Categories > Books > Cirque du Freak > Cirque Du Freak: Rehash

Cirque Du Freak: Rehash

by klahiie 0 reviews

what would happen if Darren had gone back in time and chased himself away, but ended up seeing the Cirque on a family trip to Florida and everything was different? What would happen if he ended up ...

Category: Cirque du Freak - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Parody,Romance - Characters: Darren Shan,Evra Von - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2011-03-03 - Updated: 2011-03-04 - 2486 words

0Unrated
Warning: Has strong attraction to gays and the plot isn't fully the same. Same Destiny, different events.

Chapter 1: Cirque Du Freak

I ran from the theatre looking back every now and again to see if that thing was still after me. I stopped in the streets and tugged on my hair gasping. Steve was still in there. He was going to get eaten! I contemplated whether or not I should go back in there and get him, but when I saw a dark shadow emerge from the door way, I booked it. I didn't want to get into trouble with a man who could replace arms.

I ran through back yards to get to my house. I wasn't expecting my parents to be awake. I stopped on the side walk as I saw all of the lights in the house were on. I was in deep crap. Wiping the tears from my eyes I caught my breath and walked in through the door. They were sleeping when I left, but apparently they had gotten this thing into their mind to check up on me or something. It was useless to try and avoid it now. I was grounded big time.

Shutting the door behind me, I gazed upon the furious faces of parents. They stood with their hands on their hips as they glared me down. I slinked away from them as if I could escape their glares.

"Where did you go young man!" My father yelled. I held my hands up.

"Ssh, isn't Annie still sleeping?" I asked, whispering. His face turned red from anger.

"I don't want any crap from you! Where were you?" he snarled, more quietly now. I had to think up a lie. I don't think they'd really appreciate it if I told them I went to a freak show.

"I forgot something at Steve's and I didn't remember it until I had a dream about it ok? I ran over to get it." I shrugged my shoulders and headed upstairs. They both fled to the bottom of the stairs and crossed their arms.

"Where is it?" My mother snorted. I turned around and looked at her confused.

"Where's what?" I asked her dully. She snarled, "The thing you forgot young man!" I pulled away from the venom. She was worse than the wolf man when she was angry. "Steve wasn't awake, I have to go over and get it in the morning." I replied. Turning back I made my way up the stairs. Hopefully she wasn't going to stop me again. Of course, she wasn't the one who was pressed to keep my little interrogation going. It was my father.

"What did you leave over there that was so important?" He questioned for her, his arms crossed just like hers. I stopped again and turned round, thinking.

"Huh?" I asked again, dully. His face was starting to get red from anger.

"I said, What did you leave over there that was so important?" He questioned again. I sighed.

"I forgot my Soccer Cleats over at Steve's house when I went over there yesterday. I originally went over there today to pick them up, but then he ended up playing Resident Evil and I ended up watching and talking about spiders, then when I came home, I had forgotten about them, so I'm going to have to run over on my way to school tomorrow and pick them up for when we have Gym." I explained. I hadn't used this excuse before, but it sounded believable to me. I mean, I was a kid, I deserved to forget things like that once in a while. If I didn't, then I wouldn't be an actual kid. I'd be some, preppy zoned out, perfect, snotty little goodie-two-shoes who would be afraid to get his elbows dirty and his knees skinned. And trust me, I loved to get my elbow's dirty.

They looked at each other for a moment. I prayed to god that they'd believe me, and wouldn't call Steve's mom. Sighing, my mother shook her head and looked at me. She wasn't as mad as before, but I could tell she was still pretty steamed.

"Alright, tomorrow you make sure you get those shoes. You have a game tomorrow that you can't afford to miss." She replied. Smiling I nodded my head and ran the rest of the way up the stairs. Thank God in heaven she believed me. Hollering up the stairs once I hit the top step she said, "Now I don't want you missing school just because you got to bed so late, you hear me!" She shouted.

"Alright mom, dad, Good night!" I hollered back down running to my room. I shut the door before they could return their goodnights. Leaning against it once it latched, I sighed a breath of relief. That was too close. I could tell they weren't going to believe it, but they had to. It was such a likely excuse that was so believable. Boy forgets something, boy goes over to get it, ends up watching video games and talking about hobbies, boy comes home empty handed, boy tries to go back over once parents are asleep and fails at getting said something. It was all very believable.

I walked forward and wondered what it would have been like if I told them the truth. "Yeah mom, dad, I was out watching a freak show with a killer wolf man, a guy who could eat glass and other random stuff, and a snake boy with long blonde, green, blue, red hair." Yeah, that would go over well like a fart in church. I chuckled as I imagined the look on my mothers face once I told her the truth.

"Didn't I tell you that those Freak shows were a cruel, act of indecency and in-humanity! Those people don't deserve to be locked in cages and starved to death!" I snorted as I grabbed the bottom of my shirt and slid it off as I thought of what I'd say.

"I'm sorry to say this mom, but the snake boy or anyone else in that freak show didn't look Malnourished. Especially not the snake boy." When I'd seen the snake boy, his body was slender, yes, but there were parts on him that were signs of him being well fed, like his legs. Even though they were pretty scrawny looking, they were muscular, but still had some fat on them, and his thighs and waist. He didn't look like he was starved at all. Looking over at my desk I saw that my parents had left the cordless phone in here.

Walking over to it after stripping to my boxers, I crawled into bed and grabbed the phone. I dialed Steve's number, then shut my light off before turning it on. I was probably going to get his mom, and I was probably going to do something stupid like get him in trouble, but I was saved when he picked up, pretending to sound tired.

"Hello?" He asked faking a yawn. I could hear that it was fake, but any sort of yawn made me yawn.

"Thanks butt head." I whispered into the phone, getting comfortable under the sheets.

"Darren?" He asked, not sounding tired anymore.

"Who'd you think you were talking to? The president?" I chuckled lightly and pulled my blankets down around my waist. He snorted.

"Darren, why are you calling me?" He asked, the sound of his shoes hitting the floor. I could tell that he had snuck in through his window and had ripped off his shirt and stuff to get into bed just in-case his mom came up to see who it was who was calling.

"I got home and my parents were awake." I replied. I looked out the window above the head of my bed and thought about everything. The Cirque performers, the Twins, Rhamus TwoBellies, The Wolf Man, The Snake boy, and my most favorite act. The Performing deadly Tarantula, Madame Octa. I could hear Steve groan with apology on the other side.

"You grounded?" He asked, sounding sorry. This was the first time I'd ever heard Steve sound this sorry.

"No, I told them that I had gone over to your house because I left my cleats at your place and couldn't remember until I had a dream about them. They believed it, just barely though." I rolled over so that I was looking out the window fully. In the streets, I saw someone out in the middle of the road in a dark cloak. I squinted against the glare of the street lights. The figure was looking away from my house then, in a moment, it was gone.

"Darren? Darren!" Steve hollered at me on the phone. I jumped.

"What?" I hissed back. He sat there silent for a few moments in silence then whispered into the phone.

"You didn't hear a word I said, did you?" He growled. I sighed.

"No." I replied dragging my hands across my face, rolling onto my back. He laughed.

"Did a naked chick walk by?" He boomed on the other side of the phone. With my hand over my face I muttered through my hand, "something like that." he laughed. "It was a guy wasn't it." I rolled my eyes as I stared at the darkness on my ceiling. "Anyway, I said 'When I got home my mom was sound asleep, but you know how creaky my stairs are, so I decided to crawl through the window instead. I had just gotten in when you called so it was a good thing you didn't call any sooner than that." I sighed and shook my head. I can't believe that he'd gotten out of that theatre so fast, and tone in his voice made him sound...slightly angry.

"I'm sorry for calling you." I apologized. He laughed, the sound of his bed squeaking in the background.

"Don't be sorry! Anyway. What did you think of that Freak show? It was awesome wasn't it?" He boomed. I laughed quietly. I didn't want to run the risk of my parents hearing me on the phone, though I'm sure they already knew.

"It was great Steve. Thanks for bringing me." He snorted.

"Don't thank me, you're the one who grabbed the damn ticket." I laughed again. I remember the feeling I had when I closed my eyes and caught the ticket. It felt so...like I was supposed to have it. And the midget thing who chased me away from spying on Steve. It felt like I knew who it was or something like that. It felt so familiar somehow.

"Steve, what was your favorite part of the show?" I asked. Steve sighed.

"Man, you're asking me to choose one?" He complained. I rolled my eyes.

"Fine then, choose two." I snorted. He laughed.

"Well, I liked all of it, but my first favorite would have to have been the Wolfman and the guy who can put limbs back on. That was freaking awesome. And my second favorite, I'd have to say would be the Snake boy. He was so freaky looking. But at the same time, if I was a girl, I'd say he was hot." I heard his bed squeak again. I cocked an eyebrow.

"I don't care if you say, 'if I was a girl' or not, thinking a guy is hot while you are a guy is considered gay." I laughed. He laughed in return.

"Well Mr. Perfect, what were you're two favorite parts of that show?" He asked, small sections of sarcasm rimming his question. I smiled.

"That's a stupid question. I liked the Tarantula and the Snake boy." I returned proudly. Steve snorted.

"Of course you like the damn spider, but why do you like the Snake boy?" He asked. I pulled my blankets up around my neck after itching my hip and rolled over so that the phone was in the pillow.

"Because he had a snake! Did you see how well he had that thing trained? It could have lunged out and bit someone's face off, but instead it stayed by its 'hot' master." I teased. Steve let off a mocking laugh. I could tell he wasn't pleased with that one.

"Yeah right, you thought he was hot too." He joked. I shook my head, laughing.

"Nu uh. He looked more like a chick than a guy if you ask me. I mean, sure he was a snake boy, but shouldn't snake boy's be bald? His hair was almost down to his butt dude." Steve laughed.

"No it wasn't you liar. It was down to the middle of his back." He boomed. I laughed.

"I said almost, you schmuck!" I retorted. We fell silent. I'm pretty sure he was thinking of the events that happened tonight. I mean, we snuck out, went to see a freak show, almost got caught. Well, I did. "Steve?" I questioned into the phone.

"Yeah?" He said, sounding almost tired.

"Why didn't you say you liked the performance with the spider? I mean, the way you acted when you saw the guy who was controlling her..." I stopped. He was quiet. He sighed.

"That guy just looked familiar, that's all. That's the only reason I acted that way when I saw him. There was no other reason." He muttered. I didn't say anything else. I stared up at the ceiling and tried to place the pieces together. Someone he knew? Looked like someone he knew. Was there really someone so ugly that belonged on the streets? Maybe it was someone from an old Dracula film that Steve noticed?

Clearing his throat on the opposite side of the phone, Steve sighed.

"Dude, I'm going to let you go. I'm zonked." He mumbled into the phone. I could hear the bed squeak as he rolled over and adjusted himself.

"Alright, but we have to talk about it more in the morning." I replied. Laughing quietly, Steve cleared his throat.

"Alright dude, I guess we can talk about it in the morning. You want me to come pick you up before school?" he asked. I didn't say anything. "Darren?" I fought back a chuckle. "Darren?" He repeated. Each time making me have to laugh harder. "Darren!" he hollered finally. I cleared my throat, a huge smile on my face.

"I'm sorry what? I was thinking about how hot the snake boy was." I repeated, fighting back from busting out to loudly. Snorting, Steve growled in return.

"Bye!" Clicking the phone off, I laughed into my pillow. I was so mean to him sometimes, especially now that he had given me some good black mail to hit him with. Putting the phone on my end stand, I yawned. Before I knew it, I was asleep, dreaming about the cirque, and Madame Octa.
Sign up to rate and review this story