Categories > Anime/Manga > Fruits Basket > Every Single One

Last Day

by LilyGinnyBlack 1 review

A flashback to the last day that Tohru spent with the Sohma's before they all lost their memories.

Category: Fruits Basket - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Characters: Kyo, Tohru - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2006-05-23 - Updated: 2006-05-23 - 3351 words

1Moving
Chapter Four: Last Day

A/N: Hello everyone! Sorry for the long wait, but school has been draining me of a thing called a life! -.- Yet, I will finish this story, so don't worry. I would just like to say thank you to any and all readers and reviewers! :) I incorporated some new information regarding Momiji in this chapter, just to let you know; anyway, I hope you enjoy the chapter.

~*~

The day had started off like any other day in the Sohma household. Tohru had woken up early as usual and was now preparing breakfast. She smiled happily and told Kyo "Good Morning", he had just come in from his morning training. Meanwhile, Shigure came tip-toeing into the kitchen, for his keen nose had smelt the wonderful food Tohru had cooked, and finally...A half sleeping Yuki walked into the room. Yes, everything was normal.

They set off for a normal half-day of school. As they set off for the building, Tohru caught her hand in theirs and they continued to make their way down the familiar route. The walk was mostly quiet with a few bits of scattered conversation. While everything seemed all too normal...it felt anything but that. Rather, the day felt very unsettled and the gloomy clouds over head did nothing but help this idea further.

A fog. That was how the school day passed by. What was said and what was done at that place was not important. All that could be made clearly out of the fog was the happiness and laughter that Tohru now feared would no longer be heard. She could clearly make out the sound of the bell going off. And it was after then that everything came into clear focus. For how could anyone forget the pain that was felt and shown that night?

When Kyo, Tohru, and Yuki (for some reason he did not have a student council meeting that day) accompanied by Haru and Momiji got back to Shigure's house...The happiness of that day was wiped away like the clear rain droplets that were now falling.

Shigure had came into the room a few minutes after they had all gotten into the house and he was looking serious, in a face that only Tohru had seen before, and told them about the little plan that had been put into action earlier. Tohru had just frozen in place while Momiji's once happy-go-lucky face turned into one of saddened seriousness. Yuki's head was bowed and silent tears were slowly and unknowingly flowing down his face.

While those three took the news calmly and quietly...The other two adolescences did not. Rather Haru had gone into Black Haru mode and Kyo had his hands clenched tightly into fists.

Hatsuharu's eyes were severely dark as was his face. Yet, instead of lashing out in either a physical or verbal form, he just stalked out of Shigure's house and outside where it was (now) only sprinkling. Tohru moved to go after him, but Shigure held her back. His usual goofy smile was in place, which was just too much for Kyo to take.

"What the hell is this all about? What's that bastard Akito thinking?" For, you see Shigure had seemed to forget to tell them that it was he who had come up with the plan and it was he who convinced Akito to go along with it.

"Why, I am positive that this plan is to simply rid Tohru-chan from our family. Nothing more and nothing less." He said all of this to the four left in the room with a calm and innocent face.

Kyo, in his rage, punched a hole through the wall and fiercely made his way to the roof with a, "Everyone is trying to destroy my house!" from Shigure and a cry of panic from Tohru, yet he continued outside not caring that the roof happened to be wet. Meanwhile, Yuki calmly made his way out of the room to another part of the house, and Tohru just stood there with Shigure and Momiji looking torn. Her eyes squinted up in sadness as she looked over at the dog cursed Sohma, "Do you think Haru-san is okay, Shigure-san? Where did he go?"

A moment of guilt flashed quickly through Shigure's eyes, for Tohru always seemed to be able to do that to him, and he quickly answered, "Haru-kun will be okay, Tohru-chan. He most likely went back to Kazuma's house to see and tell Rin of this news. And he won't get lost, when he goes into Black Haru mode, his sense of direction is nearly perfect."

This thought settled Tohru's nerves slightly, yet she was still rather unnerved. At first she didn't know who to comfort first; Kyo or Yuki or Momiji? Her mind wasn't made up until she heard the soft sobs of Momiji crying. His head was downcast and his large brown eyes hidden. As she looked at Momiji, who had grown so he could no longer wear his adorable clothes, she saw a small and broken child.

By now Shigure and Yuki had already left and Momiji was wiping the large and wet tears into the black fabric of his boys' uniform. "Momiji-kun..."

At the sound of his name he lifted his head and looked downward at Tohru, his eyes squinting slightly in sadness, and then he spoke in his new deep voice, "Tohru...You've been like a mother to me...I don't want to forget that and I don't want you to leave...Also, the curse...I...I was freed...I was freed from it the other day." He said all of this with a voice and eyes so sad, and yet, such news should only bring joy.

This large and shocking news that Momiji placed on Tohru's mind made her eyes widen and all thought process momentarily stop. What could she say? What could she do over such news, news that should bring happiness, but only showered Momiji in sadness and pain?

She didn't have to do anything though, Momiji reacted before she could. The feeling of him attacking her in a desperate hug. It felt different from all the other ones he had given her. There was no joy and no playfulness; there was only a desire for comfort. His arms, which had grown, wrapped around Tohru and she wrapped her arms around him. An embrace, yet, there was no poof of smoke and no cute little bunny Momiji.

He buried his face into her chest and spoke softly and in a voice that seemed on the verge of tears again, "Why did the curse have to break now? Why couldn't it have broken months ago instead of only yesterday? Now...Now that I can finally hug you...I'm going to forget. It isn't fair! You've been more of a mother to me then my own blood one...And I wanted to make more memories together...Memories in which I could hug you..." He trailed off, unable to speak anymore.

All was silent in the room for a moment, and then "Who's in the forest strolling? The birds and the bees sing Mo-miji. The frogs in the pond are ca-lling, Momiji, yes, it's true." Tohru stopped signing and looked down at the younger boy now crunched up in her arms. "Do you remember that song, Momiji-kun?"

She watched as he nodded his head. "Good. And I don't want you forgetting it...But even if you do...I won't." It was here that Tohru paused for a moment because Momiji released her from his hug. Now looking slightly upward into his face, she continued, "So long as one of us remembers, then the memory doesn't die. Nor will the other person ever truly forget it."

There, she had done it! She had given him the advice that he wanted to hear and there was no, "Mother said..." No. This was Tohru's own thoughts, own feelings, and own advice. It seemed as if her words had worked wonders on Momiji, too. He smiled at her and happily said, "After you talk to Kyo and Yuki, lets all go to the arcade! Will bring everyone and it will all be such great fun!" Tohru smiled back.

Nodding her head at the energetic blonde, she watched as he ran off to tell the others, the rain having completely stopped by now. But now she was right back at square one. Who should she go to first-Yuki or Kyo? She wanted to comfort Kyo...Wanted to spend her last hours with him...Wanted to be there for him. But she would have to see Yuki first; so she made her way through the rest of the house. Deciding that she should check his room and so, that was where she went. Up the stairs she went and then she turned left when she got to the second level of the house. Slowly she opened the door...

The room was empty. Yuki was no where in sight, but there was a note. Going over to the table she reached out her hand and wrapped here thin fingers around the thin paper. Unfolding the written message, Tohru looked down at the words that read:

Dear Honda-san,

Please don't worry about me. After learning that our memories are going to be erased of you; I have a feeling that all my memories of Machi will be erased as well. I...wish to tell her good-bye. I should be back home soon; I want to make sure that I have enough time to say good-bye to you also.

Yuki

She would see Kyo then.

~*~

Lonely, that was the feeling he always got when he looked at the house in front of him. He had wanted to give it warmth and happiness like Tohru had done for theirs.

He had to tell her today...He couldn't chicken out...He couldn't say that she wasn't ready for the information...He couldn't say that he would have time to do it tomorrow...He just couldn't! He no longer has the time; no longer had another day.

Step by step he made his way toward this sad event until he was standing right in front of the door. Yuki was ready to knock on the door when it opened and Machi was standing there. Her eyes, normally void of emotion, showed surprise. "Yuki! What are you doing here?"

Yuki felt himself blush, "I came to tell you something, Machi."

"Oh! Um...Please, come in." She quickly moved out of the doorway so Yuki could enter. Upon entrance, Yuki noticed that her house was abnormally clean, something that happened to be very un-Machi like.

"Why is your house so clean today?" he asked rather awkwardly.

She blushed when Yuki asked her this, "To tell you the truth...I don't know why I decided to clean the house today...I just did. I felt like I should and that's all."

After the response he was given, Yuki didn't quite know what to say in return, and what did come out was rather stupid to say the least, "Well, I'm glad that you did. The house looks nice." Yes, it had been stupid.

They both stood in the middle of the living room in silence. That is, until Yuki couldn't take it anymore. He was wasting precious time that he could be spending actually talking to Machi. So, without thinking, he came up close to Machi...So close that they were almost touching each other.

Machi stumbled backwards, her eyes were wide, and lips were slightly parted. A soft, "Y-Yu..." was all that was able to be released from her light pink lips.

For Yuki's mouth devoured hers in desperation. He backed her up against the wall with their lips still locked. As the heat from their lips radiated off into one another, Yuki wished to draw her closer. Slowly he leaned in closer, deepening the kiss by licking her bottom lip. Entrance was quickly given and soon they were both exploring the unknown crevices of each other's mouth. There was no struggle for dominance; only the longing for their lips and tongues to blend together; each desiring for more of the sweet taste that the kiss seemed to release. The kiss became more heated as they pushed down harder onto each other's lips...Until the feeling of lightheadedness came over them and they had to break apart for air.

They were both breathing heavily as they broke away; neither one able to look the other in the eye. The tension was thick in the room...So thick that even people who where not talented at seeing electrical waves, such as Hanajima Saki, would be able to see the bolts of lightening that seemed to pass between the two.

The silence was broken by two (in synch), "I'm sorry!" One was male and the other was female. Machi and Yuki looked at each other in shock and Machi happened to be biting her (slightly swollen) bottom lip.

"I...really didn't mean that...Machi. I don't regret kissing you...I just..." Yuki wasn't quite sure what to say, but Machi seemed to realize this.

"I wanted you to kiss me, really, I did. I've liked you for a while now...And lately I think I might be falling in love. When I first found out that you were nothing like a prince, my crush on you grew. After that you opened me up...Showed me that it was okay to be wrong and to show emotion...It was then that I...Yuki, I love you!" After her confession, so to say, Machi flung herself at him.

Reacting as quickly as he could, Yuki caught Machi before she touched his chest. The catch was a close call...Machi was so close they could see their reflection in the other's eyes.

Yuki' eyes went from shocked to mellow in only a minute or so. The way she clung to him...Gave him the courage to tell her the bit of information that he came here for, "When I thought about getting into a relationship, I told myself that I would be the giver rather than the receiver. And so, when I met you Machi, I knew that I would be able to do just that...I love you too Machi..." Just as Yuki was going to tell her how he would not be able to be with her, because he would no longer remember his feelings for her...She kissed him.

He tried to deny the power of that kiss, but he couldn't. The kiss overwhelmed his senses and he found himself responding; pressing his lips back onto hers and tongue sliding elegantly into her mouth. The kiss sent any logic, any reason, and knowledge...straight from Yuki's mind; leaving him with only heightening emotions of love and passion.

Yuki wanted to tell her that she should just forget about him. Wanted to say that he wouldn't remember her...But he couldn't. If he did it would ruin this last moment between them; he couldn't do that to her. So, he came to the conclusion that some things were better left unknown.

He stayed with Machi quite a long while after he thought this.

~*~

Making her way from Yuki's room, Tohru headed outside. Rounding the side of the house; she climbed up the ladder that lead up to the roof. Besides the fact that the ladder was still lightly damp from the earlier rain, Tohru also noticed that it was quiet, much too quiet, so when Tohru found a sleeping Kyo...She wasn't surprised. She felt a small and sad smile make its way across her face. She would let him sleep, yes, letting his last moments be peaceful ones. So, as she started making her way back down the ladder she whispered, "Good-bye...Kyo." already beginning to feel small tears forming in the corner of her eyes.

"Where do you think you're going, Tohru?" Hearing Kyo's voice shocked her for a moment. "I wasn't sleeping; ya know...I was just closing my eyes. Trying to take everything in and not letting my anger get the best of me."

"Oh! Um...I was...That is..." Tohru found herself becoming amazingly flustered and tongue-tied. She fell silent after a minute or so; realizing that she wasn't getting anywhere. Face bright red, she just tightened her grip on the ladder and kept her head downward.

"Well, come on up, it's not any different from all the other times." Both knew those words to be false, this time was different from all the others. This was the last time that Tohru would be able to sit on the roof and talk to Kyo. Yet talk, they didn't do.

Once Tohru was settled on the roof and sitting down next to Kyo (who was no longer lying down, but rather sitting)...She first found that the roof was considerably dry, which surprised her because it hadn't been that long ago since it had rained, and the second thing that felt was Kyo's hand intertwine with hers. No surprised reactions and no words. Tohru just responded by placing her head upon Kyo's shoulder. Both wanting to tell the other, "I love you." But both were too afraid of the answer that they might receive.

~*~

The noise of multiple video games being played all at the same time; this was what met the ears of eight Sohma's and one Honda. The moment that they entered the dark arcade, Haru and Rin immediately took off into a dark corner, where they took residence for the rest of their time there.

"Hiro, I want to play that." The small voice of Kisa could be heard only slightly to the others ears over the blaring noise. Her finger was pointing toward a crowded Dance Dance Revolution system.

Hiro was about to protest, but after having matured slightly over the years and being unable to say no to Kisa, only responded with, "I don't know why you want to play that dumb but come on!" he said the last part slightly on the harsh side as he dragged her over to the ever growing crowd.

Momiji, who was much more chipper than just an hour or so ago, and Kagura, who has quite awhile ago gave up on Kyo, had almost instantly vanished into the maze of multiple video games.

That just left Tohru, Yuki, and Kyo. Tohru got worked up and kept apologizing to the screen as she accidentally ran over people in the racing game that she was playing, and easily loosing. Kyo just rolled his eyes and Yuki let a shadow of a smile cross his face. After that little escapade, Kyo tried his hand at a shooting game, at which Tohru thought he was shooting real people and in a panicky yell asked Kyo to stop. When Kyo was finished playing the game and Tohru had calmed down, she asked Yuki if he wanted to try any games, he had simply told her that he was happy to just be there. So as their laughs and smiles mixed together with all those normal people...for that small amount of time...They forgot...

The day had started off normal, but that night ended in the shadow of a painful difference.

~*~

A/N: Well, there you go everyone! That is the end of Chapter Four. I didn't really like this one all that much and had found it difficult to write, but I'm positive that the next chapter will be much better. Please tell me what you thought about it in a review! :) Now, for the preview for the next chapter, which I should have up much sooner than this one:

Chapter Five: Will You Still Be My Friend?

It's Tohru's first day back to school after the incident. She has to deal with Uo-chan, Han-chan, the thought of staying away from Yuki-kun, Kyo-kun, Momiji-kun, and Hatsuharu-san, and finally...She remembers that day.

I hope that you stay tuned for the Chapter Five! :D

~Lily~
Sign up to rate and review this story