Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto

Great Failures

by nettles 0 reviews

At the rate he's going, Naruto will be held back another year. He won't catch up, and that isn't allowed in his world.

Category: Naruto - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Naruto - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-06-09 - Updated: 2006-06-10 - 599 words - Complete

2Insightful
Hokage /know/. Naruto wants that. He decides this on his first day at the Academy, where all the girls giggle at him and the boys outright laugh.

"Am I going to get held back again?" Naruto asks. He looks angry, but not sad, so Iruka can be relieved. His job as a teacher shouldn't extend to sympathizing drop-out cases with bad attitudes. That boy should be more respectful.

"Not if you pass the make-up exam."

"I'll do it then, bye!" Naruto stomps off. Iruka is smiling and wonders if he should tell him that it'll be after school tomorrow. But Naruto will know, expect and demand it as soon as possible, since he always stays after school to play. Iruka never goes outside when he sees the other boys playing. The mischievous ones are always together. Aside from being a teacher, he is a Chuunin, and he remembers how hard it was to get this position, so he is cautious about his acquaintances.

On the make-up exam, Naruto gets a worse mark. How is it possible to fail worse? Iruka-sensei must've been unfair. Look at Chouji and Shikamaru: they get better than him! Naruto thinks that there's a conspiracy, that dopey-eyed guy, Shikamaru, must be smart or something, but he hangs out with that dumbass Chouji.

He is going to be held back another year. At this rate, he won't catch up, and that isn't allowed. Naruto stares at the Hokage monuments and kicks it. They're all so ... big. He's so little and everyone's taller than him. When his face gets put up there, he'll be bigger an' taller than everyone. His shadows will stretch farther than Shikamaru's. Maybe not faster, though.

Naruto wishes he had some special trademark attack instead of the hair. They make fun of his hair, saying, "Why's it yellow? Did you color it, stupid?" Naruto wonders if that Yondaime guy really had yellow hair. Was it as yellow as his? Naruto bet his was a brighter yellow. People would one day say, "Wow, that Naruto Hokage sure had awesome hair." He thinks he should paint the Hokage one day. They deserve to be shiny and colorful. People like color, don't they? Those color pictures incite a lot more 'wow's. Naruto decides to paint his shirt; black is too plain and he might as well match his shirt.

Naruto is on a journey to find out what he should know to be Hokage. He tries to cut down a tree, but gives up because the tree is too wide and his kunai is dull. Why'd that tree have to be so fat, anyways? Just like that Chouji. That boy reads as well as he does, so why aren't their marks always the same on written tests? Iruka-sensei was mean, sometimes.

It gets cold and he does not have food or blankets with him. Naruto returns.

The next morning, the sun wakes him up, but Naruto is warm and cozy in his bed. He decides to skip school today.

Iruka-sensei asks where he was yesterday. Naruto says, "I don't know. I was on a journey. Resting is a big part of a shinobi's life, wasn't it, Iruka-sensei? You said so yourself." Iruka is quieted and smiles at him. Naruto looks at him strangely. Iruka-sensei was nice to him. Haha! So maybe his pencil or the desk or maybe his make-up test got switched with someone else's. Naruto grins jovially. He'll prove it to sensei on the next test.

Naruto fails the last test of the semester. But he laughs anyways; it's a better score this time.
Sign up to rate and review this story