Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Surviving High School

~*~If Only You Knew How Much...~*~

by Rebel009 3 reviews

Kagome and Inuyasha have always been best friends, but Inuyasha has always wanted to take it further. Now, in their final year of high school, will Inuyasha be able to confess his true feelings for...

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome - Published: 2006-05-25 - Updated: 2006-05-26 - 2006 words

0Funny
A/N: I don't own Inuyasha, and this story is a definite Inu/Kag, never, never, never, Inu/Kik. I think Kikyo must die!!!)

Chapter One

BEEEEP!!BEEEEP!!

"Come on, Kagome. We're gonna be late!!" came a call from outside the Higurashi Shrine. Inuyasha sat in his silver convertible while impatiently waiting for said girl. Kagome Higurashi came running down the steps, waving goodbye to her family before jumping into the passenger side. She was seventeen, had long, raven-black hair, and warm chocolate brown eyes. She was wearing blue jeans, a thin strapped, white tank top, and a green, plaid over shirt which she left unbuttoned.

She tossed her backpack into the back seat and buckled her seatbelt as Inuyasha peeled out of the driveway. He was eighteen, had long, silver hair, dog ears at the top of his head, and gold eyes that intimidated just about everyone except Kagome and his other close friends, Sango and Miroku. He wore baggy mechanics jeans with silver chains at the sides and a black shirt that said 'It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious'.

Their small group of four had been together throughout eighth grade and into senior year of high school. But Kagome and Inuyasha had been best friends since kindergarten. Inuyasha had always been labeled as an outcast because he was a hanyou, a half-demon. He never really fit in with anybody, and the other kids made sure it stayed that way. Until the day when Kagome stuck up for him in front of the entire playground. They had been close ever since.

"Thanks for picking me up, Inuyasha. My stupid car broke down again," Kagome said as they pulled up to the school parking lot. He parked in the back row and reached for their packs.

"No prob, I still say you should burn the damn thing." he said, climbing out of the car.

"I've been thinking about it." she said thoughtfully, as she took her backpack from her friend. They headed towards their lockers which were coincidentally, right next to each other. Even more strange, they had all the same classes. But they weren't about to question it. Kagome closed the door to her locker and leaned against the wall.

"So, what are you doing this weekend?" she asked. Inuyasha shrugged.

"I dunno. Probably hang out with you guys, like usual." Five minutes before the final bell, and the two headed towards the English hall. Suddenly the main entrance doors burst open.

"KAGOME!! WHERE THE HECK WERE YOU?" came a voice from the figure inside the door frame.

"Huh?" Kagome asked, turning around. There stood Sango, eyes burning with anger as she stomped towards her friend, Miroku following close behind. She was wearing tan capris and a black t-shirt. Her hair was also black and pulled into a loose ponytail. Miroku had short black hair that was in a small ponytail, and was wearing black jeans with silver chains and a white t-shirt.

"Oh, hey Sango. What's up?" Kagome asked nervously, not sure why her friend's wrath was pointed in her direction.

"Don't what's up me!! Where the heck were you this morning?" Sango cried.

"What are talking abou..." Kagome paled suddenly, she started mumbling softly. "Oh no, I knew I forgot something this morning." Inuyasha tried to hold in his laughter.

"That's right you forgot something!! I had to hitch a ride with the hentai over here. Do you know what kind of cruel and unusual punishment that is?!"

"Your words hurt me deeply, my dear Sango," Miroku said, faking a hurt look.

"I'm really sorry, Sango. I totally forgot. My car broke down again and I had to ask Inuyasha for a ride, I totally forgot about picking you up..... Don't kill me!!" Kagome yelled, hiding in fear behind Inuyasha. Sango calmed down instantly, and smiled at her cowering friend.

"Who said anything about killing you, Kag," she said sweetly. Kagome sighed in relief and stepped out from her sanctuary. "I just want to maim you!!" Sango continued, preparing to strangle her neck.

"No!!" Kagome shrieked as she sprinted down the hall, trying desperately to loose the hysterical girl. Inuyasha and Miroku burst out laughing as the two girls came flying back in their direction. Kagome rushed back to her safe spot behind Inuyasha, using him as a human shield, crying 'save me, save me, save me'. Miroku grabbed Sango by the arms and dragged her to their first period, which was Calculus, (A/N: Damn smart people) while Inuyasha and Kagome walked to their English Lit. class. She was relieved by the fact that they didn't see Sango again that day until fifth period, lunch, .....and by then there would be too many witnesses.
***************************
By fourth period, Inuyasha and Kagome were sitting in the Chemistry lab, trying hard to listen to the speech the professor was giving. He started talking about labs that would require partners, but soon they lost interest. Kagome was staring out the window when she felt something hit the side of her hand, it was a note:

"Hey Kagome;

We gonna be partners again this year?

Inuyasha"

She quickly scribbled down a reply and waited for the teacher to turn his back before flicking to his side of the table.

"Inuyasha;
Yeah, if you want. Just don't explode anything this time, I'm still trying to get that green crap out of my jeans!!

Kagome"

Inuyasha smirked and folded the note. The bell rang and the students rushed out of the room, leaving Kagome and Inuyasha in the dust. They took their time collecting their things and walked out the door down to the cafeteria. Kagome was still afraid that Sango was holding a grudge, but she appeared to have forgotten it.... so death had decided to not pay Kag a visit that afternoon. Well, almost, Sango did kick her under the table a few times, but other than that all was forgiven.
***************************
Lunch period ended quickly and soon PE rolled around, the last period of the day. That was one of the few classes the four of them had together. Unfortunately they had the worse course, swimming. Kagome and Sango didn't mind it so much, since they were on the school diving team, but lap swim and diving were two totally different things.

Inuyasha had red swim trunks and pulled his hair back to keep it out of his face. Miroku had black swim trunks. Sango wore the school water polo which was a blue two piece, the top being like a small tank top instead of a bikini top. Kagome wore the top of the school suit and matching board shorts with 'surfer girl' printed on the right side.

They had each swam their daily twenty laps, lap swim was a total blow off class, they hardly were even paid attention to. Sophomores were required to take swimming lessons, so they required more of the coach's time. The lap swim was made up of three juniors and five seniors, three of them being on the swim team. Now that they were finished, they could spend time goofing off.

Kagome and Sango practiced diving off the two diving boards while Inuyasha and Miroku watched, occasionally doing flips and dives of their own. Sango was good, Inuyasha noticed, but Kagome was better. She was more flexible and was able to make the hardest moves seem natural, but she was very modest about it.

They had a dive meet almost every weekend, and Inuyasha and Miroku were always there for support. Besides, they like to see their best friends kick other kids butts from the prep schools whose only real talent was getting money from their parents.
***************************
Finally the bell rang, Inuyasha and Miroku waited outside the locker room for the girls, Inuyasha making sure Miroku didn't get too close to the door. He never understood why he was always being a pervert when he had a perfectly good girlfriend like Sango. He knew Miroku liked her, heck he might even love her, but he didn't always make the best impression.

Kagome and Sango walked out of the locker a few minutes later and headed towards the parking lot. Sango left with Miroku, while Inuyasha drove Kagome to her house. He liked her family, they were very kind to him and treated him like a son, especially since he was over there practically every day.
Souta, Kagome's little brother, idolized the half-demon, always saying that he wanted to be just like him when he went to high school. Mr. Higurashi, Kagome's grandfather was a little hard to please at times, mostly because he didn't trust most demons, but after a stern lecture from Kagome, he accepted Inuyasha. Mrs. Higurashi was a very happy woman, and very kind to both her children. Her husband had died in a car accident years ago, so they had all moved into her father's shrine.

All in all, they were a very nice family, accept for one little problem. Inuyasha looked over at Kagome and saw that she was looking down at her hands which were folded in her lap, and she was very quiet.

"What's going on your family tonight?" he asked softly. Kagome sighed.

"He's coming for dinner and staying the night in some hotel. He'll take Souta with him for the weekend after school tomorrow." she said. Inuyasha gripped the steering wheel a little tighter and stared hard at the road.

Mrs. Higurashi had once gotten involved with a man named Naraku when they were in middle school. He had been very polite and seemed to love Mrs. Higurashi very much, they even got married a couple years later. The family had agreed that it would be better for Souta if he had a true father figure, so he adopted him when Kagome and Inuyasha were freshman in high school, but Kagome was old enough to keep him as just a stepfather. Then things started to change.

Naraku started to take up drinking and he began insulting Kagome's mom and grandfather constantly. It wasn't long before he started to treat Kagome the same way, he was getting dangerous and sometimese violent. One night Inuyasha had come over to study, and Naraku had entered extremely drunk. He had almost attacked Kagome, but Inuyasha stopped him.

Mrs. Higurashi was horrified and filed for divorce the next day. Unfortunately, Naraku cleaned up well, claiming to be very sorry for his actions, and still had joint custody over Souta. Every so often Naraku would come over to take Souta to his house for a weekend, it wasn't often though. Twice a year maybe, just to make sure that he still had joint custody.

Souta didn't mind Naraku so much, but he still didn't like him. Everyone else hated him. Kagome's family had tried again and again to get a restraining order, but the court never agreed. Basically, Naraku could step in and out of their lives whenever he wanted, and there was nothing they could do. Inuyasha snapped out of his thoughts as he pulled into the driveway of the shrine. He looked at Kagome.

"Go get your stuff," he said firmly but gently. Kagome sighed.

"Inuya-" she began but he grabbed her shoulder.

"Kag, we've been over this a thousand times. I don't want you in the same house as that guy. I don't trust him at all. Your staying with me tonight, and your mother wants you to. I'm not going to let him try to hurt you again. So go get your stuff." Kagome looked in his eyes, smiled softly, and gave him a hug.
"Thanks, Inu."

"Come on, kid. You know I care about you." he said. Kagome smiled and left to go pack her small duffle bag. He watched her disappear into the house, then sighed as he leaned back in the seat.

"If only you knew how much..." he whispered.

(A/N: Well, what do you think. I would love to get reviews, see you later.)
Sign up to rate and review this story