Categories > Anime/Manga > Viewfinder > Never Never Land

Part 2

by Salmon 0 reviews

Mikhail and Huang meet face to face. Representatives from both the Daoyun and Haifeng pay Mikhail a visit.

Category: Viewfinder - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama - Warnings: [V] [X] - Published: 2011-03-13 - Updated: 2011-03-13 - 2134 words

1Hot
Never Never Land Part 2

Mikhail stared silently out his window at the hotel grounds below. A private doctor had been brought in to check on Huang. He was badly bruised up, and had suffered several broken ribs and a possible concussion. However, he showed no signs of slipping into a coma, and had suffered no damage to any of his internal organs. He was damn lucky. He hadn't awoken when the doctor checked his injuries, and despite orders to be alerted when he was awake, no news had come. Night was falling now and Mikhail was growing suspicious. If he wasn't in a coma, then he was most likely faking it. He did not like to be deceived.

Memories of their brief afternoon together had plagued him most of the afternoon. Sombered by them, he'd taken his evening meal alone. Fitting for a nephew in "mourning", he'd realized belatedly and with a touch of sarcasm. Huang's appearance had actually driven Yuri's funeral from his mind, until he'd been reminded of the flowers and gifts still collecting in a downstairs room. Having already passed through several security checks, there was no risk that any contained anything dangerous. Nonetheless, he'd sent Sergei down to go through them. His third-in-command was also told to take anything he saw he fancied. A lower member of his staff was collecting the names of each delivered item, and would send thank-you cards the next day.

"Celebrating death. How cold the world is." Turning his back on the window, Mikhail headed for the door. It was time to pay a visit to his guest.



The man guarding the door only nodded, which Mikhail returned before entering. It was exactly as he'd last seen him hours before. Huang lay, seemingly unconscious, on the bed. He gave an exasperated sigh and walked over to place one foot on the base board. "Just how long do you intend to play me for the fool?" He asked in a bored tone

The man on the bed didn't move, but the corner of his mouth turned up. "As long as you let me."

"Haifeng Huang, I don't like people who try to play me."

Huang's eyes opened slowly. "So...you remember my name, Mikhail Arbatov." He turned in the bed to face him, pausing when he did.

Mikhail watched in amusement as Huang seemed to study every inch of him. "See something you like?"

"Oh, quite alot." Huang smirked, finally raising his eyes to meet his gaze. "You've grown even more attractive, Mikhail. I wouldn't have thought it possible."

He was certain he'd grown discontent with compliments long ago, having received too many shallow words to believe they had any meaning. The way Huang delivered his words, though, was so unlike the hollow flattery he was accustomed to. They were fused with honest admiration, and a dose of lust as well. He felt his pulse beat faster, though he kept his face impassive. "Flattery will hardly be enough to gain you my good will."

"That's alright. I have lots of other talents." Huang's smirk only grew deeper, and he pointedly trailed his eyes along Mikhail's body once more.

"Who were you running from?"

The half-chinese man in the bed sighed. "Ah, so it's down to business already? What a shame."

"The men, Huang, who were they?"

"I would guess they were two of the Daoyun's dogs. The Haifeng failed to make a delivery, nor have they returned the money they were payed to make it. A fight is brewing."

"What was the delivery?"

"Drugs, I believe. I don't know the details. I'm not in favor with the Haifeng at the moment."

"And yet you were attacked."

"I have the name, that's all it takes to be dragged into mess after mess. You of all people should know that."

"Meaning?" Mikhail looked at him coldly.

"There's no escaping the name, is there? From the day your born, to the day you die, you're judged by it."

"I do things my own way." Mikhail set his foot down, coming alongside the bed. "People can judge me anyway they please."

"Still so mischevious. You haven't grown up at all, Mikhail."

"Oh, I think you'll find in some ways, I've become much more experienced." His eyelids lowered as he gave Huang an inviting look. "However, I suppose you aren't wrong." His eyes grew distant. "I was sent here to lose my innocence. Once I return to the homeland, I'll be expected to be a man. In the meantime, Macau is my playground. My Never Never Land. And I don't need to grow up."

"Never Never Land." Huang repeated slowly. "Strange, to me, Macau has always been the place I wanted most to leave behind. I would never have thought of it in such a pleasant light."

"They say the grass always looks greener on the other side."

"Oh? How is the grass on this side of the fence then, I wonder." Huang was smirking again.

Mikhail found himself returning the expression. "Since you're injured, why don't you stay a few days and judge for yourself?"

"Most generous. I think I'd enjoy that."

Mikhail chuckled before turning to head toward the door. He was brought up short by Huang's voice.

"Leaving so soon? I was hoping that meant you'd stay longer."

"You shouldn't presume anything with me, Huang. Good night." He didn't look back as he exited, making his way back to his own quarters. He didn't want Huang to see the pleased smile he could feel lighting his face.



There was business to attend to, always. Though he did make it a point to drop in on Huang atleast once a day. Huang did not even bother to hide his desire for him. Mikhail found his honesty in that respect utterly refreshing. It was three days later, two more than he'd anticipated, when he was called on by the Daoyun.

"Gentlemen, please have a seat." He greeted the two men who entered. Warily, they'd moved forward to sit across from him. "Sergei tells me you felt it was most urgent to see me. And yet I don't believe we've met."

"Our names are Bai, and Chen." The man guestured first to himself, then to his companion. "We've been sent by the Daoyun."

"So I've heard. To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit? We've had so little contact until now."

"We understand that Huang Haifeng has come into your care." Bai spoke slowly.

"Quite extraordinary that you've come by such information. Seeing as he hasn't been in a condition to leave his room yet."

"Please, don't misunderstand us, Arbatov. We don't wish to make trouble." Chen stated firmly.

"That's probably a good thing for you." Mikhail smirked as the two glanced at eachother - obviously uncomfortable.

"We would like to request that he be turned over to us."

"And what reason would I have to do such a thing?"

"Relations between us have never been bad."

"Relations between us have been rather non-existent. What can you offer me in return?" When the two exchanged another glance, Mikhail smirked. "I owe the Daoyun no favors. If you have nothing to offer me, I have no reason to comply with your wishes."

"Mikhail Arbatov, I'm not sure you understand the situation." Chen frowned.

"I'm almost certain I do. But do enlighten me. What is the situation?"

"This is a personal matter between the Daoyun and the Haifeng. There's no reason for your organization to be involved."

"You're right, of course, there is no reason for me to involve myself."

"I'm pleased to hear you say that."

"That's why I do not intend to hand him over."

Bai scowled. "This has nothing to do with you Arbatov! If you say you aren't involved, then why harbor him in your house!"

Mikhail's gaze was impassive as he leaned back in his chair. "You say that since I am not involved, I should hand him over to you to remain so. But, I wonder if the Haifeng would see it in that light." The two men stiffened. "I believe this conversation is over."

"It's unwise to make enemies." Bai glowered as they stood.

"Indeed is is. You should keep that in mind."

With stiff bows, the two exited.

Mikhail sat back in his chair, a contemplative look on his face, which was interrupted by a knock. "Enter."

Sergei entered slowly, eyes still on the men no doubt still on their way out of the hotel, before turning forward and closing the door. "Sir, two members of the Haifeng request an audience."

Mikhail blinked blankly for a moment, before recovering. "I take it you placed them out of the Daoyun's path."

"I took them to the bar to wait."

"very well." He stood, heading for the door. "I supposed I should go see what they want."

"The Daoyun did not look pleased." Sergei mentioned.

"I imagine not. But since they themselves mentioned we didn't have anything to do with this conflict, why should we take sides?" He left the door open behind him.

Left alone, the older man only shook his head and sighed. "This sounds like trouble already."




The two men had drinks, but they didn't look touched. Mikhail only slid into the seat, raising a hand to signal for his own drink. "Gentlemen, to what do I owe the pleasure? I do not believe we have met."

One man stiffened, but his companion remained unphased. "I have heard you are a hard man to deal with, Mikhail Arbatov."

"That might be true. I suppose it depends on your expectations."

"I see."

"I didn't catch your name."

"I imagine you didn't. I am Po Haifeng."

He made no mention of his companions name, nor did Mikhail ask for one. The Daoyun had sent simple messengers. The Haifeng had sent one of their own. He was starting to feel as if he was missing something. "And what brings you to my hotel?" He asked as his drink was set before him. "Aside from the delightful selection of liquor."

Po smiled. "While I'm sure you're wine is second only to your hospitality, I did not come for either. I'm sure you understand how recent actions of yours has caused some in my family to feel a bit worried."

"Truly? That seems an ungrateful way to respond to my saving the life of one of their own."

"Oh, we are most grateful for your kindness. Still, we can't help but worry, seeing as Huang has yet to return."

"You fear, perhaps, that I intend to hand him over to the Daoyun?"

"It was a concern of mine." Po mentioned, pulling his phone out of his pocket, he glanced at the screen. Whatever he saw their made him turn a thoughtful look on Mikhail. "But seeing as the Daoyun's representatives just drove off empty handed, I suppose that fear can be laid to rest?"

"Perhaps, but then again, perhaps not." Mikhail twirled the liquor in his glass. "Is there something in all of this for me, I wonder?"

"Our gratitude." Po suggested.

"You have already mentioned that. Nothing more substantial?"

"Is Huang your prisoner?"

"I assure you he is not."

"Then I may see him?"

"He's resting at this time. He was badly injured."

"Perhaps he would rest better amongst his own."

"Perhaps he is the best judge of that."

"Are you saying he wishes to stay here?"

"I'm saying I have not stopped him from leaving. His wishes are for him to say."

Po turned his gaze forward, thoughtful. "You understand my...concern in leaving him with you."

Mikhail's smile was mischievous. "Oh, I assure you, Huang is as safe with me as he wishes to be."

Po took a single sip from his glass, before standing. "Thank-you for your hospitality. We'll take our leave."

"Wouldn't you like to stay a bit longer? You should try our pool, it's most delightful!" Mikhail smirked when Po paused at the doorway to the bar.

The man turned a half-smile on him. "Perhaps another time, Mikhail Arbatov." With that, he exited. His silent companion following close behind.

Mikhail turned back to his drink, but his smile was gone. "Not in favor with the Haifeng at the moment, hm?" He repeated what Huang had said at their first meeting. For someone out of favor, everyone seemed most interested in him. Mikhail definately had a feeling Huang was holding back info. "Well then, I'll just have to pay him a visit." His smile returned, and he drained his glass.


To Be Continued...


This may seem like more set-up, but trust me, the plot is in motion. LOL Next chapter, Mikhail pays Huang a business visit. Think Huang's interested in business right now? Probably about as much as Mikhail is. ;) Please review!
Sign up to rate and review this story