Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Change of Fate

chapter 4

by razial 3 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Fleur,Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2011-07-03 - Updated: 2011-07-03 - 2938 words

4Original
A Change of Fate Chapter 4

(12 Grimmauld Place)

Xander woke up to find Jenny sitting next to him on a bed, holding his hand and occasionally running a hand through his hair. She instantly smiled as she noted that he had woken up. She leaned down and kissed him deeply, which he returned with just as much passion before they broke apart and he was helped into a sitting position. He noted Tara just behind Jenny, but other than that the room was empty.


He tried to recall what had happened to make him wind up in a bed. It took a few moments before he recalled the argument he was having with Dumbledore before he felt what can be best described as an explosion within himself. Dumbledore had been flung into the wall behind him and knocked unconscious. He remembered just before blacking out a sense of freedom and power well up within him.


"How do you feel Alex?" Jenny asked, hoping that whatever had been wrong with him was now over.


"A lot better thanks. It almost feels as if something that was chained inside me, has been finally freed," Xander replied with a smile, running a finger down his wife's cheek making her smile.


"Something did break loose Alex," Jenny informed him seriously: "You have the same kind of magic that I, Tara and every other witch or wizard from the magical world can use," she continued, holding up a hand to forestall his objections. "It seems there was a magical block placed on you after you were born and they kept us from sensing this. The bond was that strong that there was no seepage we could detect or anyone else for that matter," she added.


"This means you'll need to find a wand quickly, as well as learn some magic," Tara put in, from behind Jenny, with a smile. "We've already set Willow on the trail of how you are connected to this world by sending her a list of every magical family we know of and have her check your family tree to find a match," she explained.


Xander took all of this onboard and had to admit that he was shocked to learn that he could do magic. He also had to hand it to Jenny and Tara. They were already on the path to solving this mystery.


"We also think this explains why the other magic you had done or was close to went awry," Jenny spoke up again. "We can use both forms, but we have to be careful. Sometimes the two will not mix. We think the love spell you had Amy do, as well as one or two others things that had exploded in your face all reacted badly to your caged magic," she explained their theory.


"So I now can now use the magical world's type of magic once I get a wand and start getting some training," Xander finally concluded. "Strange and yet I find the very idea intriguing, let's hope I find it easy to learn magic," he added, as he slowly tried to stand, only to be restrained by Jenny.


"No, just rest for now," Jenny told him. "The block, once it broke caused you to fall ill. You had a high fever and you were tossing and turning in pain for most of the day," she told him. "We were worried, but the worst of it seems to have passed now, but it must have left you weakened and in need of rest, so don't even think of moving," she added with a slight glare at her husband, who wisely just grinned back before he nodded in acceptance.


"I'll go and make you something to eat and drink," Tara said, before she left the room leaving the two alone.


Xander pulled Jenny to his side and she easily curled up to it. She was truly relieved to see him back to his full health. She knew the situation here was bad and could cost them both their lives if they were not careful, but she had no plans to lose her life or that of her husband's. This also included her friend's life and that of Harry and his small group of friends, they knew could be trusted. She was still worried however about Dumbledore and what he would do next.


"Just forget about all that for now Jenny," Xander said, easily reading his wife's mood. "For now lets just concentrate and seeing what we can do, to ensure Harry's safety until he can train up some," he told her to which she nodded.


+++


Downstairs Tara had to basically order Mrs. Weasley out of the kitchen, so that she could use it much to the older woman's annoyance, before she stomped of to her room.


Harry and Hermione who had witnessed the exchange had to stifle their laughter, until after she had gone. It was so funny to see the there new comers roll right over Mrs. Weasley, a woman who was so used to having her own way.


The sound of the floo system activating made them turn around to see Fleur enter the room, clearly looking for someone. At seeing Harry, she quickly smiled and moved over and pulled him into a hug much to Hermione's amusement, as she noted how nervous Harry got at this show of emotion from the French girl.


"Hello Harry," Fleur said in greeting, as she finally backed away. "I was hoping we could talk somewhere in private about what happened at the order meeting," she said, stating her reason for being here and quickly noting the suspicious look Harry gained.


"Did Dumbledore send you?" Harry asked, truly hoping Fleur was not one of the ones who were completely loyal to the old man.


Their friendship had been slow to start, as their first meeting had been less than Stella during the Tri-Wizard tournament and yet after the second task, that had changed and they had become good friends. She had also been one of the few who had not dismissed his claims of Voldemort's return and him being the reason for Cedric's murder.


When the tournament had ended and Fleur had gotten ready to leave they had exchanged addresses, so that they could write to one another and he had also promised to write to Gabrielle as well. He had done the same with Victor Krum, who whilst been somewhat dismissive of him at first had soon grown to like and trust him and vice versa.


Their joint love of Quidditch had helped them develop a friendship, from his lost messages he knew Victor was already back training with his current team, but he was keeping a close eye on the growing danger of Voldemort's return now that it had become public knowledge.



"No Harry, I am not here on Dumbledore's orders and I would not come if he had ordered it. I think you know that," Fleur responded, somewhat hurt by the question, but it also added to her growing confusion about the split she sensed between the pair.



Harry nodded in agreement with that, as he knew Fleur was no ones puppet and he was pleased to know that she had not fallen prey to the old man's lies or that of the Weasley's either. He indicated she should sit and then asked Tara to lock the room down and added some silencing and hearing charms, so that they would not be overheard.



Fleur listened as Harry and Hermione explained the situation that was now added to the danger of the threat of Voldemort. At first she wanted to deny it as much as possible, but the more she thought about it, the more it sounded right. She had learned a lot about Harry's life since they had begun writing to each other and she was always disturbed by the constant threats to his life. Now it seemed the headmaster had been secretly rooting for them to happen.

This changed her view of not only the headmaster, but the order he had created and she was a member off. She was at least relieved to know that Harry had some people he could still trust. The most disturbing thing after the headmaster's actions however, was that of the Weasley's. That brought the entire family, including Bill, into a new light for her. If they were after Harry's inheritance through Ginny, was it possible they were also after her for the same reason through Bill?



‘Was it worth the risk to even try and find out?' she wondered internally.



She leaned back in her chair and pondered everything she had learned, which Harry and Hermione allowed her to do, as they understood how big this was to get a handle on. In the end Fleur decided that maybe gaining some distance from Bill and his family was the best idea, until she could determine his true motives for trying to win her affections.



+++



Tara continued to cook something for Xander, as well as Jenny and the others in their group. She didn't bother making anything for anyone else in the house, as Mrs Weasley's seemed more than capable of that and so once done she dished it out, before taking Xander and Jenny's upstairs locking the door behind her as she went. She ignored the looks Ron and Ginny sent her, as she passed them.



Clearly they had been trying to listen in on what was being discussed in the kitchen, but they could not get past the charms she had laid down to prevent that. What they needed here was more help. People they could trust to watch their backs, but they couldn't ask Buffy and the others to come and help, as they were needed to keep watch on the Hellmouth, so that left few options.



Xander looked up as Tara entered the room again and thanked her for the meal as he was truly hungry. Jenny also quickly tucked into her meal as well, after a quick thank you.



Tara sat down and ate her own meal and only once everyone was finished did she bring up Fleur's arrival and apparent loyalty to Harry. She also brought up her idea and trying to find some more help who they could actually trust. Both Xander and Jenny agreed that this was a good idea and stated that they would think about the subject.



Leaning back again Xander wondered if there was anyone they could bring in to actually help them. Buffy and the gang were out, as they needed to protect the Hellmouth. Deadboy and his crew were also out, as they had a lot to deal with up in LA and he did not trust the Initiative not to do something stupid that could get a lot of people killed. No, they needed someone who would be effective and would not cause an incident that could result in a lot of deaths.


‘But who can we turn too?' Xander thought to himself.


+++


(Riddle Manor)


Voldemort looked up from his current calculations for a new ritual, as he noted Daphne Greengrass finally arrive. The young blond was clearly nervous and yet was doing a good job of hiding this fact, which pleased him as it would do her well in the mission he had for her. Bellatrix came in behind her and took a position at the door to ensure no one overheard what was about to be discussed.


"Welcome Miss Greengrass, I trust your parents are well?" he inquired, as the girl finally bowed before meeting his eyes.


"They are Lord Voldemort and they send their regards," Daphne replied, doing everything she could to control herself in front of the Dark Lord who she secretly did not like.


She had met his eyes to ensure he would not actually attempt getting inside her mind. She knew if she kept looking away he would suspect she was hiding something and force his way into her mind and discover her true feelings about him and she wanted to avoid that as much as possible. So she had come with the idea of being as confident as possible and meeting his eyes quickly as if in supplication, so far she had not felt any signs of Legilimency used on her and so she was sure her plan was working. Now she just had to keep it up.


"How nice," Voldemort said coldly, annoyed they had not shown up themselves and decided to send Bella to teach them some manners in respecting him, whilst their daughter did his bidding.


Daphne detected the coldness in his voice and began to get a little more nervous, but she quickly regained control and waited for the Dark Lord to speak again. She did not doubt her parents may be in trouble for refusing to come with her, as suggested by the note they had received.


"I ordered you here so you can aid me in finding out some very vital information I need. Information about a certain prophecy between myself and Potter, it will require you to integrate yourself into Harry Potter's close circle of friends, no matter what it takes," Voldemort finally spoke again. "You will gain his trust and if you must his love to get what I want," he added and she noted his disgust as he mentioned the word love, clearly stating what he thought of it.


"Once you have the information you will return to me and report on it and anything else you've learned. A special portkey will be made for you to use and no one but myself and Bellatrix will know of your placement there, is that understood?" he asked in a dark tone.


"Yes Lord Voldemort," Daphne answered, her mind already jumping ahead to see if there was any way she could turn this to something she could use.


She had a good idea why she had been chosen for this, instead of someone like Pansy Parkinson who was a loyal follower and true believer of Voldemort. It was because she had stayed out of the fighting between Harry and his friends and Draco and his followers at school. She was mostly unknown to Harry, as far as she knew. Would he suspect anything? She doubted he was as stupid as Draco seemed to think he was, considering his continued survival against multiple attempts on his life.


"We will make it look like you are the subject of a Death Eater attack for not being a follower of my crusade and as you and the rest of your family are unmarked that should help in your infiltration," Voldemort continued. "Gather what you may need and then be in Diagon Alley at noon. Do not be late or you will suffer my displeasure," he ordered.


Daphne bowed, quickly turned and left the room exhaling a deep breath, pleased her plan somehow had worked. He had not bothered to invade her mind. She decided if she was going to do this, she would take her sister Astoria with her, just in case the entire thing blew up in her face. She could not leave her sister behind to face what Voldemort and his followers would do to her.


As for her parents she would warn them to be careful, but that was it. They had long ago made the choice not to actively oppose the Dark Lord. They had even helped him when asked, so whatever came, it would be on their own heads she decided.


Back in the room Bellatrix turned to her master after watching the younger girl take her leave, wondering if they could truly trust her to follow her orders. She knew what would happen to the Greengrass family should she either fail or betray their lord so she decided the girl would do, as she was told.


Voldemort himself was certain the girl would do as she was told if it meant protecting her family from his wrath. Soon he would have the information he needed and then he would finally rid himself of Harry Potter's interference forever and then he would turn all of his power to remove Dumbledore finally. That was clearly the way for him to assume his rightful place as ruler of first the magical world and then the muggle world.


+++


(Ministry of Magic)


Narcissa Malfoy smirked as her plan began to pan out, as she suspected with a little money here and there to the right people her challenge to the will would go ahead in a few days. She was certain it would be approved by the Wizengamot, no matter what the goblins had said.


She would have control over the seat and the Black fortune through Draco, who she was sure, would do as he was told. He was too much like his father for her taste and would waste the money if she allowed him too, so she decided to keep a close eye on him.


+++


In another part of the Ministry Dumbledore was rooting through the family records to see if he could find any link between Xander Harris Black and any of the prominent wizarding families, which he could use as leverage over the younger man, so he would do what he ordered.


He needed to keep control over Harry for as long as was necessary for his plans to be successful and at the moment he had no way of doing that. If this did not bear any leads he would look elsewhere for some means of gaining control over Harry's new guardians.
Sign up to rate and review this story