Categories > Original > Fantasy > Monsters

Monsters

by Will2672 0 reviews

Dimitrius is moving towards his goal, however followers of an extremist religion will stop at nothing to prevent this.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2011-05-01 - Updated: 2011-08-18 - 2702 words - Complete

0Unrated
{DISCALIMER!!! = I OWN EVERYTHING!! ANY ATTEMPT TO PLAGERISE THIS MATERIAL IS STEALING!!}

Author's Note: This is an extract from my sequel novel. I descided to put it on here to see what people think, before I attempt to publicize my series. Reviews are extreemly welcome. Feedback is much appreciated!!! I hope you enjoy!!!




13:36pm 3rd January 1000

Footsteps. Running, stomping, creeping footsteps. Advancing ever closer through the dusty landscape.

*

“What do you think Eric’s up to?” Dimitrius questioned, looking Mhoes up and down. A frown was spreading across his slightly aged face as the silver in his hair caught the light.
“He’s attempting to build some kind of army…” the young, dark skinned, man said, running his hand over his stubble-like platinum blonde hair.
“An army?” the war veteran stammered, placing his hands on the gritty wood of the table in front of him.
“Nothing serious though…” Mhoes sighed. “Its too small to be a significant threat to you. The more troublesome thing is what the army consists of…”

*

Still they continued. As the gravel and dust swarmed behind them, like some kind of shroud, their tracks were revealed in the dirt.
There were four of them.

*

“What are they?” Dimitrius questioned.
“Humans…” the dark skinned man said, deathly serious.
“Just humans…” Dimitrius asked, somewhat perplexed. In the space between his goatee beard, his mouth twisted into a confused expression. “Just ordinary humans?”
“Not exactly…” came Mhoes’ response.
“Why ‘not exactly’?”
“Because they cant really be called humans anymore… They’ve been…changed…”
“Changed?”
“Mhmm…” Mhoes hummed, a slightly worried expression flashing across his face.
“How so?”
“I’m not quite sure how to explain it…”

*
“We’re getting clossse…” hissed a slightly high-toned, rasping, voice. “I can sssmell ittt…”
Digging his feet into the earth, the owner ceased his fast paced run and ‘stared’ back at his three comrades.
Peeling back his top lip, the man revealed his animal-like teeth as he, again, began to speak: “He’sss nearby…About one kilometre wessst… We’ll ssshow him that he cant run away from massster Eric and get away with ittt!!”

*

“He’s what!!?” Dimitrius blurted out, beginning to pace around the room. “That’s… that’s impossible!!”
“Maybe, but he’s done it…” came the mumbled reply. “All he’d need is to get his hands on some of it…”
“But where the hell did he find sacred water!? It’s a myth! A legend!!”
“Doesn’t matter where he got it. We just know that he has it and it’s a serious problem if you wanna get through that mountain pass. Got his entire ‘god squad’ posted all the way along it and I doubt even you could just break through without a plan…”
“Then you tell me what it can do to them!” Dimitrius said, scowling. “If the water really can alter humans, what does it do!?”
Mhoes sighed deeply before he finally decided to tell the war leader the truth. It was his most guarded secret. “It…it makes humans, more like animals. Makes them stronger, faster…and damn hard to kill.”
“How so?”
“It’s a bit scientific… Do you want me to go into the details?”
“I don’t care…”
“Okay…you know how, when you’re injured, your body heals itself?” the young man began. “Well the reason why it does this is due to the dead cells being replaced by stem cells from your bone marrow. But…in your life you can only ever produce a certain number of these stem cells. That’s until Eric came along with his sacred water. Now…all living things are made of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen. The sacred water acts as a kind of ‘super-producer’ of carbon. Ordinarilly, this would be impossible, but the water... It's almost as if it has been irradiated with magic. The molecules are able to duplicate themselves and break down, forming the hydrogen and oxygen from the water itself. and, because it's surrounded by body tissue, due to it being injected directly into the bloodstream, the carbon is duplicated as well, allowing the body to create more stem cells… The effect of this is rapid regeneration and self healing. This is a VERY big problem for us…”
“And why is that?”
“Fire spell to the head would kill a man, wouldn’t it?” Dimitrius nodded. Mhoes shook his head. “Nah, not these things…Grows back. Like a tree but sped up. I seen it!”

*

“We’re here!” hissed the same raspy voice as earlier. Its owner had now ceased it’s terrifying pace and was standing at his formidable height of 6 foot 3. His sleek muscular build seemed to slightly ripple as he moved his arms back and forth. Breaking into a wide grin his beast-like teeth instantly came into view behind his messy veil of black hair that surrounded his face. One would have thought that this hair obscured his vision. This was not true. The reason for this was that this man was blind. Wrapped around his face, from the bridge of his nose upwards, behind his thick fringe, were bandages.
Sniffing heavily at the air, the man’s grin grew wider.
“Dimitriusss and…sniffsniff*…a sssnack!” he hissed as glee filled his raspy voice.

13:46pm 3rd January 1000

Turning towards his three comrades, the man raised his arms to his sides, beckoning them towards him.
“Thiss iss a chanssse to have revenge from the injussstice we’ve sssuffered!” he rasped. “It iss time to ssshow thesse capitalisst scum what we are made off!!”
Pumping their fists in the air, his three companions let out a deep battle cry. They all had the same teeth.
“Now, move out!!” the man roared hoarsely, shaking his head so that his bandage slipped down a fraction.

*

He could still remember the day it happened. Before he was altered. The day he lost his eyes.
He had been protesting with the other members of his church, outside the palace in Mithreal City. All they were trying to do was bring understanding to the masses. Preaching the word of master Eric.
Needless to say, the guards had captured him. He was held for weeks. He never thought the torture would end. He knew why they were doing it to him. They were trying to find out where master Eric was. They were trying to stop the words he was saying.
When they asked him to show them where the master was, they gave him a choice: Lead them to the church or lose his eyes.
He refused.
Even now he could remember the harsh words of his tormentor as the bright white poker, glowing from the heat, was raised to his face: “Burn the insolence out of his eyes!”
Then they asked him to tell them where the church was. His answer was the same. That was when they raised the poker again. They were attempting to burn his tongue out.
If the other members of the faith hadn’t shown up when they did, he would have lost that as well. He was left permanently blind and sporting an obvious lisp.
But now! Now he was altered. Now he had a trick up his sleeve and he knew that if he succeeded at this then master Eric would reward him. He may even make him a Bishop of the faith!

*

Descending the side of the ravine, they entered the campsite. Slinking between the fabric of the tents, they moved with unnoticed stealth. Like expert hunters encircling their prey.
Sniffing the air, the animalistic preachers neared the furthest of the tents. He was in there. They knew that much.
Bursting through the entrance, they bent their shoulders, ready to pounce, as the two occupants rose to their feet.
“Speak of the devil and he shall appear!” Mhoes groaned. “We were just talking about you!”
“Devil?” hissed the blind man, sniffing heavily. “I can sssmell only one devil here!”
“Racist scum…!” Dimitrius hissed under his breath.
“I heard that!” the blind man hissed. “You think thessse earsss are jussst for ssshow!?”
“Who are you?!” Dimitrius spat out, pulling back his top lip and baring his teeth. “What do you want!?”
“Sssasssel!!” he replied, breaking into a wide, toothy, grin.
“Sasel?!” Dimitrius repeated. Looking the man up and down.
“Yesss…” Sasel said, still grinning. “I’m here to bring you back to massster Eric!”
“Screw you!” Dimitrius said, shaking his head. “There’s no way I’m letting you take me back to that racist piece of filth!”
“I think it’sss bessst if you co-operate!!” Sasel hissed from between his sharp, pointed, teeth.
Slowly raising his hand, Dimitius had a thought. Lifting his palm into the air, he made several simple movements in front of Sasel’s face. Sure enough, the man didn’t react. His assumption was correct. This man was blind.
He could use this to his advantage. All he’d have to do is make sure he said the name of a spell quiet enough. But, with the way this guy’s hearing was, that wasn’t going to be easy.
“I wouldn’t try that if I were you!” Sasel chuckled. Dimitrius was dumbfounded. How did he know? “You’re wanting to know how I knew you were going to try and ussse a ssspell, aren’t you?”
Again, he was stunned. His mouth may even have been hanging open.
“Sssimple!” he said. “You’re predictable. I’ve learnt everything there isss to know about you, Dimitriusss!!”
“How!?”
“Ssstudying of courssse!!” he laughed, still displaying that prominent grin. “We were warned about you! You’re a dangerousss man! You and your absssurd ideasss about cultural equality! Your ideasss about interbreeding!!” He spat to the side. “It makesss me want to vomit!”
Dimitrius glared at him. He hated these kinds of people. The kind of people that assumed that they were better than everyone else. So these were the followers that flocked to Eric’s banner.
It was then that he moved. No…moved wasn’t the correct expression. Blurred. Sasel blurred forwards. That was how fast it happened. Clasping Dimitrius around the arm, he looked sidelong at him.
“What the…” Dimitrius stammered, trying to make sense of the situation.
“You’re coming with me!” Sasel responded. “Whether you want to or not!!” Turning towards his cohorts, he jerked his head toward Mhoes before saying: “Ssslaughter the devil!”
“What?!” Dimitrius roared, attempting to fight his restraint. “NO!!”
It was too late. As soon as he attempted to break free from Sasel’s vice like grip, he was flung with tremendous force from the tent. Rolling along the dusty landscape, Dimitrius raised his head. Sasel was standing above him.
“Jussst lay there and watch, old man!” he grinned as Mhoes was dragged from the tent by the two others. Turning towards this scene, Sasel raised one hand to signal his release. “Let him down! We want to get a bit of fun out of him!”
As the dark skinned man was thrown to the floor, he let out a low groan. Digging his fingers into the earth he rose to his feet.

13:57pm 3rd January 1000

“My Godsss!” Sasel laughed. “He’sss actually willing to fight usss! I havent ssseen anything like that, in a coon’sss age!”
Spitting to the side, Mhoes shifted his body sideways and raised his fists in front of his face. Sprinting forwards, he struck out with one fist and attempted to punch Sasel in the face.
As soon as the fist came within range to affect the air current, Sasel had moved. He had felt it coming towards him and dodged.
“My, my!” he laughed. “No ssspear!?”
“Y’know what?!” Mhoes grunted. “I’m going to enjoy beating that face of yours!”
“Wrong,” Sasel sneered. “Thrassshingsss are for ssslavesss. I am no ssslave!”
“Really!?” Mhoes spat out. “Seems to me like you’re a slave to Eric.”
Sasel’s face ticked. What Mhoes had said obviously unnerved him. Baring his teeth, he let out a brief groan of anger.
“Ssslave…?” he hissed. “Me?!!”
Thrashing forwards he struck out, blindly, with his right hand. The movement was so fast that Mhoes barely dodged and this, in itself, was only due to the slight inaccuracy of the strike.
“I am no ssslave!” he roared. “I am enlightened! My eyesss have been opened to who the ssslaves ssshould be! Opened to the realisssation of who isss worthy to ssstand in the kingdom of Gods!!”
Jumping backwards, Mhoes avoided yet another swipe. How the hell was this guy getting so close to him!? He was supposed to be blind.
“Ssspacial awareness my friend!!” Sasel laughed, leaping forwards and taking another swipe. “I know where you are becaussse of everything around me!! The sssound of your feet in the earth. The air currentsss created asss you move!! I don’t need eyesss to kill you, you piece of ssshit!!!”
It was then that his cohorts finally made a move. Rapifly placing themselves behind Mhoes, they grasped him around the arms and held him in place.
Suddenly appearing in front of his dark skinned enemy, Sasel thrust his arm forwards and planted his fist in his opponent’s abdomen. Partially doubling over, Mhoes gagged as he coughed up a dark red liquid.
“Ready to accept your sssinsss boy!!?” Sasel sneered. “Or are we going to keep thisss up?!”
“Screw you!” he spat out in response, still fighting the restraint.
“Hmmmm….” chuckled Sasel. “Ssstubborn guy, aren’t we?” He punched him again.
“When I get out of thisss I am ssso going to kill you!! Sssssss!!!” Mhoes mocked, hissing through his teeth.
“No need to be harsssh!” Sasel hissed, slamming yet another punch into the man’s abdomen.
His ears suddenly pricked up. Leaping to the side, he avoided the blade of a sword that had been swung at his previous location.
“Let him go!” Dimitrius roared, slowly moving the blade of his sword in an arc. “Don’t make me kill you!”
“Kill usss?” Sasel laughed. “You think you’d be able to kill usss with that piece of metal?”
“If this wont kill you then why did you dodge?” Dimitrius sneered.
“Inssstinct!!” Sasel retorted. “Inssstinct isss how everything fightsss. It isss what allowsss usss to win!!”
“I’m not buying it!”
Sasel hissed towards him, baring his teeth. Suddenly softening his expression, he called over his shoulder towards his comrades: “Let him go! I’ll take them both by myssself!!”

14:00pm 3rd January 1000

“What did you say?!” cried out Romiel, rapidly standing up, resulting in his chair toppling over.
“I said, our scouts have observed four figures heading towards Dimitrius’ camp!” the man repeated.
“What did they look like?”
“Not much came back from the reconnaissance. Apparently they were moving so fast that no-one really got a look at them.”
“What?!”
“The only information that came back was that they were wearing completely white uniforms,” the man responded.
Romiel’s eyes snapped open wide, resulting in his iron grey hair swaying in front of his amber pupils. “Oh no…”he whispered.
“What’s up?” the man questioned, his worried gaze strengthening as he stared at the grey-haired youth.
“It’s Eric’s church!” Romiel burst out, suddenly sprinting towards the tent’s exit, almost tripping over his char in the process. Tearing through the fabric, he continued to dash across the landscape. The man who had informed him of this news was trailing behind him.
“What is there to worry about!?” the man called out, somewhat panting. “Dimitrius is a war hero. A ruler of a nation. He has diplomatic protection! They wouldn’t dare touch him! He’s not worth the repercussions!!”
“They don’t care about that!!” Romiel called over his shoulder, his fringe whipping wildly around his face. “Knowing the members of Eric’s church-! No! Knowing Dimitrius, they won’t stop until they’ve killed each other!!”
Deepening his amber gaze as he ran, a horror stricken thought flashed across Romiel’s mind, clouding his thoughts more than the dust clouds emanating from his feet clouded his vision: “God, I hope they haven’t started killing each other yet!!”
Sign up to rate and review this story