Categories > Books > Cirque du Freak > Cirque Du Freak: Rehash

Chapter 5: Leaving

by klahiie 0 reviews

Darren and Steve fight for claim over Evan, but Evan announces he must leave.

Category: Cirque du Freak - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: Darren Shan - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2011-03-05 - Updated: 2011-03-05 - 2747 words

0Unrated
Chapter 5

It was awkward on Monday. Evan and I sat through our classes, feeling as if we needed to be near each other, but wanted to keep our distance. I couldn't tell if it was love, or if it was just the desire to be close to him, to be able to know that I'm in control of him now.

Lunch time rolls around and Steve greets us at the bottom of the stairs.

"Hey ladies, how was your weekend?" He smiled. Evan had spent the night with me Friday, and with Steve on Saturday. It was kind of awkward.

"Mine was fine." Evan smiled, jumping off of the bottom step, landing next to Steve.

"How about you thief?" He looked at me. I snickered and gave him a thumbs up. He laughed. "it's ok, because I was able to have him all to myself on Saturday. No Mom, no you, no one else to bother me, just me, Evan and my bedroom." He wrapped his arm around Evan's shoulders, pulling him to his side tightly. Evan laughed and pushed him away. I glared at him as he turned his back on me and followed after Evan to the lunch line.

Today was barf on a tray. It was some greasy roast beef with greasy cheese and greasy milk in a greasy carton. Yeah, everything was greasy in this school. It made me wonder how people even stayed skinny. I grabbed a salad and a sandwich and followed after Steve and Evan. Alan looked at us as we made our way across the cafeteria, then turned and whispered something to the others. My hair stood up on end as he turned back and gave me a devilish grin. What the hell was that about?

"Hey Alan." Evan greeted, sitting down in the empty seat at the end. There was an empty chair on either side of him. One for me, one for Steve.

"Hey Evan, so, what did you and Darren do at his house?" He questioned, looking up at him with a teasing grin. Evan poked at his food lightly and shrugged.

"Slept." He didn't seem like he was too excited about our sleep over. Of course, he was exhausted, so was I, and on top of all of that, there were those, weird confessions that I'd made to him.

"Wow, that sounds…fun." Alan looked at him dully.

"Well, it's not like I didn't have fun, it's just, you know. I was tired from being over at Steve's all day and Darren was probably exhausted from his game so we slept." He nodded.

"So, what did you and Steve do when you spent the night at his house?" He looked down at the table with wide eyes. My heart skipped a beat. I rested my chin on my hand and grinned bitterly.

"Yes, what did you do?" I was trying to mask it with curiosity.

"Oh you know, we watched some movies, wrestled, played games, looked at comic books, he told me some stories about his travels. Did you know he's seen about seven or eight freak shows?" Steve answered for him, a large smile on his face. I looked at Evan curiously. He's seen freak shows? Like the Cirque?

"Really? Which ones?" I asked. Evan looked up at me and smiled a reluctant smile.

"Uh, I'm not sure if you've seen any of them. But I've seen everything from Traveling Carnivals to walk ins" He smiled. "But one that amazed me the most was the Cirque. It was like, all of the others seemed demeaning to everyone, but this one. It was all genuine. People who's limbs could grow back, poisonous spiders, people who could turn themselves inside out, real snake boys, everything!" Steve's face warped as we listened to his story in amazement.

"Steve and Darren saw that same thing a couple months ago! Heck, they'd seen it the night before you transferred back here." Alan blurted. Evan smiled and nodded.

"I know, I was hoping that I could go again, but dad never left as soon as he said he was going to. He usually leaves at night to do bar hopping and spend the night with some of his old friends, but he didn't leave." He looked down at his food and shoveled some into his mouth. "What did you guys see when you went?" He looked at me and Steve.

"We saw the twins, the guy who could grow his limbs back, the one who could eat anything, the lady with the strong teeth."

"The guy with the spider," I interrupted Steve.

"Oh yes, it's always you and that damn spider, Darren!" I glared at him.

"Well it was always you with the hot snake boy Steve!" I taunted. Evan laughed.

"The line up I saw was different. There was the girl with the strong teeth, the guy who could eat anything, the wolf man, the snake boy and the performing spider. Also there was the girl who could turn herself inside out, the twin boys who could crawl inside each other and hide in each others bodies which was so freakishly awesome, and the snake boys line up was different. They said he usually did the ending, but this time he was doing the middle man act and the ending. He's pretty flexible." He smiled.

"Oh man, I would give my soul so see the snake boy, the performing spider, wolf man and the twins who could hide in each other!" Steve boomed. I rolled my eyes.

"I don't think the Snake boy wants to see you again, you might try to get a phone number out of him" I teased. He slapped my arm.

"You guys are lucky, you got to go." Alan pouted. Evan looked at him guiltily.

"You'll be able to see it one day. If I remember right they show up once every four or five years in the same place. As long as they don't tear down any abandoned theatre's or places like that then you'll be able to see it." He glared at Evan, trying to beat back a snicker.

"I want to see it now! I don't think I can wait five years!" He pulled at his hair, pretending to have a break down.

"Tough luck Daffy Duck, you're gonna have to wait, or find out their schedule and chase them down. And trust me, I don't think you can find out their playing time on the internet." Evan snorted. We all laughed and went about eating our lunch, talking about random things, Alan and them dropping hints that they thought Steve, Evan and I were all doing naughty things with each other. They were idiots. That wasn't the kind of domination I wanted. The kind of domination I wanted was to keep him, and make him do the things I wanted, like a slave. I wanted him to be the follower, for me to be the pack leader, the Alpha, him the beta. I'd wanted that with Steve and I for such a long time, but unfortunately, I knew that was never going to happen.

The bell rang and we all stood up at the same time like we did everyday, turning to a trash can to throw out what was left we weren't able to eat. Today we had Styrofoam trays so we could just throw them right out. There was no need to keep hold of them seeing how everyone knew they'd just melt in the dishwasher.

"So Evan," Alan started as we headed down the hallway. Evan looked up at him his hair slightly falling in his face. He had this habit where he looked at his feet as he walked. "When you gonna come over and stay at my house?" Alan gave a smirk. I knew what he was getting at. Stepping in between them Steve wrapped his arm around Evan's shoulder, using his body as a physical wall to keep out intruders.

"He isn't, he's staying at my house tonight with me." Steve sneered evilly. Alan pouted. Evan rolled out of Steve's arm, making the newly born twinge of jealousy that I was oblivious of fade.

"Actually," He stopped and looked back down, his face had an expression of depression on it. His breathing was deep, like he was going to cry or something, but there was no sign of it in his eyes. We all stopped and looked at him, waiting for what he was going to say. I felt uneasy, like I wasn't going to like what he was going to say. It was the feeling you got when you were watching a soap opera and your favorite girl comes home around Christmas time and walks in where everyone's eating. You get that feeling like something's happened, or you're dreading what the other person is going to say next but you don't say anything because it's stupid to ask a television what's going to happen next when a commercial clicks on. This was one of those feelings. "I'm not going over to anyone's house tonight." He replied finally. And here was my commercial break.

"What do you mean?" I asked. "There's something to it, I know there is." Everyone looked at me, except him. Everyone looked at me except the person I wanted. He stared at the floor, looking as if he were going to cry, but when he spoke, his voice was smooth and calm.

"My father, he…he got the call." He muttered. We all gasped. My heart shattered, anger fled over me, but it wasn't just me it overcame. Steve as well.

"What the hell do you mean by he got the call!" Steve snarled, stepping forward. Evan looked at him shocked, as if he weren't expecting us to be so upset about it.

"I…I have to go with my dad, he got the call, to go somewhere else." He repeated. Steve threw down his books. Evan threw his back against the wall, trying to stay as far away from the angry boy as possible.

"You can't just leave! You haven't been here a semester!" He snarled, slamming his hands to the wall on either side of his head. Evan stared at him through large, frightened eyes.

"But, that's a good thing…cause then like…it'll be easier for me to go. There's less of a connection between you and me now then there would be in a few months from now." He defended. It made sense, but the look that warped out onto Steve's face disagreed with everything about that statement.

"Oh? So you think you can just walk out on us because you were only with us for a couple months? You don't think we got attached to you in the small amount of time? Use your head fruit loop for something other than to hammer nails with!" Steve was screaming now. I stepped forward and pulled him off of Evan.

"Steve knock it off!" I growled, some odd feeling boiling in me. I felt like a mother lion with her cub. He glared me down and snarled.

"Back off Darren or I'll tear through you to get some sense into him!" I clenched my fists and pulled my lips back over my teeth like he was.

"How about you use your head? He's going to leave us no matter what, no if's and's or but's about it and there's nothing we can do to stop it because it's his father's decision! Not ours! I'm pretty sure that if he had the say in it, he'd stay here as well, but with you flipping out, I'm pretty god damn sure he's going to change his mind in the matter so why don't you grow some balls, shut up and let things roll out the way they have to!" That triggered it. He launched himself at me and slammed me against the wall. His fist smashed into my face, my vision turning red for a split second. I didn't know what was happening to me at first until the sharp pain in my lip came to a throbbing start.

I watched as his fist came at me again. Lashing out I grabbed it and pulled, pulling him close to me easily. Shooting in my direction, trying to pull against me, I snapped my foot out as if I were kicking a flying soccer ball and got him in the ribs. He gasped and pulled back. He backed away, his foot hitting a text book. Looking down he scooped it up and dashed at me. I gasped and went to dodge it but ended up bumping into Alan who was trying to grab me to hold me back when Evan tried to grab at Steve.

Bringing the book down Steve clipped me in the upper side of the head, a sickening crunch echoing through the halls as my vision went from colors, to red, white, to black.

CDF

I woke up in my own bedroom at home. My mom and dad were standing by my bed, an ice pack on my forehead. My head was throbbing. It felt like the pulsing of a massage chair. I gasped and let my head fall over, my eyes closing. The sound of my bedroom door opened, then shut again.

"Is he alright?" I heard a sweet, frightened voice question. My mother squeaked lightly. I grunted. "Darren? Darren are you ok? Are you awake?" I opened my eyes, my eyelashes fluttering. I looked up to see Evan sitting by my bedside. A smile came to his face, a worry relieved smile. He sighed. I smiled back and brought my hand up to my head. "Don't touch it." Evan grabbed my hand and brought it down, his hands were cool, and soft.

"What happened?" I questioned, feeling as if I were at my own funeral.

"You got into a fight with Steve at school and he smashed you in the head with a book hard enough to bend every page in it backwards as well as break the cardboard. I looked at him shocked, my head pulsing with a stabbing pain.

"Ouch." I whimpered groggily.

"You have a concussion, which means you can't go back to sleep right now until this time tomorrow. Also, you might have some damage to your neck." He looked back at my parents. My mom nodded. He sighed. "I am so sorry Darren, I shouldn't have said anything about leaving."

"What were you supposed to do Evan? Tell him you were going to his house and then him get even angrier at you and the rest of the world because you didn't show up?" I snapped. He looked at me shocked, then down at the side of the bed. I was the second. My eyebrows furrowed, my heart welling up with guilt. I was the second one today, who's yelled at him for something like this. For nothing. "I'm sorry Evan, please, please forgive me, and forgive Steve." I whispered. He looked up at me, his bottom lip quivering.

"Forgive you? Forgive you for what? For liking me? No, I won't forgive you for anything, I won't forgive you for being the best friends in the world to me." I looked down to see if my parents were wondering what was happening, to find that they had left. "I won't forgive you Darren, there's no reason to forgive you." He stood up and bent over me, his long black hair falling all around me. "I won't be going to school tomorrow, I'm leaving tonight." He whispered, his eyes looking hurt as they stared into me. "And unfortunately, my dad said you couldn't go with us, so this is goodbye." He whimpered, his voice breaking. I felt my heart crumbling in my chest, my fingers curling around the blankets as I tried to deal with this heartbreak. "I'm sorry, and thank you."

"Thank you for what?" I questioned, looking at him confused. He smiled at me, pushing his hair behind his ear. Closing his eyes he leaned forward, and carefully pressed his lips against mine. I held my breath and closed my eyes in return, savoring it. "Thank you, for dominating me." He whispered. Pulling away he turned and headed out of my bedroom, his arms wrapped around his abdomen tightly. That was it, that was the last time I would see him ever again. My last goodbye to Evan Rider.
Sign up to rate and review this story