Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > But It's Better if You Do

A Burlesque Queen May Even Ask My Name

by GAClive 2 reviews

"So," she said, "What's a young and fresh chunk of meat doing in this old crypt?"

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Published: 2011-07-29 - Updated: 2012-06-24 - 1099 words

1Ambiance
It didn't take long for Brendon to reacquaint himself with the inside of the cabaret and its orchestra pit. Everyone but the drummer had soon gotten used to the novelty of a new musician and moved back to their respective work. After some pleasant introductions, Brendon left the pit and walked back to the bar area where his favorite place in the whole building was. With a contented sigh he sat down at the old and familiar piano, his fingers tentatively hovering over the ivory and ebony keys before they finally descended to play a slow melody. In dull curiosity the few patrons in the bar turned around to see who was playing before returning to their drinks and mild conversations. Brendon paid them no mind and devoted his time to re-familiarizing himself with the instrument he had so long neglected.

A few cigarette girls mingled through the bar as more patrons began to slowly filter in as the day moved on to night. The girls all moved past his position wondering who the new and handsome pianist was. With a wink to the one closest to him, Brendon left the slow song he played and with little transition flew into a lively rag.

The attitude of the establishment changed immediately. Some men gave a brief cheer and toasted to the lively young man at the keys while others just seemed to have their moods brightened up. As for the cigarette girls they all walked with a bounce to their steps as they made their rounds.

At the far end of the cabaret the door next to the stage opened and a young woman came out to see what all the commotion was about. None of the girls were dancing on stage so surely there was no reason for all the patrons to be noisy and cheerful. It didn't take her long to find the source of the cheer, strutting to the upright piano in just her dressing gown she leaned against the top of the instrument and stared down at the young man before her.

Feeling her presence long before she coughed to get his attention, Brendon looked up into a pair of green eyes in a heart shaped face. "Hello there, I'm Natalie," her voice was smooth in an attitude she reserved only for the men in this establishment. He smiled broadly at her like an eager child. "Hi there!" His overly chipper tone caught her off guard momentarily, not to mention he hadn't replied with his own name. Usually men tried to return her smoothness with whatever suave sophistication they could muster while being inebriated. He winked at her surprised expression before he turned back to his music.

She regained her composure and tried again. "So," she said, "What's a young and fresh chunk of meat doing in this old crypt?" Again, her voice dripped with a silky yet husky sweetness. Again, he flashed her a disarming grin. "Playing piano!" She gave up and chose to just quietly watch him play.

In all honesty, Brendon was not enjoying this woman's company. Sure, she seemed nice enough... but it was the fact that she was too nice in the wrong way that bothered him. She was beautiful, yes, and the quality of her voice suggested that she was a singer here but her citified and polished beauty was nothing in his eyes to Blanche's friendly and gentle looks.

And so he kept his head down for the remainder of the song and only looked up when she finally lost interest and went backstage to prepare for the night's show. He sighed in relief and left the piano for the orchestra pit. He wasn't playing that night but he was supposed to pick up the music for the next show to prepare.

Upon entering, he was mildly surprised to find it almost empty. There was only one other person in the pit and that was Spencer. With a slightly raised eyebrow, Brendon appreciated the awkwardness of the situation as he maneuvered past the drummer. Spencer looked up semi-curiously from tuning his drum before looking back at his work. "I'm sorry if I offended you earlier," Brendon turned his head from the table where the music was, not quite sure if he had heard the mumbling man correctly. "Oh...um... It's ok," he replied. Spencer nodded his head in turn and said nothing else before becoming completely engrossed with his work again.

Brendon shook his head at the drummer's oddities and decided it would be best not to push the stand-offish Spencer. Hell, he thought, that apology was far more than he ever expected to get out of him. He shook his head in mild confusion before he left the pit; time to go get settled in his new home.

After settling it with Shipman to have a talk after the cabaret closed, Brendon headed out of the club pausing once at the door to take in the show that was just starting. It was good to be back, but it was a shame it was under the circumstances that it was.

-

Blanche was, to be frank, overwhelmed when she arrived at her new "home". It was little more than a small, abandoned factory. The bare brick walls loomed up and around her and none of the windows were within easy reach. Above her the high vaulted ceiling hovered above a dust covered floor. There were a few empty crates and some old and random pieces of machinery, but other than that the place was almost empty. It wouldn't be for long though, movers were already bringing in furniture and more crates filled with precious equipment. And by furniture, it was little more than cots and a few light weight chairs and work tables.

And then there was the problem of the lack of actual rooms. It was all just one large room. This would not do at all. "Best get to work then," she nodded to herself. Jr saw her muttering to herself and watched as she started to roll up her sleeves, her mouth pressing into a thin line. He started to back away from her, but it was too late. "Jr!" She shouted at him. "Go grab the tarps from the camping equipments and some poles and meet me in the west corner!" Inwardly he groaned, but he did as he was told. Never get in the way of a woman and her housework.



A/N: As always, I love you guys (hence the fast update). And as always, be sure to rate and review!
Sign up to rate and review this story