Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Ballad of Mona Lisa

I'd Pay to See You Frown

by GAClive 1 review

“Excuse me, being dead makes me irritable...”

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Horror - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2011-05-17 - Updated: 2012-04-30 - 1181 words - Complete

0Unrated
Brennan noticed the skeptic look of surprise that dominated Blanche's face. “Yes,” he said. “A woman killed me.” He seemed so matter of fact about it, whereas Blanche was startled to think of a woman committing such a revolting crime. “Mary, to be exact.”

Blanche, who had been sipping her tea, choked on the liquid in surprise. “I'm sorry, come again?” Perhaps she misheard him, but when he smiled sardonically she knew that there was no mistake. “Mary who?” She queried, though she had a good idea just which Mary he was referring to.

“Oh! You haven't met my beloved fiance yet?” He snorted sarcastically. Blanche glared at him for a moment before he realized that she had done nothing to deserve that tone. “Excuse me, being dead makes me irritable,” he said in what he felt was a lame attempt of an apology. She thought so too, apparently. “Well...” he started to get nervous under her glare, “it's true.”

She nodded dismissively to move on from that subject. “So, why are you here?” She asked. “I mean, why aren't you in Heaven or Hell... why still here on earth?” The ghost fidgeted with his hands, avoiding her eyes as he answered, “I don't know.”

She felt a deep-rooted sympathy for the dead man, finally beginning to comprehend the fear he must have felt in his position. “One thing I do know,” he continued, his hands no longer fidgeting as he looked up at her with a bitter resolve, “I am not going to let her get away with it.” She nodded her head in understanding, but what he said next she did not understand at first, “I want you to help me.”



Harold looked down at the beautiful woman in bed next to him. Without knowing how it happened, the mayor had found himself in love with Mary. The woman next to him, however, did not return the lovestruck glance but was instead preoccupied by the newspaper she was reading. “Well that sounds fantastic...” she sounded both perplexed and annoyed.

“What is it, my love?” Mary glanced at him briefly before she tossed the newspaper lazily across the room. “Oh nothing, just those mad stories that the papers keep running.”

“Ah well, can't have those nasty things bothering us, can we?” He grabbed the newspaper from her and tossed it over the side of the bed. “Bothersome things really, if one cannot rely on the newspaper for truth then there's no point in reading at all!” He laughed, a loud bellowing rumble that hurt Mary's sensitive ears.

She forced a smile and a strained laugh before she pulled herself out of the bed. “Well enough of this lazing about, I'm going out for a bit.” She began to pull on her dress over her corset, she did not plan on telling the mayor the real reason for her outing. Let's just say she was hungry.

“A moment, darling and I'll come with you!” Mary spun on him suddenly. “No!” She yelled. He stared in shock at her, her face softened as she moved to placate him, “No dear, you just stay here and rest and I'll be back before you know it.” She smiled sweetly at him and kissed his cheek; the world was right again.

She took a quick glance out the window at the night sky and smiled in satisfaction. Tonight would be a good night to hunt. “Good bye!” She waved flirtatiously and left the room.

Once in the hallway of the hotel her smile dropped and determination cemented her face in an intent stare. She figured it would be best to avoid hunting in the hotel as she still did not know how long she was to stay in the pathetic excuse of a town. She opted then for the saloon. Perhaps a lonely soul would wander out lost and with no direction in life, she could help him on his way to his final destination.

She had made it out to the porch of the hotel and stopped a moment to breath in the refreshing night air. Mingled with the crisp freshness was something that only she could sense: the apple pie cooling in the window six buildings away, the perfume of the woman three stories above her, the dog three blocks away... all the smells stood out distinctly as she breathed them in.

She was about to step off the porch when a voice startled her from behind. “A lovely night isn't it, Miss Flinn?” She turned in agitation to see Crackitus lounging on a bench polishing some strange contraption that rested in his lap. How did she not sense him? She recovered from her surprise and plastered a smile on her face. “Yes, yes it is!”

He seemed to watch her closely for a moment, seeming to search with his eyes for what was giving him the odd sensation he was feeling. He shrugged it off before he spoke again, “You will be in town for Brennan's funeral?”

Mary hesitated for a moment before she remembered the facade she was keeping up. “Oh! Yes I will. When will his body arrive?” She tried to insert the appropriate concern in her voice that a heartbroken woman would have when speaking of her dead love.

“He will be here in two days,” Crackitus replied. “We will be giving him a traditional irish funeral in honor of his family...” He hesitated a moment before he pressed on. “Would you do his family the honor of helping to prepare his body?”

Mary forced back the cringe and snort of disgust at such an idea. Instead, she opted for a small smile; there was no easy way out of this and she needed to keep up the charade. “Of course, it would be one of my few pleasures to do this service for my dear Brennan!”

Crackitus smiled sympathetically back at her and rose from his seat being careful not to tip the device in his lap the wrong way. “Well, I'll be seeing you then. Have a pleasant evening Miss Flinn!” She nodded and said goodbye, waiting for him to enter the hotel before she let out a sigh of relief. Now that that interruption was out of the way, she could get back to the much needed hunt.


A/N: Hey all! Sorry this took so long to write! Of course I'm the weird person who doesn't stop because she's swamped with school! No! She stops because she gets lazy and of COURSE only feels like writing when she should be studying for her finals this week! shakes fist at plot bunnies Oh well, at least this is written, thank heavens for that. Anyways, please leave a review and let me know how I'm doing! In all honesty, what motivated me today to finish this chapter was when I got several reviews (on different sites) for the first time in a long time and it made me feel so good, and then so guilty that I hadn't posted in so long. Oh well, that's life. Cheers!
Sign up to rate and review this story