Categories > Original > Drama > Helpless

Helpless

by _Kira_ 0 reviews

PG-13 AND UP...ENJOY

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Warnings: [V] [Y] - Published: 2011-05-01 - Updated: 2011-05-02 - 1239 words

0Unrated
There are times when you look back at something and laugh.
Other times, you are proud of what you did.
Even other times, you know what you did was right.

This wasn't any of those...

To laugh, to be proud of yourself...to know right from wrong...
Well, it's too late for any of that.
So here I stand, a gun at my head and nowhere to escape...Just for the sake of it...
I might as well pay back for all the things I have done in my life.
It's time...


"Want to tell me where we're going now?" She asked once more.
Her father insisted that she come with him. That he wanted to show her something.
"Calm down, Cassie. We're almost there." He responded.
Cassandra Burns was merely a 16 year old sophmore. She had the innocence of a little girl waiting for her daddy to come home. Not a single clue of how awful things have gotten in the world around her.
Then again, of course she wouldn't.
Not with a daddy like hers.
"We here yet?" Cassie insisted.
The car slowed down and she sat up to find out.
"We're here."
She took it in. They had parked in a driveway too a large, two-story house. Painted white and obviously just built and for sale.
"This place is beautiful." She whispered.
The yard reached far, not a house for a couple yards and a garden growing in the front.
"This place is our new home." Her father, Derek Burns, announced.
She looked to him and he waited for the words to come out.
"Daddy! Are you serious?" She questioned.
"Absolutely. We'll be gone by Saturday and getting comfy here." Derek laughed.
Cassie let out the awaited shrilling squeal of hers and threw herself onto him. He hcuckled and held her tight as she jumped up and down excitedly.
She then jumped out of the car and started to roam around the yard, her squeals let out.
With no mind of staring eyes from the cars passing by, she twirled on the fresh grass.
She was lucky for what she had.
Rich parents with a little brother and newborn baby sister, the high-standard education, and the perfect life that awaited her.
At the moment, nothing seemed to get any better than this.
Everything was going so perfect...

Two Months Later

"Are you Cassandra Burns?"
Cassie nodded in confusion. What had happened for police officers to pull her out in the middle of class.
"Please take a seat." One of the officers offered.
Cassie made her way to the chair and hesitantly sat down.
This did not seem well.
"What is this about, officers?" She asked in a low voice.
"This is about your family. It seems that they've had a car accident this morning." The same officer answered.
"What? Are they okay?" Cassie questioned in sudden concern.
"I'm afraid not." The officer replied.
The other sighed and bent down in front of Cassie. He looked her in the eye and she could see the pity.
"Your parents and brother died in the accident. They were hit by a speeding truck. I'm sorry for your loss." He said slowly and so carefully.
Cassie stayed silent for a long moment, just staring into his eyes.
"Is this a joke? Where is my family? Where is my sister?" She questioned in rising anger.
"Miss Burns, your sister is at home with the nanny. We haven't gone to them yet. We thought you should get there instead." He said standing and moving to his partner's side once more.
Casse looked down at the ground and shook her head.
"What kind of sick joke is this?" She muttered and stood with such force, the hair went falling back.
"Miss Burns, please calm down." The first officer attempted.
"No! I want to see my family!" She yelled, her face turning red from the anger.
"Your family is gone!" The second officer repeated with accidental force.
Cassie froze in her place, and her head rose slowly to face the officers.
This was real...it was really happening.
As quick as her anger rose, it fell.
Melancholiness replaced it and she fell to her knees in immediate burst of tears.
She sobbed loudly and grabbed at the ground as if there was something to change this.
As if there was a way to turn it all around.

The door opened and Cassie rushed in past the nanny. The officers followed behind.
Cassie made her way to her sister's nursery.
Once she was in, she ran to the crib.
There she lay sleeping with no idea of what has happened.
"Don't worry. I'm still here, Abby." She cooed to her baby sister.
She sighed and picked up her sister careful to not wake her up.
She rubbed the baby's back the let the tears flow from her red, itchy eyes.
"I'm going to protect you no matter what. I won't let anything happen to you..."

One Year Later

"Cassie! Table two!"
Cassie sighed and grabbed out her pad and pencil.
"Welcome to Nate's. May I take your order?" Cassie asked the couple.
As soon as she finished, she handed the paper to the chef and sat down on a stool at the bar.
She had just started working here.
She had to move from the beautiful new house, and move into an apartmant. She had to leave the private school and move to a public school.
She had to work a few jobs to keep her sister and herself alive for the past year.
"So, liking it here in the urban part of Los Angeles so far?"
Cassie turned on the stool to see another girl that worked there.
The girl was fairly beautiful. Cassie has seen her around but never talked to her.
Bright, blue eyes with strawberry blonde hair and tanned skin. Tall with a fit body and a bright,white smile.
She seemed too happy to be working at this age. Or at least, she seemed young.
"Why do you ask that?" Cassie finally answered.
"Well, judging by the clothes you wear, you are not exactly poor." The girl laughed and sat down beside her.
"Actually, I am. I have a couple jobs around here to be able to pay my apartment. I've got two mouths to feed." Cassie corrected the girl.
"Oh...you got kids?" The girl said in a low voice.
"No, of course not. I've only got my little sister." Cassie murmured letting her eyes drift to the floor.
"Well, what about your parents?" The girl asked.
Cassie stayed silent refusing to let tears come back. She hadn't cried in months and she would like to keep it that way.
"Forget it. You look like you don't want to talk about it. My name is Jenny." The perky blonde changed the subject.
"Cassie." Cassie answered back in a low voice.
Jenny left Cassie to be alone and went back to taking orders and serving the food.
Cassie sat silent and keeping her eyes on the ground.
This was her life now.
Working up to four jobs, living in an apartment, getting awful education.
Nothing she expected to happen and it wasn't getting any better.
She was left, helpless to take care of herself and her too young baby sister.
How long exactly could she survive the life she is not accustomed to?
How long exactly until a miracle happens?

[>
Sign up to rate and review this story