Categories > Games > Warhammer 40k

his holy armour

by philroid 0 reviews

Inquisitor Lorelei Grey, accompanied by the Deathwatch under the command of Captain Karel, ascend to the world of Zerathai to help stave off a tau invasion.

Category: Warhammer 40k - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2011-05-28 - Updated: 2011-05-28 - 6309 words - Complete

0Unrated
The mighty forge world of Zerathai, the planet responsible for producing most of the arms and weapons in sub-sector Culexa, was in uproar. the planet's population of mechanicus adepts, Tech-priests and other devotees to the machine god hurried to prepare against the coming invasion. as the last leman russ rolled into place, high above in orbit, several sleek ships drifted towards the planet. thousands upon thousands of shells were pumped out from orbital defence turrets dotted all over the planet, but did not even touch the sides of the sleek prowed, delicate looking alien craft. instead they were absorbed by a blue tint around the ships which spoke of a force field. the flight bay doors of the sleek craft slid open, and thousands upon thousands of smaller ships slid out and descended to key points all over the planet. it was at the capital city of Zerathai's spire that the hammerstroke would fall, and it was here that the Deathwatch, under the command of Inquisitor Lorelei Grey, stood watch, ready to defend the planet.

*

Sergeant Major Benvard stood on the firing step of the high defence walls of Zerathai's spire, watching the sleek alien craft descend towards the distant plains.
"hold" Benvard said in his rough voice. he wore the unadorned silver armour and black underlay of the Zerathan Cobras. a large Plasma Gun was slung over one shoulder, and three long scars ran across his bald head from when he had been caught in an explosion from one of the forges three years ago.
"hold" he said again, "wait for them to come to us."
he observed as the sleek ships drew nearer. some had already stopped and were dropping small sleek tanks and streamlined battlesuits onto the rocky plains. as the ships in front drew nearer, Benvard smiled smugly.
"fire." he said simply.
immediately the hydra flak cannons burst into life, all four barrels blazing as shells sped faster than the eye could see towards the ships, ripping through their hulls before they could activate their shields. several of the ships exploded as their pulse engines leaked compressed radiation into the desert air around them. Benvard was about to signal another salvo to be fired, when he noticed the ships pulling up into the upper atmosphere. a cheer went up along the line, but died on the lips of the guardsmen of the Zerithian cobras as they saw that the tau ships had already deployed their lethal cargo of fire warriors, agile battlesuits and streamlined tanks. Benvard gazed for a moment, then shook himself out of his shock.
"prepare to fire another salvo, i want those Tau kept busy long enough for close quarters units to engage."
as Benvard saw the effect the sheer magnitude of alien weapons on the age old defensive walls, he couldn't help but utter a prayer.
"emperor deliver us..."

*

High in orbit, the imperial fleet launched barrage after barrage at the sleek Tau vessels. most of the attacks went wide, or else bounced off the near inpenetrable forcefeilds of the Tau vessels. on the bridge of the Warp-Rider, tech-priest Vakel oversaw the ineffective onslaught from the command pulpit.
"come to new heading zero five one!" he ordered, "fire broadside batteries!"
"aye sir!" shouted one of the deck officers, "firing broadside batteries!"
Vakel felt the satisfying shudder of the missile batteries fire, and saw the shells power towards the enemy ships. he selected some choice words concerning the Tau's heritage when he saw the missiles explode on the shields.
"we should have worn down their shields by now!" he barked at a passing deck officer, as though it was the officer's fault.
one of the Tau vessels fired a pulse of blue light from it's prow mounted cannon, and Vakel felt a sickening lurch and he knew they had taken a hit. warning klaxons started blazing and red lights flashed repeatedly.
"sir!" shouted a deck officer over the noise, "breaches on decks six through to eight, communications have ceased with decks four and five!"
Vakel swore violently.
"turn off those bloody klaxons!" he roared, his head red with fury. he had served on this ship for forty five years, and he wasn't about to lose it now.
"come to new heading zero zero zero," he barked, "fire prow bombardment cannon on my signal!"
"sir, we're recieving a transmission from the enemy's flagship."
"put it through to Inquisitor Grey." he said, his curiosity captured.

*

Inside the Templum Aquila, where the head Tech priests of Zerathai's spire met to discuss matters such as design flaws and production rates, the council of war was assembled. along the long table of polished oak sat various individuals that helped govern the planet, as well as officers of various militia.
as the council shouted at each other in various tones of anger and desparation, the shudder of giant footfalls silenced their bantering. as the assembled council turned, a woman who looked barely older than twenty marched through the doorway, flanked by two massive space marines.
both were clad in black armour, with the left shoulder guard and arm glinting silver in the dim light. the noticeable difference between the two was that one of them had the symbol of the crimson fists imprinted on his right shoulder guard, whilst the other bore the symbol of the black templars upon his.
Karel glanced across at Borvus, and Borvus nodded back to him. they took up position either side of Inquisitor Grey as she seated herself in the high backed chair at the end of the polished oak table.
Karel noticed various people amongst the council. he saw Sergeant Major Benvard, who had overseen defence of the outer walls. he looked tired and battered from the onslaught. from what Karel could gather, the close combat tactic had not gone well, as the enemies fire had not been successfully drawn by the defence turrets and hydra flak cannons mounted on the walls. He also saw General Anton Gambit, who was Benvard's commanding officer. the older General had blond hair which was greying at the sides, and a roughly trimmed beard and moustache. he was a man of action, who did not bother with ornamental things such as gold plating his armour, instead wearing plain silver uniform and black underlay. he carried a chainsword and laspistol, each with a mat black finish.
two servo skulls with image projectors hovered over two vacant seats, one linking a display to the warp-rider, where Tech Priest Vakel could be seen losing his temper very fast, and the other one linking a display to the sinner's judgement, where Admiral Kalem Varn was seen with his hands clasped behind his back, calmly giving orders.
both periodically turned to the displays and giving updates on the battle in orbit. it wasn't going well, and the pain on Inquisitor Grey's face was plain as Vakel reported about the breached decks.
as the council setled back into debate, Inquisitor Grey spoke up.
"please, let us talk about this like dignified imperial officials, not squabble amongst ourselves like orks fighting over scrap!"
"the Inquisitor is right." spoke Anton Gambit, "we need to talk before acting."
"what?" shouted another uniformed officer, "and let these aliens crawl all over our defences whilst we 'talk'?"
the council fell into squabbling again, and Karel sensed that fists would start flying. Inquisitor Grey's attempts to calm the council were barely audiable over the noise of squabbling officials. Karel's temper started to rise.
"enough!" he roared, slamming his fist on the polished oak table, "we do need to act, but we cannot until we know how to act!"
suddenly Vakel's voice crackled over the vox network.
"Inquisitor Grey." Vakel spoke with a strange sense of calm, "recieving a transmission from the enemy flagship."
"patch it through." the Inquisitor spoke as a large viewing screen slid out of the far wall.
as the screen clicked on, a head appeared on it, a completely alien head. it's skin was a mottled grey, and had the texture of worn leather, it's eyes were a bright red. a slit ran between it's eyebrows, as though it had been cut. it had no visible nose, only an expanse of skin stretching from it's eyes to it's lipless mouth. when it, or rather, he, spoke, it was with a dignity and feeling of self purpose that stirred everyone in the room.
"which of you shall speak for the inhabitants of this world?"
"that would be me." said Inquisitor Grey, leaning back in the high backed leather chair, "i am Inquisitor Lorelei Grey, and who might you be?"
the tau leader bowed his head. "greetings, Inquisitor Lorelei Grey, i am Aun el T'arq of the ethereal caste."
"well met," replied the Inquisitor, as though they were discussing something trivial, "now then, what would you want with this world?"
T'arq made what appeared to be a smile and said "we are expanding, bringing worlds and species into the folds of our empire, showing them the greater good."
"and just how do you intend to do that?" asked the Inquisitor, with just the slightest hint of bitterness in her voice.
"once your defences have been...dealt with, we intend to enforce the regime of the greater good and make you see the light, thus bringing you into the empire." replied T'arq, his voice still spoke with self purpose.
"two things," Lorelei said immediately, "first of all, i can't let you do that, and second, deciding the fates of planets is my job. and as is required by my job, i feel inclined to stop you."
"then you shall have to be...detained, though it pains me to do so."
the viewing screen went blank and silence fell as it slid back into the wall.

*

Aun El T'arq turned from the viewing screen. all around him the bridge buzzed with activity. every soldier of t'au was confident that this would be an easy victory, and T'arq knew that even his mere presence inspired them to be controlled and confident. he was proud of them.
he turned back to the viewing screen as it flickered into life. a helmet filled the screen. it was a dusty orange in colour, like the rest of the tau militia, save for a series of white markings on one side of it's helmet. three eyes were set into the helmet, one on the right side and two on the left. the helmet was roughly rectangular, with one antenna coming from either side and extending backwards at a verticle angle. the helmet was that of an xv25 battlesuit.
"everything is prepared, honoured ethereal." spoke the battlesuit's pilot, his voice was distorted by the helmet's voice transmitter.
"good, you have proven yourself yet again, shas'o rayel." said T'arq approvingly, "i trust the human defences caused you no trouble?"
"we lost a few light skimmers to the Gui'la defences." he spat, "but apart from that, we are ready to advance."
"then you may start the advance as soon as you are ready. may the spirit of mont'ka go with you."
"thank you, honoured Ethereal. for the greater good!" the image faded from the viewing screen.
"for the greater good..." T'arq repeated to himself, smiling faintly.

*

Inquisitor Lorelei Grey stood on the outer walls alongside Sergeant Major Benvard, watching the Tau lines advance.
"i've faced worse." muttered Benvard in an attempt to sound confident. "me and the boys have fought through hell and survived."
Lorelei could sense the man's apprehension, and the fear of all the men around her. sometimes she hated being able to sense emotion.
"i doubt if you have, Sergeant Major." she replied, "tell me, how did you survive all your previous engagements?"
"through steel, courage and faith in the emperor." Benvard said proudly, banging his fist against his chestplate, "but what does that matter anyway?"
"the Tau are different from any foe you have ever fought, Sergeant Major." she said simply.
"how so?" he said defensively.
"the Tau are not savages, Sergeant Major. they do not live to devour all life, or to serve dark gods."
Benvard shot her a questioning look, "what do you mean?"
"i mean they're communists, all fighting for one motive. all united in the same ideal, undivided and stalwart in their cause, effectively..." she trailed off.
"they're like us." Benvard finished quietly, "which means that if we can overcome aliens and heretics, so can they."
"exactly," said Lorelei, "and what is more alien to a Tau than a human?"
"i hate to say it," said Benvard, "but they're almost like us."
"indeed," replied the Inquisitor, "get ready, Sergeant Major, things are about to explode."
Benvard said nothing, but held his plasma gun even more tightly.

*

"fire prow bombardment cannon!" roared Tech Priest Vakel, the excitement plain in his voice.
"firing prow bombardment canon, aye sir!" shouted one of the deck officers.
Vakel laughed as he felt the recoil of the bombardment cannon roll through the entire ship.
bright lances of fire spread from the bombardment cannon and struck one of the enemy ships, punching right through the force feilds and striking the ship's streamlined hull.
a cheer rose among the staff on the deck as they saw the ship engulfed in a ball of blazing fire. Vakel grabbed the hand of the deck officer nearest to him and shook it violently.
the cheering died as the staff on the bridge looked through the viewing screen and saw the alien ships converging on the warp-rider.
"patch me through to the sinner's judgement." Vakel shouted urgently, "get me Admiral Varn."

*

Karel fired shot after shot from his bolter, downing dome topped drones with every shot.
Karel grimaced. it was blasphemous to use something as emotionless as a machine for fighting.
"Kavan, borvus, flank right!" he roared over the noise of battle, "Corvis, flank left!"
the space marines spread out, forming a v shaped wedge and sprinting in unison towards the Tau lines.
Karel had suggested that they be dropped by Thunderhawk behind the Tau lines, along with several hundred Guardsmen armed with chainswords and laspistols. the Thunderhawk had cut a wide loop around the surrounding hills so the Tau wouldn't detect them, with several Valkyries following suit.
the Guardsmen around them formed similar wedges and started pushing towards the enemies rear.
gun drones that scouted the area commonly spotted them, but the gun drones were few and lightly armoured, making them easy to take out.
suddenly their formation was shadowed. Karel looked up to see a massive cloud of battlesuits descending upon them.
"the Tau knew about our deployment!" shouted Corvis, "they planned this!"
"draw chainswords!" snapped Karel. "take defensive positions!"
the space marines and guardsmen sank to one knee, stowing their ranged weapons in their holsters and drawing their chainswords.
Karel drew his power sword, thumbing the activation rune on the hilt. the sword crackled as purple lightning laced the blade. he weilded the blade in two hands, watching the battlesuits descend. blue light burst from quad barrelled revolving cannons mounted on the battlesuits arms, peppering the space marines and guardsmen with bursts of fire.
screams of pain came from guardsmen as large chunks of their flesh evaporated where the bursts hit. all around him, Karel saw Guardsmen dying in pools of their own blood.
the battlesuits landed as one, sending a slight shudder through the ground.
"space marines, charge!" roared Karel, running head first towards the battlesuits.
he estimated the battlesuits at around seventy, whilst the Guardsmen numbered in their hundreds.
Karel brought his power sword up, slashing through the leg of a battlesuit, which tumbled to the ground. Karel swiftly reversed his grip on the power sword and drove it into the battlesuit's chest. he heard a muffled scream come from inside as the pilot's head got impaled.
looking around, Karel saw Guardsmen hacking at legs, throwing grenades. some were weighing the battlesuits down with sheer mass of numbers.
but the battlesuits were taking their toll. incinerating guardsmen with long barrelled cannons, or crushing them beneath their feet.
Karel looked around for his next target, and saw a battlesuit with two broad, flat cannons mouted on it's shoulders. instead of hands, the battlesuit had two blocky missle pods on the end of each arm.
Karel stood, power sword in hand, and charged at the battlesuit.
"for the emperor!"

*

Benvard shot down another gun drone, his plasma gun emitting a whining sound as it recharged. battlesuits of varying size jumped onto the ramparts whilst fire warriors tried to breach the walls. Benvard whirled as a battlesuit smashed into the rampart, knocking him back with a fist the size of his chest. Benvard lay where he landed against the hard rockrete of the rampart.
he tried to stand, but stumbled and fell over again. just as the battlesuit brought it's massive foot down, a sleek curved blade lashed out and cut the battlesuit's legs from underneath it. the battlesuit toppled backwards over the parapet, crashing into the fire warriors below. Benvard climbed warily to his feet, and saw Inquisitor Grey standing there, her curved blade in hand.
"you looked as though you needed a hand." she grinned.
"not a hand," replied Benvard, "a grenade launcher, maybe."
"carry on, Sergeant Major, we might just win through this!"
even as she said it a look of fear crossed Inquisitor Grey's face. Benvard turned, seeing a battlesuit with two large cannons mounted on either arm. several white markings were painted onto the side of the battlesuits helmet.
it arced towards the ramparts, a concentrated burst of blue light came from either cannon, lancing out towards the ramparts.
even before the bursts hit, Benvard tackled the Inquisitor to the ground.
the beams of blue light lanced through the ramparts, slicing a large portion off.
Guardsmen screamed as they tumbled to their deaths. Benvard looked back to see the spot where he and the Inquisitor were just standing had fallen away.
he pulled the Inquisitor to her feet and retrieved his plasma gun.
"i guess now we're even." he chuckled.
"indeed..." the Inquisitor replied.
both stopped laughing as they saw the battlesuit arc through the air and smash into the ramparts. the pilot's voice was distorted through the battlesuit's voice transmitter, but it was still clear as day.
"prepare to die, gui'la!"

*

Karel's helmet flew off his head as he was knocked back by the battlesuit's blocky missile pods that replaced it's fists. Karel flew six feet and hit the ground shoulder on. he rolled and jumped to his feet, charging again.
he hadn't let go of his power sword. the battlesuit swung it's arm round again and Karel dodged to one side. the battlesuit changed the arc of it's swing, smashing it's blocky fist down into Karel's back.
even as Karel attempted to roll over, the massive battlesuit raised it's foot to crack his head open. Karel knew he didn't stand a chance of escaping.

*

"are you sure about this?" Admiral Kalem Varn shouted over the vox transmitter.
"no" came Vakel's reply, "but it's our best chance."
looking out of the viewing window, Varn saw several large Tau ships had set up a perimeter around the planet.
"come to new heading four seven two" Varn barked, "fire port side nova cannons!"
the idea that Vakel had presented was extreme to say the least, but Varn accepted it was the only option they had left. from the reports he had recieved, he had gathered that things planetside were getting desparate. the Tau had blown a two meter wide gap in the defensive wall, and fire warriors were flooding through the gap.
the bridge shuddered as the nova cannons fired beams of pure white light into the enemy ships.
Vakel had voxed all other ships to do the same, and more streaks of white light blazed across space towards the Tau ships. several ships exploded as the nova blasts overloaded their force feilds and the pulse engines failed to cope with the energy overload.
"open a vox channel to all ships, we've punched a hole through the Tau perimeter!" Varn shouted.
"and patch me through to tech priest Vakel. tell him i want the warp-rider and the swordmaster to accompany me into the breach!"

*

on the bridge of the swordmaster, General Anton Gambit recieved the vox communication from tech priest Vakel.
"come to new heading zero zero zero!" he roared, "all ahead full towards that breach!"
looking out of the viewing window, Gambit saw the warp-rider and the sinner's judgement flanking his strike cruiser.
"this had better work..." he muttered.

*

Karel looked around desperately for something that would distract the battlesuit, but saw nothing. he couldn't just lie here and wait for the battlesuit to crush him at it's leisure. he rolled desparately to one side as the battlesuit's foot came crashing down.
Karel roared in pain as he felt his left arm being completely crushed under the weight of the battlesuit's foot.
the battlesuit raised it's large blocky fist over it's head. Karel closed his eyes and waited for the inevitable.
a moment later he heard the resounding crack of bolter fire and the roar of a chainsword. he opened his eyes and looked up in time to see Kavan plunge his chainsword deep into the battlesuit's chest, biting deep into the pilot's brain. the battlesuit slumped slightly, then fell over backwards. Karel felt an enormous pressure lift from his left arm.
he stood up, his arm hanging limply at his side.
Kavan looked at him.
"can you feel it?" he asked simply.
"no" replied Karel, "not below the elbow."
"when this is over we'll get apothecary selenus to look at it." Kavan said.
both of them looked as they heard the screech of a jump pack activating, and saw Borvus carve an arc in the air, landing right in the middle of a group of battlesuits, with Corvis sprinting in the same direction.
"come, blood brother." said Kavan, and Karel had to remind himself that Kavan was a blood angel. "let us join our brothers in the slaughter of glorious battle!"
Karel gripped his sword in his right hand and charged towards the thick knot of battlesuits.
he assumed Kavan was following him, but could not spare a glance backwards.

*

the battlesuit commander smashed his massive fist into Lorelei's stomach, sending her flying back. Benvard fired shot after shot from his plasma gun, but none of the shots hit, deflected by some sort of energy shield projected from a circular object on the battlesuit's left arm.
the battlesuit lunged towards Lorelei, and she knew she couldn't get out of the way in time.

*

in that split second Benvard acted. he unclipped one of the frag grenades from his belt, pulled the pin out and jumped right for the battlesuit's head. he felt a slight lurch as he passed through the energy shield. he landed squarely on the battlesuit's head, dropping the frag grenade in a small gap at the back of it's rectangular head. the battlesuit lurched from side to side, trying to shake him off. Benvard leapt, trying to get clear before the battlesuit exploded.
too late.
Benvard screamed as he felt his right leg being ripped from his body as he was propelled forward by the explosion into the wall, gashing his head. he fell to the cold rockrete floor. as he looked up with bleary eyes he saw the battlesuit slowly lurch forward, pitching over. Benvard knew it would land on him, but he didn't bother trying to get away.
"my duty is done." he whispered as the battlesuit crashed on top of him.

*

Karel sighed as he and the other Deathwatch members were hearded into the group of survivors. he saw precious few guardsmen left. he estimated at around twenty. a ring of battlesuits surrounded them. there would be no escape from this. a battlesuit pointed it's four barrelled weapon at his head.
"kneel!" it said, "now!"
Karel snarled as he snak to his knees. the battlesuit kept it's weapon levelled at his head.
Karel looked as Borvus was thrust to the ground beside him.
"damn fool!" Karel hissed.
Borvus smiled, "they looked smaller from the air."
Karel couldn't help but chuckle. at least he would die laughing.
he looked around, suddenly realising Kavan was not among their numbers.

*

Lorelei ran through the streets of Zerathai's spire, sprinting desparately towards the Templum Aquila. in her hands she carried Benvard, the Sergeant Major who had almost given his life for her. after pulling him from underneath the battlesuit, Lorelei had feild bandaged him as best she could, but she knew only apothecary Selenus could save him. Benvard's lifeblood was leaking from his stump of a right leg. as she ran, something tripped her, sending her sprawling on top of Benvard, who let out a barely conscious moan.
she rolled over, seeing something materialise over her. it was a battlesuit, but smaller than the ones she had seen. it's upper body was roughly oval and dome shaped, with three eyes set in the centre near the top. it was a stealth suit.
it pointed it's cannon at her. the cannon made a whining noise as the four barrels started to rotate.
there was a blinding flash of light and a round hole was blasted through the centre of the stealth suit. it lurched to the side and collapsed on the wall of a hab block.
Apothecary Selenus stood over Lorelei. she climbed wearily to her feet, stumbling slightly.
"do you require attention?" Selenus asked in his usual formal manner.
"no" replied Lorelei, "but he does." she pointed to Benvard.
she stood back and let the Apothecary do his work.

*

Vakel sweated with apprehension. what if the Tau didn't go for their plan? but Vakel couldn't let them win. they had to call his bluff.
"we're through!" shouted Anton Gambit over the vox channel, just as the bulky prow of the swordmaster hovered into view.
suddenly Admiral Varn's voice crackled over the vox channel.
"gentlemen, i apologise for this, but it would appear i have made a slight blunder."
"what the hell do you mean?" asked Gambit.
"i mean" crackled Admiral Varn's voice, "that the gap has closed, and iam on the opposite side."
"retreat then, fall back!" Vakel shouted into the vox channel.
"not going to happen, i'm afraid." said Varn in a surprisingly calm voice, "if i fall back they'll go for the nearest target, which is you two."
Vakel suddenly understood. Varn had known what was coming. he had never intended to go through the gap.
"emperor's speed to you, Admiral." Vakel said, his voice suddenly calm.
"thank you, tech priest." came the Admirals reply, then his voice cut out as he left the vox channel.
"he's a fool," said Gambit, "but he's a damn brave fool."

*

on board the sinner's judgement, Admiral Kalem Varn smiled.
"come to new heading three one nine." he ordered.
he waited as he saw the Tau flagship swing into view.
"reached new heading, sir." said one of the deck officers, "what now?"
"now we pray." said Varn simply.
with that he sank to one knee and lead his crew in prayer.
"thine emperor, we are thy humble servants, as thou art our protector. we honour thee, our undying lord." it was hardly a prayer worthy of an Admiral, but it brought calm among his men before the end, that was enough for Varn.
"honour the divine emperor, pray for his holy armour." he finished, bowing his head.
"for the emperor, honour his holy armour." the crew repeated, and all over the ship, crew members bowed their heads in silence.
raising his head slightly, Varn saw the Tau flagship charging it's prow mounted cannon, and a single tear leaked from his eye.

*

Vakel saw the sinner's judgement engulfed in a searing ball of blue light. after the light dissipated, he saw there was nothing left of the mighty ship but a dissipating cloud of gas.
"a moment of silence, i think." he said quietly.
a moment passed, but it felt like an hour as they honoured the venerable Admiral and his crew.
"sir," said one of the deck officers, "should we proceed?"
Vakel spurred into action. "train prow bombardment cannon on the planet, prepare for exterminatus, patch me through to every vox channel, open the vox network to the Tau flagship."

*

Inquisitor Lorelei Grey sat in the meeting chamber of the Templum Aquila, with her stood Apothecary Selenus.
the viewing screen flickered into life, and two faces appeared on the screen. the first was the Tau ethereal, Aun El T'arq, and the second was the more familiar face of tech priest Vakel.
"what is your proposition, gue'la?" asked T'arq, the bitterness was almost undetectable in his voice, but it was there.
"i would very much like to know myself," replied Lorelei, "Vakel?"
Vakel took a deep breath before replying.
"myself and General Gambit have punched through your defences, Tau, and we currently have our bombardment cannons trained on the planet. when i give the order, our ships will unleash exterminatus upon the planet."
T'arq's brow creased in confusion, but Lorelei's eyes widened in shock.
"Vakel, i didn't order that!" she cried.
"no, you didn't." said Vakel coolly, "but sometimes decisions have to be made."
"i do not understand." said the ethereal calmly, "what is this exterminatus that you speak of?"
"the complete and utter destruction of a planet." said Lorelei, "Vakel will launch a cyclonic torpedo, which will cause a reaction that will blow the planet apart, leaving it a molten ball of fire and scorched earth."
the ethereal's mouth opened in disbelief.
"you would destroy an entire planet just to deny it to us?"
Vakel nodded.
"you humans disgust me." said T'arq, "very well, we shall withdraw. what use is a planet if every human is like you? you will never be brought into the light of the greater good!"
the vox channel clicked off as Vakel closed the connection to the Tau ship.
a wide smile spread over Lorelei's face. Selenus released his breath and Lorelei realised he had been holding it all through the conversation.
"we won." the ultramarines Apothecary said quietly.
"yes" Lorelei replied, "i suppose we did."

*

Karel heard the conversation over his vox bead. everyone had, Tau and Human alike. Vakel had somehow managed to patch through to the vox systems of every fighting man in the city.
even as he watched, the battlesuits around him ascended into the sky and retreated back to their ships. a cheer went up amongst the remaining Guardsmen, and they started congratulating each other. several Guardsmen forced him to shake their hands. Karel didn't mind, relieved as he was to be alive.
the other members of the Deathwatch gathered around him. he clapped his hand on Corvis's shoulder.
"well done, brother, you followed the idiot into battle and won."
he turned to Borvus, "brother Borvus, you charged into the fray without backup, therefore, i am assigning you three months of compulsory fasting."
Borvus was about to argue, but Corvis's hand on his shoulder stopped him.
"best quit before you make him angry."
Borvus closed his mouth.
"where is Kavan?" asked Karel.
Corvis lowered his head., "i saw him take a shot from a burst cannon straight in the chest." he said quietly, "there was no way he could have survived it."
the space marines lowered their heads in a moment of silence for Kavan.
"come, brothers." said Karel at last, "the road back to the city is a long one."

*

Guardsmen gathered in ranks along the side of the central road leading up to the Templum Aquila, all bowed their heads in silence as the procession made it's way along the road. two caskets were bore by men dressed entirely in black. one bore possesions of brother Kavan, whose body had not been found upon the field of battle. his few possesions were a crystal goblet, which he had always drunk out of, a ceremonial robe that he wore when not in his power armour, and the claw of a tyrannid he had obtained in a battle fought long before coming to the service of the deathwatch. alongside Kavans casket was one which bore the possesions of the late Admiral Kalem Varn. a ceremonial sword that the admiral had always worn to events and formal parties, a laspistol adorned with eagle wings, a plain silver helmet displaying the symbol of the Zerithian cobras, and several medals that the venerable admiral had recieved in countless engagements and space battles. behind the caskets walked Admiral Varn's wife and children, each carrying a boquet of flowers. behind these walked Inquisitor Lorelei Grey, flanked by Captain Karel and Sergeant Major Benvard, both of which had been tended by Apothecary Selenus. Karel now sported a plain metal left arm. Selenus had been forced to amputate his arm.
Benvard had a mechanical leg which had been covered with synflesh in an attempt to make it look real. behind them marched the other three members of the Deathwatch, and bringing up the rear were General Anton Gambit and Tech Priest Vakel.
the procession made it's way slowly towards a funeral pyre that had been erected in the square outside the Templum Aquila. the caskets were laid to rest on top of the funeral pyre, and a priest walked forward from the doors of the Templum, flanked by two acolytes with blazing torches. the priest read the rites of burial, then nodded to the acolytes, who moved forward and set fire to the funeral pyre. the procession, along with rank upon rank of Guardsmen, all sank to one knee in unison and fired their guns into the air as a sign of rememberance.

*

Karel stood on the landing platform, the three remaining members of his squad stood behind him, whilst Inquisitor Grey stood at his side. Sergeant Major Benvard and General Anton Gambit stood in front of them, ready to see them off.
"well," started Benvard, "i think we saw them off pretty good."
"that we did, Sergeant Major." replied Karel, "though not without losses."
"indeed." put in General Gambit, "i'm going to miss old Varn. he was a damn good commander. there aren't many who'll come along and willingly scrifice themselves and their ship to save a planet, even if it is their own."
"well, Inquisitor, i think we're even, don't you?" grinned Benvard.
"i don't know, Sergeant Major, i think that running you all the way to the Templum Aquila puts me ahead." she laughed.
"i don't think so." said Karel, "Selenus tells me he carried Benvard half the way."
"very well, then." sighed the Inquisitor, "i suppose we're even."
"this isn't goodbye, my friends." promised Gambit, "we'll have need of you in the future, i'm sure of it."
"until then." nodded the Inquisitor. as one, the Deathwatch members turned and marched into the thunderhawk. the engines screeched into life, and the thunderhawk rose into the air and sped off towards the waiting ship in orbit.
"well sir," Benvard said, turning towards Gambit, "how about a drink?"
"very well, Sergeant Major, first rounds on me."
the two turned and started towards one of the city's broth houses, talking as though the battle they had just fought was all in a day's work.

*

he woke up, screaming. his guts were spewed on the battlefield around him, his arm was completely severed and he lay in a pool of his own gore. the screams died in his throat as he saw a figure clad in dirty black armour with a rusty gold trim stride towards him. the figure was bald, and scars laced his pale features. he grinned, and his teeth were filed sharp. his eyes were pale, pupilless orbs. he strode over to where the screaming figure lay, and he spoke. his voice was leering and taunting, as though every word was an insult.
"they left you, didn't they? they left you for dead upon the field of battle."
"t....traitor!" he screamed at the figure.
the figure only laughed, "you're Kavan, aren't you?"
"traitor!" Kavan continued to scream.
"think," said the figure simply, "who are the real traitors? thos who do not reward you for your victories? those who leave you for dead on this blasted chunk of rock? or me, who heard your dying cries and took pity?"
Kavan's screams lessened as he thought of the logic. the figure was right. it had been Karel and the deathwatch who had not bothered to find him. and he had never been rewarded for his service. all those times he had prayed to the emperor, yet never recieved an answer, only the blasted silence of a rotting corpse sitting on a planet he had never even set foot on.
"i....i'm....dying..." Kavan stuttered.
"the dark gods will not let that happen." the figure said in his mocking tone, "all you need do is swear loyalty to them and they shall reward you."
Kavan hated the mocking voice, yet it was a voice of reason, of truth.
he nodded, trying not to breath to rapidly.
a swirling purple mist swelled from the figures armour, engulfing Kavan. he felt the icy touch of death leave him, to be replaced by the warmth of bloodlust. fleshy tendrils laced down his stump of a left arm, lacing and formating into a diamond hard claw. he felt his teeth sharpen.
he leapt to his feet, the bloodlust rising.
the leering figure chuckled.
"good." he said, "very good. now to channel your bloodlust, to mould you into something new, stronger, better." he smiled, once more exposing the sharpened teeth. "we'll start with introductions. i am lord Syrax, and i need your help to overthrow an incompetent...ally...of mine."
Kavan nodded, and followed Syrax. "after that, we will...take care...of your Inquisitor."
Sign up to rate and review this story