Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > Legacy of McBane

Chapter 1

by Oldwolf 1 review

A man of the woods must return to civilzation to protect his life and preserve his bloodline. Assasins eagerly await the last of the McBane family, but they are not the deadliest foes he will face.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-06-06 - Updated: 2006-06-06 - 2763 words - Complete

2Ambiance
A man's splitting wood in a small clearing in a colossal expanse of wilderness. The man's just under six foot tall, with black hair in a crew cut, and has a hard, chiseled physique. He's only wearing a pair of denim jeans as he goes about his task; the only sounds to be heard are the breathing of the man and the sound of the ax he's using as it comes down on the small logs.
Out of the woods walk two men in hand tailored suits. When they catch sight of the man they start walking towards him. When they call out, "Are you Duncan Black?"
The man rests the ax handle against his bare shoulder and turns towards the men. He starts walking towards them and says, "Two things. First, it would depend on who's asking and second you boys are trespassing. Now what the hell do you want?"
"We're with McBane Security. Now, are you Duncan Black?"
"Never heard of him, now get the hell offa my property," the man says before shifting the ax so he's holding it in both hands, ready to be used.
"Please Mr. Black, we need to speak with you on an urgent matter."
The man scowls at the two, "Look boys, lessen you want me to use this here ax to split flesh insteada wood, I'd suggest you haul your asses outta here now."
"Mr. Black, please, this concerns your family."
The man sifts one foot forward and says, "Like I already told you boys, I ain't never hearda no Duncan Black. Now, get the fuck offa my property."
"Please, just a few minutes of your time sir."
The man gives a deep sigh, "Well you boys musta had a hell of a walk to get out here. If ya know these woods it's still a good week's walk from town and I didn't hear no aircraft so, why not?"
He goes over and grabs a flannel shirt, "Come on boys." He rests the ax back on his shoulder and walks towards the small cabin in the clearing.
The cabin looks like it was made out of logs fitted together and sealed with plaster. Opening the door reveals a one room cabin with a good stove, coffee maker, bed, two chairs, and an assortment of other domestic items, most of which are made out of wood.
"You boys want some coffee? I can't offer you no milk or sugar; it's damned expensive out here."
Both men shake their heads, while the man pours himself a cup and takes a seat in one of the chairs, "Now, whatcha boys want to palaver about?"
The men look at each other and say, "Palaver?"
The man rolls his eyes and says, "What do you dumbasses want to discuss? It's no simple jaunt from Jamestown to here, and you boys look like you're from the inner core; so it's safe to assume that you're here for something, now spit it out."
The first man, who's about five and a half feet tall with blonde hair and a swimmers frame says, "We're here looking for Duncan Black. I'm Tomas Green and this is my partner, William Barnes."
The other man's close to six and a half feet tall with light brown hair and a bodybuilder's physique nods his head.
"So you've said before. Now how does this involve me and you commen onta my property without my permission?"
"Well, we've reason to believe that he's somewhere in the area. We have to find him soon."
The man takes a long drink of his coffee, "Now, why would ya want to find this Mr. Black?"
The men once again exchange glances, "Sorry sir, but I didn't quite catch your name."
"That's cause I didn't throw it out."
"Would you please tell us your name sir?"
"My name's Duncan."
"And your last name?"
The man stands up quickly, "Boys, I'm bout to do you a favor and let you in on a little Outer Rim etiquette. Don't go asking a mans second name out here. A lotta these boys are running from a black past. Mosta them are crooks and criminals who've changed their ways and are simply looking to live out their lives in peace. If you'd've asked them that question, most likely they'd've killed you, thinking you're bounty hunters. Now boys, I've got a lotta work to get done today, so if ya want to keep jawing, you're welcome to come along. Otherwise, get your butts offa my property."
With that the man strolls over to the door, picks up a hand ax that he hooks to his belt and grabs a harness. He then opens the door and says, "What's it gonna be boys?"
"We'll tag along sir."
Duncan nods and grabs a second hand ax as he ushers them through the door. He then leads them several dozen yards into the woods before they come to a large tree that's had a good chunk taken out of it by an ax. He tosses the second hand ax, the harness and his shirt on the ground well away from the tree.
"Feel free to say what ever it is ya have to say while I get to work." With that, Duncan swings the large ax at the dent in the tree and takes a good hunk of wood out of the tree.
"Well, Mr. Duncan, as you may know, Grand Duke Lucius McBane died several months ago when his yacht exploded."
"Yeah, I was in town buying supplies a month or so ago, heard bout it, what's it gotta do with me?"
"Well, you see sir; all of the legitimate heirs to the McBane dukedom were on that boat. As such, the historians of the clan started digging, looking for an heir. We believe Duncan Black is the only remaining heir."
Duncan stops swinging the ax and looks at the two, "Alright boys, I'll bite. I'm Duncan Black, now what the fuck makes you think I'm the heir to the McBane name?"
The men exchange relieved looks, "Do you remember your grandfather?"
"Grandpa Mike, sure I remember hearing about him. He died in a shuttlecraft accident."
"Actually, we believe that your grandfather was Grand Duke Mikeal."
"I don't suppose you boys have anyway of ascertaining whether your surmise as to my lineage is fact or simply a case of wishful thinking?"
The men exchange confused looks for a moment before Tomas says, "Indeed we do sir."
Exasperation evident in his voice, Duncan says, "Very well, hurry up so I can fail the damn test and you can haul your asses off my property."
"One question first sir, it regards you manner of speech."
"What about it?"
"Well, when we first met you spoke like a... hmm. How can I phrase this?"
"Try ignorant, backwoods hick."
Tom blanches for a moment, "You put a finer point on it then I was looking for, but still, it'll do. Just a moment ago though, you spoke as a very well educated man. Why the discrepancy?"
"Boys, out here in winter it gets colder then a witch's tit in a brass bra. Frost burn can happen in under thirty seconds during the deepest parts of winter. As you might have noticed, there's not a hell of a lot to do out here that's not manual labor. So, we have an exchange system going, every year or so, we buy the materials for some new degree. Then, during winter, the materials get passed from person to person. If I wanted, I could probably have at least a Bachelors degree in English, Math, and Physics. Now what's the damn test?"
Tom reaches into his coat slowly and then brings out something clasped in his fist. He holds out his hand and reveals a silver ring with some type of impression on it. "This is the McBane ducal ring. It has a build in DNA scanner, it will check you and if you aren't one of the McBane line, it won't let itself to go past the second knuckle." So saying he takes the ring and tries to slip it on his right ring finger. True to predictions, the ring seems to iris close to prevent its going past the second knuckle.
Tom holds the ring between his thumb and index finger; and then extends his arm towards Duncan, "Care to try this on sir?"
Duncan grabs the ring with his left hand, aligns it so he can slip it onto his right ring finger, and slides it on. To his surprise, instead of getting caught at the second knuckle the ring slides all the way down his hand. Once the ring has come to rest against Duncan's first knuckle, it emits a deep red light for a moment before settling down.
Both of the men in front of Duncan drop to one knee and say, "My liege, we swear service, loyalty, and fealty until death."
Duncan gives the two men a strange look before saying, "Ok, boys, if you're gonna continue to waste my time, at least lend a hand."
The men rise, and Tom says, "How can we help Sire?"
Duncan shakes his head, "Grab those tools and step back for a little bit."
Tom and Will pick up the harness and hand axes and comply with their lords command.
When the two idiots are safely out of the way, Duncan uses the ax to create a groove around the tree several inches deep. When he's done, he looks over to the two guards, "Hey big guy, strip outta that jacket. I need to borrow you for a minute."
Will gives Duncan a strange looks as he takes off his suite jacket. "What do you need my liege?"
"I want you to knock a tree down for me; I'd suggest you ditch the shirt too."
Will tosses his shirt on the pile, "Ok sire, what do you need me to do?"
"I want you to knock down this here tree."
The man looks at Duncan as though he's lost his mind, but he assumes a wrestlers stance for a moment before he charges the tree. William hits the tree at a full run in a classic shoulder check and bounces off it. He lands on his ass with a heartfelt curse.
Duncan chuckles quietly before he looks over to Tom, "Feel like having a shot at it?"
The blonde man smiles as he goes over and picks up the ax. He takes several more chunks out of the tree before he places his hand against the trunk and pushes slightly, causing the tree to come down. "Will that work my liege?"
The black haired man starts laughing, "Least one of you has some brains."
Will looks at Duncan incredulously while Tom breaks up laughing.
The big bodybuilder stands up, "My liege, were you anyone else, I'd kick the crap outta you."
Duncan laughs, "Feel free to try. I think you'll get a major surprise."
Will shakes his head, "No thanks, I've seen enough warriors to know the breed and you fit to a tee."
The dark haired man chuckles, "Alright guys, let's get this stripped down and ready for delivery."
The three men spend the next three hours stripping off branches, leaving only enough for good hand holds. Duncan finally takes pity on the two exhausted men and calls it for the day.
The bodyguards look at their charge in wonderment; he'd worked the two of them into the ground and still got more done then the both of them.
Duncan is frying up local steaks when he asks the pair, "Guys, I hate to ask this but, if my lineage is traced to my grandfather, then why haven't you looked up my father or siblings?"
"Well Duke McBane..."
"Hold it right there, for now, it's just Duncan. I'm no noble yet."
"Very well, Duncan, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you are the last heir to the McBane name. Your father and all of his children met with so called accidents."
Duncan looks over his shoulder at the other man, "So I take it you don't buy it?"
Tom swallows nervously, "Not really. One can be an accident, but eight? No way, they were assassinated the same as the Grand Duke."
Duncan turns back to the stove, "Which I'll assume is why you're here. Like I said guys, I'm not interested. All I want is to be left in peace, I've spent the better part of ten years getting lost and I don't want to be found."
The other two reluctantly shut up about the matter, knowing any further argument at this point is useless.
_____
Later that night, well after the sun has gone down, a lone figure approaches the cabin with murder on his mind.
Duncan can sense that something's out of place, he grabs his pulser as he heads for the back door, "Hey guys, stay in here; I'm going for a quick walk."
Neither of the bodyguards is happy at being left behind, but both also know their duty.
The would-be assassin approaches the front door while his intended victim slips out the back.
Duncan silently circles around the cabin until he sees a man dressed all in black. He smiles as he sees the light-repeater in the man's hand; a gun like that had only one purpose, to kill humans. Duncan smiles predatorily as he mentally envisions the assassin's weapon, thinking that it bears a frank resemblance to a picture he'd seen of an old weapon called an Uzi as he prepares to hit the dirt as he says, "Looking for me chum?"
The man spins around and the sharp staccato of the weapon fills the air as the killer fills the air where the voice came from with darts.
Duncan dives to the ground as soon as he finishes speaking. He brings his handgun into alignment and the pulser whines once as it sends an explosive dart into the man's chest just above the collarbone, completely severing his head in the process.
The door to the cabin opens and a moment later Tom sticks his head out to find his lord patting down a body that's been blown apart. "My liege..."
"It's alright Tom, I think the guy's alone." Duncan goes over and picks up the man's severed head and removes the helmet, "I don't recognize him; you two?"
Both of the bodyguards are shaken at Duncan's raw callousness but shake their heads.
Duncan places the head near the body as he goes back to searching it. He stops and whistles when he finds the man's wallet, "Uh guys, I'm starting to reconsider that offer of protection."
Will and Tom go over to their liege lord and whistle at what they find, half a dozen golden strips.
Tom closes his eyes and whistles again, "Duke, that's over five million credits in your hands."
The dark haired man shakes his head as he stands up, shocked, "Alright guy, let's get this bastard stored till morning and then talk about this whole 'Duke' thing."
The three men get the assassin covered up before they go back into the cabin.
Duncan takes his normal seat, "Alright guys, give me the inside scoop on what I can expect if I accept this nobility thing."
Tom speaks up, "As a grand duke you will have a great many privileges, the entire wealth of the McBane family, which is not inconsiderable, general anonymity within your own fiefdom. You'll also be able to command the troops of the McBane family and the subjects will also be at your command."
Duncan looks decidedly irked while Tomas and William exchange looks, finally Tom says, "So you've decided to accept the position my liege?"
The mountain man leans back in his chair, "It's not like I have a lot of options. If they sent a bastard out here to kill me and paid him five million credits, then they're not about to give up and sooner or later they'll get lucky. Thus if I wish to live, my only chance is to kill them before they can kill me."
Neither of the bodyguards are thrilled to hear their lord's reasoning, but they aren't about to object.
Duncan continues, "Mac should be here tomorrow or the day after to pick up that tree. After that we can make for Jamestown to grab a shuttle to wherever."
The three men hit the sack shortly thereafter, each with at least one hand on a pulser.
Sign up to rate and review this story