Categories > Books > Cirque du Freak > Cirque Du Freak: Rehash

Chapter 3: Friend or Enemy?

by klahiie 0 reviews

Steve and Evan become Friends leaving Darren in the dust?

Category: Cirque du Freak - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Parody - Characters: Darren Shan - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2011-03-05 - Updated: 2011-03-05 - 3021 words

0Unrated
Chapter 3

A few weeks roll by. I'd been spending a lot more time getting to know Evan a lot better. I found out that his father was into animals. He traveled all over the world researching them. The species, and their behaviors. Also, with the animals he was assigned to research they were able to travel about the world. Evan told me that he'd been to China to research and rescue a Bengal Tiger. He'd spent a whole three months there, rescuing it from abusers and researching it's behaviors.

Because of his travels, he hadn't gone through any schooling save for home schooling and said that if there was any chance, he would ask his father if I could go with them for a little while on their next assignment. But when I asked him where it was they were going next, he just simply replied that he didn't know, and that his father wouldn't know until he received a call from someone who needed his help. Evan was hoping that maybe his father wouldn't be needed until he spent a semester in our school.

Evan and I had began to get pretty close, but Steve was a different story. Steve no longer made threats, but he didn't exactly rush to hold Evan's hand either. He stayed at a pretty good distance from the pretty boy.

8th period Gym class was pretty much the change of that though. We were playing volleyball. Steve was on my team along with Alan and a few other kids. Evan sat on the bleachers and watched as Steven ran back and forth across the floor, smashing the ball into the ground at the other teams feet, every point we received was signaled by a loud hooting cheer.

"Hey Evan, why don't you play?" Alan hollered, looking back at the long haired boy who was in his gym clothes, but not participating, like usual. The teacher allowed him seeing how he'd never been in contact with many sports and was allowed to take a few days of observation before attempting the units.

"No thank you." Evan hollered back, his hair pulled back into a messy bun-ish ponytail. He was wearing an extra large, long black t-shirt and a pair of short, short green shorts. He didn't wear a whole lot of pants I noticed. Perhaps he was used to hotter weather, therefore only owned mainly shorts? It was a possibility.

"Why not?" Alan pressed as the kids broke out in aws that made a smile stretch across Evan's face.

"Because he doesn't want to get his butt whooped." Steve sneered, his first words regarding a subject that involved the boy at all. But all Evan did was smile and nod, pointing at Steve.

"Exactly." The gym laughed.

"We'll go easy on you," Alan promised, holding the ball under his arm, his closed fist resting on his hip.

"That sounds dirty." Evan smiled, the tip of his tongue pushed in between his teeth. Everyone laughed again, Alan the hardest this time.

"Please Evan?" I pleaded this time. He looked at me with a cocked eyebrow.

"I don't even know how to play!" He threw his hands in the air.

"We'll teach you!" I mocked him, throwing my hands in the air as well. He laughed and shook his head. I wasn't sure if that was a yes or a no, but as he pressed his knuckles into the bleachers, he pushed himself off and landed softly on his feet.

"Fine, but if I end up pregnant I'll be purely confused." He replied. I laughed and squinted at him, wondering how the hell that fit into our topic, then I recalled him commenting on Alan's words we'll go easy on you and snorted. Reaching behind him he fixed his shorts and walked over to us. Automatically Steve went and joined the other side, giving Evan a nasty growl as he crossed under the net. Evan cocked an eyebrow and snorted. "Calm down cougar boy, it's not like I'm stealing your spots." He made both an kitten and leopard pun that made Steve flip him off. But all Evan did was smile.

"Alright fruit cake the rules are the back right hand person serves when it is that sides turn. It must make it over the net on the serve. If the ball falls short of the net, no one can help it over. If it makes it over the net and hit's the floor the serving team gets the ball and a point. If the ball is hit when it makes it over it's called a volley. When the opposite team hits it back and it lands on the serving teams floor a point goes to the other team and the opposite team gets the ball. Also, the teams rotate clockwise to change the order and server for the next serve." He stared at Evan through narrow eyes and gave him a bitter smirk. "You got all of that fairy boy?" He sneered. "Or do I have to get naked and tattoo it on my butt?" Evan smiled and laughed.

"Well, I highly doubt your butt is big enough to tattoo all of the rules on it, plus, by the time you get a hold of the money and find a professional to do the tattooing, it'll be time to go home." we laughed, causing Steve to shoot us death glares. "So yeah, clear as mud, serve the ball Cat Boy." Evan crouched a bit, rubbing his hands together. Steve muttered a curse word under his breath.

"I hope you realize I'm going to whomp you!" Steve hollered as Alan tossed him the ball. Evan laughed.

"I'm good at jumping, so try me." Steve growled.

"I'll dominate you!" He screeched. This was getting personal, and it was pissing him off that Evan was taking this as a joke.

"Ok, just don't make me bump my elbows, I don't want my dad to know I let you force me down." He insulted both himself and Steve. The confused expression on Steve's face got all of us laughing, Evan included.

"What?" Steve stood a bit.

"Bump my elbows? Off of the floor? Must I demonstrate?" It hit him. Steve growled like an angry wild cat and served the ball, sending it rocketing over the top of the fence, right towards Evan. It was going so fast that I could barely keep my eyes on it. That type of ball could kill Evan!

"Evan!" I hollered as a warning, but all he did was smirk. Crouching, he launched himself up and smashed the ball as hard as he could, knocking it towards the opponent teams feet. We all just stood there in awe as it skidded across the floor and smashed into the bleachers on the other side of the room.

"Yay!" He started jumping up and down, cheering. His hands were over his head, clenched into fists as he celebrated. "Uh huh! I did it," He started dancing the goofiest looking dance I'd ever seen…it was worse than my moms.

"What the hell are you doing!" Steve snarled, stomping towards the net. Evan stopped suddenly, wobbling a bit as if he were drunk or losing his balance.

"Burning calories so I'm not longer fat, why?" He looked at Steve with large eyes. Everyone was silent, staring at the long haired boy as if he were an idiot. Steve lips quivered as his eyebrows furrowed.

"You're…the most retarded person…in the world." He tried to say with anger, but lost to laughter. "You're an idiot! Stupid! Dumbass!"

"Eh," Evan put his hand up and looked away as if he were offended. "I know what you're going to say next." Steve smiled.

"Oh yeah? What?" Evan dropped his hand and smiled.

"Gay." Steve laughed harder.

"And you can read minds. Congratulations, you were promoted from being a fag to Queer Man." Steve cackled nastily.

"So you were beaten by Queer Man huh?" Evan countered. "Oh, hold on, a dumbass Queer Man." Steve grimaced, glaring at him seriously now.

"Oh, that was just a lucky shot. This is where I grind you into the floor." He warned Evan. I smiled.

"I don't know Steve, he did hit one of your fast ones. He's got skill." He glared at me and snorted.

"Oh, so he hit one of my balls. It doesn't mean I'm going to mess my pants whenever I'm in his presence." He growled.

"Jesus, I hope not." Evan commented, his eyes wide. "That would make me feel like crap!" We all laughed. Snorting Steve grabbed the ball and tossed it at me.

"Just serve the ball." I nodded. Readying my stance, I tossed the ball up and pounded it, sending it up and over the net. It went over everyone's heads and straight towards Emma Wilson, the only girl in our gym class. She just watched it fall to the ground even though it was perfect for her. Steve ran over to her and threw his arms out, yelling in her face. "You could have hit that Emma! That's what you do in Volleyball you useless woman!" She pulled away from him and looked at him as if she were going to cry. "You might as well not even be here! You're only in the way!"

"Hey Leonard!" Evan hollered, his eyebrows furrowed. Steve whirled around and glared at him. "how about you stop blaming people and realize that maybe she isn't helping you because you're a jerk!" He looked angry. Peeved. His forehead was wrinkled. Steve grinned evilly at him and turned back to Emma. Lashing out he shoved her back, causing her to trip over a book bag that was off to the side and hit her head off of the bleachers.

"Steve stop it!" I hollered, but there was already someone there telling him that same thing. I gasped and looked to where Evan had been and saw that he was no longer there. Squeaking sounded as their sneakers scuffed up the gym floor. Evan had Steve by the sleeves. Steve had Evan by the front of the shirt. He snapped his leg out and kicked Steven in the gut, sending him to the floor, but Steve didn't go down alone. He pulled the long haired boy down and pinned him to the floor and punched him in the face.

"Boys! Hey knock it off!" The gym teacher ran across the room and grabbed Evan and Steve. "Enough!" She hollered. Evan listened to her, but Steve continued to throw punches in his direction. She'd been out of the room for the beginning of the fight, so she didn't know who started it. "Who started this fight?" She snarled, holding Steve by the back of the shirt.

"That long haired fag did it!" Steve snarled.

"Oh yeah right! I started it you blockhead!" Evan hollered back, half of his face wet with blood. She turned around and looked to us for an answer. None of use answered, except for one sobbing voice.

"Steve did." Steve whirled around to face Emma who was crying on the floor, her long blonde hair red with blood.

"oh my god!" The teacher ran to her side and checked the back of her head. "What happened?" She questioned, looking Emma in the face.

"We were playing and I didn't hit the ball when it was hit in my direction so Steve started yelling at me calling me good for nothing and said I might as well not even be here and Evan told him to stop it so Steve shoved me back and I hit my head and Evan came over to stop him from attacking me anymore and Steve punched him in the face so they started fighting." She broke out in more tears.

"Tomorrow at the beginning of the day go to the office, both of you." She instructed. Steve snorted and started to walk away as the rest of us headed towards the locker room to change. Evan eventually followed us, saying he was sorry to Emma and the teacher.

Inside the locker room Evan separated himself from the rest of us and washed his face. He came out a few minutes later, his face looking as if he wasn't beaten at all while Steve had a bloody nose and a cut on his eyebrow. Walking over to me, Evan opened his locker and pulled out his pants and his t-shirt and began to strip. Steve glared at him the whole time, stopping his changing just for that purpose.

"You can stop glaring at me, it was your fault." Evan replied nonchalantly, sliding his slender hairless legs into his pant legs.

"You have a lot of guts." Steve growled.

"What makes you say that?" Evan questioned, still not looking at him as he pulled his jeans up and over his boxer clothed bottom.

"You get into a fist fight with me and show up in a place the teacher can't come into to save you if another fight broke out." Evan just sighed and rolled his eyes.

"I know that even you're not that immature to do that." He finally looked up at Steve. Steve's expression was blank as they both just stared at each other. It was awkward, watching them gaze into each other's eyes like that, especially seeing how Evan's was so feminine. Finally Steve smiled.

"I like that." Evan cocked an eyebrow and just held his shirt in his hands.

"like what?" he questioned, sounding defensive.

"I like your guts." Evan laughed. The tension in the room lifted. I smiled back.

"So do I, they let me know ahead of time before I throw up." Evan replied, being a smart-alec. Steve laughed and let his pants drop to the floor. Now it was getting awkward. Evan looked at him shocked as he pulled his shirt off and tossed it into his locker. I pulled my pants down as well, the moment they hit my knees Evan's eye shot to me. "Uh, can I ask a question?" Evan looked back at Steve, his voice sounding as if he were being violated.

"Sure, what's up fruit cup?" Steve chortled. Evan rubbed his forehead lightly and looked at his hand.

"Uh, if you claim that I'm gay, why do you feel so comfortable getting naked in front of me?" Evan snickered. Steve laughed and pushed his hand down his stomach in a teasing manner. Even I felt my cheeks go hot at that gesture.

"If you tried to touch me I'd kick your butt so hard you'd leave green streaks down the hallway." Steve laughed. I didn't understand what he just said, but Evan gave him a quick worried expression, then covered it up with a smile.

"heh, that might just end up happening if I tripped." He hid his face with his hair. I slid my jeans on and changed my shirts as Steve teased Evan half naked. "Why don't you just get dressed and stop flirting with me." Evan grumbled. Steve laughed.

"Aww but you're so cute!" He taunted, his comment full of sarcasm.

"And you call me gay." Evan stuck his tongue out at Steve. Steve returned it and slid his pants and shirt on.

"What are you doing after school today?" he questioned, zipping up his pants, clicking the button shut.

"Who? Me?" Evan pointed at himself.

"No, your imaginary friend." Steven snorted. Evan turned around and shrugged his shoulders.

"He said he was going to be talking crap about you all day like he does everyday." Evan joked back. Steve laughed. "No, but I don't know what I'm doing after school today. Probably just rotting inside my house all day like I do everyday." He itched his head. Steven nodded.

"So I take it you're free?" He smiled. Evan shook his head, confusing Steve.

"Nope, I'm ten cents ever forty minutes." He snickered. Steve returned it.

"So I take it you're the cheapest one on the market." Steve laughed.

"You know it. It's because I'm more accident-prone. I tend to mess on your yard and you need a shovel and a mop to clean it all up." Evan chuckled, making it sound as if he were a cow or something like that, but the expression on Steve's face meant he translated it differently.

"You need a bucket. Nice." He looked at me. "How about you Dare-bear? You hanging out with the fruit cup and I after school?" I was about to say yes when I shut my mouth. I forgot that I couldn't. I sighed and shook my head. "Why not?"

"I have Soccer tonight." I replied, feeling more than bummed.

"Skip it." Steve shrugged. I looked at him as if he slapped me in the face.

"No! Tonight is a game!"

"Darren, why don't you just quit it? It's a stupid game anyway." That hurt to hear him say that. I loved soccer almost as much as I loved spiders. He'd quit after that night of the Cirque. He said it was too childish. He changed a lot after that night. Still bossy, but different all the same. He seemed pushier, more violent, less caring, desperate to make people seem wrong. To prove them wrong. What happened in the theatre anyway? "Fine, then go and play a stupid game with the nerd squad, I don't care. Evan and I will be at my place afterwards if you aren't to sleepy." He was insulting me.

Wrapping his arm around Evan's shoulder he began to walk out of the locker room with him as the bell went off. Evan looked at me over his shoulder, his expression worried, almost pleading. I stood there, shocked as the entire room cleared out, and I was the only one left. Gritting my teeth, I slammed my fist against Steve's locker. How could he just sit there and insult me like that? Insult the thing he used to love as well? Then replace me with someone he claimed he hated? What the hell happened to him in that Theatre!
Sign up to rate and review this story