Categories > Celebrities > Slipknot > Heartache every moment

Drowning in Flames

by SyndromeStar 0 reviews

Category: Slipknot - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Published: 2011-05-29 - Updated: 2011-05-29 - 2358 words - Complete

1Ambiance

Chapter 2 - 'Drowning in Flames'

He woke up 20 minutes later, flat out on a stretcher backstage. Needles were pinning his arms and he dully took in his IV. A hand stroked his chest and a voice welcomed him back to the living. Blinking, Joey feel his senses return. Mick’s face was swimming above him, and he lifted an arm to try and touch him. His hand-eye coordination having not yet returned, Mick grabbed his arm before he had an eye poked out. Clasping Joey’s tiny hand within his own, Mick knelt down next to the gurney.

“You gave us all a bit of a scare.”

Joey gave a weak smile.

“Isn’t that what I’m good at?”

Mick laughed. He was glad to see Joey felt better.

“Where is everyone?” Joey asked.

“In the shower. I think Corey was worried about the fumes knocking you out again if they were all standing around here unwashed.”

The tiny man laughed. He took in Mick’s own unwashed condition and asked, “What about you? You haven’t had a shower.”

“I wanted to be here when you woke up. I used a bit of deodorant though, thought that might help.”

In response, Joey squeezed Mick’s hand. Mick had been his angel today, and he didn’t know what he had done to deserve it. But just as he was trying to find a way of putting his appreciation into words, the others came back. They jostled for position around his stretcher, all evidently pleased to see him looking so much better.

“You know, we shoulda stuck an IV in you for the show,” Sid said.

“Yeah? And killed himself trying to play with it in?” Shawn countered.

With that, the two started arguing playfully, until Chris pointed out that Joey didn’t really need too much excitement right then. Subdued, both of them settled down. Throughout all this Mick remained by his side, their hands locked together. Joey could see Chris’s mind ticking over at this, but he didn’t care. He didn’t want Mick to leave.

Just then their manager bustled up. His face betrayed the stress he had been under tonight, and he looked haggard and tired.

“Joey’s coming with us.”

“Well, where else am I going to go?” Joey replied indignantly.

“The medics want to take you to hospital. But then we’d never get you to Denver in time,” he was answered.

“Well, I’m glad you have his best interests at heart!” Mick stood up abruptly, towering over their manager who suddenly looked quite intimidated.

“What if he gets sick again? What if we can’t help him? What then?”

“Mick.”

Joey’s frail voice seemed to calm him down.

“It’s ok.”

Glancing down at Joey laying in the stretcher, Mick fell quiet.

“I’ll be fine” Joey reassured.

“You said that before the show and look what happened to you! What if it happens again?” Mick looked concerned.

Joey reached up for his hand.

Kneeling back down, he held Joey again. Corey exchanged a look with Shawn.

“You should get a shower Mick. We’ll be leaving soon,” their manager offered. “I’m sorry about Joey, we’ll get him checked over again when we get to Denver.”

Mick looked at Joey, who nodded. Reluctantly parting, he stood up and headed for the showers.

“You lot - get ready,” their manager threw at the rest of the guys as he hurried off again.

The sudden turn of events seemed to wake them up. All of them but Chris seemed to be relieved to have something to do. He remained as the others headed off to pack up. He took Mick’s vacant position next to Joey.

“Mick’s been so worried about you.”

He cut right to the chase.

“I mean, we all have been, but he’s been frantic. I thought he was going to lose it when you left us for a bit.”

Joey bit his lip and looked away. Chris knew something was up.

“I think he likes you.”

With that, Joey abruptly turned his head to Chris’s. He was thinking of something to say to this momentous revelation when the medics turned up.

Removing his IV, they checked all his vital signs and declared him fit enough to travel (but it seemed to Joey some of it was forced, and he suspected his manager had something to do with that). Sitting up, he let his head adjust. Chris stayed with him after the medics left, having given Joey some medication they got him from a local pharmacy.

Joey pulled his knees to his chest, wrapping his arms around his knees. The world was still rotating, and he knew he wasn’t 100%.

Chris sat patiently next to him, knowing the little drummer would talk when he was ready.

“Is that really what you think?” Joey knew the answer even as he asked the question.
Chris nodded.

“He really cares for you. I haven’t seen him act around anyone like he does with you.”

Joey lay his head on his arms. Feeling a bit better now, he realised that the way Mick had been taking care of him was different. The others had been concerned, of course, but Mick had really suffered along with Joey. And it wasn’t just this time, there was other times as well. Mick being a lot more patient with him than the others were, at times when Joey was being insufferable and annoying. Always helping him, especially at times when Joey’s size and height were a disadvantage. Making sure he was taking care of himself; carrying Joey back to the bus when he was dead drunk.

Joey supposed he should have seen it coming. And now, Joey thought that he felt the same way. As much as he was grateful that Chris was keeping him company, he’d give anything to have Mick back at his side.

Blinking back tears, he felt overwhelmed. Chris’s hand rubbed his back, and Joey knew he understood. They sat there for a while, not talking, Chris knowing Joey needed time to think. And when Mick came back, desperate to be with Joey again, Chris left silently.

This time, Joey reached up for Mick, sliding his arms around the guitarist’s neck. Mick sat down with him, arms holding him close, feeling Joey’s head tucked into his chest. He rested his head next to Joey’s, breathing in his scent. He wanted to say something, but he couldn’t think of anything that wouldn’t sound stupid or cheesy.

But for now, it was enough that they were there, and together.

They were still wrapped up in each other when Chris approached, and stood a respectful distance away. Mick looked up, annoyed at the interruption, but he knew Chris couldn’t help it.

“Bus is leaving soon.” And with that, he turned and left them alone.

Mick lay a gentle kiss on Joey’s hair. He helped the younger man to his feet, supporting him every part of the way. He was worried Joey would head for the deck, and at one point he nearly did, but Mick caught him. Joey was still wobbly, Mick could feel his skin shaking. He wrapped his arm around Joey and lifted him carefully, noting how much Joey felt like a fragile porcelain doll in his arms.

He walked slowly to the bus, Joey cradled to his chest. Corey opened the bus door for him and Mick immediately went upstairs to the top level. The others understood and stayed below, using the living room by the bunks.

He lay Joey down on the sofa, before heading to the kitchen to grab some water. He knew it was important to keep pouring the water down Joey; being dehydrated from the vomiting wouldn’t help him. Back at the sofa, he lifted Joey up so he could sit down. Leaning back, he adjusted himself and Joey so the smaller man was laying between his legs, head on his chest. He made Joey drink some water, mock-glaring at him when the drummer claimed he was sick of water.

The smaller man fell asleep almost instantly after laying back down again. Sliding his arms around Joey, Mick held him up. He felt the buss engines start up, and slowly the vehicle started to move. Laying there in the darkness, Mick felt incredibly protective of the boy in his arms.

*

It was 3:30am when Mick awoke. He wasn’t sure why he had woken up, then he realised the bus was slowing down. The bright lights of a service area shone into the windows, and Mick figured they needed gas.

Joey lay still and quiet in his arms, but he too felt the change in momentum and opened his eyes. A part of him wanted to go back to sleep, to be deliciously warm and comfortable in Mick’s arms, but another part of him was hungry. He sighed deeply, feeling much better for having gotten some sleep. At least he felt hungry, he supposed that was good, but he also hoped it wouldn’t mean he would start throwing up again with food in his stomach. Looking up at Mick, Joey smiled.

“You feeling ok?” Mick asked.

“Yeah. I’m hungry!”

Mick laughed.

“You want me to grab you something to eat?”

Joey nodded.

“What do you want?”

“Something hot and greasy.”

Yup, Joey seemed to be back. Mick smiled and brushed the hair out of Joey’s eyes. His fingers lingered on Joeys cheeks, feeling the soft skin.

The bus pulled to a stop, and Mick figured he’d better hurry up. Joey moved off his lap and lay against the back of the sofa. He smiled at Mick, and the bigger man couldn’t help but let his gaze linger, and he smiled back.

He moved downstairs, bumping into Sid in the darkness, who also seemed to be on the way out for a late night snack.

“How he is?”

“Nearly back to normal. Wants food.”

Sid laughed.

Mick let the bus-driver know the both of them were out, and they headed inside for provisions. Coming out 10 minutes later loaded with food, Mick hoped Joey was Ok without him. Sid seemed to read his thoughts.

“He’ll be fine, you know. He’s a big boy, really,” Sid flourished the last part with a grin.

Mick grinned.

“I can’t help but worry.”

“I know. And I know he appreciates it.”

With that, the bus was before them, and Sid said goodnight to Mick as they headed in their different directions.

A light was on upstairs, and Mick was grateful for it as he climbed the stairs. Not so grateful, though, when the bus started up and jerked off, nearly causing him to topple back down again. Cursing, he righted himself and walked into the living room. Joey lay on the sofa where he had left him, nursing a bottle of water. He still looked quite pale, but Mick had to remind himself that Joey always looked pale. If he wasn’t pale, then there was definitely something wrong with him. He smiled as Mick approached, arms full of food.

“You buying for an army?”

Mick shot Joey a grin.

“Well... we got burgers, fries, coke, lemonade and errr, chocolate,” he said, laying it all on the table and sitting down next to Joey.

“Chocolate?”

“Yeah. Sugar,” Mick said.

“Where’s the beer?”

“You are NOT having beer, Joey.”

“Hmmmppphhhh.”

Grabbing some fries, Joey started to eat. Now that he had food back in his hands, and his stomach seemed to have settled down, he felt things were getting back to normal. At least his stomach bug, or whatever it was, didn’t seem to want to hang around. One of those one day things He still felt weak and tired, but he figured food was the best thing he could do for himself. As long as it didn’t encourage his stomach to spazz out again....

“They ok?’ Mick asked.

“What?”

“The fries. You seem to be staring at them, instead of eating them.”

Joey giggled. He stuffed the rest of his handful into his mouth and grabbed some more. The food was soon demolished, and empty food wrappers lay strewn across the table. Deciding to clean up later, Mick lay an arm on Joey’s shoulder.

“You wanna stay here, or go down to your bunk?”

“I wanna stay here. With you,” Joey smiled.

Mick smiled back.

“How are you feeling?”

“Better. I think. I just hope the food stays down!” Joey laughed. It was as he did that his stomach gave an ominous grumble.

Seeing the look pass over Joey’s face, Mick was concerned.

“You ok? You going to be sick?”

He didn’t get an answer as Joey flew to the bathroom.

Mick rushed after him, and as the drummer bent down, gathered up his hair so it didn’t fall in his face. He held Joey as he emptied his stomach, cursing. Here he was thinking he was back to normal, and the vomiting strikes again. Joey clung to the toilet, body heaving, feeling those unwanted tears creep back. His stomach jerked and heaved, and he felt his skin start to sweat.

When the gagging eased, Joey sat up into Mick’s arms, gasping. Mick held him close and comforted him, trying to stop his tiny body shaking. He grabbed the toilet tissue and gently wiped the tears from Joey’s face, hushing his cries.

After making Joey wash his mouth out with water, Mick carried him gently back to the sofa. He lay down with Joey, who curled up with his head on Mick’s chest. Mick pulled a blanket down from the top of the sofa and tucked it around them, making sure Joey was covered. He stroked Joey’s hair with one hand and his back with the other, soothing him. He could feel Joey begin to slip into sleep again, and slowly relented himself.
Sign up to rate and review this story