Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Ballad of Mona Lisa

Give Me a Sign

by GAClive 3 reviews

She gently touched his cheek in sorrow. He was now truly dead...

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Warnings: [!!!] [V] - Published: 2011-06-23 - Updated: 2012-04-30 - 1074 words - Complete

3Exciting
"Careful now..." The ghost was leaning close to her ear as he watched her move the pen across the paper. It was strange knowing someone was so close yet you could not feel his breath, Blanche mused. She made one more verbally guided line with her pen and then looked up at the ghost expectantly. He regarded the paper stoically and nodded once, "Perfect."

She smiled in satisfaction as she folded the paper and left Crackitus' study. She could already hear others move about the house in preparation for the wake. She would have to be quick lest she was noticed.

-

She stood in the back of the room watching everyone mourn the young man. Strange how one could pretend to care for someone that you never met. She spied Crackitus as he walked up to her.

"Have you seen Harold around?" He asked her. She frowned as she realized that she had not seen him since before yesterday. Apparently no one had. The mayor simply seemed to have vanished from the town along with Phil Krat whom no one had seen since he left the saloon late two nights ago. Crackitus excused himself and Blanche looked up in concern at Brennan. He shrugged and said, "Last I saw him was in bed with Mary." She shrugged as well, little love was waisted and she couldn't care less about him now that he had betrayed her.

Everyone else expected was present and the mourning had officially begun. Blanche figured that now would be as good a time as ever to finally bring the plan to fruition. She tapped her nose and Brennan nodded in recognition of the sign and left her side. She watched in awe as he moved through the crowded room; how could so many be so oblivious to his presence?

He glided past his aunt and uncle, past the beautiful figure of Mary, all the way to the back of the room where the children had gathered to quietly play games with each other. She watched as he bent down and caught the attention of the young girl from the park. She nodded as she listened to him and followed him back through the crowd to the front of the dim parlor.

This was the moment of truth. It was customary to leave a blank note on the body of the dead, an old superstition with the purpose of giving a soul one final chance to leave a message. No one believed in this superstition, as no one had seen it work.

She bit her lip anxiously as the girl came near to the body. Other guests had started to notice her actions too and soon the whole room had turned to observe. The girl cautiously reached her hand out to the leather wallet on the body and reached in. No one moved to stop her, they all knew it was a pointless task and that nothing was on the paper, best to let the child satisfy her curiosity.

With little more than bored curiosity they watched as she unfolded the paper, some had even turned back to their conversations. JR frowned when he saw the girl's eyes grow wide at what she saw on the paper. "Show us what you got," he called out causing the rest of the room to look back.

At first the girl looked startled at all the attention, but she obediently held up the paper for the rest of the room to see. A collective gasp resounded from every dusty corner as Crackitus cried out, "It's his hand writing!"

The paper simply read: Mary did it.

Shock soon turned to anger as the room turned to face the convicted vampire. Superstition may be superstition, but these were dark times and tradition usually won over logic. They turned like wolves to the prey.

Mary looked about her in mock innocence but knew that she was caught. With a sneer and a shriek she ran towards the door. "Quick Crackitus! The HUG!" She heard behind her before something entangled itself around her body and dragged her to the ground. In frustration she struggled with the bonds as the crowd closed in around her. She paused as one man stood out and approached her, a leather and metal collar was on his neck and a wooden stake was in his hand.

Sir Conrad felt no remorse as he drove the wood into the heart of the monster before him. Crackitus had called him in the day before with worries that a vampire might be involved and the demons were his specialty.

The room fell silent for a moment as they looked down at what was now a pile of dust. The silence only lasted for a moment before it was destroyed by everyone clamoring for attention at once. Only one person remained silent, however.

Blanche backed away from the nucleus of the crowd with a feeling of quiet satisfaction blossoming in her chest. The smallest of smiles graced her pink lips as she regarded the victory. She looked around for Brennan to see his reaction, but she couldn't find him anywhere. Did he disappear for good? Was he just in another room? A sense of dread seeped into her mind as she realized she might never see him again.

"Where are you?" She whispered. She approached the still body on the table and sadly moved the veil from his face. She gently touched his cheek in sorrow. He was now truly dead...

"Agh!" She screamed as the dead man's eyes suddenly flew open and the former corpse took one long, shuddering breath. The crowd turned at the scream and Blanche found herself suddenly shoved aside as everyone tried to get to the coughing man. She just barely got a glimpse of him trying hard to breath before he collapsed against the table unconscious. Her view was cut off and she could only cry out his name in helplessness, "BRENNAN!"



A/N: thank you so much to all my readers and to all those who took the time to leave a review. You guys make me smile. =D See? Smiling. There will be one more chapter after this (yes, I know evil cliffie) and then the sequel comes! And there will be someone we all know and love in this sequel that I am so excited to write in! New adventures and perils for the League and Brennan!
Sign up to rate and review this story