Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Quits

Part 3

by scruffy1 35 reviews

The continuing story of what happens to Harry and Hermione.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry,Hermione - Warnings: [V] [?] - Published: 2011-01-09 - Updated: 2011-01-09 - 15535 words - Complete

5Original

"Cadet James Robertson reporting as directed," Jim said saluting as he snapped to attention after entering his Training Flight Commander's office.

Lt. Ian Walberg looked over the Cadet standing before him. While of average height he was quite slim shifting to training officer mode Ian rose from his chair behind the desk and circled Jim as he stood at attention checking Jim's uniform and posture. The ironing and polish were perfect deciding there were no major errors, nor obvious minor ones to be honest Ian said, "Relax recruit. You've been summoned to go over some irregularities in your aptitude test scores."

Feeling a response was expected Jim replied, "Yes sir, I take it there is a problem." Jim couldn't help adding the last bit as his worry rose.

"A minor one Cadet Robinson. You were admitted under an exemption created for individuals who had left the school system after Junior School. Your test results indicate a significantly higher education level than was expected. Have you attended any other schools since leaving Little Whinging Junior?"

Jim was so nervous he blurted out, "I've been attending a small public school in Scotland," before he even thought about the repercussions.

"The name?" Ian asked sitting down behind his desk and turning to face his computer.

Trapped Jim replied, "Hogwarts," not being able to think of a plausible alternative quickly. He then watched as his commanding officer hit keys and moved a mouse around as Jane had been teaching him to do just before he reporting here.

"Ah, here it is. Public school, attendance is by invitation only, non-traditional education. This does explain how you were able to do so well in some area's while your results in other were spotty at best." Ian said smiling while nodding in understanding pleased a puzzle was so quickly solved. Thinking for a moment he checked another couple of screens before shrugging. When he returned his gaze to Cadet Robinson he saw he'd caused a puzzled look on Jim's face. Lt. Walberg then said, "I just checked to see if I could tell you how many other Hogwarts students we had in the Royal Air Force. It came back blank so it looks like you're the only one."

Jim smiled saying, "Sir, thank you for checking," while the thought "If his commanding officer knew what Hogwarts full name was he'd realize why I'm the only one,' passed through his mind.

"Very good Cadet Robinson. You are dismissed," Lt. Walberg replied and with a return of Jim's salute watched him exit while thinking, 'If that young man makes it through some sergeant will have a fine airman to mold.'





The instructors and flight officers were having their weekly meeting to discuss the progress of their cadets. Lt Walberg had just been briefed on the academic progress pleased when the problem students' list did not include Cadet Robinson.

"Next any ideas on who is going to emerge as the cadet leader of this flight?" Ian asked looking around the table.

"Right now we have two older cadets, a Cadet Nolan and Cadet Bixby who are posturing to become the flight leaders. They appear to know how the game is played and are positioning themselves to become flight leader. It should be interesting to watch how the dynamics of this play out," The assistant flight leader noted.

"When are you expecting his to come to a head?" Ian asked wondering just how soon he'd be able to appoint his cadet corporals and sergeants.

"Next week on the distance task," The assistant flight leader said with a frown.

"What's your gut telling you?"

"Their fight to lead will split this flight in half causing them to fail and have to redo the task, possibly a number of times. So don't make any plans for the following weekend. If I had to be I'd bet we'd be right here running them through the task until they get it right."

"Better they fail here than in the real world. At least the last few flights were easy perhaps my wife won't be too mad when I upset her weekend plans. Any other thing of note before we adjourn?" Ian asked his staff. Getting shakes of their heads in return.



At the following weeks progress meeting Lt. Ian Walberg said, "That was an interesting week. I'd like to hear your opinions on just what happened."

"We found our cadet flight sergeant." The flight leader announced.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes sir, both Cadet Nolan and Cadet Bixby came to me separately recommending Robinson for Cadet Sergeant. I'm sure one of them is planning to replace him when he fails but I doubt he will."

"What is the basis for your confidence?" Ian asked he had his own opinion but he wanted to hear everyone else's opinion too.

"The way he took over the flight. The first task they are told a helicopter went down outside the base perimeter in hostile territory. They have to get to the crash site, recover the crew, and return to base. We leave enough junk just laying around they can bring back the crew several different ways. It went down just like I thought it would two weeks ago. Cadet Nolan and his supporters wanted to use one method, Cadet Bixby and his supporters wanted to use a second method. Neither group could go it alone so naturally it degenerated into a shouting contest with each side calling the other names. This dragged on for five minutes or so before Cadet Robinson stood up and in a firm voice that some how cut through the shouting said, "Enough."

I don't know where a sixteen year old boy learned a command voice but that boy has it. He instantly had everyone's attention with his next comment he had them in his hands. "I don't know about the rest of you but I have a wife that I want to see this weekend. I do not want to be out here redoing this task because we failed to accomplish it on time. I admit I'm no expert but I think either Nolan's or Bixby's plan will work." He then bent down and picked up two blades of grass he put his hands behind his back then brought them forward. He looked at both Nolan and Bixby then Bixby nodded towards Nolan. Nolan saw this and said, "Left."

Jim opened both hands. The blade of grass in his right was folded over making it shorter. "Sorry Bixby you got the short straw this time. Nolan you have five minutes to get us moving otherwise we're going with Bixby's plan. I don't want to see either group sabotaging the other. I've got a date with my wife Saturday and I intend to keep it!"

It was remarkable. He didn't belittle anyone he just got them united and heading in the same direction. When a few of the less fit members started to fall behind their buddies would quip, "Robinson's got a hot date pick it up."

"That's about what I saw anyone see something different?" Getting shakes of the head from the rest of his staff Walberg added, Send them home for the weekend they earned it."



In a somber chamber located under one of the great houses Severus Snape garbed in Death Eater robes approached the elevated throne were Lord Voldemort sat "Severus it has been a while since last you were in my presence. Weeks ago Lucius informed me Potter and his mudblood did not return to the halls of Hogwarts. I am concerned that you did not see fit to promptly inform me of such a significant development. I trust you have information as to the golden boy's location and what action the headmaster is taking to retrieve him." Voldemort asked looking down at the kneeling potions master.

Not daring to look up Severus said, "I have not been able to learn of the brat's location nor am I aware of any actions Dumbledore has taken to return him to Hogwarts."

"That is surprising news Severus. Can you tell me anything of interest from Hogwarts or have you become expendable?"

Severus thought quickly finally saying, "He sent Alastor Moody to track the boy down once he realized the boy was not at Hogwarts."

"What did the old Auror find?"

"Nothing my lord, as best I can determine from the limited conversations I was party to or over heard Moody was out maneuvered by someone. He refuses to say anything about his search and when I attempted to probe his mind at the headmaster's direction his violent reaction to my probe leads me to believe he was forced into a binding oath to not disclose what he'd uncovered."

"I am disappointed in your performance Severus, I expect quicker reports in the future. Return to Hogwarts perhaps you might find some tidbit that will redeem you."

Once Severus was gone Voldemort summoned Lucius Malfoy who arrived promptly going down on one knee he bowed in supplication saying, "You summoned me my Lord?"

"Lucius I wish you to find the home of Potter's mudblood. Scout it out and decide on a plan of attack. Keep me informed of your progress. This should take only a few days for a follower of your abilities."

"You wish is my command my Lord." Lucius replied backing out and then walking to the apparition area he was smiling under his mask pleased he had such an easy task, An hour later he apparated to the Granger address he'd retrieved from the Ministry of Magic Muggle-borne registration office to see an orange circle bisected by a blue banner with the word 'Underground" written on it, to the right of that on the sign was two red lines with arrows pointing in different directions. The other half of the sign was orange with "Bushey" in white letters. Lucius walked over to the muggle who was leaning against the wall asking, "Where am I?"

After a look that conveyed complete distain at having been asked such a dumb question the youth replied, "Bushey station."

"And just where is Bushey station?" Lucius couldn't avoid asking.

"Right there." the youth replied with a smile wishing it was evening with his mates around this would have been good entertainment.

The following evening Lucius sat in his study wondering what to do next he'd spent the entire day trying ever magical method he could think of locate Hermione Granger had failed. Convinced if he was unable to find her no one else could Lucius contemplated which approach would allow him to inform the Dark Lord of his failure with the minimal impact to his health.



Jim spent Friday night unable to sleep wired at the prospect of being with Jane after 4 weeks of being apart.

Saturday morning dressed in his uniform Jim checked out with the junior flight leader before grabbing his small bag with a few days worth of personal effects. Along with most of his flight he passed the base gate looking around for Jane. He saw her standing next to her father's jaguar wearing a loose fitting sleeveless flower print dress that stopped well above her knees showing a generous bit of leg. Dan Granger was standing off to the side where he could watch both his daughter and the gate without too much problem. He was thinking of the times in his own life when he'd been busting to leave the confines of his base and how hyper his daughter had been all the way here. Dan watched Jane's face light up as Jim ran up to her dropping his bag just before wrapping her up in his arms kissing her. The catcalls rang out from his flight mates along with comments about just how hot his date was. That quieted down when a voice called out from a car exiting the base, "Cadet Robinson you'd best curtail that PDA with your girlfriend."

An indignant Jane called back, "I'm his wife and he'd better be kissing me. I haven't seen him in a month!"

Ian Walberg pulled his car over to the curb and exited walking over he glanced at the couple noting they'd resumed their greeting before he noticed the man standing to the side watching the couple and him closely. Ian noted there was some thing about the man's posture that awoke his danger sense. Collecting himself he approached the couple saying, "Airman Cadet Robinson I recalled you were married just as your wife reminded me. Will you please introduce us?"

"Of course sir, Jane this is my Commanding Officer Lt. Walberg. Lt. my wife Jane Robertson."

"Pleased to meet you," Jane said not embarrassed at her comment to him earlier.

"My pleasure to be introduce to such a lovely young wife. I take it the gentleman watching us is related to one of you?" Ian replied nodding to Dan who stood watching them.

Catching the conversation Dan approached holding out his hand, "I'm Daniel Granger, Jane's father." Dan replied stifling a groan when he caught Ian's eyes lighting up as he recognized the name.

"Sir are you by chance related to the Falkland's Granger?" Ian asked.

"One and the same. However I've tried very hard to let that remain in the past." Dan replied is tone one of iron masked with polite words.

"Of course sir it was an honor to meet you, Robinson have a good weekend. Sunday night will come soon enough." Ian said before climbing back in his car and leaving.

They took this opportunity to climb into the Jaguar. Jim and Jane in the back seat. A few minutes later as Dan was entering the motorway intending to tease the couple he called back, "Knock off the kissing I don't need a graphic reminder of my only daughter's condition."

"Oh daddy." Jane said exasperated.

"Oh daddy is right, Jim how is your training going."

"Fine sir."

"Jim you're home now drop the sir I'm Dan remember?"

"Yes s... Dan, boy it didn't take them long to do a good job of making sir an automatic response." Jim noted.

"That they do. Did you have any problems because of your schooling?" Dan asked.

"Not really. Thanks to spending the first eleven years and a good portion of my summers since in this world I was fairly up to date. We played a bit of football during lunch on our museum visit and a pick up game against some locals during our community support day. That helped me fit in rather well."

"You played football?" an astonished Jane asked. From what she could remember Jim never talked about the game with anyone and she'd thought that was one of the things that would trip him up.

"Jane how many boys in your Junior School didn't play at least a little football?" Jim asked

"But Jim you never offered anytime Shamus dropped his dragon sized hints looking for someone to kick the ball around with."

"Jane the only position I ever played was Keeper. Dudley and his friends liked to kick the ball at me on the playground. As we got in to organized sports in physical education I gravitated to Keeper. My reflexes are fast and I can jump just enough to make up for being so short."

"So why didn't you kick the ball around with Shamus?" Jane asked still confused.

"Because I never kicked it like a normal player. The only two occasions a keeper regularly kicks a football is either to keep it out of their goal or to boom it into the other teams half of the field. I was free to use my hands so why not use them? I never caught the ball on my chest or dribbled it with my feet doing stuff like that just causes a keeper problems. My job was to stop any balls headed towards my net then either pass it off to one of the backs or boom it down the field."

Jane looked at Jim for a moment then asked, "So you're good enough to play with your... what do I call them anyway?"

"My flight. It's a Royal Air Force thing. And it was only a pick up game against a local school."

"So how many goals did they score on you?" Dan asked from the drivers seat.

The pride was evident on Jim's face and in his voice when he replied, "They didn't."

When they arrived at the Granger's Jim gave Emma Granger a quick greeting before leading Jane upstairs to their room where Jim took Jane in his arms kissing her with all the passion he had letting her know just how much he missed having her in his arms. Jane proved she was his equal as she returned his passion measure for measure. Jane's summer dress was quickly shed along with Jim's uniform. Jim's eyes roamed over his wife's form stopping when he noticed a slight swelling lower on her abdomen. "Is that?" Jim asked his voice barely above a whisper.

Jane had been watching Jim's eyes as they examined her so she knew what he meant. "Yes Jim that's our baby."

Jim didn't reply he just leaned over kissing her right on the swelling before tenderly kissing her lips again, when the kiss ended Jim said, "I guess we can't?" as he wiggled his eyebrows.

"Wrong Mr. Robinson we most definitely can." Jane replied firmly.

"I thought?"

"Leave the thinking on this to me. I checked with my midwife and we're good up to about my 9th month. The only thing you need to bear in mind is the girls are a bit sensitive and will get more so."

Jim's face conveyed his confusion causing Jane to add, "Jim they're growing. If I'm going to feed your kid I need to get a bit bigger up top. These won't hold enough milk."

"I think they're beautiful whatever size they are Jim said smiling at her before he pulled her down on to the bed with him.

The young couple appeared downstairs messed and rumpled for a quick bite at lunch time before running back up to their bedroom accompanied by chuckles from both Dan and Emma. "Remember when we were first married?" Emma asked her eyes twinkling as she watched the two disappear upstairs.

Dan's eyes were twinkling in response to his wife's as he walked over and took her hand leading her to their bedroom saying, "Here let me show you how well I remember."

Dinnertime found a refreshed, showered and now neat Jim and Jane Robertson entering the living room looking for Jane's parents. After checking every downstairs room Jim looked at Jane in confusion. The confusion ended when the door to the master bedroom opened. "Mum Dad?"

"Yes Jane?" her father asked a big smirk on his face as the older couple entered.

"You didn't," Jane started only to shift to, "You two did, didn't you?" when she saw the big smile on her mother's face.

Emma's reply of, "We couldn't let you two have all the fun now could we?" had Jim smiling which shifted to outright laughter when he saw the look that crossed Jane's face. Emma didn't stop teasing her daughter asking, "Jane would you and Jim like to join us? We're going out for dinner. Your father and I have worked up quite the appetite and I don't feel like cooking."

"Sure I've got the same problem for some reason," Jim replied innately realizing the best way to deal with this teasing was to give as good as he got.

"I believe young Robinson here is willing," Jane said placing her hands on her swelling belly as she followed Jim's lead.





Back in his office before going home for the weekend Walberg did a search for Hogwarts or Hogwarts Alumni looking for more information wonder what it was about that school that turned a sixteen year old boy into someone who could lead an older group of men without a problem.

When he reported in the following Monday his Airman clerk said, "Base Commander wants you in his office yesterday."

"What's up?"

"No idea, haven't heard of any of our recruits getting in trouble so your guess is better than mine." The Airman replied.

Ian checked his appearance then made is way to an office on the other side of the parade grounds.

"Lt. Walberg reporting as requested." He said as snapping to attention he entered.

Lt. this individual has a few questions for you. I expect your full cooperation." The Base Commander said rising from behind his desk and exiting leaving him alone with a non-descript woman wearing a grey woman's suit calmly sitting on the base commander's couch.

She motioned him to a chair then said, "Lt. Ian Walberg using Royal Air Force resources you performed several different searches centered on a..." pausing to look down at a notepad in her lap before adding, "Hogwarts school. Care to tell me why?"

Ian was sure that glance was for effect as was their not being introduced. "I have a cadet airman who claims to have attended Hogwarts. My first search was to verify such a school existed."

"Understandable, why the more recent searches for not only the school but courses and alumni?"

"He has show a remarkable leadership ability for a sixteen year old. With little apparent effort he has an entire flight whose average age is 19 and a half, willing to follow his lead. I wanted to see how they taught leadership hoping I could learn some of their techniques." Ian replied sitting stiffly.

"Does this cadet have a name?"

"Airman Cadet James Robertson."

The lady fought to control her reaction succeeding to the extent Lt. Walberg never notice her shock at hearing the name. She forced herself to calmly ask, "Anything else notable concerning Cadet Robinson?"

"He's married," Ian said adding, "Nothing else," when she continued to stare at him.

"Very well. I trust there will be no more questions, computer searches, or any other inquires concerning Cadet Robinson, his past, or a school named Hogwarts."

"No Madam I understand."

"I doubt you will ever understand just don't come to my attention again. You will not like the results should that happen. By the way we never met nor had this discussion is that understood?" The lady in the grey suit asked rising and heading for the door.

"Yes Madam." Lt. Walberg replied firmly.

The woman nodded and disappeared out the door.

She was no sooner gone than the Base Commander entered his office saying, "Lt. Walberg we had an interesting discussion about your training flights, dismissed."

"Yes sir!" Ian said saluting and leaving the Base Commander's office taking the long way back to his own. He didn't even want to think about crossing paths with that woman again.

The woman in the grey suit was known to the few in her own office as Penelope Harrington. Even fewer in the government knew what she did. Entering her office in the secure inner bowels of a non-descript government building. She sat noting her actions in her secure computer. Confident few of the people who would be interested in her records if they even knew they existed would know how to work it. Sitting back after linking the Granger file to Harry Potter's file which already contained copies of Harry Potters name change she smiled to her self knowing her grandmother's cousin who ran Hogwarts would like to know just where a number of people she kept tabs on where and would be astonished to realize she could have any of them assigned to work with him with just a word or two to the right people.

She decided to let the Potters or as they were now known Robinsons be but she would be keeping tabs on him to insure he didn't get lost in the system. After accessing a few more programs and setting alerts to notify her anytime orders were cut for Mr. Robinson, or he ran afoul of the regulations. She also made sure appropriate housing was available where ever he was assigned. With this case dealt with she turned her attention to the next one in her inbox, The Creeveys.





"Did you want to get Jim anything special for this weekend?" Emma asked her daughter as they were doing the weekly grocery shopping.

Jane shook her head replying, "Not really I don't want to get my hopes up in case he doesn't come home. He's expecting to lose another of his free weekends to more training."

"You know he didn't intend to miss your birthday weekend."

"I know and he did call on my birthday. It's just I miss him so much." Jane replied.

Mrs. Abernathy mother of Jane's rival during Junior School spotted the Grangers as they made their way down the bread aisle and altered her route to catch them in the cereal aisle where she came around the corner late insuring they were trapped and couldn't avoid her, "Emma, Hermione, what a surprise. I thought you'd be back at your boarding school by now. I know Amy started at Phelps Academy weeks ago." She called out as she approached the two.

"I'm going to after hours classes at the local state school." Jane replied forcing a smile onto her face.

"Oh, I'm surprised to hear that. Did your boarding school close?"

"No, Mrs. Abernathy my boarding school has a small problem with married students, I'm a Robertson now. It was too late to register for classes at the local state school so I'm doing the night classes." Jane replied enjoying the stunned look on the other woman's face.

"Married at your age?" Mrs. Abernathy asked looking between the two women facing her.

"My husband and I didn't want little Robinson to arrive and find his parents were not married." Jane replied intentionally smoothing her dress to reveal the slight bump.

Mrs. Abernathy didn't reply right off. She was caught off guard the girl would be so upfront about her condition. Obviously she did not appear to realize it was something to be ashamed of. Pulling herself together she looked at Emma Granger saying, "You must have been surprised by all this."

"Of course Dan and I were taken back Rachael. I'm sure any parent would be surprised when their nearly seventeen year old daughter announces she pregnant. We met Jim and saw how devoted they were to each other. That tipped the balance, we agreed to the marriage. Dan even stood up as Jim's best man." Emma said not allowing this woman to gain any advantage.

"Where is Mr..... Your husband?" Mrs. Abernathy asked a bit embarrassed she couldn't remember Hermione's new last name.

"He's in the RAF. Once he's out of training I'll be joining him." Jane replied.

After the exchange of a few more pleasantries Rachael Abernathy left leaving Jane along with Emma who promptly asked, "You do realize what you told her will be all over the village tomorrow?"

"Yes I figured she was as big a gossip as her daughter. You did suggest I be open about everything and not let anyone embarrass me. Besides by this time next week my condition will be old news and while a few mothers will use me as an example of what happens if you're not careful, I'm not so sure that's a bad thing."

Emma couldn't have been more right. Moments after arriving home, even before the just purchased groceries were put away Rachael was on the phone to one of her "closest" friends relating all the details of her conversations in the cereal aisle well embellished with what she would call accurate comments on both mother and daughter's appearance, posture, and mood. Comments others might call catty or just mean spirited. Whatever one would call them Rachael Abernathy and her friends insured everyone or rather every female of note in their village knew of Hermione's new status and condition before night had fallen. Information that more than one female shared with her husband or other family members that night.

More than one Husband recalled what happened when a strung out druggie had forced his way into the Granger's dental practice seeking drugs and threatened Emma Granger in the process. Not much was said around the village afterwards but everyone knew the druggie had spent three months in the hospital getting healed enough to stand trial. When Dan Granger entered the Courtroom and took a seat the druggie quickly confessed to an entire string of robberies. Those that remembered reminded their wives to show Christian kindness towards the young woman. There are always people you don't want to annoy and the dentist that fixed your teeth was one of them.





Jim was riding home after Jane and Dan picked him up at the end of his seventh week of training saying, "I wasn't sure after yesterday if I was going to be allowed to come home this weekend."

"What happened?" Jane asked concerned.

"I had a lousy day at the gunnery range. I thought it would be like using my wand but I stunk."

"When's your next day on the range?" Dan asked as he drove the young couple home.

"Monday and if I don't do better I think they might hold me back."

"Jim I believe I can help you with your problem if you've got some time this weekend." Dan replied.

"That would be great Dan. I need all the help I can get."

After dinner that evening Dan took Jim downstairs into the basement. Seeing his daughter's look as they left Dan remarked. "Princess it will only be for an hour tonight and a bit less for the next two days."

"I've got to learn this Jane otherwise they're going to restrict me to the base and hold me back until I get it." Jim said backing up his father in law.

"Alright but I'm holding you to one hour a day." Jane said firmly.

"Yes princess." Jim said giving his wife a kiss before following Dan down the basement stairs.

Once they were down Dan threw a switch that locked the upper door. Seeing Jim's raised eyebrow he said, "No one is allowed down here when I'm working out or practicing." With that he approached a loaded storage rack pulling it out revealing a room beyond. Going to an outer wall of the room he slid a panel aside revealing a floor to ceiling safe, which he opened. Inside Jim could see several shotguns stacked side by side in its shallow depth. Dan reached in pulling out what appeared to be a gunstock with parts of a gun mounted to it. "This is my practice set up. It's a standard rifle stock with a trigger activated laser pointer in place of a barrel. I took the bolt and trigger from a damaged gun to allow me the correct feel. I've also got a very small target set up at the other end of the cellar which will let me know when I've made a good shot. What I want you to do is aim at that target and take a few shots. All you will hear is a click when you pull the trigger."

Jim shrugged his shoulder and did as Dan instructed doing his best to follow what the RAF instructors had been saying yesterday.

After a few minutes Dan said, "Alright I see a few problems. The first one is you're overly tense. Probably because you're not holding the rifle right and it's hurting your shoulder when you fire.

"Second the gun, your upper body including both arms should move as a unit. By now I've sure you've seen several machine gun mounts. It might help to think of your upper body as a gun mount for this rifle and move as one unit. Try a few more shots."

"No you're still too tense try pulling the rifle into your shoulder. This should seat it against your shoulder and tense the muscles in preparation for the recoil." After a few more shots Dan continued, "That's better now try to relax your breathing and pull the trigger in between breaths, no don't hold your breath to shoot it makes you tense up and throws your aim off, relax and just let it flow naturally."

An hour after they left Jim and Dan entered the living room to find Emma and Jane watching a movie. "How did it go?" Emma asked her husband before Jane could ask Jim.

"Good Jim's got some skill but he could use some live firing. I'm going to check the club and find out if I can use the range for a bit on Sunday. By then he should be ready to impress." Dan said smiling at Jim.

Sunday evening Jim returned to base far more confident about the outcome of Monday's visit to the shooting range.

Monday evening Lt. Ian Walberg looked over the recommendations he'd made that weekend for his Cadets. Based on Friday's outing at the range where Robinson had been luckily to hit anything close to the target he'd ticked him for cook training. Today Cadet Robinson had shot like a sniper nearing the end of training. When he'd questioned Robinson he'd replied that his father in law had taught him a few things over the weekend. None of the normal range instructors had believed such a change was possible and thought Jim had messed up Friday intentionally although Ian wasn't so sure.



Up at Hogwarts a stressed headmaster was contemplating his options to find and regain control of Harry Potter. It was approaching 5 months since the boy-who-lived was last under his control. Had Mundungus Fletcher been a bit more alert he could have brought the boy to Hogwarts when the Granger's found him instead of the boy going into the muggle medical system. That was the point he'd lost any control Dumbledore realized. He should have disregarded what the Grangers were saying and obliviated everyone before taking the boy to Hogwarts then and there. So what if the muggles had problems with their electronic toys He was a superb student of muggles and was sure the person who found the problem would not want the blame and just cover it up. He was also reasonably certain Harry was wearing the Head of House Potter ring. That was the one sure way he would have been able to remain undetected this long. Miss Granger still puzzled him however. Other than having her magic bound there was no other way for her to remain undetected. Well there was one option but she was muggle raised and it was still ingrained in her and he knew neither her nor her parents would accept something that a true witch would accept without hesitation.

He'd talked with everyone that had picked up Hermione finding she'd met everyone of them at a train station. No one other than possibly his old friend Alastor Moody knew where the Granger's lived. Point me spells didn't work on muggles and when he'd tried to have Fawkes carry a letter to Hermione his phoenix had not bothered to leave his perch.

Severus Snape was finishing up a very special experimental potion one to drastically increase a person's susceptibility to suggestions for a short period of time with a rapid onset. The only remaining problem he was facing was insuring the delivery went unnoticed. In the end it was far simpler than he'd expected it to be. The non-Hogwarts based members of order of the Phoenix had gathered in Hogsmeade before arriving en mass making a tempting target for Peeves, the resident poltergeist. When he struck with water balloons the distraction allowed Severus to exchange the potion he was carrying with the contents of Alastor's ever present personal drinking flask with a simple switching spell.

Severus watched the retired Auror throughout the meeting as Alastor sat quietly in a corner his magical eye swiveling constantly keeping track of everyone and everything going on. When he noticed Alastor finally take a long pull at his flask as the meeting was wrapping up Snape went over to ostensibly converse with him. With a few suggestions and the occasional arm for guidance he was able to separate Alastor and guide him to a classroom he'd already prepared near his office in the dungeons of Hogwarts where he knew they wouldn't be disturbed for a few days if it took that long.

Sitting the retired Master Auror in the magically reinforced, manacle equipped, hard iron chair he'd prepared Severus Snape took the chair opposite him. He wanted the old war horse to know which specific one of the Dark Lord's trusted compatriots finally got him. "Let us just see what you're hiding in that mind of yours," Severus said before raising his wand calling out "Legilimens,"

Alastor fought for several moments reinforcing his mental shields until Severus was able to overcome his defenses thanks to the potion he'd given the old Auror.

Severus broke the outer barriers of Alastor's mind only to be astonished at how many compartments existed in the Master Auror's mind, 'It's a wonder he can think at all with his mind so divided,' Severus thought before deciding the only way forward was to tackle each compartment individually. He found he needed to force himself to more rapidly from one compartment to the next not going deeper than a cursory examination of the compartments contents if he was going to find the information he sought today. Sensing him getting close to a particular memory Alastor focused all his effort on protecting one small fact hoping Snape would not notice it missing.

Nearly an hour later Snape leaned back an expression of satisfaction on his face as he announced, "Getting out smarted by a fifth year girl and her muggle father? You are losing your touch old man and with the oath they forced you into you... Alastor I think your death eater capturing days are over."

Alastor felt the now useless magical leg fall off quickly followed by his magical eye failing. Snape actually laughed when Alastor's magical holster failed releasing Alastor's wand into his hand knowing the old man was harmless now that he couldn't cast a spell. When Alastor drove himself across the open gap between them with his one good leg driving the supposedly useless wand through Snape's left eye and into Snape's brain where a few quick stirs of the wand scrambled Snape's brain in more ways then one.

The force of Alastor's thrust had him falling on to the floor on his left side. Once he'd gathered his bearings Alastor pulled himself over to his walking stick and using that was soon standing on his one good leg. Hobbling over to Snape's dead body Alastor grinned down at him and pulled his wand out wiping it on Snape's robes before placing it in one of his many pockets. "Not quite as useless as you thought was it death eater?" Alastor said before making his way to Hogsmeade wondering if he could impose on Rosmerta for a room so he could rest up or possibly help getting home where he'd be safe behind his wards that is if they still worked.



Jane and her parents were making their way from the parking area to the parade grounds where Jim would be graduating from cadet training. She was thrilled at the thought of Jim being home with her for a few days before he returned here for an additional six weeks of Chef training. Jane was so preoccupied that she hadn't noticed how distracted her father was. Emma however had noticed and had a good idea why. She'd noticed her husband had dressed with particular care and without mentioning anything he'd gone down to the cellar just before they'd left quietly sliding a thin box under the drivers seat as he'd entered the car. That box was now hidden in the bag of cushions and bottled water he was carrying.

A group of four officers approached their group heading straight for Dan. Emma smiled to herself wondering how long it would take Jane to realize what was going on. She knew today would be a bit of an eye opener for both of the youngsters. Emma greeted each of the officers in turn noting she was being introduced to each of the officers as Mrs. Dan Granger and Jane was being introduced as Dan's daughter Jane.

Jane finally caught on something was different when her father passed her the small bag taking out a box as he did. Dan then removed something from the box before placing it back in the bag. Jane was then shown to the back row of the small seating area on the main reviewing stand while her mother and father were shown to front row center seats where her mother helped her father fasten whatever he'd removed from the box to the jacket he was wearing. She noticed once that was done her father sat straighter and her mother beamed at him before wiping her eyes. Looking around Jane noticed there were bleachers on both sides of where she sat filled with families watching the graduation.

Jane watched the various groups march on to the field spotting Jim as he led one group on before they stood facing they reviewing stand lined up in neat rows.

Her attention was drawn to the man sitting beside her father as he rose and made a speech about how important this group of cadets were and how special it was to be a member of the Royal Air Force. All Jane could think about was his speech was delaying her wrapping her arms around Jim. That thought persisted until she heard her father's name.

"Daniel Granger is one of only two individuals who were awarded the Victoria Cross for his service during the Falklands Conflict. Since it's creation in 1856 by Queen Victoria this, the highest of all military honors, has been awarded 1354 times.

"After a bit of persuasion and despite having served in another branch of her Royal Majesties Services Mr. Granger agreed to take the salute of our graduating Airmen and Women.

Mr. Granger allow me to add my salute to the others you will receive today," with that the officer stepped away from the microphone and along with every other uniformed individual on the stand and in the crowd saluted Dan Granger.

Jane was looking at her father with wide eyes. She'd always know he'd been in the Falklands but when she'd asked he'd always said his major accomplishment was being shot by a sentry, obviously there was a bit more to the story.

"Thank you all, I know I don't deserve this honor but as I said when I initially was awarded this. I accept your honors for all those that did not return to their families. Those are your real heroes." Dan said formally before the officer in charge shifted his attention and called out for the classes to pass in review.

Jane watched her father turn sharply and take a few steps forward until he was standing on the edge of the platform. Her vision shifted to Jim who was watching the group to his right. Once they started moving she heard him call out orders which didn't make sense to her but the group behind him understood them as they moved out as one following the path of the other groups marching around the edge of the parade ground finally turning and approaching Dan. As each group approached the reviewing stand where Dan stood watching. The individual in front of the group would turn and salute Dan keeping his eyes turned to his right until the last member of his group was past Dan.

Jim's approach was being closely watched by both wives and the joy that appeared on both of their husband's faces, Dan receiving the salute and Jim giving it was obvious to those who knew them well.

With the ceremony over Jim dismissed his group as ordered before joining Jane and her parents as they stood around talking with other families. "That was a big surprise Dan," Jim said smiling at his father in law.

"I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it. Wearing that brings back a lot of unpleasant memories. I'm afraid Emma is in for a few restless nights for a while."

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable," Jim said.

"You didn't son. I chose to wear it today. This is one of the reasons I suggested you join the RAF instead of the branch I did. I hope and pray you never have to do anything to earn one of these." Dan replied as he unpinned the medal and reverently placed it back in its box.

Jane glanced at Jim concerned about his reaction. This was the first time Dan had referred to Jim as his son. Her concerns were unfounded. Jim had a big smile on his face as he replied, "Thanks Dad G. I doubt I'll get the chance as a cook."

"I thought you were going to Chef training?" Emma teased.

"When it's that big a group it will not be fancy. Besides I'd rather be a plain old cook than a fancy chef."

Jane waited until they were home before asking, "Dad you told me your biggest accomplishment was being shot by a sentry. Even I know they don't give the Victoria Cross for that. What actually happened?"

"Jane leave your father alone. You know not to bother him about the Falklands." Emma interrupted her voice firm.

"No Emma it's time she knows. I'm not ashamed of what I did."

"Dan I know you're going to have a rough time for a while after today." Emma countered concerned for her husband.

"Yes I will, telling Jane and Jim won't make it that much rougher." Dan replied firmly to his wife before turning to the two teens saying, "Why don't we sit in the living room and I'll tell you what happened."

With everyone settled in Dan started his story, "I was a sniper and was coming back after an extended period away. They'd changed the unit guarding my entry point and forgot to inform the sentries I'd be passing through their lines sometime in the future. I approached and gave the pass code. The sentry was jumpy and after giving the counter code the idiot still shot me, luckily for me he hit a leg.

Long story short I was "captured" and once they figured out I was one of theirs they sent me to a first aid station. Next thing I know I'm hearing gunfire. I got out of bed to find the few guards being overwhelmed by an attack. The Argentines were trying to do an end run around our forces and ran into the first aid station. I started directing the guards and grabbed a rifle from one that had been injured, my sniper rifle having taken from me when I arrived at the hospital for safety reasons. I shot over the heads of most of the attackers trying to keep the attack pinned down until help could arrive. A few didn't keep back or their heads down, those I dealt with differently. Help arrived in a short while and for some reason the doctors decided I was the reason the attack failed. They're the ones that helped me get into medical school after the war."

"Wow, Dad I never knew." Jane said.

"And you were never suppose to. I'm just a dentist that got a medal because a few people thought I did something special that really wasn't that big a deal. I just did what I'd been trained to do." Dan replied with a shrug.





October 26, 1997 Jim and Jane were spending their Saturday afternoon walking through the local shopping area arm in arm smiling at everyone. Jane had on peddle pusher pants with a flowery maternity top while Jim was in a blue t-shirt with a RAF logo on the front and dungarees both had pullovers on unzipped due to the slightly warmer than expected weather. Their progress was stopped by a feminine squeal of "Hermione Granger!"

A young woman Jane's age was running across the street in the female gait where the lower leg was doing most of the movement with very little knee action, the one designed to keep a skirt in place. Jane recognized the voice and the woman approaching calling out, "Amy Abernathy your mother said you were at Phillips Academy."

"I am but I come home for a weekend visit every now and then. Mum said you were married I take it this is your bloke." Amy said looking Jim over as if he were the special of the day.

Jane bristled at the attention she was giving Jim but her manners came to the fore as she said, "Yes, Jim this is Amy Abernathy a classmate from junior school. Amy this is my husband James Robertson."

"I am pleased to meet you James but what your wife should have said is I was one of her tormentors in junior school. Now how does your wife pay me back for those six years of torment?" Amy asked before answering her own question. "By setting me free!" Amy proceeded to hug Jane.

"What?" a totally confused Jane replied.

"Let's have lunch and I'll the you both a long story about just why a bucked toothed little girl was picked on and how she set one of her tormentors free."

In between bits of her dessert Jane asked, "So you picked on me because my parents were your dentists?"

"No I picked on the girl my parents were constantly holding up as the example of what I should be. During my appointments your parents would talk about what level books you were reading on your own and just how perfect you were. My parents would then look at me and wonder what was wrong that I'd rather play with dolls and do anything to avoid reading.

"When I say you at school and realized you were the Hermione my parents were always talking about I just had to put you down. The more you cried the better it made me feel. It was like I was beating the perfect one." Amy explained.

"So why the big change?" Jim asked.

"First there was a lot of work with counselors at PA when I started to do the same thing to a girl there. Then Hermione turning up pregnant knocked her off the pedestal my mother had her on. I'm free now I don't have to put up with constantly being compared to Hermione anymore. It's been quite liberating."

"I've always heard "If you can't be a good example be a bad one." Jane joked.

"Well bad example do you know if it's a boy or girl?" Amy asked.

"Not yet, Jim and I have changed our minds several times about knowing or not. I think I'd rather be surprised. Finding out it's a boy and having the nursery all ready will just take a bit of the enjoyment out. I think it will be more fun to go oh it's a boy or oh it's a girl. You know make it a lot less clinical. My only wish is for him or her to be healthy. I'm concerned because we are both a bit young and I worry that will affect the baby." Jane replied cupping her now noticeable baby bump.

"Mum said you'd be moving?"

"Yes when Jim receives a permanent posting I'll be joining him. Right now he's between schools and living in dorm style rooms."

"If you don't mind I'd like to keep in touch. I'm not the little witch I was in junior school and this time I'd like to be your friend." Amy said sincerely.

Jane surprised herself when she replied, "I'd like that too," and realized she meant it.



Jim found chef training easier than initial training. He was on familiar ground having been cooking for the Dursleys since he could stand at the stove using a step stool. For a change his aunt's paranoia with contaminated food stood him in good stead, his constant hand washing between tasks brought approving nods from his instructors. Jim's only problem area was portion size. He was unsurprised to realize his uncle and cousin ate roughly 3 portions each according to RAF standards.

The six weeks passed quickly and he was allowed home all but one of those weekends. The final week he received new orders, as the highest rated student he got his first choice, duty in England.

December 11, 1996 James Robertson packed his kit, put on his dress uniform and left RAF Halton. Monday he'd be reporting to RAF station Cranwell 106 miles north, northeast of London. Exiting Halton's gate Jim saw Jane waiting for him. Dropping his kit he gave his wife a big hug and a kiss before looking around for one of his in laws.

Jane watched him glance before saying, "They're not here Jim."

"Then how did you get here?"

"I drove."

"You drove, Where's their car?" Jim asked.

"Our car is right here. Jane said walking over to a plain looking Volvo 440 in green.

"Our car?" Jim said looking the car over.

"Yes Mum and Dad bought it for us. They decided since they weren't paying for the last two years at Hogwarts they'd buy us a car. It's in their name for insurance purposes with Dad and me registered as the only drivers. We'll add you once you get a license. You should have seen the discussion Dad wanted to get us a Jaguar but Mum said it was too sporty. I tried for a Mini but Mum and Dad both wouldn't go along with that "too little room," they said. This Volvo has a good safety rating and is roomy enough for the three of us." Jane explained.

Jim smiled and lifted the rear hatch tossing his kit in before climbing in the front passenger's seat where after a glance around he said "Nice," as they took off.

"I thought so. I know it's not a new one or all that fancy," Jane said concerned at Jim's opinion of the car.

"Jane it's like us, practical and not flashy. We don't need the bells and whistles. I suspect it will make far more food runs that anything else."

Jane was pleased at his easy acceptance of her parent's gift knowing it would come in handy in the near future if everything worked out.



Back at the Grangers Jim and Jane sat down to dinner with her parents. "Any idea where you'll be staying at Cranwell?" Emma asked.

"Not yet. I put in a request for married housing but the person I was working with said I might be too junior if the married housing is tight. I'll find out when I process in on Monday. Speaking of that I was planning on catching a train up there on Sunday that way you won't have to drive me up."

"I was planning on driving up with you on Monday morning." Jane said

"We'll have to leave awful early." Jim replied.

"I know I've gotten directions and everything from dad's autoclub. It's just a bit less than a hundred miles from here so if we leave here at four am that should give us plenty of time to be there for eight am.

Jim thought about it for a few moments before replying, "Sounds like a good plan are you sure you won't mind driving there and back?"

"Jim if everything works out I won't be driving back." Jane countered a gleam in her eyes.

The weekend passed in a blur for Jim and Jane. A little before 4 am Monday morning Jim put his kit, most of which had been washed, ironed, and folded over the weekend in the boot along with a suitcase containing Jane's just in case clothes." After a strong hand shake and hug from Dan and a hug and kiss from Emma Jim climbed in to the passenger's seat leaving Jane to make her tearful goodbyes before joining him as she slid behind the wheel pulling out at 4 am on the dot.

Once they were on the road Jim had to ask, "What are just in case clothes?"

Jane drove silently for a moment before asking, "Didn't you ever have the wrong clothes for a situation?"

"Not really shirt and slacks always worked for me."

"For a girl it's different. I don't know what to expect in Cranwell. You'll have your uniform on so you will be properly attired. For me I don't want to be over dressed or under dressed. So I'm wearing jeans and a conservative top. I've packed a skirt and matching blouse if I need to dress up a bit. I've also packed a full dress and several different styles of shoes. With all that I can fit in with any group after a short trip to the ladies room."

"But at school you just wore what you wanted."

"Jim at school everyone wore about the same thing just with different levels of success. At Cranwell it's important for me to fit in now I'm not just Jane I'm Mrs. Robinson. Jim you obviously don't realize clothing is a cultural language that one ignores at their own peril. If I show up dressed wrong it won't be, "look at Jane she is just a bookworm," it will be "look at Jane obviously her husband is a loser if he couldn't catch a better looking wife," the way I look reflects on you and the way you look reflects on me so no choosing clothes without me around."

Jim thought about what she'd said then realized she was right over half of his aunt's gossiping was about what someone else was wearing or not wearing. His uncle Vernon would deal differently with people he met on the street depending on how they were dressed. "You're right I'm sorry for trying to tease you about it," Jim said contritely.

They were just driving past Letchworth when Jane asked, "Do you miss Hogwarts and everything?"

Jim took a few moments to think before replying, "Actually I don't. I thought I would when we decided to leave but I don't miss doing magic," catching the glance from Jane he continued, "I guess it's the yin and yang of it. If I miss waving a stick and causing things to happen then I'm also saying I miss the arrogance of Malfoy, Snape and that entire crowd. Sometimes I wonder how much the muggle borne were more tolerated than welcomed by all of the Hogwarts staff."

Jane was about to object firmly but her mother's voice echoed in her mind saying, 'Jane you are a married woman who is having a baby with her husband. You and Jim are linked or the rest of your lives. If you want to stay married and not be constantly battling with each other you need to deepen your understand of each other. Don't just argue when you disagree with what he says try to find out why he's saying it. He's male and they look at the world differently than we do. The better you understand him and he you the easier your lives together will be.' She decided to try and understand asking, "What makes you think that Jim?"

"Little things like Muggle studies is taught by a pure blood. Arthur Weasley is great and treats me like a favorite relative but even you can agree there must be a muggle borne or half blood that would be a far better head of the misuse of muggle artifacts than he is."

"Alright I'll give you those two points but what about the rest of the professors?"

"Think back to Halloween of your first year. Was Professor Flitwick enthused because a student floated a feather or was he surprised a muggle borne was the first successful student? I've had similar vibes from McGonagall and the rest.

"Jim you don't mean that do you?"

"Jane my love, can you name a professor at Hogwarts that isn't either a full blood or comes from the magical world like Hagrid, Flitwick or Firenze. Remember what McGonagall said when Malfoy dared to imply her own blood status was below his?"

Jane nodded as she drove her eidetic memory bringing the event to the front of her mind. "Of course I do," shifting into her favorite Professor's tone and cadence she continued, "Mr. Malfoy my magical ancestors were one of the reasons the Romans erected Hadrian's Wall while yours were still mucking out stables." After a chuckle at the memory she added, "It took Daphne Greengrass explaining it before that pompous git realized he'd just been insulted. By that time class had ended and all he could do was sputter."

They traveled a bit longer in silence before Jane said, "You've made some good points Jim. Let me think about them for a while."

"What about you Jane do you miss Hogwarts and everything?"

She'd been ready for this question since before she'd asked Jim the same thing. After all she'd been thinking about it on and off since they'd decided to stay muggle. "I think I'll eventually miss the ability to wave a wand mutter a spell and clean our home. I agree with you though I definitely won't miss the bigotry. When it all totals up I prefer life here. The magical world is just too 18th century for me."

Two and a half hours later Jane pulled off the A-1 heading to Colsterworth. "Any idea where you have to report in?" Jane asked as she followed his directions.

"Not really we're early enough for me to ask around when we reach the base."

Twenty minutes later Jim was standing at attention before the duty officer having passed his orders over. "At ease Airman. Is there anyone with you?" The officer asked not looking up from Jim's orders.

"Yes sir. My wife is waiting in the car."

That caused the officer to look up at Jim for a moment before saying, "Very well, I'll have the duty clerk log you in and set you up with an appointment at the housing office. You will need to check in with whoever is in charge of the cooks at the Junior Mess tomorrow morning at 7 am. You are free to do what you need to until then, dismissed."

"Thank you sir." Jim replied taking a copy of his orders back before leaving.

Minutes after eight am Jim and Jane walked into the base housing office where an older woman greeted them asking, "Airman Robinson?"

"Yes madam, this is my wife Jane." Jim said knowing this woman could affect their living conditions for the next few years.

Jane watched the woman look her over the eyes widening slightly as she noted her baby bump. Jane held out her hand saying, "Pleased to meet you and I'm seven months along."

"You'll be needing a two bedroom then. Do you have any furniture?"

"None at all. My parents will be helping out in that area once we have a place." Jane replied getting excited at the thought there was married housing available for them and she wouldn't have to return to her parents yet again.

"I'll arrange for visitor quarters for the both of you for a week. Will that be enough time for you to acquire some furnishings?"

Jim looked at Jane who nodded her agreement before he replied, "That will be fine thank you."

They then began signing a remarkable number of forms requiring both of their signatures that spewed from an office printer. But by nine am they were leaving her office two sets on keys in hand one to their room at visitors quarters and the more important set keys to 12 St. Roberts Close North Kesteven. Their new home until Jim was transferred or they managed to have a few more children.

Their first stop was visitor quarters where Jim dropped off his kit and Jane's just in case suitcase. She also took the time to shift in to a skirt and blouse that didn't look too bad on her in her current condition. By one pm they had gotten a car pass, received a map of the area, had lunch, and were driving to their new home. They passed a lovely old church before turning onto a side street that quickly lead them to St. Roberts Close. Studying the house numbers Jane quickly noted their next home was the end one on a five-unit brick apartment building. With what she hoped would turn out to be a great view across some fields to the distant woods. Unlocking the door they both marveled at the view from what the decided would be the living room. The kitchen was afforded a view of the fields and their backyard, which Jane thought would be nice as she could watch her baby playing in the yard. She stopped for a moment shook her head to clear it then followed Jim to look at the rest of their new place.

The following morning Jim was up and dress before leaving for the Junior Mess. He returned a bit after noon saying, "I start tomorrow morning at four in the morning. The good news is they are going to allow me a few days off when your folks come up so we can set up housekeeping."

"That's good news. I've got an appointment setup with a local mid-wife tomorrow. I've also called mum and dad. They will be up Friday so if you can get that day and the weekend off you can help us shop." Jane said with a smile.

"Lug you mean I know how this will play out. You and Emma will pick out the stuff. Dan and I will be carrying it." Jim countered.

"You want me to be lugging anything beyond your kid?" Jane asked teasingly as she cradled her baby bump.

"I thought it was our kid?"

"It is but if you want to get all women are equal with me I'll strap a weight on to your belly and see how you like it."

"All right I give. I'll lug whatever you want." Jim said giving in with a chuckle.

It was three am the following morning when Jim rolled out of bed and started to get dressed that he realized this was his future, sleeping with Jane, getting up and going to work, and coming home to her and their kids. He decided he couldn't have envisioned this good a future when he was living with the Dursleys.

His first days passed quickly as he settled into a routine. At work by four am and home by 1 pm or so. Bed by eight or nine, then repeat.

Jane for her part had contacted the family assistance office inquiring about her and Jim taking GCSEs and studying for their A level exams. They'd referred her to Professor Prose who taught at the RAF College located at Cranwell. Jane made an appointment and was currently knocking on his office door.

"Come in." a male voice called out.

Jane let herself in the professor sitting behind the desk obviously taking in her pregnant condition and apparent age, while she was noting his bodybuilder physique.

"Mrs. Robinson?" The man asked after glancing at a calendar on his desk.

"Yes. Professor Prowse, Jane Robertson. I've come to ask about the possibility of my husband and I taking the GSCEs. We will then study for our A level exams which we also hope to take." Jane said before her eyes wandered of their own accord taking in the Professor's office noticing the board on the wall opposite with it's runic phrase written on it with the English translation written below.

Dave Prowse watched the young woman as she took in the runes he was translating wondering what inane comment she'd make. He'd heard most of them over the years he'd spent his free time working on them. Instead she walked over and took a marker in hand writing a different translation below his.

"What do you think your doing Mrs. Robinson?" Dave asked getting up from his chair and moving over to read her translation.

Jane seemed to jump slightly at his words but quickly replied, "Correcting your student's translation. The Lagu rune was flipped side to side not inverted changing the meaning slightly and the Stan rune was horizontal not vertical altering it's meaning completely.

Dave could see her version of the translation made a lot more sense in context with the runes that were not on the board. He'd been playing with this series for a week now and this young woman read it like it was English. "Mrs. Robinson how did you manage to read this so quickly?"

Her need to correct things had lead to a potential disaster looking up at the man who towered over her and thinking as she spoke Jane said, "Professor Prowse the reason my husband and I need to take the standard exams is we attended a public school that specialized in non-traditional education. One of their non-traditional subjects was Ancient Runes."

"That was not a student's translation you corrected that was mine. I will arrange for both you and your husband to take a preliminary GSCE. That will allow both of you to determine the areas where your education is lacking in return I would like you to look over my complete translation correcting where you believe I've made errors. We will discuss your version when you've finished. Is that agreeable to you?"

"Yes Professor Prowse." Jane replied happy they could take a preliminary version before their official one.

"Good come back the same time tomorrow. My secretary should have a copy of the complete translation ready by then." Dave Prowse said showing her to the door.





Friday they were just finishing up breakfast and Jim was about to as when her parents were due when the phone rang. After a moments conversation Jim hung it up saying, "Your folks are at the security office waiting for our authorization to enter. I need to run over and do that."

"I'll try and be ready to go when you get back." Jane replied watching as Jim dashed around finishing dressing before leaving the visitor quarters at a run.

Jim arrived at the security office to see a hire van parked outside not really thinking about it he entered and after greeting his in laws made the necessary arrangements for their weekend access. He was a bit surprised when once outside they got in to the hire van. "What's going on?" Jim asked.

"Oh we just brought a few of Jane's things with us," Emma said a grin on her face.

When they pulled up at the visitor quarters Jane came out laughing looking at the hire van as she said, "Let me guess Dad didn't want to risk scratching either car by lugging stuff."

Dan Granger gave his daughter a look of long suffering only stopping when Emma said, "Let's go see your new place I've brought along a few things that might be a good fit."

Thinking back to the few times they'd gone out as two couples Jane remembered visiting some furniture stores and the innocuous questions her parents had asked. "Don't tell me you did some shopping?" Jane exclaimed her laughter sudden a thing of the past.

"Of course we did. You really didn't think all those store visits we've been doing were just window shopping to kill time did you?" Emma asked.

"No, I thought you were using them to educate me on styles and types of furniture," Jane replied.

"Your mother was to a point but she was also making notes at the same time. Now we've only brought you the basics. Once everything we've got is set up you and your mother can figure out what else you need." Dan replied grinning.

Jim looked between the two Grangers his eyes getting suspiciously wet. "Dan, Emma, I can say what both of you mean to me. Your acceptance of me when you should have thrashed me, your taking me in when I had no where to go after my relatives were arrested. Not to mention your advice and love since we left school... I just...." Jim said stopping when his emotions overwhelmed him.

Dan and Emma exchanged a glance before she came over and lead Jim into 12 St. Roberts Close. Once inside Jim stumbled falling to the floor where Jane sat down and pulled him to her. It took a few minutes and a lot of soothing words from her but finally Jim stood, looked at Dan and said, "Dad, let's start moving stuff in I'm sure Mum and Jane already have ideas as to just were all this stuff belongs."

Dan put an arm around Jim and in a tight voice replied, "You've got that right son."



Over the weekend the four of them went shopping in Nottingham picking up linens along with various odds and ends. Jane paying heed to her mother's advice of 'Don't do it all right away. When you find something that has a special meaning for the both of you incorporate it into your decorations.' Seeing Christmas getting close Jane made sure they picked up the appropriate decorations setting them aside to be dealt with later.

Sunday night as her parents headed back to Hertsmere with an empty hire van Jane cuddled into Jim as they settled in for their second night at 12 Roberts Close.

Weeks later Jane sat between a pair of extended legs her back to Jim's chest his arm wrapped around her as they sat against the living room couch with the apartment lights off looking out over the adjoining field awash in the full moon light. Just enjoying the closeness of the other one. Something they'd taken to doing on those nights when Jim didn't have to get up early the next day. "You know we won't have many more nights like this. I'm eight months along. We're going to have to stop fooling around in a bit." Jane said as she sat quietly not wanting to break the mood.

"I know but right now all I want to do is exactly what I'm doing, holding you." Jim replied his voice equally soft.

The newlyweds were hovering at the edge of sleep when a movement in the field caught Jim's eye. He didn't give it much thought passing it off as a stray dog when a second then a third animal could be seen. Jim was fully awake now debating what he was seeing, "I'm going to take a look around outside." Jim announced sliding out from behind Jane. She was upset at having her comfortable backrest taken away but Jim slipped his shoes on and was out the door before she could argue.

Jim stood at the field's edge observing the creatures not wanting to trespass on the farmer's land. Their odd gait stirred a memory that quickly brought the thought, 'Oh crap werewolves,' to the front of his mind. A quick glance around for weapons proved nothing useful was close at hand. "Damn I could really use some silver bullets right now or Gryffindor's sword." Jim muttered before a weight in his right hand drew his attention to the sword now held there. 'Right I'll think about this later.' Jim thought bringing Gryffindor's sword to a ready position as he made his way into the field. A second's glance around insured he had all the threats identified as the pack noticed his approach. The pack turned to him as Jim firmly said, "Leave this area." The only response was deep growls from the alpha male his reply obviously negative as the pack encircled Jim. Jim tried to focus on his non-visual senses. Trying his best to use them as an attack warning system.

Jane had stepped just outside the apartment door and was watching her husband as he made his way across the field wishing she had her wand with her unconsciously raising her wand hand pointing it at the werewolves behind Jim's back she thought about what she'd do and instinctively muttered the silver arrow charm.

Jim felt the werewolves behind him start to move only to fall at the same time the werewolves in front of him attacked. Gryffindor's sword acted in concert with Jim's wishes like it was a part of him slicing through necks, arms, and torsos without hesitation. Jim thought the battle had taken far longer than the minute it took him before he stopped wielding the sword with deadly intent and looked around taking stock of the situation. The three werewolves that had been at his back were dead silver arrows protruding from various parts of their bodies the rest of the pack was spread around Jim pieces of their bodies resting on the field. Hearing the undulation tones of what he suspected was base security, local police, or probably both Jim realized things looked bad for him even is all he was charge with was animal cruelty. Wiping the sword clean on one of the pelts lying around he thought about it returning only to have it disappear from his hand. When a mental shrug he thought 'why not' before holding out his arms and while mentally picturing the molten infernos of hell in his mind he wandlessly and silently banished all the remains including the spilt blood. Jim didn't realize he'd banished everything 35 kilometers straight down in to the molten rock that the earth's crust floated on. The instantaneous steam explosion all the water contained in the bodies caused triggered an earth tremor so slight it was only noted by the seismologists as background noise.

Once the area was clean Jim hightailed it back to Jane with both of them entering their apartment as car headlights played across the field.

Voldemort looked down at the gathered death eaters from his elevated throne. The emissary from what remained of Greyback's combined packs huddled at the foot of his throne. "Were my directions unclear? I distinctly remember telling your leader to be careful and pick soft targets. Instead if you are to be believed the majority of your pack mates are dead including your leader. I cannot abide such incompetence. Lucius insure he dies slowly the rest of you are to be highly visible at our regular jobs tomorrow those that need to be out of sight be that way now be gone!" Voldemort bellowed looking around as his minions practically fought to get out the single door that was the entrance to his throne room. The last three individuals out the door were Lucius levitating the emissary from the werewolves and Bellatrix Lestrange his most capable fighter and psychotic death eater. Normally he would send his pet spy, Peter Pettigrew to scout the attack areas but the rat animagus was still recovering from his last cruciatus curse he'd held him under for a bit too long it seems or perhaps the effects where a bit cumulative. He'd have to get two test subjects to research this problem he supposed. Still that didn't solve the problem of just what went wrong with the attacks. Deciding to get a bit of air he would the investigation personally.

It wasn't until his visit to the second attack site the following morning that Voldemort hidden under several charms began to realize Greyback's mistake. In his attempts to pick soft targets he'd naturally picked targets away from major cities but with enough population for the attacks to cause major panic. The problem was he'd not scouted the locations sufficiently and had selected several muggle military bases. Rather than run in panic the muggles had quickly organized and the werewolves ran in to Highly trained fighters using the knives they were allowed to keep at home, their rifles being kept locked up in the base armories. The result had been a slaughter of the attackers that the Ministry of Magic was still trying to keep under wraps while the muggle military was trying to determine if a terrorist attack had occurred.

Voldemort apparated to the next attack site intending to do a quick check before heading back to his base of operations. The rally site for the werewolves was perfect. An isolated grove of trees surrounded on three sides by open fields with no indication of any beings having been there. He made his way towards the nearby village but other than a large number of animal foot prints that stopped suddenly where a few human ones were there was nothing there. No bits of werewolf body, no blood, this site looked nothing like the other two. Changing to his snake animagus Voldemort attempted to use the heighten senses of the snake to determine just what made this site different. Unfortunately he didn't recognize the ground vibrations for what they were as the farmer roared around the corner in his Land Rover.

Jim was returning from his early shift at the junior mess when he turned the last corner to home to see someone out in the field where he'd been standing on top of a vehicle trying to attract attention. Intrigued Jim kept going jumping the fence into the field before finally catching what the person was yelling. 'Snake, he must be deathly afraid of them t react like that?' Jim thought continuing his approach although a bit more cautiously. As Jim got closer he could make out the shape of a snake that appeared to be about ten feet long and a good foot in diameter pinned under the front wheels of the farmer's Land Rover. With the snake wiggling and waiving his head around Jim could understand the Farmer's concern. With only a thought that I need help Gryffindor's sword appeared in Jim's hand and in a reverse of what happened in the chamber of secrets this time Jim drove the sword down through the snake's head pinning it to the ground as it bled out. The snake's death throbs ended with a magical burst that threw Jim ten feet knocking him out while overturning the Land Rover knocking the farmer off and to one side.

"Hey are you alright?" the farmer asked as he approached Jim and saw him stirring.

Jane started to run across the field when she felt the explosion but stopped when she saw Jim stand. Two cracks of apparition had her retreating to their apartment where she called base security to report the blast.

"What the heck?" the farmer asked when two people suddenly appeared out of thin air. "Stupefy," one called out pointing a wand at the farmer while the other stunned an unrecognized James Robertson.

"Damn that's one big snake?" the first auror said.

"Must have been magical and one of those two killed it with this," The second Auror said reaching for the sword sticking out of the snake's head only to have it vanish as his hand approached.

"What in the name of Merlin is going on here," the second Auror asked looking towards his partner.

Hearing the undulating tones of the muggle police approaching the first Auror responded, "I have no idea. Let's grab the snake and get out. Without the sword or snake there's no way anyone will believe our story."



At Death Eater headquarters Walden McNair walked up to Lucius Malfoy quietly asking, "Lucius what's going on?"

"What are you talking about?" Lucius bluffed stalling for time to consider what was going on.

"Don't try your fancy word games Lucius, you know as well as I do. We both felt the sharp pain followed by his mark fading away. Do you think it means the same thing as last time?"

Lucius Malfoy one of Voldemort's closest death eaters if not the Dark Lord's right hand contemplated what to say knowing a wrong reply would lead to a very shortened life span should he proclaim the Dark Lord missing and he show up. The only reason he didn't was McNair was a close friend one of his few true ones in the death eater ranks. "I don't know my suggestion to my son in my owl tonight will be to keep making plans and revise them as needed but do nothing overt until our Lord appears."

"Do you think he'll listen?"

"I hope so I would hate to inform Narcissa I require another son because this one got himself killed." Lucius said without a smile.



Dumbledore was sitting in his office contemplating the occasional disappearance of Gryffindor's sword from the display case across from his desk when Hogwarts paintings informed him of the sudden unease in Slytherin house and of hurried notes being passed between various students he'd asked them to keep tabs on. 'I wonder what's going on. I miss Snape when things like this happen, but he just had to push Alastor and he ended up paying the price. Now my old friend won't even talk to me and is blocking any owl I try to send him.



At the ministry 110 miles south of the farmer's field the on duty Aurors were looking into a cell where a bubble shield contained the odor of dead snake along with any other fumes that might be emitted. "Okay we've got it contained now what do we do with it?" asked one of the Aurors looking at the two that had brought it in.

"We identify it naturally."

"And just how do we do that?"

"Floo Hagrid at Hogwarts." Offered one of the new batch of recruits that had gathered to see what was going on.

"Hagrid, Dumbledore's pet giant?"

"He's their care of magical creatures professor these days. Word has it if it's dangerous he knows all about it and thinks it's just misunderstood." The new recruit countered.

"Why not it's not like we're out anything if it doesn't work. Give him a call." Kingsley Shacklebolt said taking charge of the group.

Jim was released once it was verified he'd just left work at the Junior Mess and had to be on his way home when he came to the farmer's aid. Well that and he was an airman assigned to the base with a pregnant wife so they were sure they could find him quickly enough should the need arise.

Back in their apartment Jane asked the obvious question and Jim responded with, "It was a bloody big snake. My bet is it was Voldemort in his animagus form because the marking didn't match what I remembered of Nagini from the graveyard."

"So we're free of him?" Jane asked the hope obvious in her voice.

"For a while at least. I wonder if Peter will sacrifice his other hand to bring him back next time." Jim said.

"Don't be morbid Jim!" Jane chided.

"Hey I've done what I needed to do for a second time. The ball's in Dumbledore's court and I don't plan on going back so my blood can be used a second time. I'm in the service and married to you." Jim said pulling Jane into a hug.





Epilog

Nearly 12 years after Jim and Jane left Hogwarts at the end of their fifth year a knock came from their front door. When a young girl opened the door the oddly dressed young woman standing there asked, "Is there a Daniel Robinson here?"

"Mum there's a woman at the door looking for Danny," the girl called out causing a woman with short brown hair and brown eyes to come in from another room. "Danny is off playing football with his friends can I help you Ms....?" Jane trailed off hiding a smile at the look of confusion on the other woman's face.

"I'm Mrs. Ginny Finnigan, I've come to explain a few things about your son and offer him a place at my former school."

"Do come in Mrs. Finnigan Danny should be home soon. His father is stopping by the pitch to collect him and his brother on his way home."

"Thank you, how many children do you have?" Ginny asked trying to make polite conversation after the woman showed her into the sitting room and motioning to a seat all the while trying to place the woman in front of her. There was just something that screamed she should know her.

"My husband and I have four. Danny who you obviously know of, then there's Lily and her twin brother and my two year old daughter. What about you?"

"Shamus and I are hoping to start a family once my playing days are over which should be soon."

"You play a sport?"

"Yes, though it might be best to wait until everyone is here before I explain it. I do contacts like this to keep a hand in the door at school so when I do stop playing I can get an assistant professor's job there should one come open."

Deciding it best to ask Ginny said, "You seem familiar to me do you have any siblings?"

"No sorry I'm an only child,"

The coin started to fall for Ginny ringing loudly when she heard a voice she could never forget call out, "Jane we're home!"

Ginny's eyes snapped to Jane's face where a big smile rested before turning to take in the man entering the room with his hands on two boys. It took her only a moment to rise, cross the gap separating her from Jim raising her hand to strike him as she did. She was stopped as a full body bind was cast on her.

Jim looked down at his eldest son who stood there with a hand raised pointing at the unknown woman who was going to strike his father. "Danny release her."

"You sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure I can protect myself for her I've had four years of practice after all." Jim replied with a chuckle in his voice.

Danny looked a little dubious but did as his father instructed.

As she felt the binds release she looked from Jim to his son then back at Jane. "We've been teaching all of them how to control their magic since their first accidental usage." Jane explained.

After a moment of thought Ginny's next question was, "Just how advance are they?"

It was Jim who said, "Practical magic wise Dan is mid-fourth year theory wise he's a bit more. Lily and Bill are roughly second year in both and Becky hasn't shown us anything yet but she is only two."

"What are their full names?"

Jane took this question saying, "Danny is Daniel James Robinson after my father and Jim's. Lily is Lily Emma Robinson after our mothers. Billy is William Cedric Robinson, William because we like the name and you know why Cedric. Becky Susan Robinson is the one down for her nap and in her case we just like the way it flowed."

"I'm not going to remember any of this after I leave am I." Ginny stated looking directly at Jane.

"I doubt it. Though I'm not sure which of us should do it."

"You do it Hermione it's not that I don't trust Harry but well actually I don't trust his control the way I trust yours."

"Alright but should you or someone else manage to restore your memory just know that the Robinson's are leaving the area shortly." Jane said escorting Ginny out.

"Wait don't you want to know what's happened since you left?"

"Not really that's your world and you are welcome to it. Just keep us out of it." Jane said helping Ginny to their car before she drove her out to a secluded spot.

Jane and Ginny shared a hug before Ginny said, "Do it," watching her former best friend point a finger at her before saying, "Obliviate."

Jane then drove quickly away before Ginny regained her bearings and apparated back to Hogwarts where she informed Headmistress McGonagall that Daniel Robinson refused to attend Hogwarts and would be attending another less expensive wizarding school.



A/N

This stated as a takeoff on the idea of why and how would Harry leave the wizarding world. There's enough hooks in here to hang a sequel on but I don't know if that will ever happen.

Sorry if the switch from Harry and Hermione to Jim and Jane threw anyone for a loop but after several trys this was the best way for me to write it perhaps someone more talented could do better.

If you got this far and didn't like it I'm sorry. I write to amuse me and to keep my mind active because this sure doesn't pay.

All errors are mine. I've found I don't like betas as their ideas differ from mine.
Sign up to rate and review this story