confiscated by the ministry."

Emma turned to face Harry saying, "That must be devastating. Didn't the bank check who was accessing his family vaults?"

"No, as long as you have the key the goblins will let you in any vault without questions. All Harry had left for money was in his trust and there wasn't much there beyond what was needed to pay for two more years at Hogwarts. We suspect that would have been emptied too if they didn't want to raise questions."

Emma desperately wanted to ask how much was left but held herself in check. Harry's comment of "I emptied my trust vault, changed all the galleons in to pounds and with Hermione's help put it in her savings account. I also emptied what was left in my family vaults putting what little there was left into this bag. With Hermione living in the muggle world there is nothing left for me in the magical world," had both adult Grangers looking at each other wide eyed each wondering just what Harry was actually saying.

It was Emma who ventured, "Harry, what does Hermione's ring signify? You said the rings you found were for the head of house."

"In the non-magical world Hermione and I decided to call it an engagement ring. It actually has a number of protections built into it. Her wearing it prevents her from being found by magical means including owls, mine protects me the same way. In the magical world... well let's not bother with all that ring means. I just wish I could stop being Harry Bloody Potter for the rest of my life."

Seeing her parents exchanging looks Hermione added, "Harry and I talked all this over during out time at the banks. We're leaving the magical world behind. I think both of us passed enough owls to keep our wands but we're both tired of fighting the bigotry, the fickle nature of the press, just everything the Magical world has to offer. I mean one minute Harry is an attention seeking unstable individual that deserves to be locked up in a mental ward the next he's their golden boy. As for me I believe my name will always start with Muggle born or Mudblood depending on how crude the person speaking about me is. In the future it will only get worse. I mean with all the muggle born and half blood students to have gone through Hogwarts the one the ministry has to deal with the misuse of muggle artifacts, which is what they call it when one of them enchants a normal device to hurt a muggle, is a pure blood wizard who is fixated on rubber ducks of all things! He can barely pass as an oddball eccentric and has to memory charm most people he deals with. Where are all the individuals who were raised in the muggle world they could do his job far better and that's just one job that is perfectly suited for someone like Harry or I. To tell the truth what they did to Harry was the last straw for both of us, as far as I'm concerned they can all sod off."

"So Harry what are you going to do now?" Dan Granger asked.

"I don't have a clue. I know I need to learn a trade after all I have a family to support." Harry said with a smile at Hermione.

"May I suggest you consider entering the Queen's service, it worked out well for me."

"Daddy," Hermione said slightly upset at her father for bringing up this topic feeling he was trying to push Harry into something.

"No Hermione, Harry is beginning to face facts. He needs to realize that with no record of schooling after Junior School and no GSCEs, SECs, or A levels there are darn few jobs out there he is qualified for that have with any chance of advancement. I know when I was just a bit older than he is now I was in similar shoes. When I became a teen I goofed off ditching school any change I got. It wasn't until a few years later when I was facing a magistrate who gave me to option of joining the military or taking whatever he'd decided on as punishment for one of my little pranks that I realized I had to change. I joined and took every opportunity for schooling that came up I ended up in a unique situation and with a lot of help from the doctors I worked with I made it into dental school where I met your mother. All I'm saying is this is one option for Harry to consider." Dan said firmly.

"But..." Hermione started only to stop as Harry rested a hand on her arm.

"Hermione, it's an option. Your father is right and made some very good points. I admit I need a job that has potential. I don't want to do grunt work all my life and as he pointed out with my schooling there may not be many options." Harry said trying to calm his intended.



A week later Harry was looking through handouts from the various service branches. "You're going to join?" Hermione asked walking into his room. Despite their engagement the Granger's insisted on separate bedrooms until they were married. Hermione's comment of "I'm already pregnant. What are you worried about?" fell on deaf ears.

"Your father did have a good point I've been out checking what jobs I can get. The Dursley's did train me to be a gardener, cook, and housekeeper. All I got for answers was come back when the casts are off and we might need help for a few weeks. The more I checked the better the service looked."

Hermione had spent part of the time Harry was out looking for a job having long talks with her mother about her, Harry and the responsibilities of a wife. Her mother did a good job of pulling off the rose colored glasses and making her daughter face reality. If her and Harry were going to live as muggles he need a job with potential. Hermione realized she could take alternative classes while staying at home but she knew Harry and he wasn't the type to let someone else support him while he went to class. Harry would pay his way if at all possible. Realizing it was time for her to be a supportive spouse Hermione asked, "Any particular branch catch your fancy?"

"I was thinking about becoming an airman. There's less chance of getting shot at and unlike the Navy I'll stand a better chance of being stationed in England and not sailing the world. Plus I'll be close to people who fly even though I won't be able to."

"Will they take you?"

"I talked with a guy from the Royal Air Force when I picked this up. He said once I have my casts off to come back. He thinks there's a quota I might fit. The only problem is I need my guardian's permission to join and I don't know if you parents qualify."

"We can talk it over with them. We also need to talk over our wedding with them." Hermione said looking at Harry.

"You're right, I'll make dinner tonight and then we will get their input on all this." Harry said putting the pamphlet down and heading out the door.

"Hey, what about me?" Hermione said pouting slightly.

Harry smiled as he turned back and kissed her. "You are the best. I know this isn't what you planned when we left Hogwarts a few weeks ago but...." Harry said finishing with a shrug of his shoulders.

After an evening long discussion where Harry and Hermione laid out their plans going forward from here the adult Grangers agreed and the next day contacted their barrister to arrange a hearing with child services.

Surprisingly that hearing occurred within a few days. Harry, the Grangers, their barrister, and the Royal Air Force Recruiter who Harry was dealing with were in attendance. When the board asked everyone to introduce himself or herself Hermione made a point of stating she was Harry's betrothed. It rapidly came out she was pregnant and that was one of the main factors for Harry joining the air force. Seeing him trying to be responsible the child services board quickly granted approval for Harry to join the Royal Air Force pending passing all required tests. Then the head of the board said, "We also have a request for Harry to change his name."

"Yes, Mr. Potter felt it would help him put his old life behind him and increase the difficultly of any of his old associates finding him." The Barrister replied.

Nods from the other board members indicated their agreement and the paperwork was signed. As they were leaving a board member asked when the wedding was. Harry's reply of "On my sixteenth birthday someplace in Scotland," had the board granting him permission to marry in England on or after his birthday. Hermione's enthusiastic, "Harry we can get married locally now, thank you!" brought smiles to most of the board members.

The Friday before Harry's sixteenth birthday he was back at Greater Whinging hospital having his casts removed. "Mr. Potter you've healed remarkably quickly but I want you to take it easy for a while until those breaks get a bit stronger before you do any hard labor." Doctor Roberts said looking at Harry.

"Just a wedding next Saturday then I'm joining the Royal Air Force." Harry said with a smile.

Monday Harry met up with the recruiter at a local health club and did his 2.4 km run, press ups, and sit ups needed to qualify for admittance to the training program.

Wednesday was Harry's birthday and he received some unusual presents from the Granger's, stencils of his name, blank nametags, tins of shoe polish. From Hermione he received stationary, pens and pencils, and a can of Brasso. "I'm sensing a theme here." Harry said looking up from opening the latest present containing a small picture album.

"I told you he would catch on." Hermione said smiling.

"We got the list of things you need to take with you from your Recruiter. Just thought you'd like to get the small stuff out of the way before we go shopping for your clothes." Emma said a smile on her face.



At the Burrow Ron Weasley was looking at his owl in disgust as he called out, "Mum, Pig won't take Harry's birthday present to him."

"Ron I told you last night when you made that comment the first time I have no idea what's going on Dumbledore may have tightened up the wards around Harry. Otherwise have Hagrid look at your owl when you get back to Hogwarts He's always been great with any type of animal." Mrs. Weasley said doing her best to calm down her explosively tempered youngest son.

"But Mum I always send Harry something on his birthday."

"Ron relax you can give it to Harry when you get together on the express I'm sure he won't mind."

"But Mum...." Ron started to protest only to stop when his mother turned and glared at him. "Yes mum." Ron added sulking back upstairs muttering, "Useless bloody owl. Can't even take a package to my best friend."

"Your best friend? Is this the same best friend you yelled at when he came to check on us in the hospital wing once we were back at Hogwarts? The same best friend you said you never wanted to see again?" Ron's younger sister Ginny asked.

"Harry's my mate. He knows I go off and say things I really don't mean he'll forgive me besides weren't you also yelling at him?"

"Yes I was but I'm not the one sending him a birthday present like nothing happened."

"Like I said Harry's my mate. This is just like the Triwizard thing. He accepted my apology then I'm sure he'll do the same now." Ron replied confident that Harry would welcome him back after all who else would he chum around with Neville the squib?

"Do what you want. I'm going to continue on and if he wants to apologize then I might consider taking him back."

"What about the rumors about him and Hermione?"

"They're just rumors. I'm sure Hermione would never say anything like that to a Professor. Come on this is Hermione who would say crap even if she had a mouth full of it."

"She and Harry were really close at the end of last year." Ron observed.

Ginny shrugged saying, "Harry doesn't go for the clingy type look at what he did with Cho when she started hanging all over him."

Ron wasn't sure but decided it didn't matter just yet there were other pressing issues to deal with. "So what do I do with Harry's birthday present?" Ron asked getting back to his problem.

"Why don't you owl Hermione and see if she can send it muggle style?" his sister Ginny suggested.

"Hey that's a great idea. I haven't owled her yet this summer and this would avoid all that homework stuff she'd write."

"You haven't owled her this summer and you plan on getting her as a girlfriend?"

"Yea, If I'd owled she'd just gone on about how we need to do our summer homework.... Like we have any." Ron said shrugging his shoulders.

Ginny just shook her head. Her brother was so dim when it came to girls it was a wonder he was still breathing. If a male friend of hers went off on her like her brother did on Hermione she would have... well she wasn't sure just what she'd have done but it would have been painful and public to insure no other boy did that to her.

It was over half an hour later when the entire Burrow heard Ron yell, "Stupid bloody owl won't take a letter to Hermione now!"

"Ron!" his mother's voice called out warning him on his language.



Saturday August 3ed Harry, Hermione, her parents and Hermione's paternal grandparents gathered in the local magistrate's office for their wedding. Hermione wearing a white empire style wedding dress to hide her slight pregnancy bump with Emma standing as her witness while Dan stood with Harry both looking great in their black suit and ties. The wedding was short on ceremony and long on meaning for the two teens involved. Harry and Hermione chose this moment to change their names for all concerned Harry James Potter and Hermione Jane Granger walked into the magistrate's office. James David Robertson and his wife Jane Marie Robertson left the office. After a small reception complete with wedding cake that was held at a local restaurant's event room James and Jane left to spend a few days at a nearby hotel that the Granger's had booked for them.

"Now that the two newlyweds have left Emma care to let us in on just why you're allowing them to get married so young?"

"What do you think is the reason?" Emma asked her mother in law.

"I suspect we're going to become great grandparents."

"Middle of February if things proceed normally."

"What about her schooling?"

"Both her and James are dropping out of that school in Scotland. In fact that's the reason they've changed their names. It will make it that much harder for anyone from that school to find them. Your granddaughter will be taking courses locally and James is mustering into the Royal Air Force in two weeks." Emma stated in a calm matter of fact voice.

"So he's following in your footsteps Dan." Dan's father said.

"Hopefully, I told him he needed an education and the service worked for me."

"Yes well let's hope they beat the odds." Dan's father said taking another sip of the single malt scotch Dan had served after the teens had left.



At the same time in Hogwarts castle home of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry the deputy headmistress was looking at two letters containing owl test results that the ministry had forwarded to her with the note that ministry owls were unable to find the individuals. Her thoughts were interrupted when the headmaster Albus Dumbledore entered the room asking, "What's causing that expression Minerva?"

"The ministry owls couldn't find Mr. Potter and Miss Granger to deliver their owl results."

"The last I saw them was at the Granger's. They had emergency custody after he was removed from his family by their child services." Albus said calmly.

Minerva McGonagall having heard most of the tale of Harry's summer from her friend the school healer Poppy Pomfrey just smiled at his decidedly understated comment. "So why wouldn't the owls find them?"

"I'm not sure it could be a variety of reasons. Why don't you gather everything you wish to send them and tomorrow I'll see if Fawkes is willing to take it to them." Dumbledore offered his mind more occupied by the ministry reposting former high inquisitor Deloris Umbridge back to Hogwarts to teach Defense against the Dark Arts based on her remarkable success in teaching it the previous year than on the problem of owls being unable to locate Mr. Potter or Miss Granger.



Sunday August 4th Jane Robertson awoke late to find Fawkes sitting on the back of a chair waiting to be noticed. "Jim we have a visitor." She said nudging the body sleeping next to her.

"Tell them to go away."

"It's Fawkes."

"Who?" Jim mumbled still over half asleep.

"The headmaster's Phoenix." Jane explained to her husband who promptly sat up when she said headmaster.

"Oh heck, wonder want he wants." Jim said knowing he was going to have to get up now and not start the day enjoying life with a naked Jane. Sighing in defeat he pulled on a pair of shorts he found beside the bed before paddling over and retrieving the letters from Fawkes. "Looks like our owl scores and book lists for next year. Your envelope feels a bit heavy probably made prefect again." Jim said sitting back on the bed and passing Jane her letters.

"I take it you didn't?"

"Nah, not a thing other than paper in here." Jim replied hefting his envelopes.

"Wonder who McGonagall will replace me with." Jane asked looking at the badge that had fallen out of her Hogwarts letter while she looked at the one from the Ministry knowing that at one time she would have been seriously concerned with the results of her owl exams but with the changes her life had gone through they were just an interesting memento of a prior time.

"Well aren't you going to see how you did?" Jim asked glancing at her as she looked at the letter.

"Might as well." Jane said before opening the letter and glancing down at her results. "All "O's" she announced.

"I knew you could do it." Jim said leaning over giving her a kiss.

"What about you?"

"O's in Defense, Charms, Transfiguration and surprisingly Potions. Hey I pulled a "T" in History of Magic." Jim said looking over the sheet.

"How on earth did you manage a "T"? Normally if you can answer at least a question or two you'll get a "D" at the worst."

"I had the vision attack before I finished putting my name on the answer sheet. I didn't answer a single question." Jim said smiling at the grading results.

"You're pleased you got a "T" aren't you?"

"Hey I bet there were more "O's" given out than there were "T's". Might as well enjoy it I can't do anything about it now. Thanks for delivering these Fawkes. Jane and I have to figure out what to do next." Jim said watching the Phoenix disappear in flames just after he lifted off the chair back.

Once the headmaster's Phoenix was gone Jane asked, "So when do we tell them we won't be returning to Hogwarts?"

"The closer to the start of school the less hassle we will have to put up with. I'd like to wait until I was actually in the Royal Air Force before we told them."

"Well you'll be there in two weeks from Monday."

"You still going with me right?" Jim asked looking over at Jane.

"Yes Mum's going to take us over there. The paperwork said I was invited but I figured we'd check at the gate and see if she could join me for support. After all I'm a young, pregnant newlywed."

"Yes you are. Now do you want to get some breakfast or..." Jim asked wiggling his eyebrows at Jane.

"I think I'll have some of that or stuff then we can go gouge ourselves." Jane said lowering the sheet she had covering her nude form.

---

Tuesday Emma picked up Jim and Jane from the hotel as she returned home from the dental practice. "So was it relaxing?" she asked as they settled into the car.

"Oh yes we had a great time thanks for everything Mum." Jane said smiling.

"What about you Jim?" Emma asked.

Jim caught himself before he spoke then after a deep breath said, "Mum it was great. Jane and I enjoyed every minute. We even received our Owl results."

Emma was worried when Jim hesitated but him calling her mum did wonders for her feelings towards the boy. "So how did you both do?" she asked.

"All "O's" for me." Jane said.

"That is great what about you Jim?"

"I received "O's" in the courses I tried in but I actually pulled a "T" in history of magic." Jim said announcing the T with pride in his voice.

"Is a "T" good?" Emma asked trying to remember just what the grading system was she knew Jane had explained it to them at one time.

"Actually it's the lowest possible score. It stands for troll." Jane said her annoyance with Jim obvious in her tone.

"It sounded like Jim is proud of it."

"Oh, he is. Must be a boy thing," Jane replied giving Jim a glare.

"Hey not all of us are as smart as you." Jim teased reaching over and tickling Jane.

When she jumped and squealed Emma called out, "Not in the car. Save it for your room," smiling at herself as she remembered Dan tickling her under similar circumstances.



Jane had been meticulous in keeping records of her Hogwarts schooling she even had her copy of the acceptance letter with the muggle postal address for the muggle born first years to reply to Hogwarts. She and Jim made use of that address writing their withdrawal letter and posting it on Wednesday August 21st when Emma and Jane took Jim to RAF recruit training squadron at Halton just north west of London. Arriving a little before ten a.m.

Jim grabbed the new bag containing all his clothes that Dan insisted he learn to call his kit heading off following the signs directing the new arriving recruits to the processing area.

Jane followed the signs for family quickly getting approval for her mother to join her. She enjoyed both the tour and the briefing from the Squadron Commander covering what her Jim would be doing but her personal high point, and the one she made sure her mother took a picture of, was a nearly bald James swearing to protect Queen and Country.

Harry finished processing and settled in for his first night in the service while Jane and her mother rode home. "Mum I'm going to want a copy of that picture and one of our wedding to send out in a few days."

"What for?"

"I'm sure the Headmaster of Hogwarts isn't going to let Harry out of his clutches easily. I want proof that Harry and I are married and he is in the service to mail to that old fart."



Up at Hogwarts school the deputy headmistress watched a Gringotts owl bringing her the updated student listing from Gringotts bank. An earlier headmaster had simplified the payment of school tuition. Gringotts would collect the funds placing them in the schools account for a surprisingly small fee. They then forwarded the number of expected students to the school. This had worked well for years given the sliding tuition scale that fluctuated with family income, number, and sex of family members attending, they would pay more to educate boys than girls. In a number of pureblooded families the only reason girls were sent to Hogwarts was to find a husband. This year however the numbers were off and she'd had to send her list of expected students to Gringotts so they could match against who had paid to attend. After taking the list from the owl she quickly scanned through it to see who had been crossed off. 'no that can't be right. She's the top Gryffindor in her year and we can't lose him.' Minerva McGonagall thought as she looked through the list a second time hoping she'd been deceived.

She was getting up just as a second owl arrived with mail from the muggle postal drop the school kept. The letter on top caught her eye. Recognizing the handwriting from reading her overly long essays Minerva quickly opened the letter while she stood letting the prefect's badge inside drop on her desk.



Deputy Headmistress McGonagall,

We wish to inform you that we will not be attending Hogwarts School this year.

Hermione has decided to switch education goals and will be pursuing a muggle degree.

Harry has chosen to join the Royal Military and has begun his training.



Thanks for your help over the years.

Harry James Potter

Hermione Jane Potter (ne Granger)
Sign up to rate and review this story