Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Go Ahead and Burn it Down.

Where the Road Crashed into the Ocean

by XxLiveyourlifExX 1 review

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2011-06-21 - Updated: 2011-06-22 - 3047 words - Complete

0Unrated
Where The Road Crashed into the Ocean

She landed. Well sort of. The board caught an edge and Chris went flying. The board ripped of her feel twisting her ankle. The handle flew up and hit her in the face. Chris vaguely remembered tasting blood before she realized she should put her arms out to brace herself for the incoming impact with the water at eighteen miles per hour.

Chris was dazed when her life jacket bobbed her up to the surface. Then she felt the gentle waves as the boat pulled up alongside her.

“Are you ok?!” Sara exclaimed from the boat.

“A Mobius, are you crazy?” Becca asked, then jumped in and swam to her. “That landing looked
rough. What hurts?”

“Ankle. Face?”

“Ya you’re bleeding. Anything else. Not your neck?”

Her left wrist hurt. Like broken hurt, but if she was broken they’d have to put the boat in and it would ruin everyone’s fun. She’d be fine. “My neck’s fine. I think my ankle’s sprained though. I’m gonna need help getting on the boat.”

“I don’t think we’ll have a problem getting someone to pick you up,” she said as she threw a significant look at Pete who was standing on the platform looking supremely worried.

“I’m fine,” she called out as Becca made her look from side to side and up and down to make sure her neck was ok.

“Alright, let’s get you back on the boat.” Becca towed Chris back to the boat by the back of her life jacket. “Who wants to help lift?”

Pete crouched down and held her under the arms.

“Ok, Chris, which ankle hurts?” Becca asked.

“Right.”

“Keep that leg straight. Alright, Pete, on the count of three. One, two, three.”

He lifted, and Becca pushed from below. In seconds, Chris was sitting on the platform.

“Come on, kid,” Pete said scooping her up.

Chris went to put her arms around his neck and tried to grab onto her other wrist to steady
herself. Mistake. She had grabbed her left wrist. “Ouch!”

“You ok?” Pete asked worriedly.

“Ya. Fine.”

“Where should I put her?” Pete asked Becca.

“On the seats in the front of the boat,” she said, still in the water. She stroked out to the
place were the wakeboard was floating and then towed it back in. She climbed back on the boat. To Carl, she said, “Why don’t you take us to the cliffs?”

Carl nodded and they were off. Becca went to the front of the boat where everyone was crowded around Chris. “Alright all you people, shoo. Let me talk to the girl.”

They all left except Pete who Chris was leaning against.

“You too, Pete. She’ll be fine.”

He looked reluctantly at Chris who said, “I’m fine. Becca must have a juicy secret. It’ll just
be for a few minutes. Right?”

“Promise,” Becca said.

“Oh alright.” He kissed the top of her head then shifted her so she was sitting up on her own and he left.

Becca was examining Chris’ ankle when the boat arrived at the lagoon with the cliffs. Sara succeeded in getting everyone in the water either swimming or cliff jumping.

“Point your toes,” Becca said and watched as Chris’ left foot pointed almost all the way down
and her right would only make it halfway before she was wincing. “That bad huh?”

“Ya.”

“It’s swelling up pretty good,” Becca said. She felt around Chris’ ankle. When Chris gasped, Becca said, “Well it isn’t broken, but I’d say it’s sprained pretty good. Now let me see the wrist you’ve been hiding.”

“No,” Chris said, her words muffled by the paper towel she was holding to the spot on her cheek
where the handle had hit her trying to stop the bleeding.

“Let me see,” Becca said stubbornly holding out her hand. Reluctantly, Chris took her left arm out of the space between her body and the back of the seat and gave it to her. “Chris,” she said drawing out the s, “it’s purple. Scale of one to ten, how bad does it hurt?”

“Two, tops.”

Becca looked at her skeptically, “Wiggle your fingers then, missy.”

When Chris tried and failed, Becca pressed against the side of her wrist. “Ok! Alright! Eight! Eight!”

“You have to go to the hospital. This is broken.”

“No. We just got out here. I don’t want to ruin anyone’s fun.”

“What if you just ruin my fun? We’ll have Carl take us back to the house and I’ll drive you to
the emergency road.”

“I’m not gonna be able to make it up the stairs. And you can’t carry me.”

“I could. But if it makes you feel better, we’ll ask on of the boys to go. Maybe that boyfriend of yours? He’s sitting on the cliff as we speak staring at you with worry.”

“I really don’t want to ruin anyone’s day.”

“Seriously, Chris? You’re gonna make me do this?”

“I’m not going. I’ll be fine.”

“Pete!” Becca hollered. “Can you come here please? Sara too?”

They jumped off the cliff one after the other and swam to the boat. They climbed on and came to the front of the boat.

“Is everything ok?” Sara asked.

“No,” Becca said. “Chris’ wrist is broken.”

“I’m fine.”

“No you’re not. You need to go to the hospital,” Becca argued.

“Ya, you do,” Sara added.

“So I’m gonna have Carl take me and Chris home, and Pete we could use your help. The rest of you
can stay and Carl can come back and take you out the rest of the day.”

“I’m not going,” Chris said again. She was starting to get upset. “No one has to take me
anywhere.”

“Christina.” Pete’s voice was thick with worry. “You’re going to the hospital.”

She looked up at him, tears in her eyes and after a few more moments nodded.

“Good,” Becca said and went to tell Carl the plan.

Sara leaned down and kissed Chris on the cheek. “Good luck, Tina. Love you.”

“Love you too,” Chris managed.

Sara jumped off the boat and went to go explain to the rest. “Sit up, babe.”

Chris did and Pete slid into the seat next to her as the boat pulled away from the cliffs. Becca came to sit across from them. She tried to make small talk, but Chris wasn’t talking. Soon they came to the lagoon at the house.

“Let’s float her in on the tube?” Becca asked Pete. Once the tube was tied to the boat so Carl could pull it back in, they set Chris on top of it along with their towels and clothes and swam the tube back into shore. After drying off a bit, Pete picked up Chris, who buried her head in his chest, and carried her up the hill following Becca. In the house, Becca paused only to grab some water, a pillow off the couch, and the keys to the SUV parked in the driveway. They settled Chris, who still hadn’t spoken since Sara left the boat, in the backseat with the pillow, and they were off. They pulled into the emergency room parking lot fifteen minutes later.

“Ready?” Becca asked looking in the rearview mirror. “Baby, does it hurt that bad?”

Pete turned and saw Chris’ tear streaked face. He reached out his hand to her, “What’s wrong?”

She couldn’t say anything, but Pete knew the look in her eye. He got out of the car and got back in sitting next to her and wrapping her in his arms. “I know it’s scary,” Pete said. “But this time isn’t like last time. You’re wrist is broken. Maybe you have a sprained ankle and they’ll do something about the cut on your face. It isn’t last time.”

Chris was crying harder while Pete was talking, but she nodded. Pete opened the door again and picked her up. Becca walked with them through the doors.

“What’s the problem?” Someone with a hospital ID badge asked.

“She took a spill wakeboarding. I’m pretty sure her left wrist is broken and her right ankle is sprained. She also got hit in the face with the handle,” Becca answered.

“How is you’re pain?” The woman asked Chris.

Chris couldn’t answer, so Becca did. “Her name is Chris, Christina Henry. And she told me on the boat her wrist is an eight.”

“Alright, Chris, luckily we’re slow today, so if you friend here will follow me we’ll get you into a bed. And you, sweetheart,” she said to Becca, “Can you be a dear and ask the receptionist for emergency paperwork and have her direct you to room E-6. That’s where we’ll be.”

Becca nodded and went to the reception desk. Pete followed the woman to an empty room. After Chris was settled in bed, the woman beckoned Pete outside. “I’m Dr. Trennor. Obviously, there’s something else going on here other than a wakeboarding accident. Can you-or both of you-give me a little insight here, please?”

“I’m not sure,” Becca started. “We pulled her out of the water and she was fine. She was
talking, but as soon as I mention the hospital she got upset. She didn’t want to come and she
got really defensive, then when we decided to take her whether or not she wanted to, she just clamed up. And by the time we got here she was crying in the backseat…”

“Think about it Becca,” Pete said a tad impatient. “Why would Chris have been in the emergency
room the last time?”

“Oh,” Becca said, looking abashed. “Matt.”

“Ya. Matt.”

“I’m sorry,” Dr. Trennor said, “Who’s Matt?”

“It’s her older brother,” Pete said. “Five years ago he was brought into the ER with a severe migraine and was diagnosed with brain cancer. We lost him three years ago. The only reason Chris has been in a hospital since I broke her arm in the ninth grade is for Matt. Most specifically when Matt died.”

“I see. So the pain is psychological?”

“I would guess,” Becca said.

“Well she needs an x-ray of both her ankle and wrist. And I think she needs an MRI. I just want to check her spine. It’s very routine for incidents like this.” After a moment, “Ok. I’ll take that.” Dr. Trennor reached out for the clipboard with the forms on it that Becca had been filling out while Pete explained. “I’ll go get her chart and I’ll be right back. You might want to go and try to calm her down.”

Pete and Becca went into the room. Becca took her hand and Pete kissed her head. Chris had seemed to have calmed down a little bit. She managed to ask, “What are they gonna do?”

“X-rays and-“

Pete cut Becca off. “The doctor is gonna come back and explain.”

Becca shot him a questioning look and said, “There’s also gonna be a MRI.”

Chris looked at her and then Pete with fear in her eyes. Then to Pete she said, “No. They can’t. I won’t.”

She was crying again. Pete shot Becca another look before sitting down on the bed next to Chris
and turned her face towards him. “The doctor said it’s routine. It’s gonna be a picture of your spine.”

“I can’t. They’ll find something.” Tears were rolling down her face.

“No. No they won’t,” Pete said firmly. “This isn’t last time.” She nodded. “But you have to do the test, ok? Just in case you landed funny or something. Alright?”

“Alright,” she mumbled.

“That’s my girl.” He wiped her tears and kissed her on the forehead.

Dr. Trennor walked into the room. “Hello, Chris. I didn’t get to introduce myself to you earlier. I’m Dr. Trennor. In a few minutes I’m going to take you up to radiology. We’re going to take an x-ray and do an MRI. I understand from what your friends have told me that this is particularly frightening for you. So, I’m suggesting we give you a mild sedative to make the whole process less traumatic. Does that sound good?”

Chris looked at both Becca and Pete then nodded to the doctor.

“Alright. A nurse will be in in a second to administer the dose so you fall asleep here with your friends.” With that Dr. Trennor left the room.

“Peter,” Chris whispered. “I’m scared.”

“I know. But we’ll be here the whole time. Everything’s gonna be fine. I promise.”

She nodded again and the nurse walked in. She put an IV in Chris’ arm then used a syringe to give her the drug. Pete and Becca watched as Chris’ eyes blinked, slower and slower, until they fluttered closed and she was asleep.

“Alright, we’re going to take her now. If you go sit in the waiting room, someone will come talk to you when we’re done,” the nurse said.

Becca squeezed Chris’ good hand and Pete kissed her forehead again and then they left the room together. “Why would you tell her about the MRI?” Pete asked. “Why didn’t you wait for the
doctor?”

“I didn’t know she would be that upset,” Becca said, tears in the corners of her eyes.

“You didn’t know? Matt was diagnosed from a routine MRI scan. Of course, that would freak her out.”

“I didn’t know that.” Becca’s tears were flowing now. “You forget, Sara and I don’t know anything about Matt other than he had brain cancer and died. She NEVER talked about him. So I’m sorry I upset her.” Becca’s voice was angrier when she ended, her arms crossed and she sat
huffily in a chair.

Pete ran his fingers through his hair looking down at his feet. “I’m sorry Becca.” He sat down next to her. “You’re right, I forgot.”

“It’s ok.” She looked up at him. “You must be scared too. That’s Chris in there. Plus everything else.”

He nodded. Becca grabbed his hand and they sat there waiting.

An hour and a half later, Dr. Trennor appeared in front of them. “Chris is all done. Her ankle is sprained, but not too badly. I’m recommending a walking boot. Her wrist is broken in a couple of places, but the swelling went down, so we went ahead and cast it. We picked Kelley green because of her bathing suit,” she said smiling. “And the MRI was clean. No spinal damage, no whiplash and no concussion. She’s still asleep, but that’s just because of the sedative. She should wake in a couple of hours, but you can take her home before that if you want.”

“We’d like to take her home. Hospitals really freak her out,” Becca explained.

“Alright,” she beckoned an orderly and asked for discharge papers. “Like I said, Chris should wake up before five. If she won’t wake, bring her back. She can’t get the hard cast wet, obviously, but she only needs to wear the walking boot when she, well, when she walks. The hard cast will come off in four to six weeks.”

“Does she need to come here to have it removed?” Becca asked.

“No, any hospital can do it.”

“And what about the boat? Can she still ride with us?”

“If you can figure out a way to get her on board without getting the cast wet, absolutely, but no more wakeboarding. Also I’m writing a prescription for some pain medication. If she needs more, call me here.” She wrote something on the forms on the clipboard and signed it. “If, Becca is it? If Becca will sign here, we can get you out of here.”

Becca obliged and soon another orderly pushed a sleeping Chris out in a wheelchair. Since she was sleeping, he pushed her all the way to the car. Pete and Becca thanked him and Pete picked Chris up. He sat in the back with her in case she woke up on the way home. Soon they were home and Pete carried upstairs to her room. Becca followed him up with water, Chris’ pain meds and her walking boot. Pete got into bed with Chris and held her. Becca went back downstairs. From the sounds of things she was cleaning. Pete turned the television on. CSI. Again. He smiled and kissed Chris’ temple. Around three thirty, Pete heard the others come in and ask about Chris. He heard the muffled sounds of Becca explaining. One by one they came up to see her, but she was still asleep. Pete was dozing around four fifteen when a voice woke him.

“Peter? Am I ok?”

He smiled down at her. “Yes, you’re fine. Well, not really. You’re wrist is broken and your ankle’s sprained and your face is a bit swollen. But other than that, you’re fine.”

“Just like you promised.”

He laughed. “Just like I promised. How’s your pain? The doctor gave us some pills.”

“I’m fine. I don’t want to take those.”

“Ok. Everyone’s been up to see you. Do you want to go downstairs?”

“In a couple of minutes. I’m still kind of sleepy.” She nestled into him.

“Ok.” He held her tighter tears in his eyes. He must have sniffed a little too loudly.

“What’s wrong?” She asked looking up at him.

“Nothing.”

“Liar.”

“Today was scary is all.”

“I know what you mean.” She leaned up and kissed him. “But it’s better now, right?”

“Right,” he smiled and kissed her back. Her head went back to his chest and her eyes closed.

A/N: Jess, you're a psychic. Congrats you win =) Hope y'all like it!
Sign up to rate and review this story