Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Death Shall Have No Dominion

Ad Meliora

by MortasPriest 3 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2011-06-18 - Updated: 2011-06-18 - 10519 words

3Original
Chapter 4 : Ad Meloria

To say that the view was magnificent would be an understatement, decided Jocelyn Burbidge, long-time researcher for the Department of Mysteries. She was presently floating around Ceres, her wand twitching slightly as her quill wrote down her observations in great detail, entirely on its own.

London, of course, only possessed a relatively minor Cosmos Chamber - It merely represented the Solar Stem - far in the distance the bright sun burned in the night sky, though its light was muted. Jocelyn didn't really use it for lighting in any case - that was what magic was for. In the gloom of the chamber, Mars was a mere crimson blur, and Earth little more than a pale blue dot.

"The object 'Ceres', formerly known as 'Ceres Ferdinandea' was discovered by muggle Cosmos-researcher Giuseppe Piazzi in 1801. Due to various reasons, doubtlessly including his lack of magic, it took arithmancer Carl Gauss to confirm his suspicions." Jocelyn said softly, as she circled the light brown sphere.

"Twisting the truth again, Jocelyn?" came an amused voice from somewhere beyond Jupiter. "I'd have thought you of all people would've researched these people in more depth. Piazzi is an old Italian wizarding family - Giuseppe was, in fact, a Squib. As for Gauss - I'm sure you merely forget that he was a mathematician, not an arithmancer. A muggle."

"Get out here, Lassell." Jocelyn answered with some venom. "You know as well as I do that this tiny excuse for a planetoid has had at least a dozen extensive reports already. I've read them - all of them are hopelessly apologetic about the inabilities of muggles. I hardly think a little balance could hurt."

With an elegant movement William Lassell floated into view, smiling broadly. "Oh, Jocelyn. Only you would think anti-muggle propaganda brings balance."

"What are you doing here, Lassell? I've still got hours of work to do working on this pointless report. After which I'll doubtlessly be assigned to researching Uranus and being joked about for a full week."

"Actually, it was a bit of a social call," William answered apologetically. "You've not been at any of our usual meet-ups, and I sort of missed you."

"Grow up, Lassell." Jocelyn growled. "We've not been at any of our usual meet-ups since you decided it'd be a good idea to bring two women you met late at night into your bedroom. The bedroom you share with me, if you recall."

"That was a misunderstanding," William scoffed, as he ducked out of the way of several asteroids zooming by. "How was I supposed to know that working in the Space Chamber left your more vulnerable to alcohol than usual?"

"You might've read the manual we got on our first day here," she said. "That, or listened to any of your colleagues. Including myself. You've got nobody to blame but yourself."

"Can't we work this out?" William asked after a moment, moving his legs slightly to get himself closer to Ceres, and Jocelyn. "We got over that spat we had regarding Pluto, didn't we?"

Jocelyn sneered. "That was work-related. I don't mix business and pleasure, as you well know."
William shrugged lightly, bouncing a few slow-moving asteroids back into their belt. "

"Fair enough. Five minutes, though? Then I'll promise you to leave to your ... important ... work."

Jocelyn perched herself carefully on top of Ceres. "Since you've been outside this place, tell me what's going on in the other departments - maybe I'll let you stay a bit longer."

William smiled congenially, quickly brandishing his wand. "Accio Vesta."

"Honestly, William? Just remember that we have to put them back when we're done. You know some people around here will have a fit."

It took mere moments before a roughly rounded asteroid came hurtling out of the darkness, slowly revolving. Vesta, roughly half as wide as Ceres, settled into a slow orbit around the latter - William quickly mimicked Jocelyn's position on top of it.

"If you're done badly imitating me, get to business." Jocelyn said, smirking. "What's the news?"

"Guy from Temporal is visiting." William began, "No idea what he's waiting for, but I hear it has something to do with the old storage lockers below the Hall of Prophecy. Best I can figure that's where something is going to happen, and he's here to observe."

"Temporal." Jocelyn mused. "I've not had any experience with them myself, but my sister did - of course, they obliviated her of the experience. She's lost a full year on that."

"I think they're lying to us about Temporal," William said, shrugging. "The higher-ups, that is. I suspect that they've broken the time-turner limit long ago and are just keeping it silent."

"What would be the point?" Jocelyn said dejectedly. "Unless they've figured out a way to change the universe, they can't actually change history one bit."

"I suppose," William admitted. "Well, that's the big news, in any case - it's rare enough that one of them shows up around here. Most of them are hauled up in Site 17, no doubt."

"Site 17 doesn't exist any more." Jocelyn said, resettling herself, flattening Ceres' surface. "It was already being evacuated when mum was still on the job, it's been ages."

"You do take all this propaganda seriously, don't you?" William said in wonder. "I highly doubt that the Departments of Mysteries of all the magical nations in the world were incapable of saving their own base of operations. It's unthinkable. I think Site 17 is still in use."

"For what?" scoffed Jocelyn. "Ever since the break-up, none of the Departments have been all too glad to team up with any of the others. There's no international organization left to use it, even if still existed."

"Don't you think that the reason for the break-up has never been explained? By anyone? I believe it's a huge cover-up. The Unspeakables went into hiding and all they'll show to the world at large is the perfectly allowed things, while everything that needs to be kept secret is trucked off to a secret base. Site 17, hidden from prying eyes."

"Interesting theories, William," Jocelyn said with an odd look on her face. "What makes you think that this," she waved around absent-mindedly, "All of this is a ruse?"

"Just think," William stated, getting riled up. "The Minister never even comes down here - if he ever has a meeting with Unspeakables, it's in an undisclosed location. The higher-ups don't actually have any offices anywhere in the building, but I've seen them walk into this very department numerous times, only to vanish. I believe that this is merely a front for the REAL Department."

"And to think I thought you were harmless." Jocelyn stated with an air of disinterest, as she raised her wand. "You've been quite an observant one, haven't you? Obliviate."

"W-What?" William managed to stutter.

"We talked about department news, and we agreed to stop avoiding each other. Whenever you have the urge to disclose your theories about the Department of Mysteries, you'll think of me as a trustworthy person to tell." Jocelyn intoned sadly. "I'm sorry, William."

"I'm sorry as well," William said after a moment with a glazed look in his eyes. "I'll see you next Thursday, then." he floated off haphazardly, still recovering from his obliviation, even if he didn't realize it.

Vesta continued to circle Ceres silently, as Jocelyn stretched. This, she realized, was what she hated the most about her job. She couldn't really confide in people - if anyone came to suspect, they'd be made to forget.

Jocelyn sighed, as she stood up from her asteroid, casually repairing its surface. "It's hard, keeping these secrets." she said. "More people will start to get questions if we actually go forward with recruiting teenagers." She turned towards the sun. "You can come out."

"I know events are spiralling out of control." A dark shape said, as he emerged from the direction of Earth. "I caught most of your conversation, there. More will come to similar conclusions. It's bad enough that we have a handful of people in the know that we don't control, we don't want to have any that we don't know about at all. We might have to change long-established habits to increase security."

"It's so tiring, you know." Jocelyn answered. "I can't even tell my family about the Site. I shudder to think what will happen if we make the department any more mysterious? This Department's name is starting to be a bit too literal. You know what it's like, you've been undercover for years. It must eat at you, not being able to share."

"I talked to Arnold the other day, and he's talking about the likes of Alastor Moody beginning to suspect." the dark shape commented. "That, of course, isn't too much of a problem - he's rather understanding of our need for secrecy - but it's worrying. Personally, I keep my professional life quite separate from my personal life - that way I won't feel so bad about not talking about my work."

"Mad-Eye is too smart for his own good. It's a wonder he's not been recruited straight after he left the Aurors."

"He's occasionally approached for advice." the man answered. "In any case, we'll have to do -something- in any case. With the high-profile recruit that might be joining any day now, quite a few journalist eyes will be fixed firmly on us."

"Potter." Jocelyn said angrily. "He's, what, fifteen? He'll be one of the youngest recruits we've ever had, and all the others were veritable geniuses. I think the Minister is far too fond of the publicity he'll get from this, and is letting it cloud his senses. Then there's all those testimonials and claimed achievements - honestly most of those are completely laughable. Slaying an adult Basilisk at age twelve?!"

"You know that our recruitment procedure is not due to chance," the shrouded shape said as he finally alighted his wand, illuminating his face. "He's been in our books since 1898, it's hardly a new discovery. Besides, I was among the investigators of the Chamber of Secrets, and that serpent was quite real."

"I don't believe a word of it," Jocelyn jeered. "I know you enjoy playing the devil's advocate, Royden. What do you really think?"

"I don't believe I will share that with you." the man said, grinning slightly. "We'll see what happens, won't we?" He floated away serenely, tugging Vesta along, back to its orbit. "See you around, J."


"You're serious?" Harry said, blinking rapidly. Several portraits around the room carefully looked through their eyelids at the conversation, but found that they were unable to follow it - Dumbledore had spelled them blind and deaf.

"Quite." Croaker replied, picking up the letter. "You'll find that the Minister himself is responsible for this invite - there is nobody in this country that can prevent you from joining our Department." He glanced up at Dumbledore while saying that. "It's entirely your choice."

Dumbledore, for his part, was plainly surprised by the letter. "My goodness, an invitation to the Department of Mysteries? I was not aware you enlisted schoolchildren."

"I'm not a child." Harry said casually, as he took the letter back from Croaker. "I think I'll need to research this. I don't know much of anything about the Department of Mysteries. Don't I need to finish school first?"

"You'd finish your NEWTs in due time, there are arrangements for it." Croaker commented quickly.

"Harry," Dumbledore began, worriedly. "Are you certain you are willing to consider this offer? It may very well be a way for the Minister to gain control over your actions, as it would remove you from my influence."

Harry glanced up apologetically, sinking into his chair. "I hadn't thought of that." he admitted, reading over the first lines of the letter again. "Moody knew something about this though, and he didn't seem to think it too worrying."

"Really?" Dumbledore responded, surprised. "I wonder why he didn't inform me?"

"You'll find that there are rules about that sort of thing." Croaker interrupted. "Mr. Moody serves as an advisor to the Department of Mysteries since early in his career. He's trusted to keep our secrets from anyone not appropriate to know them."

"Can he get into trouble for talking to me?" Harry asked fearfully, thinking of the summer.

Croaker smiled slightly, tapping the letter in Harry's hand. "I have a feeling he won't."

Dumbledore, meanwhile, was frowning over his glasses. "What can you tell us of Harry's activities, were he to join the Ministry of Magic?"

"Not very much, I'm afraid," Croaker said, sighing. "However, if you were to take an Unbreakable Vow, you may receive a similar status to Mr. Moody - I was informed by my superiors that it might be necessary."

"Harry has quite a few friends at this school," Dumbledore said, "I would require promises of similar agreements with them, so as to allow him to maintain his relationships. I will not allow Mr. Potter to be cut off from his life."

"Of course," Croaker nodded, taking a letter from his robe. "I'm afraid I can only allow similar to access to five students - those who were are already familiar with. Those who joined you in your exploration of our Department, in fact." The Unspeakable smiled slightly, tossing the letter on Dumbledore's desk.

Dumbledore still looked worried, but seemed to have calmed down somewhat. "You clearly have prepared for this meeting, Mr. Croaker. Is there any specific reason that the Ministry, and specifically the Department of Mysteries, wishes to acquire Mr. Potter's services?"

"There are several." Croaker admitted. "Notable ones include his apparent ability to See, his remarkable record in the area of practical defence against the Dark Arts, and a recommendation from our Minister. There are several others, but I'm afraid that they are confidential."

"My remarkable record in Defence?" Harry questioned, rejoining the discussion. "I'm pretty high in my class, but I hardly think I'm so good the Ministry would notice."

"Mr. Potter," Croaker said, smiling slightly. "Your humility is commendable, but you should take some pride in your accomplishments. There's not many wizards of any age that have battled a Basilisk - and fewer that have survived. None of them were twelve years old at the time. There are fewer yet that have faced the Dark Lord multiple times, and lived to tell the tale. Of course, we're ignoring the fact that you successfully won a tournament meant for students several years your senior, and that you successfully fought of several Death Eaters in my very Department."

Dumbledore's eyes were twinkling, Harry noticed. He'd seen that look before - back in first year, shortly after he woke up in the infirmary. Was that pride?

"I was not aware the Ministry was quite so aware of Mr. Potter's activities." Dumbledore said softly. "Yet this information was not described in the papers, despite the fact that the former Minister could have gained considerable publicity with it. How much control does the Minister have on your Department, Mr. Croaker?"

Croaker coughed, looking away. "The Minister does not have as much control on our Department as he believes. To expound on that topic would be unwise until you have sworn a vow."

Dumbledore nodded, as he looked at Harry. "I believe that you and your friends should discuss this topic in the near future - don't be too hasty in your acceptance or denial."

"You'd allow me to go?" Harry said, somewhat perplexed. "Not that I've decided, but it seems you'd be opposed to me leaving Hogwarts to join the Ministry, considering," He looked sideways at Croaker, "The prophecy, that is."

"I wouldn't dare steal your choices from you, Harry." Dumbledore answered regally. "The invitation was for you alone, and therefore I'll let you consider it. Should you accept and rethink your choice at a later time, the gates of Hogwarts will always be open."

Harry nodded silently, regarding the Headmaster with considerable respect. "Thank you, sir. It's good to know you trust me this much."

Dumbledore chuckled, glancing at Croaker. "I would trust you with my life, dear boy. Now, you'd better get to bed, and make sure you arrange a meeting with your friends. No doubt Mrs. Granger will supply you with the necessary information to make your decision, and you may discuss it at length with all of them."

"Although I predict no problems, I would ask you to swear an Unbreakable Vow to keep your secrets shortly, if you decide to accept. You do not know enough to spread around at this time for me to threaten obliviation, but I would request you be somewhat careful with who hears of your invitation. The same can be said about your Seeing ability." Croaker added. "I will allow the five of them to swear the Vow with Headmaster Dumbledore, a person they doubtlessly respect more than myself."

"I'll be really careful," Harry said quickly, somewhat worried Malfoy would find out, or any of the other people in contact with Death Eaters. "Will Voldemort find out about this?"

If Croaker was unnerved by the name, he didn't show it. "Should you accept, there will likely be a report on your recruitment into the Unspeakables in short order. The media will likely cover it for some time as well."

"Can't we just keep it silent?" Harry pleaded, thinking of Rita Skeeter and that infernal pen.

"I'm afraid that your disappearance from Hogwarts would be discouraging to the public at large, due to your considerable influence in the present conflict with Lord Voldemort. Morale is important, and we will not be responsible for destroying it in the favour of secrecy. Besides that, we are quite certain there remain several informants within the Ministry of Magic that report to Voldemort - you'd need to go around entirely shrouded in a cloak at all times to preserve your identity, which will raise eyebrows as well."

Harry nodded slightly, trying to summon up bravery. He thought back to his early summer, and his poetry book, through which he had resolved to justify himself. "Death shall have no dominion," he whispered below his breath. Finally, he looked up. "Very well. What else do I need to know?"

Dumbledore seemed surprised at Harry's acquiescence, but didn't mention it. "You should meet with Professor Snape, and mention your apparent ability to See. I'm quite convinced he will be of help to understanding this new ability of yours."

Harry stood up, grumbling. "I still don't believe I'm a bloody Seer." Dumbledore nor Croaker said anything as Harry walked to the door. "I'll let you know what I'll do as soon as I can."

"Take this," Dumbledore said, pointing to the invitation letter that remained on his desk.

Harry waved his hand slightly, concentrating on the words. "Accio Letter," he whispered, and it jumped up and flew into his hand. "Almost forget. Goodnight, Headmaster, Mr. Croaker."

He didn't notice Croaker's gasp, or Dumbledore's amused chuckle.

"Wandless summoning!" Harry heard vaguely from the headmaster's office, and he smirked as he strode down the spiral staircase.


"You're kidding." Hermione said, eyes wide. "Do you know what a chance that is? The Unspeakables have the largest known collection of rare magical books and records-"

Harry regarded Hermione with some amusement, as he leaned into his chair in the Gryffindor common room, currently containing half a dozen students. "Yes, Hermione." Harry answered, holding her at arm's length. "I'm aware that they're a secretive bunch with a lot of secret magic. It's clear you already decided what I should do."

Hermione calmed, but she remained unmistakably lively. "Harry, if I were given this choice, I'd go for it immediately. Although nobody really knows what the Unspeakables do, what IS known is that they work with the rarest and strangest of magic, and have a great amount of magical information that is completely forbidden for most wizards and witches."

"Which is what I just said," Harry said, tiredly. "Secret magic. I know it's your particular interest, but I'm not as studious as you are."

"I don't know, Harry," Ron said, as he finished the letter. "Dad's always talked about how weird Unspeakables are, and how that whole Department seems to be about hiding away anything they can from common wizards and witches."

"Dad's not particularly objective on it, though," Ginny added. "I mean, he's never been too fond of Ministry regulations, despite working for them. Remember the car?"

Harry had gathered his five closest friends together the morning after his midnight chat with Dumbledore and the Unspeakable Croaker, and they'd all reacted with various shades of shock. Surprisingly, Harry noted, none of them seemed particularly worried about the Unspeakables or the Ministry's possible ulterior motives. Luna, in fact, showed absolutely no surprise at all - Neville, on the other hand, seemed positively elated.

"I think it's right that they'd ask Harry," Neville said confidently. "My granddad joined the Unspeakables, but he left them when he got married. Gran told me all sorts of stories about how wonderful he thought it was. I think that was before all the obliviators got involved, though."

Ginny, absently looking out over the lake, turned, watching Neville carefully. "Do you think your Gran could help Harry choose?"

"Oh, I know she'd be all for it," Neville admitted. "She's really proud of him and my parents, and she's trying to get me to follow their footsteps all the time. Remember how she reacted to our fight at the Ministry?"

"Would you be away from Hogwarts all the time?" Ron asked. "I mean, wouldn't you be missing out on the NEWTs?"

"They said I would be finishing those anyway," Harry said, "Dumbledore will also allow me back here if it were really necessary." He sighed and pulled a hand through his hair, regarding his friends calmly. "I think that's beside the point, though."

"What are the best reasons you shouldn't do this?" Ginny said, eyeing Luna who was merely looking on with a smug grin. "I mean, plenty of reasons to be excited about it, I'm sure. There's got to be downsides."

"The Ministry might be trying to get me to play its tune," Harry began. "Dumbledore seemed to think it was likely, though I think he was convinced otherwise, I'm not sure. He seemed rather less worried as time went on. There's a new Minister, though, so I can't be sure he's like Fudge."

"If you make sure your contract allows you to leave whenever you want, that shouldn't be a problem," Hermione commented. "The Ministry can only have you do so much before you would notice, and you would be able to quite noisily make your exist. That would even work with the likes of former Minister Fudge, given how much he feared bad press."

"Yes, Harry!" Ginny enthused. "You could probably put an interview in the paper and get the Minister sacked. It worked on the last one, after all."

"I beg your pardon?" Harry asked, looking at Ginny. "I'm pretty sure that Voldemort's return got Fudge out of office, not any of my interviews. Which I didn't like to do, by the way." Ron and Neville cringed at the name, though the girls didn't seem to mind.

Ron patted him on the back with a smile. "Now, mate, we all know that if it weren't for you publicly announcing V-V-You-Know-Who's return, Fudge would still be in office and my dad would probable be out of a job."

"Did you hear," Ginny said suddenly, excited. "Dad might be getting a promotion! I think it's because the Minister knows that he's part of the Order. I heard that the new Minister is very much against Voldemort, and he respects Dumbledore."

"The new Minister is a reasonable chap, then." Harry said wonderingly. "Considering the Ministry personnel I've met thus far, it hasn't exactly made a great impression. I wonder if he's simply trying to get the Order to work for him through controlling me?"

"Rufus Scrimgeour is a good man," Neville said, "I've met him a few times, when I went out with my Gran. He was Head of the Aurors for a while, and he's supposed to be ruthless and completely opposed to dark magic. I don't think it's likely that he'd go that far."

"Though he used to use Dark Arts a lot," Hermione said, leading to several stares. "It's in his autobiography."

"Why am I not surprised you read it," Harry replied wryly. "So, Hermione, anything in particular I should be worried about? Is this Department of Mysteries dangerous?"

"I'm sure," Hermione said, nodding. "I mean, there's been disappearances. Studying ancient magic and tracking down rare artefacts can't be too simple. It's bound to be full of trouble. Of course, the same can be said for Hogwarts. Our time here hasn't been the most uneventful."

"You can say that again," Ron responded, chuckling wryly. "Between giant chess sets, evil teachers and Dark Lords, we've had our work cut out for us."

"I think you should talk to Professor Snape." Luna interjected suddenly. "I'm sure he can help."

"Snape?" Ron spat harshly. "That excuse for a professor should stay well away from Harry. You don't know what he did last year, do you? I wouldn't trust him with a knut."

Harry hushed Ron with a calming gesture, smiling slightly. "Professor Snape, though undoubtedly a git of considerable proportions, has been quite civil this year. He's offered his apologies for his actions last year, and I provisionally accept that."

"Snape apologized?" Ginny said disbelievingly, as Neville blanched.

"Dumbledore asked him to." Harry said simply. "If he can remain relatively calm, then I can do the same. At least he's helping me with Occlumency, now. Properly. Detesting him isn't really a good reason to risk all of you."

"Occlumency?" Neville wondered aloud, but Ginny talked over him. "So you've got a truce with Snape because Dumbledore said so? This can't possibly last."

"It won't." Harry admitted. He'd known the peace with Snape was at best temporary since Dumbledore even proposed it. "I will, however, not be the one to break the stalemate. When he does, it will be strictly on his shoulders to mend that."

"At least you won't see him too much either, if you're out of the school," Neville said nervously. "You've got to see the bright side. I bet you could find some teacher in the Mind Arts at the Ministry, though I didn't know you were interested in that."

"I'd miss all of you, a lot." Harry said sadly. "I'd probably see you quite often, but it wouldn't be like now. As for Occlumency, Neville - Voldemort's a rather powerful Legilimens, so it's rather necessary."

"At least we'd know a bit of what you're up to," said Hermione, as Neville paled considerably. "I mean, nobody else would know anything more than where you are."

"Maybe we should all consider learning Occlumency," Neville said nervously. "At least you'd be well out of the way of Voldemort, Harry. The Department of Mysteries must surely be better protected than Hogwarts now, after our break-in."

"I'd still be elsewhere, though." Harry said, sadly. "I really don't like the idea of that."

"We would keep in contact, of course." Ginny responded. "Besides, you'd have to come over for the holidays, and I'm sure that Professor Dumbledore would allow you into the school whenever you want."

"You guys really want me to go, do you?" Harry said with an amused grin. "Who knew you would so gladly be rid of me."

"Don't be silly, Harry." Ginny said flatly. "We already agreed we'd make an Unbreakable Vow, I think we can safely agree that it means we'll not leave you alone."

"Don't worry, Harry, you'll see us often enough." Luna said, smiling enigmatically. "I'll be there too, sometimes."

"I'm sure, Luna." Harry said, confused. "You seem quite convinced I'll accept."

"I know you will," she simply answered, shrugging.

"You're not a Seer, are you?" Harry asked suspiciously. Harry had made sure to keep his alleged Seer abilities a secret - he didn't believe it himself, yet. It was still such an alien concept, he had trouble even thinking of Seers as anything other than Trelawney-clones.

"No, I'm not a Seer." Luna answered frankly. "You are, though."

Nobody seemed quite surprised at Luna's comments, ignoring them as the usual obscure nonsense, though Harry got a chill.

"Sorry I can't really help choosing," Ron said, though he seemed distracted. "You never do get to be normal, do you?"

"I guess I don't." Harry admitted. "I'm having a hard enough time getting to grips with this whole Ministry interest thing as it is. Dumbledore seems convinced I'm a powerful wizard too. I envy you."

"You envy me?" Ron said, baffled. "You're a world-famous rich powerhouse of a wizard, and you envy me? Whatever for?"

"Many things, Ron," Harry answered. "Having a loving family. Doing what you love, not what you need to do."

Ron didn't answer, though he coloured somewhat; Ginny smiled victoriously, as if Harry had said exactly what she wanted.

The six of them ultimately ended up talking over the letter for close to an hour, before they needed to get ready for class. Nobody seemed particularly surprised to see Neville and Luna with the Gryffindors, thankfully.


"Deprimo!"

With a loud snap, the Death Eater's leg snapped, crushed into the pavement. With an anguished cry he lashed out with his wand, his hand trembling. "Expulso!"

Moody launched himself sidewards, narrowly avoiding the point-blank explosive curse that detonated loudly against the wall behind him, showering debris down the street. With a curse and a twist he smacked his fist firmly into the Death Eater's nose, knocking him out cold.

Four more Death Eaters appeared around the corner of the next lane, wands ready. Moody, meanwhile, ensconced himself behind a wall, though he'd been noticed. "Bastards are everywhere," he muttered, wondering where the others were.

"Avada Kedavra!" four voices cried around the corner, blasting into the corner with paint and bricks flying everywhere. Merely to show off, Moody suspected. "Come out, Mad-Eye."

Moody, mentally preparing for a heavily outmatched duel, took a glance around the corner. All four Death Eaters had placed themselves behind solid objects, and were not in reach of any of the more conventional spells. Time to improvise.

"If you come a step closer I'll blast yer legs off." Moody cursed, silently conjuring a marble sphere, two inches across. "Maybe I'll hit your head instead and save Azkaban some time." With a flourish he added an Expulso enchantment to the stone. Ten seconds ought to be enough. "Come and get me."

The moment four more voices cried out, Moody tapped the sphere and threw it around the corner. It rolled innocently forward, and for a moment the Death Eaters didn't notice.

"Duck!" One suddenly cried out, but it was too late. With a massive detonation three of the wizards were blasted out of their hiding places, landing roughly, dazed. With his wand expertly aimed, Moody nimbly jumped from his hiding place, any limping forgotten. " Lacarnum Inflamarae!" he cried.

None of the three bruised Death Eaters had the presence of mind to avoid the monstrous ball of fire that splashed into the ground between them, the inferno blasting outwards with long tongues of flame. Their cries were brief.

"You'll pay for that, Mad-Eye!" The fourth Death Eater cried, hidden behind an upturned car further down the street.

"You'll have to get me first," Moody returned, growling. "Come and get me."

The Death Eater, however, swiftly vanished with a pop, leaving Moody once again alone in the street. With a discontented sigh Moody limped towards the centre of town, where he could still hear a commotion. Clearly, the anti-disapparition jinxes had failed, which probably meant one or more powerful Death Eaters were at the raid - he'd simply missed the opportunity to take them on.

Moody nonchalantly identified two of the three Death Eaters he'd just killed in battle - two recent recruits, he suspected, most probably from Eastern Europe, judging by the fur-lined cloaks they were wearing. The third, unfortunately, no longer had a face.

The attack, poorly executed as it was, was at least the tenth this month, and Moody was getting worried. There was no real reason for the attacks - the targets were muggle villages, and most of the time the Death Eaters fled without even getting any killing or torture done. For Moody this could only be one thing : tests.

The Death Eaters were intentionally testing out the capabilities of the Order and the Ministry, and getting new recruits used to combat. There were always a few strong wizards or witches along, though they didn't show themselves - they were merely there to arrange an exist for the amateurs. It was pathetic, really. The problem was - if this kept up, Voldemort would know what they were capable of. There would be no more surprises - and then the real attacks would begin.

"Dumbledore, where do I need to be?" Moody growled, aiming his Patronus at the centre of town. It took mere moments for a reply to come. "I'm told that there's only a handful left - most are disapparating. I haven't heard of any casualties."

"Three to report, got caught alone against a four-man team." Moody sent back, speeding up. The response, this time, was curt.

"Where is your team?" The phoenix crooned.

"I sent 'em all to St. Mungo's. They'll be fine." Moody responded again, frowning at the method of communication. He wished it was less visible - the silvery flashes were unmistakable.

Dumbledore finally came into view, supporting a visibly exhausted Elphias Doge. Moody quickly stalked over. "How many did you face?"

"There were only a few here," Dumbledore said, frowning. "Someone took down the apparition jinx I placed - a powerful wizard or witch, I'm sure. We met none that were powerful enough, ourselves. The others have already headed back home."

"No powerful wizards on my end, I think." Moody returned. "None of them were familiar."

Dumbledore didn't comment, but silently disapparated with barely a sound, taking Doge, who was still quite out of it. Moody followed seconds later, grimacing.

"A recruit mission." Dumbledore concluded, as he followed Moody into Grimmauld Place. "Clearly Lord Voldemort is hard at work increasing his ranks."

Moody nodded, though he seemed somewhat more energetic than usual, after his recent battle. "I'm betting things will only be more difficult for us. We might want to consider getting some more people ourselves."

"I have high hopes for our new Minister." Dumbledore said, twinkling over his glasses. "I believe me might also have more allies, in time, via one of our mutual acquaintances."

"Don't expect the Unspeakables to join the Order," Moody said offhandedly. "They probably won't."

"You never did tell me about the Ministry's interest in Harry." Dumbledore said, suspiciously. "You caught onto that awfully fast. Are you sure you couldn't have found any way to warn me about all of this?"

"Honestly, I was hoping to see the look on yer face." Moody answered, snorting. "I figured it'd come up eventually anyway, and if it didn't happen, I didn't make a fool of myself."

"Just remember that Harry is rather important to the Order. If you have important information, make sure to inform us that something is going on, at least."

"Fair enough." Moody said mildly. "Best keep most of this under wraps for now. Harry joining the Ministry will be shock enough when it's in the papers."

"You are that convinced he will say yes?" Dumbledore wondered.

"Haven't met a man that spurned the Unspeakables yet." Moody said, smirking wryly. "And Potter's got the potential, I believe, to be great there."


"You're a Seer." Snape said flatly. "You've been invited to join the Unspeakables, as well. How it must stroke your ego."

"It's all rather a surprise." Harry responded nervously, eyeing Snape, who sneered.

"Perhaps the Headmaster will elect to replace Sybill, now" Snape said, scowling. "No doubt she'll be overjoyed to have another like her, though."

"I'm not Trelawney!" Harry answered, shaking his head. "I don't want to be a Seer, but I can't really help it, can I?"

"Why do you feel the need to tell me?" Snape said harshly. "You seem to think I care. Surely you won't mind the fame your appointment in the Ministry may bring you?"

"Dumbledore thought you'd find the Seeing discovery might be helpful for the visions." Harry said, frowning. "I reckon it's a Seer vision or whatever for something that's yet to happen to me. The Unspeakable argued that it was the Fiendblood curse."

Snape hissed, "Fiendblood? That's very dark magic. Lethal. The Dark Lord refrains from using it since despite its versatility as torture, it's rather fond of killing the victim if insufficient control is applied."

"So he said," Harry admitted. "The Unspeakable figured if I could break the connection from the curse, I could survive."

Snape nodded, but didn't answer, glancing sideways at the door. "Sufficiently practised Occlumency should allow you to block out pain, much like you did with your visions. You should be careful however - self-inflicted mental wounds are practically undetectable and take a long time to heal. Blocking your own pain for extended periods would be an effective way to rip you mind to shreds."

Harry nodded gravely, staring at Snape, who was seated behind his desk and rifling through a small stack of notes on what appeared to be pyromancy. "Any progress?"

"You may not realize it, Potter, but I've other duties than to obsess over your summer adventures." Snape growled. "Besides that, most of my research is now pointless."

Harry didn't respond, and Snape sniffed. Finally, Snape spoke up again, seemingly calm. "What did you say to Draco Malfoy?"

Harry blinked at the sudden change of topic, and swallowed. "What do you mean, what did I tell Malfoy? I don't make a habit of talking to him if I don't have to."

"You clearly told him something - he came to visit me. Told me you convinced him that I could help him. Surprisingly insightful of you. I'd figured you were far too caught up in your childish whims to consider other people." Snape leaned back, clasping his hands together on his desk.

Harry didn't answer, thinking back to his last meeting with Malfoy. Really, he'd barely said a word or two. In fact, he didn't remember saying anything to him at all for weeks. Weird. Perhaps Malfoy had merely used his name because it was rather obvious on which side of the conflict he was?

"Suffice to say, the problem is under control." Snape said, sneering.

Harry decided he really needed to have a talk with Malfoy. "Don't we have more important things to talk about?"

"Hold your tongue, Potter." Snape sneered, as he glanced towards the door. "Your Occlumency is still abominable, concentrate on that. You will not speak for the next hour."

"Yes, sir" Harry answered meekly, as he walked to the centre of the room, preparing for yet another painful session in which Snape tried to invade his mind. Thankfully it had been some time since Snape had managed to glimpse more than a few memories.

Ron waited for Harry outside the door as he finally stumbled out of Snape's domain and trudged back to Gryffindor tower. The castle itself was rather remarkably silent at this time of night, bar a few stray students here and there. Curfew was coming up.

"I still can't believe you willingly go to that creep." Ron muttered softly, frowning. "You can barely stand upright, that can't be healthy."

"Don't worry about it, Ron." Harry responded, sighing. "He didn't really say anything particularly nasty, though, so don't worry about it. He barely had a word to spare about the Ministry either."

"You asked him?" Ron inquired, mystified. "You're braver than I am, mate."

"I doubt that." Harry said grinning. "Remember the chess game in first year? I don't know if I could've done that. Sacrificing yourself..."

They chatted amiably all the way, Ron detailing a particularly amusing incident that had happened at Headquarters over summer, while Harry bounced his ideas off Ron. Hermione didn't seem surprised to see them arrive mere minutes before curfew.

"You should be more careful about the time!" She chided, as the two walked in. "None of us are prefects, we can't be in the halls after curfew."

"Don't worry about it, 'Mione" Ron said, earning himself a slap.

"Don't call me that, Ronald." She said imperiously. "Harry, how was Occlumency?"

"Bearable," Harry responded, shrugging. "Honestly after Moody's help over summer it's going a lot better. It's great that I have some idea of what I should be doing. It's not like the git would ever go into the theory."

"Where's Ginny?" Ron asked, plopping down in one of the soft common room chairs.

"She's up in the dormitories, I think." Hermione said. "She went to speak to Luna earlier, and she returned less than half an hour ago."

"Luna and Ginny?" Harry mused. "Didn't think they spent too much time together. Maybe she's trying to get to know her, given that she's sort of part of the group."

"She did say she was sort of sorry she barely knew her, when you considered her one of you closest friends," Hermione responded, nodding. "I mean, she sees us Gryffindors all the time."

"I barely know her either," Ron said, shrugging. "Always thought she's a bit loopy. Which she is, honestly. She's nice, if a little creepy."

"I know what you mean," Harry responded, as he trudged towards the stairs. "I'm going to think for a bit on this whole Ministry thing. Maybe talk to Remus a bit."

It didn't take Harry long to fetch the small square mirror from his trunk. It had been a gift from Sirius, and Harry had smashed it quite well at the end of last year. Remus had noticed it and fixed it at the end of the summer, and Sirius' from Mundungus Fletcher, who had 'recovered' it from Headquarters.

"Remus Lupin." Harry said clearly. The mirror wasn't completely intact - a few chips were missing - but the Protean enchantment was quite intact. After a few moments, a haggard face appeared in the mirror.

"Harry!" Remus said, smiling broadly. "I tried contacting you earlier, but I guess you were out."

"Snape." Harry said, shrugging.

"I'm sorry." Remus responded with a smile. "I wanted to contact you about this afternoon - there was a small attack, and a few Order members were wounded. None that you're familiar with, I believe. Moody sends his regards. He said to tell you that your relatives' books on muggle technology turned out to be useful."

"Good to know," Harry answered with a small smile.

"So, what can I do for you today?" Remus said seriously.

"I need your advice, Remus," Harry responded, frowning. "I'm not sure if Dumbledore mentioned anything yet, but I got a rather interesting invitation."

"Ah, yes. The Ministry," Remus responded tightly. "I don't trust Scrimgeour - him inviting you to work for the Ministry seems like a publicity stunt."

"You'd think he'd invite me for the Aurors, though," Harry said with a frown. "He knows quite well that's what my preference is, considering the OWLs."

Remus looked out of the mirror oddly, then shook his head. "Actually, I sort of thought you were invited to the Aurors."

"It's an invite to the Department of Mysteries," Harry admitted. "I'm sure Dumbledore didn't want that to be known to every one just yet, given that I might decline."

Remus looked stunned. "Scrimgeour invited you to the Unspeakables? That seems like an awful lot of risk on his part just for some publicity. You being there might well force that Department to actively oppose Voldemort. I didn't think he'd dare such a thing..."

"So is it a good thing or a bad thing?" Harry asked, confused. "It seems genuine enough."

"It would be rather a good thing for the fight against Voldemort,"Remus answered. "Some of the best wizards and witches in the country are Unspeakables - of course, their identities tend to be concealed. If they were forced to counteract Voldemort, we'd have a powerful new ally. The problem is, I believe, that this would be rather politically detrimental for the Minister."

"How?" Harry wondered. "I hardly think that the Ministry opposing Voldemort is a bad thing."

"It's political, Harry," Remus said with a grimace. "Basically, the Department of Mysteries tends to stay out of conflicts like these, because they're more autonomous than most Departments. The Minister doesn't have nearly as much control. The Ministry of course prefers to downplay this - but the realization that a significant portion of the Ministry's more or less a separate government tends to play out very badly for the Minister in power."

"They'd think he was weak and incapable of controlling his own employees," Harry concluded. "Unspeakables would get involved in everything, and the Ministry wouldn't have any way to forbid it."

Remus nodded. "Which make this invitation quite unique - either the Minister is convinced he can contain the potential damage you could do to the neutral stance of the Unspeakables, or he's some other plan that we don't have any knowledge of."

"Neither of those are comforting," Harry responded, stretching himself out on his bed and holding the mirror close. "How likely is that the Unspeakables themselves are pressuring the Minister into inviting me? Croaker seemed to be quite happy about the invitation, and he implied that the Minister doesn't have too much reach in the Department of Mysteries. What about the other way around?"

Remus considered it for a moment, then shrugged. "I don't know enough about them to know what the Unspeakables could want with you, if that were the case."

"There is the Seer thing," Harry said, thinking aloud. "It was the first thing Croaker mentioned."

"What 'Seer thing' ?" Remus inquired - Harry sat up straight at that.

"Dumbledore really didn't say much, did he? Huh. What I was talking about is the fact that the Department of Mysteries believes I'm a Seer."

Remus stared, perplexed. "You, a Seer? Where would you have inherited it from? The Potters certainly didn't have any potential for premonition."

Harry grimaced, thinking back on the visions. "It's some kind of weird touchy-feely kind of Seeing, too. You remember about this summer's painful visions from Voldemort - well, turns out they're not actually from Voldemort - they're from me. I've been having premonitions of what might well turn out to be my own death." Until he said it, Harry hadn't really concluded that much, but he found he couldn't disagree. Perhaps the odd feeling of detachment was his own death?

Remus gasped, horrified. "That horrible feeling of fire? A prediction?"

"Snape's been helping me with Occlumency, and I can block out the visions now. He reckons I could use the same technique to beat the feeling should it happen in reality. It would give me a fighting chance, at least."

Remus, looking quite sick, swallowed deeply before he continued, "You believe that this... Seeing of yours is what got the Ministry interested?"

"They had a prophecy sphere of it," Harry admitted, "So I suppose that's how they found out. Before Dumbledore or Snape figured it out, even."

Remus was silent for a long time, finally starting again, "As long as you don't turn into Trelawney." He said with a boyish smirk.

"You people are impossible!" Harry cried, groaning. "Any more advice on this Ministry business?"

"I trust Professor Dumbledore to keep an eye out for any traps there might be," Remus finally said, decisively. "I will go with whatever he advises you to do."

"Thanks, Remus. Hope to speak to you about all this again, soon."

Remus vanished from the mirror and Harry put it back in his trunk, wondering where everyone else was. As soon as he walked over to the door it opened, admitting Ron and Neville.

"Figured you'd like a little alone time," Ron said, nodding at Harry's trunk. "Did Remus have anything interesting to say."

"Nothing particularly exciting." Harry said, shrugging. "There was a meeting this afternoon and a small-scale attack. Few people hurt, but not seriously. None of your family were involved, I think."

Ron nodded sadly. "It's been going on all summer. Wish these attacks actually achieved something - every time maybe one or two are picked off, but there's double that amount of newcomers every time. Charlie and Bill spent ages talking about it in Headquarters."

"Don't worry," Neville said from his bed. "The Order can handle it. Even if they can't - there's still us."

"Where did the shy Neville Longbottom of first year go?" Harry wondered aloud, smiling. "Don't ever claim the Hat sorted you wrongly again."


Harry spent the next day thinking about the invitation - Professor McGonagall docked him twenty points for repeatedly ignoring questions, as he daydreamed about walking between those huge shelves filled to the top with small glass spheres.

That was nothing compared to what happened in Charms though - Still repeating exercises from the first few years of schooling in a refresher course, Flitwick was quite appalled to notice that Harry didn't even manage to float his feather with a simple Wingardium Leviosa.

"Is something the matter with your wand, Mr. Potter?" The diminutive professor inquired, curiously. "This is perhaps the simplest of charms we use here.

"I can't concentrate, Professor. Things on my mind, " Harry admitted, staring at the feather on his desk balefully. His hands were sweaty and his wand might as well have been a dead stick without focus.

"I can do this," He whispered, thinking back to his discussion with Dumbledore. The Headmaster was convinced Harry was powerful, but he hardly noticed it now.

On a whim, Harry tucked his wand back in his pocket. Might as well test it now - he was about as unfocused as he was going to get - ideal.

'Float.' Harry thought furiously, waving his hand in the direction of his feather, while Professor Flitwick was looking on curiously. The feather lifted off the desk with a start, fluttering upwards. Then the desk joined it. And Professor Flitwick.

"Oh, very good, Mr. Potter!" The Professor enthused, seemingly completely unfazed by his sudden weightlessness. Hermione was gaping as Harry carefully lowered the Professor and table back down, leaving the feather to twitch in mid-air. "A silent wandless levitation charm - quite extraordinary. Why, it must've been years since -"

"Wicked, Harry," Ron said from besides him, grinning. "You really should teach me that at some point."

Harry hadn't thought about showing off his wandless magic, feebly controllable as it was, and shrank uncomfortably under numerous awed stares or disbelieving sneers. The Slytherins, particularly, seemed to think they needed to show their contempt.

The rest of the day hadn't been much more pleasant - plenty of incredulous stares from people who hadn't been in the class and were hearing the increasingly exaggerated tales of his wandless magic. At one point he could've sworn someone claimed he'd levitated the entire room and all the students simultaneously.

It wasn't until late in the afternoon that he ran into Malfoy in one of the more deserted corridors of the school. Surprisingly, he was alone. "Potter. Hold up a moment."

"Go away, Malfoy," Harry growled, starting to walk away. Malfoy stopped him in his tracks by cutting him off.

"Wait, Potter. I just need to tell you - well - thanks." Malfoy seemed almost apologetic about something, though he couldn't hide his dislike of Harry. He looked positively mild-mannered today, even.

"I heard you approached Snape." Harry provided measuredly, wondering if he were just digging himself a deeper grave.

Malfoy nodded, looking sideways worriedly. "Look, because you helped me, I promise I won't blab about whatever I hear from Snape about you, all right?" Malfoy didn't seem to be able to stand still, and had his wand out, his fingers clasped around it tightly.

"What you've heard from Snape?" Harry said suspiciously. "Why would you know that?"

Malfoy shuffled his feet, looking embarrassed. "It's... complicated. I've been keeping an eye on Professor Snape, originally because I was instructed to. "

"You're eavesdropping." Harry said wonderingly. "You've been listening in on my lessons with Snape!"

"Yes." Malfoy hissed, glancing around the empty hallway with a panicked stare. "Snape knows, now, though. He's just not figured out how I do it yet."

"You listened in, yesterday. That's what this is about." Harry concluded.

Malfoy nodded, cringing slightly. It was particularly strange seeing it on the regularly confident and proud Slytherin. "Potter... I wanted to ask you if you could do a good word for me, at the Ministry."

Harry blinked, surprised. "I don't exactly have much popularity at the Ministry myself, Malfoy."

Malfoy scoffed at that. "Don't be ridiculous, Potter, you're the Boy-Who-Lived. If you used even a fraction of your popularity you could probably get almost anyone fired that you don't like. Even Father can do that - well, he could, I suppose."

"Why would you have me, of all people, contact the Ministry about your family? Don't you think your father would be rather opposed to this?"

"You've got influence with the Ministry and Dumbledore, Potter. Think." Malfoy said furiously. "I want you to arrange my safety. You know I'm neither a Death Eater nor aspiring to be one."

"You're asking quite a bit of me, Malfoy. We don't even like each other." Harry said cautiously, his mind reeling. Malfoy was coming to him for a path away from Voldemort?

"I don't care if you hate me, Potter. I'm asking for your help. You're a bloody Gryffindor, and Dumbledore's all over the forgiveness business. You know as well as I do that you won't just let the Dark Lord kill me."

"Fine," Harry finally said. "I'll see what I can do."

Malfoy turned to walk away. "Potter... Thank you. Give my regards to Miss Burbidge at the Department of Mysteries. She told me about your invitation."

Harry stared after Malfoy as the latter stalked down the corridor, headed for the dungeons.

"I think I will." Harry mumbled, finally.


"Come in, Harry," Dumbledore said gravely. Harry let himself in and found Professor Dumbledore staring out of the windows of his tower, Fawkes perched on his shoulder like a pirate's parrot.

"Good evening, Professor," Harry said nervously, walking over. Several little devices started whirring softly, rattling on their table.

"Likewise," Dumbledore said congenially, turning around. "I hear you've been quite busy, these last few days. You seem to have been quite thorough."

"I think so," Harry said, blushing. "I figured that I should get a good number of opinions."

"Admirable, of course." Dumbledore said, "I myself have not been sitting still - I have spent several hours time with the new Minister, discussing the continuous attacks by Voldemort. I may have brought up your invitation."

Harry smirked, "What did he say?"

"It seems, Mr. Potter, that the Minister has chosen to accommodate your requests, as relayed by yours truly." Dumbledore smiled widely.

"What did he agree on, then?"

"I have made certain that you will have the free choice to leave the Unspeakables at any time, and that you will not be stopped. That is - if I am correct in assuming you intend to accept the offer." Dumbledore turned, smiling lightly. "I am afraid I assumed you would think similarly about the opportunity as I do. Perhaps make the choice I rejected."

Harry gasped, stumbling. "They asked you, too?"

"Oh, yes." Dumbledore said, nodding. "It's a very long time ago now - around the year 1900, I was approached by Unspeakables to join a new research group, focused on arithmancy and astronomy. For personal reasons I could not, at that time, accept the position, though I must admit I was tempted. I ultimately returned to Hogwarts to take up a position as teacher. As you may notice, I remain here to this day."

"Was it all this secretive, too?" Harry wondered, sinking into a chair. "I've been having conversations with everyone and their grandmother lately, and nobody knows much than little scraps. In fact, most of what is known is positively ancient."

"The heightened secrecy of the Department of Mysteries is a relatively recent development," Dumbledore lectured, "It is believed by most that the threat of the Dark Lord Grindelwald was a turning point, as that dark wizard broke into the German Ministry of Magic and succeeded in taking possession of a great many rare artefacts stored in the vaults. At the time the various different Ministries were much more closely allied than today, and as such many internationally valued items were taken and ultimately lost. In the wake of that event, international tensions grew, and security was increased. With the rise of the second Dark Lord in a century - Voldemort - the modern obliviation rules and secrecy arrangements were instated. At the time, the international treaties that had existed were already mere spectres. Today, the neutrality of the Departments of Mysteries of the various governments - or their equivalent - is assumed absolute, though it's never been seriously threatened."

"Basically, they're hiding themselves away so that Voldemort won't come and take all their stuff." Harry summarized. "I suppose it's understandable, though I don't understand why they need to keep secrets this tightly. Something's always bound to slip through."

"Indeed, Harry," Dumbledore agreed, "It is like trying to clutch water in one's hands. The harder we
grip, the more it slips through our fingers. If Lord Voldemort gains in power, the Unspeakables must respond."

"That's a reason they want me," Harry realized. "I'm a public figure - if they need to take a stance, they've got one person they definitely know will oppose Voldemort - they'd be able to dismiss much of the suspicion."

"You have become quite insightful, my boy," Dumbledore said, petting Fawkes silently. "That seems, indeed, a likely scenario. It must mean that the Ministry's becoming nervous, at last."

"I suppose coupled with the Seeing and the positive press for the Minister, they just couldn't resist trying to get me on the team."

Fawkes crooned softly, and Harry felt a shiver run down his spine. It remained the most extraordinary sound he'd ever heard, phoenix song. As if reading his thought, Fawkes whistled a short tune, hopeful in tone. "Harry, how are your lessons with Professor Snape progressing?" The Headmaster suddenly asked, squinting.

"It's been going... well," Harry allowed. "We don't like each other much, but it's not like last year. We have short conversations, sometimes. He's even thanked me for something. I haven't called him names - not to his face, at least. He can only break into a few surface thoughts now, and I can block out the fire visions entirely, if I want. We're getting somewhere."

Dumbledore hummed happily, smiling. "I suppose I could ask no more of you - but I appreciate the extent to which you can tolerate each other. Severus tells me you've been in contact with other people you've many reasons to dislike."

"Malfoy." Harry muttered, thinking back on Snape's ambiguous comments before Occlumency training. "I need to speak to you about that. He approached me, earlier."

"You voluntarily listened what Draco Malfoy had to say, despite your considerable - and understandable - dislike of him and his father? I do believe that I must agree with Severus : you are not, in fact, completely addled."

Harry rolled his eyes, but continued. "He asked me to see if I could arrange anything with you and the Ministry for him and his mother. He wishes safety from Lord Voldemort."

"I am aware of this, Harry," Dumbledore said, nodding. "Professor Snape notified me of a most enlightening conversation he had with Mr. Malfoy. Apparently he only shared a few brief words with you, but they scared him out of a perpetual cycle of degeneration that would've undoubtedly ended in most terrible consequences."

"He would've become a Death Eater." Harry said, nodding. Whatever this talk had been, it had clearly weighed on Malfoy's mind far more than on his own. Had he not noticed the Slytherin's plight at all, but merely answered as he felt was right, as if the conversation was a normal one? He couldn't remember. Harry suddenly chilled, considering that Malfoy might have obliviated the conversation from his mind - though that seemed silly, as Malfoy had spoken about it quite openly. Had someone else obliviated it? Why then not remove the memory from Malfoy as well?

"You turned him from that path, and he contacted Professor Snape as per your advice. Severus seemed as surprised as I was that you'd even consider that course of action."

"Tell me about it," Harry muttered, "I don't hate Professor Snape, Headmaster. I just really, really dislike him. There's only one person I could be said to hate."

Dumbledore nodded solemnly, doubtlessly thinking of those same cold red eyes. Minutes ticked by as the old Headmaster continued to study the grounds, while Harry tried to puzzle out what he'd forgotten about Malfoy. Finally, Dumbledore broke the silence.

"Am I correct in assuming you have made your decision?"

"Yes, Professor." Harry answered shortly. "You already knew that, though. I suspect you've already arranged for the Unbreakable Vows you were asked to take."

"Is that a yes, Harry?" Dumbledore asked with a ghostly smile.

"Yes, Professor. I suppose you are looking at the future Unspeakable Potter." Harry bowed with a flourish, and he intoned with a mocking gesture "Mystery is at the heart of creativity. That, and surprise. At least, that's what the books say. Better test out what the Ministry's got to offer, don't you think?"


Author's Note : Credit for a few lines here go to :
Quote from Alan Watts
Quote from Julia Cameron

This should be the last of the talky talky chapters for a while - this was essentially an opportunity for Harry to interrogate his friends on their opinions and their thoughts on the consequences, as well as a little more information on the various parties involved. Don't discount seemingly minor details in the early chapters here, as quite a few things will be recurring both sooner and later in the story. For those who think they've solved certain plotpoints, feel free to PM me, and I'll tell you if you're in the ballpark.

I respond to every decently sized review, by the way, so feel free to remark scathingly on my terrible writing or otherwise. I am searching for a betareader, but thus far none of those I've messaged have turned out to be terribly responsive.

The next chapter - which takes place almost exclusively at the Ministry of Magic, London - will be out soon. Several characters previously mentioned will be introduced to Harry therein. Also, more Moody!
Sign up to rate and review this story