Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Change of Fate

chapter 2

by razial 1 review

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Fleur,Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2011-06-02 - Updated: 2011-06-02 - 4031 words

5Original
A Change of Fate Chapter 2

+++

(Malfoy Manor)

Narcissa Malfoy stalked back into her bedroom, she was angered beyond all belief.


First her husband had gotten himself arrested, once again, for being a Death Eater. Only this time he might not get out as easily as he was caught in the presence of many known Death Eaters, including her sister who was freed from Azkaban by Voldemort months ago.


Second her cousin Sirius had been killed and whilst she felt some sorrow at this she couldn't actually say it truly upset her, when she had received the notification for the will reading she had been ecstatic, thinking Draco would easily inherit everything.


She should have known better where her cousin was involved, now the Black fortune and seat on the Wizengamot was in the hands of an unknown witch and her muggle husband.


She did not know how Sirius had managed to get the ministry into accepting a muggle as Lord Black, but she would be damned if she did not do something about it. She would challenge the will on the grounds that no muggle could inherit the lordship of a great family or anything related to it, including the fortune. Money would aid her she in getting help in her plans, pouring a drink she sat down at her vanity table and began to plan out her actions.


+++


Draco Malfoy snarled as he paced in his own room, incensed by what he had seen and heard at the will reading. A damn muggle had become Lord Black, a sitting member of the Wizengamot and got the entire Black fortune, which should have been his as well. How this travesty could have happened, he wondered?


He should have become Lord Black, he should have gotten the money, but no something had interfered with his rights and he bet that something was Harry Potter.


The mere thought of his hated rival made him madder and he promised when it came time to return to Hogwarts, that he would have his revenge of the ‘Boy who Lived', no matter what.


+++


(Gringotts)


Hermione listened as Harry replied to his new guardian's question and felt shock hit her like never before, she could hardly believe it. Ron and his family were not really Harry's friends and were just using him for his inheritance, it didn't register as right, but she doubted Sirius could be so wrong. She thought back over the years since becoming friends with Harry and worked through all the inconsistencies of his life, things that had always seemed off about him.


He did not know a single thing about his family or their history at all, he knew nothing about the magical world or even about being a wizard until he was 11, then there was the events that constantly happened to him during term.


Hogwarts was supposed to be the safest place in Britain and yet Harry's life had been constantly put in danger since starting there. Not once, in all of its history she had read, had something like that happened, as it seemed to happen to Harry constantly.


Was Dumbledore truly working some kind of master plan to use Harry to destroy Voldemort for his own ends? Without a true care what it did to Harry? She wondered. It was hard to accept, as she had always had great respect for the old headmaster, but her loyalty and friendship to Harry meant more to her than anything else and she would not allow him to be used or harmed by anyone if she could help.


"Remus did you know about this?" Harry's angered voice cut through her thoughts and she turned to see Harry was now on his feet and staring up at Remus and Tonks and she noted they had the letter from Sirius.


"No Harry, I'm afraid I did not," Remus sighed as he responded. "I am sure Sirius did not want to bring anyone else into this, as it would have been dangerous and in his eyes he had nothing to lose," he continued, wishing his friend had not been so reckless.


"It does answer a lot of questions we've had though. Questions I'm afraid to say I was too cowardly to ask Dumbledore," he added, noting Harry's darkening gaze, he quickly hastened to explain.


"I owe Dumbledore everything Harry. I did tell you that I was only allowed into Hogwarts thanks to Dumbledore and he also helped me get a job here and there, before I became the defense teacher for your third year, so I'm sad to say I've been very unsure about confronting him about our suspicions," he stated, running a hand through his hair wishing this was not happening.


"I can understand that you have been loyal Remus and not wanting to sound ungrateful, but what about your duty to do what is right by my parents and Sirius?" Harry growled almost, as he asked the question. "And me?" he finished.


"Had Sirius come to me with this, I would have helped him Harry. I am loyal to you and the memory of your parents. On that I swear to you with everything I am," Remus responded quickly. Feeling a deep pain as Harry asked his questions. "But believing this is not easy for us, we were raised to believe that Dumbledore was a great wizard, who could be trusted to only do what is right," he added.


"He's right Harry," Tonks spoke up nervously, as she doubted their eventual meeting with the headmaster and the rest of the order was going to be nice. "This is huge and knowing Sirius he has more evidence locked away somewhere, but going against Dumbledore will not be easy and we still have Voldemort to deal with," she added some what hesitantly, as she did not know how Harry would receive this.


Harry's eyes darkened even more at the mere mention of the man who had killed his parents and continued to try to kill him. "Riddle is not important right now, getting answers and seeing just how far we've been manipulated is," he stated. "I need training before I can do shit about Riddle," he added.


"Why do you need training Harry? What makes you think you will need to fight him?" Xander asked, not understanding this at all.


"Dumbledore has been hiding a prophecy since before I was born, which told of a child being born with the power to destroy the Dark Lord. It is why my parents are dead and why he tried to kill me and continues to try," Harry answered in a dead voice, as he turned to face his new guardians.


He ignored the gasps and looks of shock that appeared on Hermione, Remus and Tonks faces at this information and instead noted the look of sheer horror on Jenny's and Tara's face, whilst Xander's became dark with understanding.


"I am that child, but instead of being trained for this, I was left in an abusive environment for 11 years, sent back again and again for no reason and there is also the life threatening adventures I have had, since coming home to Hogwarts," Harry explained. "I want answers and I am going to get them," he added.


Racnik watched the young Potter heir stalk out of the meeting room, followed by his friends and guardians and wished him luck. If the goblin seers were correct he would become the storm that would forever change their world, which is why the goblin parliament had been so helpful to Sirius Black, when he had first come to them to update his will and get help for his plans. He sat back in his seat and hoped Harry Potter and his new guardians were up to the task ahead of them.


+++


(Sunnydale)


Buffy ducked the wild swing of the vampire she was fighting, as Giles stood off to the side watching. She quickly came back up and rammed her stake into its undead heart dusting it.


"Not bad Buffy," Giles commented, having come on patrol to clear his head somewhat.


"Is that all you can say?" Buffy complained, before turning back.


Since Xander, Jenny and Tara have gone to England he had spent a lot of time contemplating his past. He was not a happy person and he truly wished to do something about it, however he did not know what he could do. Any chances he had with Jenny were destroyed back then. He knew this, but that did not stop him wishing it was not so. He sighed as Buffy dusted another vampire who tried to come up behind her.


A lot of time had passed since those days and the group was now a very well tried and tested team. They had been through a hell of a lot together and yes other mistakes had been made by them all. Not one of them could say they had not messed up badly at least once. These things happen and when they did there were consequences.


"I wonder if Riley and his friends are the reason why Sunnydale is so quite lately." Buffy's voice broke him out his revive.


Sighing he responded, "Must you jinx us Buffy? Is it not enough that for once we are not facing a world ending event?" he inquired, removing his glasses and polishing them.


"Sorry Giles," Buffy responded with a small smile. "It's just boring and now with Xander, Jenny and Tara gone it seems all the more so," she added, as they moved on.


"Yes, well I am sure they'll be back soon, Buffy," Giles assured her. "And I am sure that we will be up to our necks in trouble very soon," he added with a little sarcasm, which made Buffy spin about and smile at him.


"You know Giles, you love it," Buffy responded.


Giles just smiled and shook his head, before seeing something drop from a tree behind Buffy. He tried to voice a warning, but Buffy quickly spun around and lashed out with a kick knocking the vampire to the ground and quickly staked it. He relaxed and sighed, as she should have known Buffy would have sensed it


"Well done Buffy, now let us finish up this patrol and go home. I am getting tired," Giles told her, making her smile and nod before they moved on.


+++


(12 Grimmauld Place)


Xander decided that he hated wizarding means of travel, as he came to a stop on the floor. Having used a portkey to get to England and now floo powder to get to the Black house he felt their mods of travel were damn right annoying and uncomfortable. He looked across and noted Harry himself was picking himself of the the ground with a disgruntled look on his face. He guessed he did not like that mode of travel either.


Finally getting back to his feet he noticed the grins Jenny and Tara were exchanging and shook his head before turning and contemplating how this meeting would go. He noted a lot of unsure and some damn right unfriendly looks on people's faces. He was glad he had not come here unarmed, as he had a knife in his belt and another strapped to his leg. Jenny and Tara of course had their wands and their own unique magic.


Coming back to the wizarding world had forced Tara and Jenny to take up their wands again, which they had kept hidden safely all this time. Jenny had admitted she kept hers close just in case and considering it had saved her life when Angelus had tried to kill her it was a good idea. Tara had kept hers locked away in a small jewelry chest, that had belonged to her mother.


He was sure none of this crowd suspected anything about their weapons and that was just the way he liked it.


"Please follow me," the man introduced as Moody said, indicating they should follow him.


"Harry you and the others go upstairs, this is grown up talk," Molly Weasley shouted, turning to the teenagers with her hands on her hips.


"I think not Mrs. Weasley," Jenny objected, already not liking the woman who like she was used to being obeyed. "Harry will be involved in this meeting and as we are his guardians that is our choice to make," she added with clear warning in her eyes.


Molly Weasley tried to respond, but found she had little ground to stand on. Unlike with Sirius who thanks to his status as a criminal could not enforce his guardianship of Harry with the Order, these people could and seemed to ignore what Dumbledore would want.


"But he is just a boy," she finally argued, going for her usual objection and trying to guilt trip the two.


"He is anything, but a boy. Have you been blind to what he has been through in his life?" Jenny inquired, very annoyed now. "He has faced things most of you adults have not and yet you seem to think you can still treat him like he is a child," she said in disgust. "Like he has not earned your respect and trust, now why is that?" she inquired.


Molly didn't respond, she just huffed and began to order her own kids and Hermione up the stairs, but Harry's hand quickly shot out and grabbed his friends hand and pulled her back.


"You have no right to control me or Hermione Mrs. Weasley," Harry spoke up, pleased to finally have some adults who were willing to go head to head with the Order for him. "You are not our mother or even related to us and so we shall not be ordered about," he added, causing Hermione to smile whilst most of the Order grumbled or just shook their heads in annoyance.


Granted Sirius had told them a lot that he was not supposed to, but he had allowed things to be kept from them and allowed Molly to herd them all upstairs, when there was an order meeting. Jenny's argument said just as much as he had tried to say before. After all the things he had been through, he would think he was entitled to some answers, but he was always ignored or shunted out of the way.


Dumbledore watched this small argument from the back of the room and shook his head, as Harry began to show more rebellious behavior now he had guardians, who would support him. He would have to use all his powers to get the new Lord and Lady Black to support his plans and to follow his command, it would seem, but he had a lot of practice in this kind of thing, so he was not worried. He was already wondering if there was anyway to get the Dursley's out of prison, so Harry would be returned to their home. Finally he turned and led everyone into the enlarged kitchen and sat at the head of the table. Once everyone was seated he steeled his hands together and looked at them all.


"I am sure we have much to discuss, but first I think it is imperative we make our new friends aware of the danger Harry is in and why he must return to the Dursley's home," he started, ignoring the angered look that quickly came to Harry's face at this.


"You are out of your mind Mr. Dumbledore, if you think Harry is going anywhere near that place ever again," Xander argued, standing up. "In case you missed it, Racnik clearly stated those people were arrested for abusive behavior and neglect," he added. "How can you even think of sending him back there?" he demanded to know.


An argument quickly broke out between everyone at the table, as many disliked the tone of the young man as he spoke to their leader, others argued about the Dursley's.


Xander shook his head and sat back down and noted Jenny and Tara talking with Harry and Hermione, he wondered what they were discussing.


"And what you seem to fail to realise Mr. Harris, is that Harry is under a great threat which he is only safe of at his relatives house, thanks to the blood wards I created there," Dumbledore shot back, not used to been disobeyed and he did not liking the feeling of it.


"Safe?" Harry shot out of is seat and glared at Dumbledore. "I have never been safe, the Dursley's abuse was constant and considering the attack by the dementors at the beginning of the year it cannot be that safe," he argued. "Plus I am sure if Malfoy or his cronies payed enough, the ministry would hand over my address and all they would have to do then is bribe my relatives," he added darkly. "They'd sell me out in seconds," he stated.


Silence descended into the room at this, but once again soon talking broke out quickly. Xander wondered how they got anything done if all they did was arguing. Glancing around the room he noted a tall man with greasy black hair and dark eyes glaring at Harry with a sneer on his face, deciding the man was not to be trusted Xander turned back to the old Headmaster who looked deep in thought.


"Do you really expect us to believe that, Potter?" The dark greasy haired man inquired, finally making everyone turn to him. "Everyone knows what kind of celebrity lifestyle you live," he added with disdain.


"You are seriously messed up Snape, if you still think that," Harry growled out, overriding the attempt Dumbledore made to correct him.


"Enough, Harry is not going back there, full stop," Jenny shouted finally, standing up. "We are his guardians now and he will stay with us, and before you object, remember that I am a witch of this world so I know how to defend my home," she reminded them.


"I'm afriad that is not good enough Mrs. Harris," Dumbledore stated, getting to his feet as well. "It is too dangerous and so I must insist Harry stays here," he added.


He had already come to the conclusion he would be unable to send Harry back to the Dursely's and he had no time to actually get the abusive idiots out of jail. So he was gonna keep Harry here, where his people could keep an eye on him and ensure that his new guardians did not begin to teach Harry things he did not want him to learn. His plans needed to stay on track, as much as possible.


Xander came to his feet again as he sensed how annoyed his wife was becoming with the old man and he felt it as well. The old man seemed to want control of Harry. They knew from the letter that was exactly what he wanted, but they could do nothing to show that just yet. At the moment they had no real ability to ensure Harry's safety, if anything started here. Still this had to stop.


"You seem to forget something Mr. Dumbledore and that is all the Black properties are now ours and hence we can evict you all, if you attempt to control us," Xander told the old man.


"Is that a threat Mr. Harris?" Dumbledore inquired, unable to believe he was hearing such a thing from a muggle, as he began to pull his wand from his pocket.


Xander felt like screaming, as the old man again got forceful and tried to make it out that he and his wife were the problem. He closed his eyes, as his anger began to build up, almost as if he could feel it roll around inside him.


"Will you all calm down? We are on the same side," Fleur Delacour shouted, unsure where all the hostility was coming from and not liking it at all.


She had been happy to see Harry arrive at headquarters safe and sound and tried to greet him, but she had been pulled away from him by Bill Weasley, someone she was beginning to like. Since they began the meeting she had not liked a lot of what had been said concerning Harry's relatives and home life. It did not paint a very happy picture to her, where it concerned the young teen who saved her sister and asked for nothing in return. She owed him much, even if he did not truly understand that.


"Are we?" Snape sneered at her, which she ignored, as she was well used to people like him.


"I will say this once more Mr. Harris, so you can understand it. Harry needs to be somewhere safe and watched carefully. If you refuse to allow this to happen, then you are as much of a threat then the Death Eaters as your way will properly get him killed," Dumbledore stated, trying to rally the Order against the newcomers.


He knew his own people would support him, especially those in the know about his true goals and plans. However there were those who had no clue what had been put into motion all those years ago, when the Potters had been killed. Keeping them on his side had always been easy, until Harry had returned to the wizarding world, as things progressed these members became more concerned and unsure of his orders.


Jenny began to sense a build up of energy close to her position, which confused her, as she noted no one close to them had a wand out. She closed her eyes and tried to find the source, but could not. She glanced at Tara and noted that she was looking around as well, which meant she had sensed it as well.


Xander felt the anger get worse within him, as the old man tried to paint them as the bad guys. Clearly he wanted total domination of Harry no matter what.


"You are not listening to us Dumbledore," Xander shot back, dropping the Mr. as he went. "Harry is our charge now and we will protect him anyway we can. You have no authority to demand anything from us or Harry," he stated.


Dumbledore felt his anger at being refused pushed past its limits and shot his hand out with his wand, intending to stun the muggle, almost in slow motion he saw Jenny Harris come up pulling her own wand, but before anyone could shout a spell a backlash of magical energy shot out of Xander and impacted into Dumbledore, sending him into the wall and out cold, as his head hit it badly.

Xander himself looked shocked, as did everyone else. He began to feel weak and yet he could still feel whatever it was rolling inside him now.


"Cool," he said, before he fell unconscious and was caught by Jenny and Tara, as he collapsed.


"What was that?" Harry asked, as he checked to make sure he was ok.


"It was accidental magic, a backlash almost as if his magic broke through barriers placed inside to lock his magic down," Tara responded, as Remus, Tonks and Hermione bent down to listen.


"How is that possible? I though your husband was a muggle?" Tonks inquired, very confused and more than a little amazed to see the supposed great Albus Dumbledore put down by a supposed muggle.


"I don't know," Jenny finally spoke, as she found a strong pulse and breathed a sigh of relief. "But I intend to find out," she added intensely.


Around the room Order members either checked on their leader or just sat in stunned disbelief at what they had just seen. Snape had to fight hard not to laugh at the spectacle. He may be an Order member, but he was loyal only to himself. To him Dumbledore and Voldemort were the same and until both were dead he would never be free.


Fleur sat alone, as Bill and the rest of the Weasley family had rushed over to check on the Headmaster. She had a calculating look in her eyes as she reassessed Harry's new guardians. Silence descended on the room, as the two groups stared at each other.
Sign up to rate and review this story