Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Dream On

Kakashi finds out

by Atalanta 1 review

The first of Naruto's old friends discover his return

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Characters: Iruka, Kakashi, Naruto, Tsunade - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-06-03 - Updated: 2006-06-03 - 2500 words

0Unrated
Dream On.

By Chibi Neko Yuy.

A Naruto Fanfiction.

**
Author's Notes: My god, this chapter has been giving me so much hell. I've had to painfully extract most of it, like pulling a tooth. For some reason, I have trouble writing Iruka without him accidentally transforming into Uber Uke. It is my personal belief that Iruka actually hides a lot of his true ability. Why else would he have been chose to teach the class that had the Kyubi vessel in it. With the way the village treats Naruto, I'm sure they did something weird with his academy days too. For those of you who reviewed, I luv ya all!!! Replies and thanks to said reviews are posted on my live journal. You get to it via the link on my bio page. I will be posting the story up there in bits and pieces from now on, also.

Disclaimer: I do not own the series Naruto (both manga and anime), and I do not endeavor to make it seem like I do. The only thing I own the plot of this story. Don't bother suing me, you won't get much and it will cost you heaps in lawyer bills.

**

Chapter Three: Kakashi finds out.

Hatake Kakashi was not a particularly happy person. The deaths of everyone he'd ever held close was the cause of that. His former team-mates and sensei stung the fiercest in his heart. This was why he remained single. It was also why he was always late due to spending so much time at the memorial stone, wishing things could have turned out differently.

All this hadn't been helped by the events of three years ago. Team 7 had been the only team of gennins he had ever passed and he had come to see them like his children. When the team split, each child going off to a different sanin - one abandoning Konoha to do so - he found himself feeling even more lonely than before. This led to him pushing himself too hard in his missions and training.

In other words, Kakashi was in hospital again. Really, they practically had a bed with his name on it these days. He was dozing lightly in said bed when suddenly a gurney was wheeled in, an unconscious figure on it. Tsunade was the one to put the person into the other bed in Kakashi's room and hook them up to various monitors, while the gurney was taken out by the other doctors.

"Who's the patient, Hokage-sama?" Kakashi asked curiously, needing something to distract him from boredom.

"Someone you should recognize, despite the changes in his appearance." Tsunade moved out of the way, allowing Kakashi to see the man on the bed.

"Naruto." Kakashi gasped, seeing the bruised and battered kitsune lying unconscious on the bed, breathing with the aid of an oxygen mask, "When did he get back? What happened to him?"

"Calm yourself, Kakashi. The brat got back a month ago. He lives at the Uzumaki estate now." Tsunade revealed.

"The ANBU estate? Does that mean he's this bashed up from going through the assessment?" Kakashi asked, remembering his own ANBU days.

"Correct. When this stubborn fool wakes up, you really should catch up with him. He may just surprise you." Tsunade smirked and left.

'I wonder what she meant by that.' Kakashi pondered silently. Standing carefully, he moved over to Naruto's bed and sat down in a chair beside it. Looking his former student over, the first thing he noticed were the fox-features. They were kind of hard to miss, what with nine fluffy tails twitching and the ears on the top of his head that were screaming to be tweaked. Honestly, it wasn't Kakashi's fault, those fuzzy appendages were just asking for it. At least, that's what Kakashi said to himself as he reached out and tweaked Naruto's fox ears, rubbing them lightly and discovering just how soft they were.

"Kakashi-sensei, do you make it a habit of rubbing peoples' ears while they're out of it?" came the amused voice of Naruto. Kakashi retracted his hand quickly, a slight blush tingeing his cheeks. Looking down, he saw slit-like blue eyes regarding him with amusement as a clawed hand reached up to remove the oxygen mask.

"Ano..." Kakashi rubbed the back of his head sheepishly.

"Don't worry about it. Jiraiya did the same when I finished merging. Before I learned how to hide my kitsune side." Naruto chuckled as he sat up gingerly.

"Should you even be moving, Naruto-kun?" Kakashi raised an eyebrow. He hadn't even realized that he wasn't wearing his mask and hitae-ate.

"I'm fine. I heal very quickly, thanks to Kyuubi." Naruto reassured, "By the way, I'm surprised to see you without your mask."

"Kuso." Kakashi swore, making Naruto burst into laughter.

"You are one of a kind, sensei." The blonde fox chortled.

Kakashi retrieved his mask and put it back on.

"From what Tsunade told me, I gather that you're ANBU now." The silver-haired Jounin commented.

"Hai. I had my assessment today. Thus my unconscious state. Tsubasa-sama mentioned that you were ANBU once, so you should know what I went through." Naruto smiled slightly.

"One does not forget undergoing the ANBU assessment. Whichever sadistic bastard came up with the process would have gotten along well with Ibiki." Kakashi snorted.

"Apparently it was Ibiki's grandfather that developed the current assessment." Naruto revealed with a smirk.

"By the gods it's good to have you back with us, Naruto. You've always been an endless source of bizarre facts and entertainment." Kakashi chuckled, pulling Naruto into a hug.

"I aim to please. And it's good to see you again, Kakashi-sensei. I had planned to come see everyone as soon as I got back, but I was caught up in ANBU training straight away. In fact, this is the first time I've left the estate. Everyone is ecstatic to have an Uzumaki there again." Naruto returned the hug.

"What do you mean by that?" Kakashi was confused.

"Look, why don't you come with me to my home and we can catch up there. I know for a fact that we're both fully recovered and that sneaking out of here will be easy." Naruto suggested.

"That sounds good to me." Kakashi said.

Both shinobi were about to get up when none other than Umino Iruka burst into the room.

"HATAKE KAKASHI, WHAT HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT PUSHING YOURSELF TOO FAR? Why I even put up with you I don't know!" the chuunin teacher yelled at his lover, making Kakashi cower back against his pillows.

Seeing the legendary Sharingan Kakashi cower from an academy teacher had Naruto crack up and roll off the bed to the floor in laughter. His mirth wasn't helped by the fact that he knew just how scary Iruka could be when in full rant mode.

"Oh sure, laugh at me." Kakashi huffed.

"Well excuse me for getting amused at seeing the legendary Copy-nin Hatake Kakashi getting yelled at by a chuunin academy teacher." Naruto calmed down and stood, still snickering at random intervals.

"Iruka, I'm sure you remember Naruto here." Kakashi said in a fake sweet voice, intending to give Naruto his just desserts. Everyone knew how much Iruka fussed over Naruto.

"Naruto?" Iruka gasped, spinning around to face the blonde. The teacher's eyes widened as he took in Naruto's changed features. His reaction was much like Kakashi's: he reached up and rubbed Naruto's ears. This made Kakashi burst into laughter this time.

"Why did I know that was going to happen?" Naruto huffed.

"How long have you been home? Why are you in the hospital? Are you alright?" Iruka went into fussing mode while pulling Naruto into a hug.

"I've missed you, Iruka-sensei." Naruto murmured, returning the hug. "Come with Kakashi and myself back to my place and I'll tell you both what I've been up to."

"That sounds good, but are either of you supposed to even be moving about?" Iruka asked.

"Don't worry. Thanks to my unique healing, I'm already fully recovered, and Kakashi-sensei is just being lazy by staying here." Naruto stated.

"Very well. Lead the way. I've got no idea where you live now, since your old apartment has been sold." Iruka sighed.

"I live at the ANBU estate now, though you can probably tell that due to my outfit." Naruto revealed.

"By the fact that you were in the main hospital and not just the ANBU one, I take it you finished the trials today?" Iruka raised an eyebrow

"Yup. They were hard. Worse than anything else I've been through. The training was hell too." Naruto nodded.

"It usually is. ANBU amuse themselves by training rookies. I was the one that trained Itachi, so I speak from experience." Kakashi stated.

"No wonder he was so messed up." Naruto muttered, but Kakashi heard him. It earned him a whack on the back of the head.

"You two are as bad as siblings." Iruka laughed as they entered Naruto's house.

"This is Arashi-sensei's old house!" Kakashi gasped in realization.

"Hai. The ANBU estate was left to them by Uzumaki Arashi, the Yondaime and my father." Naruto revealed.

"You-your father?" Kakashi collapsed to his knees in shock.

"Hai. Perhaps, if I revert to my fully human form it will be more obvious." Naruto smiled, closing his eyes as his ears and tails disappeared. When he opened his eyes again, his appearance was almost identical to his father's. He knelt down before Kakashi. They were all in the living room.

"You look so much like him. Why did I never see it?" Kakashi raised a shaking hand to Naruto's face, tears in his eyes - for he had pushed up his forehead protector to look at Naruto properly.

"You hurt from his death, and still hurt from the loss of Obito. Father left me a letter, asking me to watch over you and make sure you weren't hiding behind masks, be they physical or mental." Naruto said softly.

"Yondaime-sama always was so caring. He comforted me that night after I found out about my parents." Iruka commented.

"Both of you are more than welcome to come live here with me. You are both my anikis, after all." Naruto invited, before pulling Kakashi into a hug.

"I am honored that you think of me as such, Naruto." Iruka joined the hug.

"Don't be shocked, you were the first person to acknowledge me, after all." Naruto smiled.

"We're a sorry sight, the three of us crying and hugging." Kakashi chuckled, pulling back to wipe away his tears.

"We're human... more or less." Naruto shrugged, having to change his words as Kakashi playfully tweaked his ears and raised an eyebrow. "Okay, so you two are human and I'm a kitsune. What I was TRYING to point out was that even shinobi have to let go of their cold masks and release their emotions every once in a while. Never showing emotion is no way to live, and can kill you just as easily as a blade can."

"You've grown up and gotten wiser, Naruto. It's a good change." Iruka ruffled Naruto's unruly hair.

**

More Author's Notes: This feels like a good place to stop. Thank god I got this painful chapter out of the way. Hopefully things will flow more smoothly now too. Many apologies for how long this chapter has taken, but like I stated up top, this has been a painful extraction. Thankfully, I'm back in the writing mood and chapter four will be out in a few weeks if things go as planned. I'm still looking for a beta, everyone. I've had one offer, but she knows Gundam Wing better then she does Naruto, so I'm gonna let her at my Gundam Wing stories. Also, I have a question, should I bring Haku into this story? I've got an idea of how to that I don't think has been done before, but I want my readers opinion first. As always, please review and I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Translations:

Sharingan - Sharingan is the blood inheritance limit of the Uchiha Clan. The Uchiha are said to be descendants of the Hyuuga, with the Byakugan changing into the Sharingan over time. This doujutsu (eye skill) gives one the ability to read Genjutsu, Taijutsu and Ninjutsu and then defeat it. As such, the clan member can view a technique being performed and see the tricks and movements required to be able to complete it. However the clan member cannot copy techniques that are unique to another bloodline. The Uchiha clan member is not granted the Sharingan at birth; it is only activated later in life, typically during a time of emotional stress in the heat of battle. The Sharingan itself can be transferred to another non-Uchiha by a medical ninja, such as happened with Leaf ninja Uchiha Obito to his teammate Hatake Kakashi.

Byakugan - Byakugan is the blood inheritance limit of the Hyuuga Clan. The Hyuuga clan was one of the founding noble families of Leaf village. The clan itself is said to be the ancestors of the Uchiha clan who possess the bloodline of the Sharingan eye. When the "Byakugan" is activated, the clan member gains an extra-sensory perception, which gives them penetrating sight and telescopic vision. This allows them to see the tenketsu; the internal chakra coils system 361 pressure points. This vision also grants the member a near 360° view of their surroundings, the higher the skill of the clan member, the further the distance from which they can sense incoming attacks. Unfortunately the vision does have a weakness, a small blind spot that extends outwards from the vertebra of the upper back. The clan uses this ability in conjunction with their own chakra creating the Juuken (gentle fist) fighting style. The clan member can use their fingers or palms to emit chakra to flow into their opponents body's at the tenketsu points. When the hand draws close enough to strike, the clan member can stop or increase their opponent's chakra flow. The internal chakra coils which spread throughout the body also wrap around the internal chakra producing organs. So if the internal coils are attacked, it also damages these internal organs. Because a ninja can not train their internal body, such damage can be a critical hit for even a highly skilled ninja. The tenketsu serve as the connectors and exit points for the chakra pathways. So when they are stopped by the Hyuuga clan member, the ninja greatly loses his or her ability to utilize their chakra for jutsu.

Obito - In the past Uchiha Obito and Kakashi were teammates under the Fourth Hokage. During a mission in the war against Hidden Rock, Obito was killed. His name was later added to the marker honoring Leaf's fallen heroes. It is he that gives Kakashi the quote "Those in the ninja world who break the rules and regulations are called trash... But... Those who don't care about their companions are worse than trash!"
Sign up to rate and review this story