Categories > Books > Harry Potter

Giving Up and Giving In

by Cassie 1 review

Ginny has a dream while dealing with Harry's death that may help her in doing the right thing with her kids. Ginny sees what life would be like without them, and realizes what the right thing is. P...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Ginny, Hermione, Ron, Other - Published: 2006-06-08 - Updated: 2006-06-08 - 4274 words - Complete

-1Cliche

Ginny Potter stared into the depths of the dark, steaming, coffee mug, not listening to a word her mother was saying.

"Ginny, dear, think of the children; you'd be letting them down!"

Ginny watched the steam rising in spirals from the cup.

"Ginevra, are you listening to me?"

Momentarily pulled from her reverie, Ginny looked up at her mother.

"Mum, I don't know if I can do it with Harry gone; It's more difficult than you think!"

Molly Weasley laughed, as if this were the most ridiculous argument she'd ever heard.

"Ginny, what I think is that you love those children, and that you wouldn't want to send them away; You've lost Harry, and you wouldn't want to loose them, that's what I think!"

Sighing, Ginny pushed the cup across the table to her mother.

"I'm going to bed." Molly shook her head.

"Fine, but sleep on it, Ginny dear."

Ginny was about to head up the stairs, when a young girl of ten came trudging down them.

"Mummy, Gram?" Lily Potter's eyes were wide with curiosity and worry.

Ginny sighed. "What's the matter, Lily, darling?"

Lily looked from her mother to her grandmother. "I was having another a bad dream."

Molly was looking at her granddaughter with eyes filled with sympathy.

Ginny gave her mother a look, and turned to her daughter. "Why don't you go on up to bed, Lily dear, I'll come say goodnight in a moment."

Lily nodded, and hurried back up the stairs. Molly was studying Ginny carefully.

"Do you think she overheard you?" Ginny shrugged.

"I don't know, I need to get some sleep; see you in the morning, Mum."

Mrs. Weasley said goodnight to her daughter and watched her walk up the stairs. If Ginny sent her children away, Molly concluded, it would be the worst decision of her life.



Ginny walked into Lily's room in time to see her flop carelessly onto her bed with a look of pure misery on her face. She looked frightened about something.

"Lily, are you alright?" Lily shook her head.

"I had a nightmare about dad again." Ginny sighed and sat down next to her daughter.

"Lily, it was only a dream; there is nothing to be afraid of."

"Muuuuuuuum!" Seven-year-old James Potter cried, racing into the bedroom with his broomstick in hand.

Ginny jumped up from the bed, slightly frazzled.

"James Remus Potter, what on earth are you doing?" James lept onto Lily's bed.

"Get off of my bed, you freak!" Ginny groaned. "Lily, please!"

Not a moment after this, five-year-old Sirius Arthur Potter came scurrying in, and bounced onto the bed beside James.

"Muuuuuum, make them get off!" Lily was shrieking.

Sighing, Ginny grabbed each boy around the waist, and pulled them out of the room.

"What in the name of Merlin are you two doing?"

James was grinning wickedly. "Playing a game of Quidditch at night!" Ginny groaned, as Sirius attached himself to her legs.

"Sirius, off!" Ginny tried to shake him loose. "Lily, please, help me!"

Reluctantly, Lily came out into the hall, looking annoyed. "Sirius, get off of Mum; James, shut up and stop playing with your bloody broom!"

Ginny looked aghast. "Lily, language!"

"Well, he's the one being a foul git!"

"Lily Jane Potter!"

"Ow, mum, make her stop hitting me!"

"Kids, all of you, quit now!"


Ginny Potter sighed, and fell back against the pillows. It had taken nearly an entire hour to get the kids back into bed. That's how things were without Harry. Ginny had a hard time dealing with all three of her children without her husband.


Why did Harry have to die? The Chosen One with three kids? It was unfair. Lily was still having bad dreams about it; it had happened nearly three months ago. Ginny couldn't explain how bad she felt for Lily.


Of course, she felt for all of her kids, but Lily was the one who saw him die; she had been standing right there.

~Flashback~

"LILY, STAY BACK!" Harry Potter threw his nine-year-old daughter out of the way of Voldemort's wand. She slammed hard into the front door of the house, falling to the ground.

"Daddy, daddy, no!" Lily jumped up from the ground, and started racing towards her father. "Dad, please, someone help!"

"LILY, NO, GET BACK!" Gasping, Lily fell to the ground and pressed herself against the grass. She held up her mother's wand, which she just happened to be carrying in her pocket.

Pointing it directly at the man called "Lord Voldemort", Lily fired off the first spell that came to her mind. "Avada Kedarva!"

The spell backfired, and shot in the direction of the house, where Ginny Potter was charging out the front door. Lily screamed. "MUM, DUCK!" Ginny let out a shriek and ducked as the spell it the house.

Lord Voldemort was laughing a cold, cruel laugh. Harry was having a difficult time fighting him. Lily was lying on the ground, screaming. Ginny was standing at the house, petrified.

"GINNY, TAKE LILY AND RUN!" Harry was firing off spells in every which direction. "Harry, no, we aren't leaving you!" Ginny was yelling. Harry looked angry. "GINNY, GRAB LILY AND GO, NOW, I'LL BE FINE!"

Lily jumped up and ran to her mother. "Mum, go, run!" Ginny grabbed Lily's wrist. "Come on, to the back of the house!" Lily took off after her mother, racing behind the tiny, yellow, house. "Mummy!" A voice was shouting from an open window.

"BOYS!" Ginny shrieked, reaching up to pull both of her sons out of the side window. James and Sirius looked shaken up. "Boys, come on, run!" Ginny led her three scared children around to the back of the house.

She threw James and Sirius to the ground, where they crawled quickly under the porch. "LILY, GET DOWN!" Lily pulled away from her mother. "Mum, no, we have to save daddy!" Ginny grabbed Lily around the waist. "Lily, now, I'm not loosing you!" Lily yanked her self away.

"Let go, I have to help him!" She raced around the corner to the front yard just in time to see the Avada Kedarva curse it her father squarely in the chest. "DADDY!"


~End Flashback ~


Shuddering, Ginny rolled over on her other side and stared up at the ceiling. Her eyes were filling fast. How was she going to deal with Lily's dreams? Sirius's Dyslexia? James's attitude? God, he was just like Harry. Bossy, obnoxious, easily annoyed, and that untidy black hair. Ginny sighed, and after a few long minutes of pondering, she fell asleep. She was nowhere without Harry.



Chapter two~ Hermione's Offer


Ginny was sitting on the front porch of Ron and Hermione's house, sipping lemonade in the rocking chair. "Ginny, you can have time to think about it."

Ginny sighed. "Hermione, I can't leave my children, they've already lost their father." Ron reached out and took his sister's hand. "Gin, it wouldn't be forever, and we're family, it's better us than someone else!"

Ginny shook her head. "I don't know, Ron... what about Lily, she's so upset right now!" Hermione sighed, and reached out for Ginny's other hand. "Ginny, we can handle it, you're the one who's having trouble raising three children, Ron and I will take good care of them, Ginny!"

Ron nodded. "Yes, and you can visit them anytime you like, it'd be good for all of us!" Ginny sighed. "It's just hard; I've already lost Harry..." Hermione shook her head. "Yeah, but your not loosing your children, your letting us take care of them for a little while, it's not the same thing, Gin!" Ginny sighed and leaned against Hermione's shoulder. "I feel like it is."


That night, Ginny was sitting at the kitchen table in the Burrow, trying to help Sirius write his letters.

"Mummy, where does this one go?" Ginny sighed wearily.
"Right here, honey." She pointed at a spot on the paper, and Sirius wrote the letter "R" there.
"Am I getting better, mummy?" Ginny nodded. "Yes, sweetheart, your doing great."

"Mum?" Ginny looked up from the table. Lily was standing at the foot of the stairs, holding something in her hand.

"What is it, Lil?" Lily cleared her throat. "Have you ever lied to me, mum?" Ginny was slightly taken back.

"N-no, sweetie, why?" Lily looked solemn as she crept over to the table. "So, if I ask you something, will you promise to tell me the truth?" Ginny nodded. "Of-of course, dear."

Lily took a deep breath. "You've been acting weird since my birthday party last month."
Ginny shook her head. "Oh, Lily, sweetie, if this is about me being depressed, I'm fine, I'm only-"No, mummy, that's not it." Lily interrupted her mother.

Ginny nodded. "Okay, then what is it?" Lily sighed. "Mum, at my party...you were talking to Uncle Ron and Aunt Mione outside...I, well, I kinda overheard what you were saying...you want to get rid of us?"

Ginny froze. She'd known for this long? She hadn't been acting weird, not as if she knew anything...

"Lily, no, it's...It's not like that, I only wanted to help you and your brothers, I wanted to keep you safe, and give you time and space to get over what happened!"

Lily shook her head and held out her hand. "Mum, I found this, I know what's going on, you want to get rid of us!" Lily's voice was rising. Ginny bent forward to see what was in her hand. It was a note, well, a hand out from a local Foster Home. The look on Lily's face told Ginny she was devastated.

Ginny took a deep breath. "Lily, no, I'm not sending you there, it was only an option, and I regret even considering it." Lily laughed, bitterly.

"Mum, you'd think after dad died you'd want us here, ya know, at least you'd have someone left!" Ginny sighed. "Lily, please, I want you here, I do!" Lily shook her head. "I know what your doing, your gonna send us to live with Ron and Hermione, it's not fair!" Ginny tried to interrupt. "Lily, it would only be for a little while, I can't handle this, I'm trying my best, I-"No, your not trying, you've never given up, you've never given in, why do you have to start now?"


"Kids, come down here, please!" It was one week later, and Ginny stood at the bottom of the steps, waiting for a sudden scramble of footsteps on the stairs. There was, just moments later. James and Sirius came bounding down them at full speed, followed by Lily, who was trudging and taking her sweet time.


"Kids, do you have your things packed?" James and Sirius both nodded solemnly. "We have our suitcases in the car already." Sirius said, wrapping his arms around her waist. Ginny sighed. "Okay, honey, what about you, Lily?" Lily was glaring at her mother.

"Lily, honey, it's only for a while." Ginny said softly, reaching up for Lily's hand. Lily didn't take it. "My suitcase is in the car." She said in a voice that was barely audible. Ginny nodded. "Okay, um... I think Uncle Ron and Aunt Mione are here." Lily nodded and followed her brothers into the kitchen.

"Kids, we're here!" The front door opened, and Ron and Hermione walked into the Burrow, hand in hand. "Aunt Mione!" Sirius ran across the room and jumped into Hermione's arms. "Hey, sweetie, how are you?" Sirius shrugged. "Fine."

Hermione glanced tentively at her sister in law. Ginny forced a smile. "You three ready to go?" Ron asked them. James shrugged. "Will you play Quidditch with us, Uncle Ron?" Ron grinned. "I'd be happy to."

James nodded. "Okay, then, I'm ready...when are we coming back here?" Ron looked thoughtful; he glanced at Hermione. She shrugged. "Well, maybe for dinner on Saturday night?" Ginny nodded. "I'd love that, how about you three?" James and Sirius nodded. Lily stayed silent.

Ginny sighed. "Okay, well, you'd better get going now, I'll see you on Saturday...I'll miss you." She pulled James and Sirius into a hug. Sirius was crying. "Bye, mummy." Ginny kissed his head and spun him around once before letting go. "Bye, sweetheart, I love you."

"What about me, Mum?" Ginny laughed as James crossed his arms. "Okay, your turn." James laughed as Ginny spun him around. "Bye, honey, I'll miss you." James nodded. "I'll miss you, too." Ginny brushed her face with the back of her hand. "Lily?"

Lily walked slowly towards her mother. "Bye." She said stiffly. Ginny let out a sob, and pulled Lily into a hug. "Lil, I'm sorry, I promise, it'll be better now, for all of us." Lily shrugged. "Whatever." Hermione came forward and took Lily's hand. "Come on, Sweetie, your Mum is very sorry, she's only doing what's best for you." Lily sighed. "I guess." Ginny patted Lily on the shoulder. "I'll see you Saturday, Sweetheart, be good and have fun...I'll miss you."


Lily nodded. "I'll miss you, too." Ginny took a shaky breath. "I love you, Lily." Lily didn't say anything. She turned to Hermione. "Let's go, I'm ready to leave." Hermione nodded. She gave Ginny a look of sympathy. "I'm sorry." She mouthed. Ginny shrugged. "Your family, right?" Hermione sighed. "Yeah...we'd better get going...I'll call you, okay?" Ginny nodded. "Right, well, get out of here, all of you!" Ginny was laughing through her tears. Hermione smiled, but her eyes were shining. "Okay, bye, Gin." Ginny sighed. "Bye, Mione."

Hermione turned and walked through the front door, with her arms around Lily. Ron followed, one hand holding onto Sirius, and the other onto James. Ginny choked on her tears and laughed when she heard Sirius ask, "Aunt Mione, will you help me with my letters tonight?" on their way out the door.



Chapter Three~ Starting to Heal


"Aunt Mione, make her get off me!" Eight-year-old James Potter begged, as his sister continued in her attempt to hit him in the head with her "How to Brew the Finest Potions" book.
Sighing, Hermione Weasley put down the dishes she'd been drying, and marched into the living room. "Lillian, please get off your brother; James, take your shoes off in the house."

Lily stuck out her tongue at her brother as she stood from the couch and headed for the stairs. James rolled his eyes, and ran out the front door. Hermione sighed. Her niece and nephew fought over everything. All the time. Sirius was the only well behaved one in the family!

"Auntie Herms, when will Uncle Ron be home?" Six year Sirius had wondered into the kitchen, carrying a broomstick in one hand. Hermione shook her head.

"I don't know, sweetie, but I'm sure he'll be happy to play Quidditch with you once he's had his dinner."

Sirius groaned. "But I wanna play Quidditch now!"

Hermione shrugged. "Sorry, honey, there's nothing I can do: why don't you give your mummy a call?" Sirius's face lit up. "Yay, mummy!" Hermione smiled as Sirius grabbed the telephone and dialed his mother's phone number.

"Hello, Ginny speaking." Ginny Potter always answered the phone in the same fashion, even when she knew for a fact who was on the other end.

"Mummy, it's me, Sirius!"

Ginny melted into the phone. "Sirius, honey, it's so good to hear your voice, how're you?"

Sirius shrugged. "Good, I guess...I really wanna play Quidditch, but Uncle Ron's not home from work yet."

Ginny laughed. "Sounds rough, little man...what're your sister and brother up too?"

Sirius thought for a moment. "Well...Lily and James got in trouble for fighting, James went outside for something, and Lily is upstairs in her room...and Aunt Mione is washing the dishes."

Ginny sighed. "What did James and Lilly do now?"

Sirius shrugged. "I dunno...hey, Uncle Ron's home, bye, mummy!" He thrust the phone at his aunt.

Ginny was laughing. "Hello, hello?" Hermione sighed, and held the phone to her ear. "Ginny?"

Grinning, Ginny sighed. "Hello, Mione...sorry, Sirius evidently got tired to talking!"

Hermione laughed. "That's alright, he saw Ronald pull in."

Ginny nodded. "So...what's the matter with Lily and James?"

Hermione sighed. "Oh, It's no big deal, Gin, they were fighting over the television remote!"

Ginny laughed. "Oh, alright then...how is Lily doing?"

Hermione shrugged. "She seems to be fine...you're coming for dinner tomorrow night, right?"

Ginny nodded. "Yes, why?"

Hermione sighed. "Ginny...it's been eight months...don't you think the kids might want to go back home?"

Now it was Ginny's turn to sigh. "Mione..."

Hermione shook her head. "I mean, if not...I was only suggesting...I just thought maybe...I'm sorry, Gin."

Ginny moaned softly into the receiver. "Oh, Mione, you know I miss them so much...but I'm not sure if I can handle it....just being around them twice a week for dinner is hard enough!"

Hermione nodded. "Well, maybe we could start small...they could come home on the weekends, or something to that effect."

Ginny nodded. "Good idea, Mione...we should try it...I mean, I can't wait forever...I miss my kids, Mione, I really do."

Hermione sighed. "I know you do, Gin...I know you do."




Part Two~ Moving On



"Thanks, you two...really, I mean, without you, I'd be nowhere..." Ronald Weasley smiled, and pulled his sister into a hug. "Anytime, Gin...that's what family is for."

Ginny Potter smiled through her tears as her eleven-year-old daughter, Lily's voice echoed around the small Church. "Mum!"

Ginny spun around as Lily came running and jumped into her mother's arms. "Oh, Lily, I'm so happy to have you back!" Ginny sobbed. Yes, she was crying....but this time, they were happy tears.


Ten minutes later, Ginny was sitting in the very last pew at the back of the Church, with her daughter's head on her shoulder, her youngest son in her lap, and the other on her other side. Ron and Hermione sat on Lily's other side, holding hands, and fawning over their three-month-old baby girl, Samantha.


Ginny smiled, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand, as the Minister spoke at the front of the Church.


"And through all that we go through, and all that we loose, all that we see in life, one thing remains. Remains stronger than anything. And that one thing is family. The only part of you that you have left at the end of the day, not matter what you've accomplished, is family. And even when you feel like you are going to loose it, have it taken away in an instant, hold on to it. Know that it is the most fragile and yet, important thing in life, the only thing that keeps us going when we feel like giving up. Cherish it, treasure it. Hold on to your family. You never know when it may leave you, when the ones you love the most might fall through the veil of which we've come to know as death. Hold on to your family. Hold on to your family, and know that even when you are apart from those who love you, from those which you love, that they are still with you, in the place that matters most. They're with you in your heart."



"LILY, STAY BACK!" Harry Potter threw his nine-year-old daughter out of the way of Voldemort's wand. She slammed hard into the front door of the house, falling to the ground.

"Daddy, daddy, no!" Lily jumped up from the ground, and started racing towards her father. "Dad, please, someone help!"

"LILY, NO, GET BACK!" Gasping, Lily fell to the ground and pressed herself against the grass. She held up her mother's wand, which she just happened to be carrying in her pocket.

Pointing it directly at the man called "Lord Voldemort", Lily fired off the first spell that came to her mind. "Avada Kedarva!"

The spell backfired, and shot in the direction of the house, where Ginny Potter was charging out the front door. Lily screamed. "MUM, DUCK!" Ginny let out a shriek and ducked as the spell it the house.

Lord Voldemort was laughing a cold, cruel laugh. Harry was having a difficult time fighting him. Lily was lying on the ground, screaming. Ginny was standing at the house, petrified.

"GINNY, TAKE LILY AND RUN!" Harry was firing off spells in every which direction. "Harry, no, we aren't leaving you!" Ginny was yelling. Harry looked angry. "GINNY, GRAB LILY AND GO, NOW, I'LL BE FINE!"

Lily jumped up and ran to her mother. "Mum, go, run!" Ginny grabbed Lily's wrist. "Come on, to the back of the house!" Lily took off after her mother, racing behind the tiny, yellow, house. "Mummy!" A voice was shouting from an open window.

"BOYS!" Ginny shrieked, reaching up to pull both of her sons out of the side window. James and Sirius looked shaken up. "Boys, come on, run!" Ginny led her three scared children around to the back of the house.

She threw James and Sirius to the ground, where they crawled quickly under the porch. "LILY, GET DOWN!" Lily pulled away from her mother. "Mum, no, we have to save daddy!" Ginny grabbed Lily around the waist. "Lily, now, I'm not loosing you!" Lily yanked her self away.

"Let go, I have to help him!" She raced around the corner to the front yard just in time to see the Avada Kedarva curse it her father squarely in the chest. "DADDY!"


Ginny Potter woke up, sweating. She could've swore...the dream had felt so real. Needing to be reassured, Ginny climbed out of bed and crept down the hall and into the room James shared with Sirius. They were both asleep in their beds. Smiling, Ginny peered into Lily's room. She was moving around under the covers. Sighing, Ginny went back into her bedroom and crawled into bed. She still had her kids. She hadn't given up, after all.



"Ginny, you can have time to think about it."

Ginny sighed. "Hermione, I can't leave my children, they've already lost their father." Ron reached out and took his sister's hand. "Gin, it wouldn't be forever, and we're family, it's better us than someone else!"

Ginny shook her head. "I don't know, Ron... what about Lily, she's so upset right now!" Hermione sighed, and reached out for Ginny's other hand. "Ginny, we can handle it, you're the one who's having trouble raising three children, Ron and I will take good care of them, Ginny!"

Ron nodded. "Yes, and you can visit them anytime you like, it'd be good for all of us!" Ginny sighed. "It's just hard; I've already lost Harry..." Hermione shook her head. "Yeah, but your not loosing your children, your letting us take care of them for a little while, it's not the same thing, Gin!" Ginny sighed.

"I can't...I have to do this myself, I have to take care of my kids...I can't leave them now, they've already lost their father....but thanks for the offer, you two, it was very kind of you."

Hermione nodded, and pulled Ginny close. "I understand", she whispered, "And if you ever need anything, you know where we live, alright?" Ginny nodded. "Alright."



"Muuuuuum, I don't get it, I can't write my R's right!" Sirius threw down his quill in frustration. Ginny sighed. "It's okay, sweetheart; here, let mummy show you again."

"Mum, James won't get out of my room!" Lily Potter called from up stairs.

"I didn't do anything, Ow, hey, mum, make her get off me!" The voice of James Potter rang out soon after.

"Kids, please. I'm trying to help your brother with his letters!" Ginny called up to them.

Both Lily and James fell silent. They sometimes felt bad about bothering their mother with their squabbling, especially when she was trying to help Sirius.

"Sorry, mum!" They called out in unison. "Can we help?"

Ginny smiled. "Of course, come down here!" Lily and James bounded down the stairs. Lily smiled reassuringly at her littlest brother. "Awww, don't get upset buddy, here, let me show you how to do it!"

She reached across the table and started to help Sirius's hand move in the right direction. His face lit up moments later, with Ginny and James watching from the opposite side of the table.

"Mummy, look, I did it, Lily helped me!" Lily beamed, proud of herself. James gave her a high-five. Ginny smiled at her youngest son. "Great job, sweetie...thanks, Lil." She reached across the table and patted Lily's hand.

Lily smiled. "No problem....hey, James, you wanna go play some Quidditch?" James grinned. "Heck, yes, I do!" Lily laughed. "Alright then, come on...hey, you wanna play, mummy?"

Ginny glanced cautiously at Sirius. "Well, I dunno...." Sirius looked up, his eyes sparkling. "I'll play!" Ginny and Lily both smiled. Ginny jumped up from the table. "Alright then, let's hit the field!"

Laughing, her three children followed her out the front door and to the Quidditch pitch, where a long and tiresome game of Quidditch ended with these results: James and Ginny-320, Lily and Sirius-122.

The End~ ;-)


Well...there you have it. It is a short story, unless I receive twenty or more reviews begging for a sequel...which I highly doubt, so I'm sorry to all you Sequel-Freaks out there!! If you like it, review it! Ask for a sequel. If you don't like it, review it any way! Hope you like, though...that is the point. Hehe. Thanks for reading! Pleeeez R&R!

Cassie~
Sign up to rate and review this story