Categories > Original > Horror

Mirror Hell

by Mistaken-Vampire 1 review

Would you have seen the same in the mirror? Only a small story another to follow if you like it.

Category: Horror - Rating: G - Genres: Horror - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2011-05-11 - Updated: 2011-05-11 - 1190 words - Complete

0TrainWreck
All it took was that stare. Those icy blue eyes pierced through me I could see his eye contact with me but I knew he was looking further. He saw my soul. I couldn't tell what was between us but I knew whatever it was I wasn't allowed to be with him.

*

I let out a stretch as I awoke from my last sleep of this earth. I looked around my room knowing I would never come back here but I couldn't think why. I looked at my mahogany dresser and where my new mirror was placed upon. I went over to the chair that had my dress draped over it. I picked up looking at it and all of a sudden my worries went away. I put it on and looked down to see my chest and torso tightly held into the rusted red corseted top. My skirt was now puffed out and was the same rusted red but with a black lace pattern over the back of it. I looked in the mirror to see where the creases where. As I turned around to look at the back of the skirt I saw a small flame at the bottom of the lace rapidly making its way up. I looked down at my skirt to see nothing there and in haste looked up at the mirror again saw nothing had happened. Just a figment of my imagination.
I went down stairs to carry on my usual routine. I sat at the table as my mother made my breakfast of eggs and bacon. I smelt the soft smell of burning but not that of the food. I skimmed across our dining room. Mother and Father had decided to bring their love of Victorian fashion home. Everything from head to toe was Victorian. We even had a Victorian mansion. We had no mobiles the only time I ever had one was when I go out to get new books to study from. I was on a course that meant I could study at home in comfort which was helpful seeing as I was home schooled so I was not used to the company of other people. But as of late Mother and Father had found a job at the local museum as actors who bring history to life. This meant I was left alone to roam our mansion from head to toe and all day long. Only once a week I would need to go out but when I did I would do it early in the morning and keep my usual clothes on and get what I need as quick as possible then head home and lock myself in.
I went up to my room to sort out my hair. Putting on the vinyl as always, I listened to my favourite nursery rhyme Oranges and Lemons. I pulled my hair up together letting the soft golden brown locks fall softly down the exposed part of my back. From behind my arms I could see swirls of smoke dance their way up the wall on the other side of my room. I turned around quickly to see nothing then turned back to see the fire. It was only soft but it had made its way up to the second floor I was on. I looked around in disbelief after all the other mistakes that I had thought through that day to find it was true. I panicked not sure what to do. I went over to it to try my best to put it out. I stood on it and tried stomping it out but in the haste of it all it caught the bottom of my trailing dress. It burnt it up half way until I dropped and rolled to get the fire out. It had burnt my dress into a jagged line around the rim. Where I had once had my corset beautifully clean and crease free I now have a hole by my left side at the bottom of my rib cage. And I had ashes all over me and it seemed to stain my clothing.
I didn't know what to do and all I could hear was 'here comes the candle to light you to bed' on repeat and it echoed through my head like a ghost getting slower and slower and more haunting until it got to a stage where I hit the vinyl player on my table and looked around at the mirror when booming through my head 'here comes the chopper to chop off your head' as I met his gaze.
We stayed looking at each other and I was unsure on what to do. I couldn't take my eyes off him. It came flooding back but I was still unsure on what I was doing. It seemed like I had stayed there a lifetime watching him. As I stayed watching him I could feel my skin getting burnt off my face. I had the searing pain getting harder and harder and I had it going now carrying down my body taking my breath and sizzling down my arms at a rapid pace. It got to my fingers and I could feel under my fingernails boil as the blood increased in heat and my fingernails popped off of what was once my hand. I still didn't leave his gaze as it worked its way down my body and by the time I felt it on my hips I was at the point of not being able to move in case it made me feel worse. I gave in and lifted my hand and put my fist through it. As the face that had once been together I could see it crumble as the glass fell down and hit bare ground. I looked down to see it was a floor that should be like glass but was covered in what was a wash of red and orange fire colour. In disbelief I looked at my arms to see they were back to normal and no more pain. I patted down my face and let out a sigh of relief which dissolved into a low laugh that was not mine. I followed the sound as I turned around to see him standing behind me. Those eyes where now looking at me menacingly up and down.
I could hear a murmur in my head and as I saw him eye to eye again I could hear it clearer. "Well done that is lesson one learnt on how to survive here. But also the biggest mistake made. You have lost your way out of here. You nearly didn't make it in the structure that you did. Most people just let the fire consume them and break down but as I was told you really are stronger. So enjoy your stay you will be here for oh … ever. But what can I say. Its hell for you" and then I heard his low laugh again and then that was it. I was left on my own in this burning inferno that was going to be my final resting place.
Sign up to rate and review this story